Alternachick Chat, Week of July 21st

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Welcome Back Mauvais!!!!!!

Ellis - we deleted all the swear words right?
  • Welcome back Mauvais!

Oh my prophetic soul, such a lot of cleaning for such a little visit (and there's cat hair all over everything again by now, of course). Visit was nice, they are my favourite aunt & cousins, but quite short and dear DH drove them from airport to our house and to their hotel (they are off to see more family north of here). Now I am worrying about whether to invite a friend of mine and her 2 kids for a playdate...they have never been here and our 6 yr old are friends, but then she has a 2 yr old & I have a 9 yr old. Maybe we can meet in the park and then come back here for a snack...why do I stress so about these things? My mom was very shy and we did not have people over, so I don't have a blueprint for it. It always seems very tough to me. I did say I would call her though and blah blah blah!

A worrier is what I am, all right!

I may not get on here a lot as I am ferrying everyone to swimming lessons now every day for 2 weeks and that is in the morning. And then we try and find things to do in the afternoon, ha ha!

I love them a lot, but I am going to be dancing in the street when they go back to school, oh yeah!

Lidian
  • welcome back, mauvais! got a sprained wrist... hurts to type... back tomorrow.
  • Ellis, hon what happened??? I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • Hi girlies,
    I'm just popping in for a short hello...I'm tired and I have a long long day tomorrow. Seeing alot of clients because I was out last week...working from 11am to 10pm tomorrow. So, might not get in any exercise time. Bummer. Did do some nice yoga today. Might do some abs and stretching before bed tonight.
    we'll see if I hold up that long.

I'm doing okay with my food but routine is kind of disrupted from vacation. Have to go to Trader Joe's and stock up on my happy foods. You know, the yummy and healthy kind.

My DP is sick with a very bad cold...hope she feels better soon. DD has a touch of it as well. Hope it bypasses me because no way can I miss work after a week out of the office. Can't do it financially and can't do it to my clients. Hard to compress my schedule as it is. So, hope DD and DP have kept their little germies to themselves and meanwhile I'll just give them lots of vitamin C and chicken soup and pray that they recover quickly.

Well, gotta go...can't risk challenging my immune system by not getting enough sleep.
    Love, Soozie
  • Squeak, I'd swear, but the Mod's back.
    Just had a hot bath... feeling marginally better, thank you.
    I couldn't figure out what I'd done to it, but I just remembered... my sister and I installed a stair hand rail for Mom and Dad this morning. I used my arthritic hands to tighten screws... trying to be macho instead of letting my little sis do it. I guess my wrist/arm/fingers ceased up. MUST remember NOT to be macho.

Soozie, I hope your girls get better soon...

Lidian, you just don't strike me as being shy. Just fake it... pretend you're a different person. Act. You can retreat into your shell later. That's what I do. Some people think I'm incredibly sociable. Until they get to know me better, and discover that I'm a *****y loner.
    Good luck mixing the two year old with your nine year old.
  • Soozie - I hope DD & DP get better soon and don't get you sick!!!

Ellis - no more being macho. And I also love your description: Some people think I'm incredibly sociable. Until they get to know me better, and discover that I'm a *****y loner. - that is perfect! can I borrow it?

Lidian - good luck with the playdate.

Ok so apperently I have off the good karma gods or something, with my day today, so if I have ever done anything to even remotely offend anyone - I am sorry. Please tell me and I will apologize appropriatly. I am trying to restore my good karma balance.

• A quick hi! Between MODing the LC forum and posting there and on SBD, I never seem to get in here to post ! There's lots of catching up to do.
    Life is slowly getting back to alleged normal but I have less than two weeks before I go West! Guess it's time to make more damned lists!
    Ellis, don't fool around with that wrist. It might cramp your style if we ever go for Dim Sum.
    Dogs are waiting for their walk. it will be gorgeous down by the Lake this morning. I may be tempted to strip and join them for a swim.
  • Squeak, what have you been doing?!
    Yes, feel free to use my description... if the shoe fits, hon...

Ruth, we're GOING for Dim Sum. There's NO doubt about that! The question is: when?! Have to be when you get back, I think.

Where am I? Ah... chat of July 21st. And it's now the 29th. I see...
  • Hello Ruth! Have fun "out West". All I can imagine is you on a horse with a cowboy hat.

Ellis - I definatly fit the description! We have been too lazy to start a new thread. Besides we keep posting in the one for the week before too. :P

Well I am not sure what I did originally to warrent the bad karma, but yesterday was awful. I spent most of my day "firefighting" problems at work which I shouldn't have been dealing with, and not getting done what I was suppose to be doing. The problems required getting help from someone is not interested in helping unless it is benefical to her, so it was a painful process. Had no time for breakfast, little time for lunch. Got a little bit done, but was assigned a number of other projects on top of what I have. That makes me even more edgy then I have been. One of the few people in the other office I like, I found out is leaving. Got stuck behind a driver on my way home that couldn't figure out which lane he wanted to be in, which always annoys and scares me. Got home, and was relaxing in my living room when I heard a crash in the bedroom. Someone threw a rock though my bedroom window. Went through the screen, window and shade. Called my landlord for help. The window was removed, and I cleaned up the glass. This of course freaked me out. Then I ended up with another work problem last night (I'm on call), which caused me to have to wake up half my department because I didn't know how to fix it. It took someone all night to fix.

Today is shaping up to about the same.
  • MAUVAIS-WELCOME BACK!!!!!! Hope you had fun! Everything was fine while you were gone, no swearing, no problems, no reprimands from higher up....

Squeak-YUCK!! Sorry things have been so rough for you. I think you have been suffering through somebody ELSE'S bad karma, because you sure don't deserve all of that.

Ellis-YUP! It is hard to eat with chop sticks when your hands are asleep!!! (Or ceased up!!)

Ruth-HI!!!!

Soozie-Hope your sweetie-pies get better SOON, and that YOU don't get it!!!!!

Lidian-Ellis is right. I tend to worry too, but if you fake it nobody knows!!!

I am back on track with phase 1, and trying to work more. Have an order to get out, which explains why I have been on the computer for the last hour!!!
    DS13 is sick, and i think I have been fighting it off. DS16 is looking at maps and planning on where to move as an adult. First choice is England, but he is now considering Ireland. As a kid I always thought I'd move to England too!!
    I guess it depends on whether he ends up being a rock star or a biologist....(don't ask!!)
  • Thank you Den. It is just bad enough to wonder what is going on. But it also could be MUCH worse.

Hopefully you won't get sick too. DS16 can always be a biologist who moonlights as a rock star.
  • Oh Squeak... what a horrible thing to have happen! The rock! And everything else... I'm so sorry, sweetie...
    Did you check for a love note wrapped around the rock? Was it a valuable chunk of meteorite? Did you get a better window? It's important to find something positive in every experience. Maybe you lost weight... sounds like you weren't eating much...

Hope you have a better day tomorrow, hon.

Den, we have a goodly supply of surgical masks up here. Would you like me to send a box down? DON'T GET SICK! We're losing weight!! (finally)

Where the **** is everyone?
  • Squeak, thank goodness you are OK and no one was hurt. What a horrible day you had, hope today is better for you!

Soozie hope DP is much better by now...

I didn't know Ruth was out west! Where have I been? (Playing games with les girls, overseeing craft projects, taking them swimming, doing laundry, clipping kitty claws, etc)

Thanks for your playdate advice. I usually fake my social cheer anyhow, so no one suspects me to be the cynical introvert I really am! (ex grumpy grad student you know - still grumpy and still at heart an old grad student - loved the life, hated the academia!)

Lidian
  • Oh for cryin' out loud! Ruth is NOT out west!

Lidian, you sound like the perfect mother. In fact, you're sort of making me sick in a guilty kind of way. I'm glad to know that you're actually GRUMPY!