Alternachick Chat, Week of July 14th

You're on Page 4 of 6
Go to
  • I grew up in NYC and once when I was on the Madison avenue bus circa 1975, I saw John and Yoko crossing 86th street. They looked exactly like, well, John and Yoko. I was in college when John was shot, miserable & with major roomie problems...we all listened to Beatles music for about 3 days on the radio. Of course I had been playing Rubber Soul all the time anyway, which along with Revolver is my fave Beatles album.

Mauvais, have a wonderful trip! We are going to miss you for sure though...

Lidian
  • Have fun, Mauvais!!

Lidian, that is too cool.
  • Oh, YUCK!! Yesterday Mom showed me some photos she'd taken a little while ago. I AM SO FAT!!! I look like a big frumpy girl.
    And to top it off, last night I thought I'd try on a pair of my old "fat jeans" to see if I could get into them.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!
    I think the 15 pounds that I've lost has all come off of my upper body. I'd better get my butt in gear and stop fooling myself that I've "arrived" simply because I've lost 15 pounds. I've got 40 to go. And it's ugly. Very ugly.
  • Have you tried standing on your head for a few hours every day? That sometimes shifts the fluff! (smirk)

Ellis, Doctor Bob the Weightloss Guru at the Civic tells me that we lose first from our upper bodies but that things shift around later. That's why people tell me I look sick when I lose some weight - it goes from the face first.

AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS JUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER!
  • Mine NEVER seems to go from my face. I have wedding pics where I have 6 chins (& appear to be chewing on my slightly protruding tongue) though weigh about 127 lbs.

And Ellis, sometimes it is the angle of the photo or just a badly taken photo, I have ones taken the same day where some look OK and some I look like I just finished eating everything in the house, & with a distinct look of the Jukes & the Kallikaks about me.

Lidian
  • And I am not just saying it to make you feel better, EITHER!

Lidian
  • Ruth and Lidian, you are too sweet!

We should each get a notebook and write EVERY nice thing that someone says to us.
  • Ellis-You are a GORGEOUS young woman (notice I didn't say "lady!") and you have to remember that people always view THEMSELVES more negatively than anyone else sees them. You are doing GREAT (no more toffees allowed for a while though!!!!) and you just need to keep on doing it!!! You'll have more energy and you'll be a slimmer form of gorgeous!!!!
  • Thank you, darling Den. simper. I will write that in my notebook.
  • Ellis- don't lose faith! I lose weight on my upper body and have to struggle with the lower boddy.

BTW- whose the dude in your avatar?
  • Thanks, Mauvais.

It's my favourite author... Timothy Findley. Dead, alas.
  • I like the idea of keeping a notebook Ellis. Then you can look at it when you are feeling especailly hard on yourself. And the wonderful women are right. You ARE beautiful hon.
  • Oh you sweet thing, you. Thank you.
    Lidian is the only one of you five that I haven't seen. And I KNOW that you're all beautiful! And Lidian must be beautiful too, because she has a beautiful spirit like the rest of you. (geez, is this getting mushy or WHAT! Ruth is going to swear at me in a moment.)
  • It is a very nice kind of mushy.

(Just swear back at her... )
  • Oh Ellis, what a sweetheart you are...and thank you for being so, I appreciate it especially as I have just had a weekend of DH and wrestling with old problems in our usual Abbott and Costello way. Think we are going to git us some counselling. And for me individually too. If my darling GP ever gets well herself (she is sick a lot, poor thing, but has known me for 7 yrs and is the best doc I ever had, so I am sticking with her)

Love you ALL, as if you didn't know already!

Lidian