3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Alternachick chat October 12+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/33111-alternachick-chat-october-12-a.html)

soozie 10-26-2003 05:13 PM

Thanks Girls!
you cheered me right up and Ellis....is that you channeling my long lost Mother again...I'd swear that was her...now, if you don't wear a good brassiere your breasts....blah,blah,blah...

seriously, they want me to wear sport bra type things for now, no underwires, as few seams and as little hardware as possible. I bought two new "unbras" that arrived in the mail yesterday. They are wonderful...hold on, I want to see if they have a website that I can send you to...I'll be right back...

soozie 10-26-2003 05:17 PM

alright...
you can go to http://www.decentexposures.com
Decent Exposures is the name of the company that makes the unbra.
I had seen their ad in Yoga Journal years ago and bought some of their bras when I was pregnant and nursing my daughter...they are really comfortable.

Soozie

ellis 10-26-2003 05:33 PM

Oh, what a sweet photo, Soozie. I had a couple of those when I was nursing, too! Hmmm... think I've still got them... must get rid of those big things.

mauvaisroux 10-26-2003 09:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your complications-hope your girls get better soon soozie-:grouphug:

squeaker 10-26-2003 09:33 PM

Hope you feel better Soozie!

And you too Ellis. ;)

Hope work gets better Jen.

Ruth - hope you went to the party! :lol:

I am doing pretty good. Played dominoes on line with the boy. Carved my pumpkins. Did some laundry. Nice quiet day :)

My pumpkins (there are 2)

ellis 10-27-2003 06:37 AM

Squeak, those are too cool! :smoking:
Do you get kids at your door on Halloween?

By the way, in my previous post, I meant I have big bras, NOT breasts! heh heh.

dentrassi 10-27-2003 07:56 AM

Squeak-COOL PUMPKINS!!!!!!

Ellis-BIG MELONS?????

squeaker 10-27-2003 08:30 PM

Thanks Ellis & Den! :)

Not too many kids at the door, so this year I am going out with my nephew. :D

dentrassi 10-27-2003 09:55 PM

We got LOTS of kids at the old house, but here we hardly get ANY!! BUMMER...

Goddess Jessica 10-28-2003 12:02 AM

Hi *cough cough* from Smokey San Diego

Well, we're offically a disater area.

Of course, it couldn't have happened on a worse day. I was taking 41 8th graders on a "ropes" retreat (you
know, those teambuilding retreats where we spend most of the day in the air, in harnesses). I got up *** early in the morning and walked outside and thought "man, the sky is weird." Then, I got to my car which was covered in ash and realized, "holy crap, this is
ash!"

I drove up to work and it was black and very hard to breathe. I called the park we were going to and they said they had not been effected. Okay, then, we're still on. Then, about 5 parents called and threatened me if we went on the retreat. PITAs trying to ruin
my day. I told them we were still going.

When we got up to the retreat site, it was beautiful. No smoke, no soot, no bad air. Freaking beautiful.

But then the parents started. They called every two minutes (literally, I'd be on the phone with one and
another would call). I could not get off the phone. My boss who was in SF called (like she could do
anything), her Boss (Like she could do anything). Finally, they closed 3 highways around noon and I
realized if these parents couldn't pick their kids up, I was going to have to cook dinner for 41 kids. I called the Bus Company to tell them to get here. It
took them 2 and half hours for them to get to the site.

The trip back to San Diego was scary. Lots of smoke, lots of dead stopped traffic. We got the kids safely back to their parents, with a couple bursting into tears when their parents told them they had been evacuated out of their homes.

Alex called me every hour or so with updates. He was suppose to come up and help me film the kids around
1PM but I told him to just stay home with the dogs indoors. The dogs hate the soot. They have been sneezing and tryign to lick themselves clean. The ash and soot are falling like black snow. My backyard and patio are covered.

Since I live downtown, I'm not in real danger (except I'm in the direct path of the soot). The fires have been going on for a few days but it wasn't until
yesterday, when the Santa Anas started, that they picked up speeds of 25mph. It was scary how fast they
moved with Santa Anas behind them.

soozie 10-28-2003 01:17 AM

Wow, Jessica, what an ordeal...hope you're doing okay. and the doggies too of course. how awful. I watched the news tonight and saw the fires...very scary.
well, take care, gotta go get some rest.
love, Soozie

mauvaisroux 10-28-2003 07:24 AM

That's awful Jessica! :yikes: Hope you, Alex and your dogs will be okay :grouphug:

ellis 10-28-2003 07:45 AM

Oh, Jessica. :( What a story. Stay safe, hon. :grouphug:

Ruthxxx 10-28-2003 07:56 AM

Jessica, I am thinking about you a lot and about other southern CA friends. Stay safe. What a horrorshow!

squeaker 10-28-2003 09:15 AM

Stay safe Jessica & Alex. (and puppies). This is just nuts. :(

sflake 10-28-2003 09:45 AM

Jessica ditto stay safe. Boy when California gets hit it gets HIT!

Sending :goodvibes: for everyone in CA. How awful.

VOW 10-28-2003 02:12 PM

I'm in San Bernardino, and the fires are making the world look like it's ending. Everything is orange, and there are ashes and soot all over. People are coughing and eyes are burning. Those with asthma are in agony.

A lot of desks are empty today.

My sister called last night around 7 PM, saying she was being evacuated. My son tried to go by her house after he got off work, and he said the streets were barricaded, and all he could see were flames. He was positive her house was gone. I was late to work this morning, because I couldn't tear myself away from the TV news.

I talked to my dad just a little while ago, and found out my sister did NOT evacuate, and her home is okay. Thank God. So MANY people were not as fortunate.

Right now, we're waiting to hear if the fire has jumped the highway and has unimpeded access to the Lake Arrowhead region of the San Bernardino National Forest. If the fire reaches the lake area, all is lost. The trees there have been decimated by drought and bark beetle infestation, and thousands of them are standing, dead.

The Santa Ana winds are supposed to abate today. At times, they have gusted up to 60 MPH, and there is just no way to stay ahead of the flames driven by winds that strong. We've got firefighters from all over the State here, who have been battling these fires nonstop since last week. I understand that reinforcements are now arriving from out of State.

Even though my home has never been in a threatened area, I know of people who have been evacuated from neighborhoods you'd never DREAM of worrying about. And some of those people now have piles of rubble where once their entire lives were residing. In the midst of it all, I just wanted my family right NEXT to me, so I could see them, hear them, touch them, and know they were safe. I can surely understand how the parents of Jessica's students would have been hysterical, wanting to know the whereabouts and safety of their children. I've been a virtual zombie all morning, worrying about my sister and her family!

The acreage of land which has been destroyed by fire is about the equivalent of the State of Rhode Island. The mind simply cannot comprehend devastation on that huge of a scale.

~VOW

ellis 10-28-2003 02:19 PM

VOW, reading your post sent chills up my spine. Hugs and prayers for you and your sister and her family. And for EVERYONE down there. :grouphug:

Goddess Jessica 10-28-2003 03:11 PM

I'm glad your family is safe!

mauvaisroux 10-28-2003 04:09 PM

Vow- glad to hear your family is okay :grouphug: it must be terrifying for everyone living in that area!

I am sending prayers for rain to that area!

dentrassi 10-28-2003 04:18 PM

Jessica and VOW- Sorry to hear that you two and all your family and friends are so close to the fires. It is so scary just WATCHING it on tv, and you two must be frantic worrying about everyone. Lots of hugs and good vibes coming your way from Mich. HOPE IT RAINS!!!!!

Jennifer 3FC 10-28-2003 11:02 PM

Oooh, how sad! I hope you all stay safe and sound.

Merrylegs 10-28-2003 11:03 PM

VOW, hope all is well with you. We went through the same **** this summer in British Columbia, and although I wasn't personally affected, many friends were. Safety vibes being sent your way.

GingerOfTheNorth 10-29-2003 09:58 AM

We had the same issues in the NWT a few years back, before I left Yellowknife. As an Insurance broker at the time, I heard more than a few stories of total loss and destruction.

Come to think of it, half the NWT burns every year, but it's not normally so close to home.