3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Eclipse of the Moon Tonight (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/34238-eclipse-moon-tonight.html)

Ruthxxx 11-08-2003 03:37 PM

Eclipse of the Moon Tonight

From NightSky Website:
The eclipse will actually begin when the Moon enters the faint outer portion, or penumbra, of the Earth's shadow more than an hour before it begins moving into the dark inner shadow, called the umbra. The penumbra, however, is all but invisible to the eye until the Moon becomes deeply immersed in it. Sharp-eyed viewers may get their first glimpse of the penumbra as a faint "smudge" on the left part of the Moon's disk at or around 23:09 GMT, which corresponds to 6:09 p.m. EST or 5:09 p.m. CST.

The most noticeable part of this eclipse will come when the Moon begins to enter the Earth’s umbra. A small scallop of darkness will begin to appear on the Moon's left edge at 23:32 GMT, or 6:32 p.m. EST, 5:32 p.m. CST.

The Moon is expected to take 3 hours and 33 minutes to completely pass through the umbra.

While much of the eastern and central portions of the U.S. and Canada will be able to see the Moon enter the umbra, those living to the west of a line running from roughly Corpus Christi, Texas to Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada will see the Moon rise already in eclipse. So for observers across the western-third of the United States and Canada, a peculiar crescent or notched Moon will appear to rise opposite to the setting Sun.

Eclipse timing

Along the immediate Pacific coast of central California, the Moon rises just a scant several minutes before the onset of the total eclipse. Yet, because of low altitude and bright evening twilight, local observers may not see much of the Moon at all until it begins to emerge from out of the Earth’s shadow.

So bundle up and see this. I'll be out behind the barn with hot toddies at about 6:15 my time.

ellis 11-08-2003 04:09 PM

I'll be right over...

Merrylegs 11-08-2003 05:24 PM

Been waiting for this all week...we're having mixed sun & clouds. Hoping like heck it clears.

Jennifer 3FC 11-08-2003 06:09 PM

Hot toddies sound good! I have a yummy recipe for a Buttery Nipple, but it isn't allowed on South Beach. Wahhh!

soozie 11-08-2003 11:39 PM

Thanks for the info Ruth.

We got a telephone call from a friend who said, get outside and check out the eclipse, it's happening right now...we went out onto our front porch and looked up and there it was, right there, didn't even have to search the sky...how nice,
DP, DD, and I all got a good look at it. Hard to explain to DD...we'll have lots of online research to do tomorrow, though I did explain the difference between a meteor and a comet!

There were some clouds here and there but, overall it was clear and there were so many stars in the sky as well as the beautiful lunar eclipse...wow!!!

Soozie

Suzanne 3FC 11-08-2003 11:57 PM

It was beautiful :) I saw the pic on CNN.com of one a few years ago, and it was so red! This one wasn't anything like it, but it was still nice to see. I wish I still had my telescope.

Goddess Jessica 11-09-2003 01:37 AM

I missed it... I was in the landlord arguement. :(

ellis 11-09-2003 06:46 AM

That was cool!

Jen, what the **** is a "Buttery Nipple"?

soozie 11-09-2003 10:43 AM

Ellis...you had to go there...
even I wasn't going to touch that one...
um...pardon the pun.

Sleazy Soozie

Ruthxxx 11-09-2003 11:23 AM

Sheesh! Maybe I'd better just close this thread!

mauvaisroux 11-09-2003 11:36 AM

Eeep! :rolleyes: