Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #31  

Height: 5'-2"

What about ponchos and North Star running shoes.
Oh, and Earth Shoes.

Donna, what's a laughing bag?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #32  
Running Babe

I had a poncho with Smurfette on it... I was 7 I also had strawberry shortcake sheets, 7 CPK and a few Care Bears.... I also loved jumping rope and hop-scotch and skip it and even hula hoops and blowing bubbles and taking my bike out just for fun.... I hope kids still do the latter stuff.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:29 PM   #33  

The laughing bag was this small box with a recording of this guy repeatedly laughing and it was in a sack and when someone picked it up it would go off and everyone within earshot couldn' t help but laugh. It really worked.

I wasn't much for dolls, but had this one called Chatty Cathy and you put a record in her side and then pulled the string to make here talk.

One of my favorites was Incredible Edibles. You put this gel of all different colors into these metal molds and into a small oven(heated with a light bulb, much like the easy bake oven) and it made bugs that you could eat. I wasn't into the easy bake cupcakes and such. I thought the bugs and caterpillars were cool. I also had batman roller scates with glow in the dark bat wings. They were really cool.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:11 PM   #34  

Lite Brite! I always wanted one as a kid, so I got one for MY kids!
And Holly Hobby dolls.

Lizzie, my DH always beats me at board games, and it makes me want to kill him.

Does anyone remember those tiny dolls with "real" hair that were in a clear plastic bubble and hung on a string around your neck? They had different smells like strawberry, etc.

Jenn, the music on that Strawberry Shortcake site FREAKED ME OUT! Cool site.

Leenie, I remember those disgusting wax lips. And that candy... I'd forgotten all about it! Cola was my favourite, too.

The Popeye cigarettes no longer having the glowing red end. I still smoke them on occasion.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #35  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis
Does anyone remember those tiny dolls with "real" hair that were in a clear plastic bubble and hung on a string around your neck? They had different smells like strawberry, etc.
Little Kiddles???
Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #36  

Oh my gosh! Yes, Noodles! Thanks!! I'm going to check out some sites...
Old 06-20-2004, 10:24 PM   #37  

Believe it or not I had a little kiddle. It was in a heart shape bubble and smelled like a rose. Never bothered much with it. Like I said, I wasn't into the girly stuff, but my mom was always trying.

I had a great collection of those little troll dolls with the different color hair.
different sizes and for different occasions. Birthday troll, graduation troll, pencil toppers etc....

Also liked the GI Joe with the celophane parachute that you thru up in the air.
Oh my God, I was such a tomboy.

And there was this stuff called Turkish Taffy. Vanilla, strawberry, banana & chocolate. You could crack it or let it get soft. Came the size of a hershey bar. Always got them for the movies because it lasted a long time.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:55 AM   #38  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 236/236/166

Emit Otter! I haven't heard him mentioned in YEARS!

I also loved Lite Brite and I had the Barbie Party Bake Oven that was just like the Easy bake oven...

I wasn't much of a tomboy, but I had a My Buddy Doll...The boy not the girl...remember them? They were bigger than CBK and the commercial went "My buddy...my buddy... My buddy and me!"... The most tomboyish thing I had was my Tonka Truck which they still make, but does anyone remember the real Tonka Trucks? My was a dump truck that I played with in the sand box and it was made of metal, not plastic like the ones they sell now, and it was bigger too...
Old 06-22-2004, 06:46 AM   #39  

Holly Hobby dolls yes I remember them. Ponchos -don't remind me! Mum knitted me a multicolour one in the roughest nylony wool you coud hopoe to find. I reckon garden twine was softer than that! Cruelty to kids! We also had Sindy and Tressie Dolls in UK which were smallet titted version of Barbie. Tresie had a key you put in her back and her hair became longer or shorter. I don't remember what she wore but my Sindy had a psychadelic jumpsuit on. Trolls I loved! My brother and I used to save up 8 shillings and sixpence to get one. For some reason our local draper shop sold them. I remember Tonka toys - they were supposed to be indestructable. Hello? whoever designed them did not know my little brother!! I am not sure we had strawberry shortcake but we did have polly pocket - a doll in a plastic case we put around our necks and it was scented with floral smells like lilly of the valley. I think I also had an action girl with moveable limbs etc. My favourite was a cheapo version of Barbie (cheap in every sense of the world) White (Platinum?) hair and loads of eyeliner. She had a whole wardrobe of clothes whcih got pinched when I got to school. Bummer. I also had a Lady Penelope doll and a tin tin doll.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:39 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh my gosh guys...I needed to invite you all over when we had our New Years bash! (We have one every year-each year with a different "theme.") This past year it was themed "1980's." I searched Ebay and found Mr. T vintage party invites...and everyone was calling me laughing their rears off when they got them in the mail. Everyone had to come in 80's attire...my husband wore "hair band" ripped and bleached jeans, Atari terry wristbands, Chuck Taylor's and a Nintendo "Duck Hunt" t-shirt. What a goof! I did the ole Madonna look with the black lace hose, wild hair, even had the jean jacket with all the old "buttons" of music bands and Valley girl sayings on it. We hooked up the old Atari system and had a tournament-the prizes were a Dukes Of Hazzard cd soundtrack, a Ghostbusters dvd, and a hand held Atari type game system. I made friendship bracelets for weeks and put them on guests as they entered! man we all were bombed... Still trying to come up with a theme for this years bash...

I spent MONTHS gathering CPK's, Garbage Pail Kids, My Little Ponies, M.U.S.C.L.E. men, and all sorts of 80's toys. I compliled only 80's music...80's movies...and used old vintage 80's party supplies-I found Smurfs, Ghostbusters, and Mr. T! It was great. Best party EVER.

Some of my fave old school stuff not mentioned:

Charmkins

Old cereals-Mr. T, Nerds, Strawberry Shortcake, C-3PO's, Donkey Kong, Body Buddies...

When there was only 1 flavor of Gatorade and Doritos (lemon lime and nacho cheese)

My Buddy Doll-my little cousin hated this "sissy" doll...used to make him cry every time I saw him...by telling him that was what my grandparents were getting him for his birthday/Christmas. Terrible, but a funny memory for me...

Dukes of Hazzard-we just got the first season dvd that just came out-it is just as cheesy as ever!

Hey peacock-my first "bedroom" was in Holly Hobby! I remember it well-white canopy bed and dresser....with the yellow "quilt floral pattern" type fabric and her all over it!

Aphil
Old 06-23-2004, 04:06 PM   #41  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

I got my daughter a Holly Hobby bedset . but i miss my old Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. Pippi Longstocking books, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.
Or remember this : When Halloween was actually celebrated on Halloween not the week before? ( maybe that is just a small town thing but it drives me nuts every year!)
Old 06-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #42  

Oh my gosh...speaking of books, they have the old fashioned "Dick and Jane" books rereleased...HILARIOUS. A MUST buy.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:07 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I SAW THOSE BOOKS!!! I loved those books. I showed them to DD and she laughed at them, said they were lame. How about Encyclopedia Brown? I loved those books too. I also would not go ANYWHERE without my two fav buttons - Stray Cats and one that said Rude Boy.

I thought I was so cool!

Tiki
Old 06-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #44  

Stray Cats, huh? You WERE cool. I STILL love the Stray Cats...
Old 06-24-2004, 06:55 PM   #45  
Pending Email Confirmation

I didn't think anyone else knew of Encyclopedia Brown! I still have some of them (hope nobody from the clean sweep thread is looking *LOL*) My grandma used to read them with me when I was a little kid. Can't bear to give them up.
And Baby sitter's Club, I swear I had more than 100 of those books. I loved them, every time I had money I would buy the newest one and read it in like a day and then wait for the next one. Then there were the Super Specials where they would go on vacation or something. I was addicted. I don't know how that woman crapped the out so fast!

does anyone remember a candy bar called a peanut buddy? I used to love those, can't find them anymore. Also, there were these disgusting things called Squeeze Pops, basically it was sugar in a tube, crack for kids. I was so addicted I ate like one every day. No wonder I'm fat now. *LOL*
Closed Thread