Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 PM   #106  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Oh, yeah, I had cow tongue sandwiches while visiting relatives in Scotland. It was actually pretty good - they process it into thinly sliced sandwich meat and it looked and tasted like corned beef.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:46 PM   #107  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Tongue is pretty good!! I think I would like it better in sandwiches. I was a kid when I had it, and I kept on thinking, "A cow tongue is touching my tongue." The whole tongue was sitting on a plate on the table which was kinda strange!! I like venison, but escargot is a bit too chewy for me. I like the garlic butter it is cooked in with bread though!!! Haven't tried the other things you mentioned (whale blubber etc.)
Old 09-10-2003, 12:23 AM   #108  
Canadian, eh?

You've gotta watch out for snails, Den...they'll slither their way back up your throat (or so my big brother told me when we were kids) .
Old 09-10-2003, 06:46 AM   #109  

Height: 5'-2"

Beef tongue is pretty good. I'm not keen on the heart, though. It's too chewy.
I LOVE chicken livers.
And pork kidney. On toast.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #110  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How do you cook kidneys? You boil the piss out of them!

I refuse to eat the damned things and am hoping DH will forget about them forever. I do like pork tongues which I simmer in vinegar, water and pickling spice. They are smaller (of course!) than beef tongue and not as fatty. Yummy in a sandwich with some mustard and mayo. Drool!

Just checking in so you'll know I'm above water. I'm treading madly but plan to start swimming soon - dog paddle at first but will work up to the Australian crawl!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #111  

Don't be rude.
You rinse them, slice them, and saute them in butter.

There is NO drowning, okay? There are friends available to throw you a life-line, and you take it when it's offered. Got it?

The frog legs were a huge hit with the children. Sorry, Lidian.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:50 AM   #112  
Imagine...

and I though my venture into fish was exciting
Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 AM   #113  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey gang!
It is me Virginia! Just dropping in to say hello! Hope everyone is doing well. I am doing great mentally right now. Alcohol, drug and cigarette free! Feels great! High on life right now!
Need to get my booty movin though! Think I will go for a walk shortly, and get back into the swing of things.
I am going to use only my bathroom scales from now on. They weigh heavier than TOPS, but I am not going anymore and do not think it would be fair to keep weighing myself on their scales. When I go to the doctor from time to time I will hopefully be pleasantly surprised. My weight right now today on my bathroom scales is 228 lbs
Waist 45"
Hips 53"
Breast (under - bottom) 39"
(over nipples and across fullness) 45 1/2"
Thighs 25 1/2"
There it is written! I really need to do something about it before I can't wear my clothes again.
Gotta stop buying junk again too. Gotta get the good stuff!
Luv y'all
Virginia
Old 09-10-2003, 11:51 AM   #114  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Virginia-Glad to hear you are doing so well!! Try to drop in more frequently, Okay? We miss you!!!

Ellis-Who cooked them? You or DH? I bet kids would love 'em just because they are so small and cute. You'd get along with my Dad. he LOVES kidneys and chicken livers. I usually DON'T, but my Dad made some greek style chicken livers once and THOSE were great!!! (DO love pate however!!! my parents made some for our reception and they were GREAT!!!!!) You know, it might be kinda fun to have a "mini foods" dinner.....frog legs with brussels sprouts (HORRORS!!!) and assorted baby vegetables. We once had a "stick picnic" with the kids. Salami sticks, string cheese, carrot sticks and pickle wedges and breadsticks. Even found some stick shaped cookies (I think it was those chocolate Cadbury stick things) The kids LOVED it (They were a lot younger then of course!! They STILL talk about it though!!!) (Drank Lemonade with straws if i remember correctly.)

Ruth-My Dad likes lamb kidney. I just don't like that kinda stuff!!! Of course NOW I can just say I refuse to eat brain because of mad Cow fears....Even though the truth is that the THOUGHT of it makes me wanna........
Hey, hope things get a bit easier for you today thn they were yesterday. And CONTINUE to get easier each day. (Overnight miracle would be acceptable too of course!!)

Merrylegs-See? THAT'S what I mean!!! You can wait til they make it back up and chew them and swallow them again, but when i eat something I don't want to have to eat it AGAIN!!!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:16 PM   #115  

Hey, Virginia! So glad to hear you're doing well! Congrats on the drugs/alcohol/smoke free new you!!

Den, DH cooked them. I couldn't stand to look at them. I only ate two. (two pair)
I LOVE the stick picnic idea! That is so cool!
I make a wicked pate...

Tonight we're having cabbage rolls. (full grown cabbages) Mom and I popped into Saslove's after working out. It's a Jewish meat place. They have an incredible selection of stuff, include a lot of "made-up" dishes. Like curried lamb, cabbage rolls, meat pies, etc. Their meat is all "natural". If you know what I mean. No streroids, etc. Happy animals. Reasonably happy.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:21 PM   #116  
Spreadin' the luv.

Angry Talk of meat making me wistful...

My favorite meat was either beef heart, boiled to death with salt and pepper, or chicken gizzards prepared the same.

I do miss good meat sometimes, but I was too troubled by it and the psychological relief is better than the pleasure of eating it. **I am not trying to convert my beloved omnivore friends!**

Wish I could convince myself that the relief of being 90 pounds lighter (my knees heard that and are saying, "Yes! PLEASE! Can we do that, CAN we?!?") is greater than the pleasure of eating - a lot of everything.

Why was giving up meat so much easier? Poo.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:26 PM   #117  
Spreadin' the luv.

Talking Hope on the horizon...

Well, I guess I should leave on a happier not than THAT and announce that this is my first day of calorie-counting/food journalling.

Perhaps the joy of having boundaries and control will exceed my (fortunately infrequent) urges for Mac & Cheese. Talk about a calorie wallop.

Have a good day, dears.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #118  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Cerise-
Lean Cuisine is my favorite substitute for Mac & cheese (and I've tried them all). The flavor is decent, the texture isn't nausiating and it's fills that comfort food gap. Plus, it's around 300 calories for the box.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #119  
Spreadin' the luv.

You may have saved my life, GJ.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #120  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Just another fly by as I try and clean my house...

Hi Virginia! Glad you are checking in.

You too Ruth! How are things going?

Den - I like the stick picnic. When we were kids, the only way we would eat polish sausage was cut up in the little slices like they hand out in the grocery store.

Hello Ellis, Mauvais, Jessica, Lidian, Cerise, Sflake, Twodog, Karen and any other chicks I may have missed!!!

Hopefully life will become a little more quiet and I will get to pop in here more often!!

Closed Thread