Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #61  
Pending Email Confirmation

Well, I think we worked something out. Sorta. We will still have a bunch of people all around us - but we will also have our own room to retreat to. If they will leave us alone long enough to hide. Hopefully there will be time for some walks along the beach and cuddles. With that many people around I can forget about sex though. *LOL*
Oh well. I'm sure it will all work out okay. Well, I'm not really SURE, I'm just saying that, but.... yeah... you know.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:59 PM   #62  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I feel for you lizz. My Cute Boyfriend family runs their own business and they are always USING him to help during major conventions. It's a TON of work but they usually pay for room and food and it's usually in a cool place. Last year, I gave up a week of my vacation to come work for them in San Francisco. When we got there.... they told us we were SHARING a room with some family friend. I freaked out. I was crying and ranting and raving (all behind closed doors). Then, they had the audacity to feed us Subway EVERY day. I lost it the last day and told them neither he or I would ever be helping again. I stayed away from them for a long time (writing this, I'm remembering why). Finally his mom apologized to me and his step-dad still insists I was mad because it was more work than I expected. WHATEVER!!!

Okay, I don't know any Canadian foods but I LOVE Violet Crumble (which I fondly call Violent Crumble) and Double Deckers which I believe are Austrailian.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:33 PM   #63  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Liz-Hope you get some alone time!!!

Jessica-GREAT!! They USE you and then they INSULT you!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 10:37 AM   #64  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Grrrr! My boss is being a big pain today I wish he would hurry up and go play golf!

(sorry just a short vent so I don't freak out in the middle of the office! )
Old 07-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #65  
Searching

Red face Argh!

I have no girlfriends except maybe my SIL Jen and you gals. So last minute I get invited to this baby shower thing. Why did I say I would go? I would like girlfriends. But the truth is like most people I know I am just too busy and caught up with my own life to give a crap. Then why do I spend so much time here and feel like I know ya'll so well to say HEY I AM HERE FOR YOU! The level of commitment? The computer can be turned off. I guess my ***** is I am a shallow ***** and now to prove myself different I am going to go to this stupid "woman" thing.

I hated my own frigging baby shower. It was like, gee I am not close to any of ya'll why even do this. I can take care of myself. You can see the misery on my face in the freaking photos. Its just like something that we feel we must.

I am I totally insane. Am I the only person that feels this way?

also known as Miss Chris
Old 07-11-2003, 10:24 AM   #66  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh Chris... I hear ya, hon! I feel just the same. I'm closer to some of you girls than I am to my "real life friends".
One good thing... it means you're not lonely! I have too many friends. About 4 of them want to see me about once a week, and frankly, I barely have enough time for myself and my family. If I saw them a couple of times a year it would be enough. I just LOVE my own company.
You are not alone, Chris.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:27 AM   #67  
Searching

I just LOVE my own company.

Right on Ellis!
LOL!

Miss Chris
Old 07-11-2003, 12:28 PM   #68  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I feel about baby showers the same way I feel about holiday parties and weddings. A bunch of people obligated to buy gifts and pretend to be happy being uncomfortable.

The last baby shower I went to, they made us eat baby food (I refused) and looks at candy bars melted in diapers. Okay, I don't even like kids, let alone what could be hiding in their diapers. GROSS! All in the name of games? Give me a break.

However, to be a TOTAL hypocrite, I've been thinking of throwing a baby shower/mommie pampering session for a friend of mine (and her 3rd child).
Old 07-11-2003, 12:58 PM   #69  

I hate going to showers too!

You sit around with the bride or mom-to-be's friends and family that you don't know or their co-workers who you don't know eat a bunch of food, look a gifts you would never dream of buying people and play dumb parlor games and yakkin about babies!
(I don't have kids so I have nothing to talk about and they usually have that poor you- you're childless attitude)

The best shower I was at was one I threw for a friend. It was a bridal shower - I decorated the room in white, purple and yellow, had a beautiful vase of daffodils and purple crocus on the gift table and buffet table and served victorian tea type food. There were no dumb games and embarrassing stuff - just 25 women hanging out/eating/talking/ laughing/ viewing gifts- it was actually fun!

I am helping to host a baby shower in the spring and the person who asked me to help throw the shower is looking to do something sophisticated and cool without the parlor games -eep! I've never thrown a baby shower before! Funny thing is most of the chicks at this party will be single or married without children
Old 07-11-2003, 04:38 PM   #70  

Mauvais, what they're really thinking is, "Lucky you, you have no children!"

I gave a tea party shower thing once too, Mauvais. There were just eight of us, and we held it at the table and had a "high tea". Little crustless sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, etc. It was delightful.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:45 PM   #71  

Yeah, I love victorian tea parties!

I especially hate getting invited to bridal showers where you hardly know the person and while there the bride is not very gracious about the gifts and you get the impression that she is a gift piggy and you are only there so that she gets another gift - same with wedding invites from people you barely know
Old 07-11-2003, 07:24 PM   #72  

Hi everyone,
I had to laugh when i read your baby shower ideas. I've been to way too many of them, but fortunately only had to plan one. I had to plan one bridal shower as well, and that was a nightmare. It amazes me the pettiness that is involved. You'd think 5 women who are such close friends with the bride would try to get along, but they didn't . No one liked each other *L*.
I read this thread because I loved the topic...but when does *****ing become whining? I love to *****, but...whining just sounds bad *L*
My current ***** is that my husband just told me that I am having a surprise birthday party being thrown for me. The idea is very sweet, but I am no actress. I can't act surprised any better than I had to act when I had my baby and bridal showers, either *L*
Hope you all have a great weekend *S*
Chrissy
Old 07-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #73  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I hate those stupid games. My baby shower was nice, FOR THE OTHERS!!!!
MIL served champagne and everyone over indulged and I COULDN'T HAVE ANY!!!!! WAAAAAA!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:51 PM   #74  
Searching

There is another thing that has always boggled my mind, no alcohol or even an aspirin while your pregnant, but go into childbirth and they will give you heroin if you ask for it. What is that about?

Miss Chris
Old 07-12-2003, 08:20 AM   #75  

Chrissy, I agree. There is to be NO whinging at Alternachicks!
That's why I hate the thought of posting here... once I get started...
Hon, you're just going to have to stand in front of the mirror for hours and practice looking SURPRISED!

Den, sounds like a typical MIL trick. Taunting the DIL with no alcohol. However, I'm certain that you made up for it after the birth of your sweet son.

I know a few people who have registered at Home Depot for their wedding. Seems very practical.
We were there last night picking up stuff for our rental apartment. We have friends who live in Ukraine, and I said to DH, "Just imagine what Sergey would say if he came in here. It's ridiculous! We are completely caught up in our homes!"
We North Americans really are a little skewed in our thinking. We have our priorities all wrong. Instead of trying to keep up with the neighbours, we should be inviting them over for coffee and vodka in the evenings, and sitting around engrossed in deep conversation.

Instead, DH and I picked up the stuff we needed for renovating the apartment and walked around pointed out all the stuff we're going to buy for our house once the income from the apartment starts coming. The stainless steel stove to match our existing fridge. The stainless steel dishwasher and microwave... The light fixtures... Countertops...

Last edited by ellis; 07-12-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Closed Thread