3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Alternachick chat September 1+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/31312-alternachick-chat-september-1-a.html)

Lidian 09-08-2003 01:26 PM

I had wild boar years ago in Belgium and it was really really good! And I grew up loving Cape Cod lobster rolls (in the toasted hot dog bun, with ends cut off). And fried clams. Yum!

My goodness, the food was good in Belgium! They have this dessert called dame blanche, just vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce but the Platonic ideal of both and it is...oh man, I want some right now! And french fries with really good mayonnaise!

Lidian

Cerise 09-08-2003 02:03 PM

Yes, the greasy paper cones...I'll never be the same since I had french fries in Brussells.

ellis 09-08-2003 02:22 PM

No, Cerise... I'm not in the least upset. :lol: I used to be a vegetarian myself. And I verge on being one again OFTEN! My DH and children used to make animal noises when we were eating, which would make me blench, and push aside my meat. I don't even want anyone to say, "we're eating chicken" while I'm eating chicken. It makes me ILL!! Basically, if it's disguised, I'm okay. But put a slab of something obvious on my plate... :nono:

Well, I've lost my nerve. (nothing anyone's said, I assure you) The frog's legs are still defrosting in the fridge, and DH has tomorrow off, so HE can cook the darned things! :D

(Den, we'll get some of those lamb sausages when you come down. You'll never know what you're eating, but ohhhhhh... the flavour!)

mauvaisroux 09-08-2003 03:08 PM

Dare I mention one of Scotland's great dishes....HAGGIS! :yikes:
Which I actually really enjoy, really it is one of my favorites! :T

sflake 09-08-2003 03:40 PM

Good one Den hehehe (broccoli cut down in their prime) hehehe.

Wildfire 09-08-2003 07:10 PM

Gawd, I look at my adorable little lizard (okay, he's 19", but it's mostly tail) with his muscled little legs....and even if he wasn't a pet, there's just not enough meat there to make it worthwhile!!! :lol:

As the saying goes, "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat only vegetables." :D

I like meat. Chicken, turkey, fish, pork, beef....don't do lamb or veal, though. I just don't make the association that the food on my plate once roamed a field or stream. :shrug: I don't have anything against anyone who chooses to be vegetarian or vegan...it's an individual choice. And thanks to those people, tomorrow at work I can snag one of the delicious roasted vegetable sandwiches from the luncheon instead of eating deli meat!

My poor DH....our first year together we went back home to the east coast and of course there was a lobster boil. He was watching these huge lobsters moving around the kitchen sink and asked, "do you really just drop them in the pot, still alive?" "Yes" I replied, "and don't let it scare you when they start screaming....it only lasts a minute." :lol: He was HORRIFIED! :yikes: Then of course, we all started laughing and he knew we were kidding.

Den...:lol: That just why I won't eat brussel sprouts....

dentrassi 09-08-2003 07:50 PM

Brussel Sprouts....the veal of cabbages.....SOB!!!

squeaker 09-08-2003 08:29 PM

Just a quick fly by -

I too am a meat eater, but stick to chicken, turkey, beef & pork. I had duck once also, which was good but greasy. But to each her own. :)
When I was little I used to want a lobster for a pet. I was an odd child. ;)

I can't for the life of me remeber if I said hello so Welcome Cerise!

Den - It doesn't sound backwards. There is something about fall that seems to inspire. The Alcatraz place sounds cool. I am so sad over Zevon. He was truly a unique individual.

Ellis - I like your crystal ball. :) I have been just a little nutty lately.

Hello Lois, Wildfire, Sflake, Mauvais, Lidian!!!! :wave:

mauvaisroux 09-08-2003 09:05 PM

Oh, er, I've had, escargot, venison, wild boar, bison, buffalo, caribou and seal meat (these last two were raw and frozen while you ate them) and whale blubber (also raw) and umm... it all tasted pretty good.

Jennifer 3FC 09-09-2003 12:39 AM

You ate whale blubber? Wow, you beat me out for most interesting food!

I've had bear - I think it was a black bear. It was greasy...and I had a bite of alligator ribs. Not too bad...I can't bare the thoughts of frog legs - Ellis, I came here just to see how that went! I will painfully wait until tomorrow. I saw them once in a grocery store, snipped off at the groin, and wrapped in plastic wrap. Pooooooor little froggies! They looked so fragile!

I just can't eat the cute animals. Accidentally ate rabbit once. That was in Germany. I thought I was eating beef stew. We were in the restaurant eating away, and watching a field LOADED with rabbits, and we were really enjoying watching them hop all over the place, and a friend of ours walks by and says "oh, you got the rabbit stew, let me know how it is'. About that time, Dad picked up a teeny little rack of ribs on his fork. Wahhhhhhh! It was awful! :cry:

My husband ate goat balls once. Yuck. He said they were spongy. Blllllllluuuuuuuuuuccggghhhhhhh! Shudder!!!!!!!!

Ruthxxx 09-09-2003 07:47 AM

Once, in amountain village in Calabria, I ate cow's uterus. It was like tripe. Of course, I'd drunk a lot of wine, jokes and laughed in Italian and danced one of their wild dances.

Aside from my two cents above, I want to say how much I appreciated all the hugs and other good stuff yesterday. it certainly makes a crappy day more bearable to know there are folks out here rooting for me.

Today I am striving for a "normal" day around here. The doc says routine will help Harry's brain get straightened out. So I'll be walking, cooking, gardening and nagging a bit! Normal stuff! :lol:

Have a great Tuesday.

dentrassi 09-09-2003 11:40 AM

Ruth-YUP! A few slow paced days won't hurt YOU either after all the crap and worry of the last few days.....

Jennifer-GOAT BALLS!?!?!?! YUCK!!! I don't have a problem eating rabbit. During college I worked in a German restaurant, so I got pretty used to it (line cook)

Mauvais-I am ashamed to say this (since I am mostly Scottish!!) but of all the things you have tried the haggis sounds the worst. I just don't like organ meats!!!!

Squeak-I'm bummed too. Glad he managed to finish that last CD. 56 is just too young.

Ellis-DON'T TELL ME YOU ARE STILL ASLEEP?!?!?!?! (I KNOW you aren't, just thought I'd tease you a bit!!!)

Lidian 09-09-2003 12:33 PM

Ruth, normal slow days sound like just the ticket. I'm sending a big hug your way!

My goodness, haven't you all had some interesting things to eat! I have never had haggis but someday I might try it - I have heard it is quite good, and I am part Scottish (& my mom was crazy about all things Scottish so somehow it has a good vibe for me! go figure!)

When I was a kid my dad thought I ought to have liver regularly but I didn't really like THAT & my poor mother hated cooking it (I don't blame her, I even have a problem cooking meat I DO eat).

Squeak, when I was a kid I loved lobsters and wanted a TOY one, never got it - my youngest DD has a whole family of them, all sizes (also crabs, squids, octopi, a manta ray, various dolphins, whales etc too) (all soft toys!).

Lidian

Cerise 09-09-2003 12:50 PM

I miss sushi. And KFC. And roasted goat.

twodogmom 09-09-2003 09:56 PM

Oh my, I'm a culinary virgin compared to some of you ladies!! :lol: And I thought I was being adventurous the time I ate octopus. I'm pretty mundane in my eating habits....primarily for lack of courage to try some of these things....ok....most of these things!!