Monday-the start of a new week and a clean slate after the weekend

Breakfast:
1 cup honey nut cheerios with 1/2 cup 2% milk
1 coffee with cream and sugar

Snack:
1 cup mixed berry non-fat yogurt
1 cup of decaf tea with sweetener

Lunch:
salad of romaine and leaf lettuce,alphala sprouts, tomatoes,with 1 0z cheese and 1.5 oz ham, roasted red pepper low fat dressing
1 peach
1 40gram bag cheddar Crispy minis rice snacks
1 32 oz glass of water
1 cup decaf tea with sweetner

Dinner will be the standard ww night dinner at Subway-move over Jared there a new skinny minny in town!
1-6 inch roast chicken sub on wholewheat with tomato, lettuce, cucumber and mustard.
1 bottle of water.
1 cup of grapes

I will probably stop by Tim Horton's on the way home for a French Vanilla coffee (only 2pts!) but no Boston Cream doughnut this time

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 06-09-2003 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:30 AM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I did great yesterday-made it to Timmy's for coffee and resisted the doughnut!

Today's menu:

Breakfast:

Snack:

Lunch:
cucumber and tomato salad with feta cheese and greek salad dressing
2 oz ham
3 Kalamata olives
1 cup strawberries

Snack:
1 low fat chocolate pudding

Dinner:
filet of sole
side salad of mixed greens

Snack:
fresca
3 cups of airpopped popcorn

Old 06-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #3  

Angry

you'll hold me accountable, won't you, mauvais?

i did great yesterday, i think...

morning:
banana
apple
onion bagel with hummus

afternoon:
1 c whole wheat pasta
2.5 c broccoli
1 c mushrooms
1 can solid white tuna
parm. cheese

that kept me full all night! more protein than i am used to getting, but i guess if it kept me from eating anything else, that's good!

i came in at just under 1200 cal.

today's plan

morning:
orange
banana

2 popcorn cakes
20 baby carrots

afternoon:
i plan to take my son out for pizza and we usually share a small. i was surprised to learn that 1/2 a small isn't that many calories! (about 300)
so 3 small slices cheese pizza

evening:
black bean chili w/ peppers, onions, mushrooms (1/2 c brown rice and 1/2 c black beans)

snack:
banana
1 c calcium OJ (this was to get over 1200 cal (because I think less isn't healthy) and to meet my calcium req for the day)

sound good?
any suggestions?

according to fitday.com, i never manage to reach my RDA for zinc or vitamin D, and often am short on calcium and iron. how can i get more of these? i suppose i should buy some vitamins... but it would be nice to know what foods D, zinc and also K are in, if anyone knows.

--gypsy
Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Here was my diet for Monday:
breakfast:
sugar free yogurt
Pria bar
snack:
1c. calcium/vit D orange juice
apple
lunch
Turkey and Broccoli
protein supplement
dinner:
small amount of lean beef
2 1/4c. vegetables (variety)
baked apple with a dash of cinnamon and Splenda
snack:
sugar free Jello
calorie total-1320
Aphil

gypsy-you are right about under 1200 not being healthy. You should always eat at least 1200 calories a day or risk slowing your metabolism. I usually end up around 1300-1600, depending on how hungry I am.
As far as vitamin D, Minute Maid now has vitamin D in some of their calcium fortified orange juice, and most skim milks and yogurts have vitamin d fortified in them to help you absorb the calcium, so you might check some labels and try to get it in there.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #5  

Hey, your are accountable to yourself-but I have been known to nag and tsk tsk on occasion

Gypsy, your menu looks good so far but you may need to up your calorie count a bit. Extra fruits and veggies as snacks, maybe some carbs with breakfast-whole grain cereals or whole grain toast with some peanut butter for protein or some low fat cream cheese to get some dairy products in.

I agree with Aphil about the dairy products, low-fat-sugar free yougurt, calcium fortified orange juice, skim or low-fat milk, pudding made with skim or low fat milk, even adding a slice of low-fat cheese to a sandwich would help.

I will check into some foods with vitamin D, Zinc and K for you and let you know.

Mauvais
Old 06-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #6  

Thumbs up DAMNED PEOPLE FOOLIN' WITH MY YOGURT!

i used to love the colombo lowfat strawberry yogurt but the *******s stopped making it with artificial sweetener, and so i get .5% less fat in exchange for 130 calories worth of corn syrup!!! jerks. i bought it anyway, 2 containers, and now i am stuck with it because i can't bring myself to ingest 250 calories in any one thing!
i hate the small containers because i feel like i am helping to destroy the planet, but i guess i will have to if i want more dairy.
cheese is my nemesis though so i think i should avoid it. (on a side note, i just read that they have discovered that cheese has small amounts of morphine in it so we can't help but to be addicted to it! )

sometimes i carry a little bag of high-fiber cereal around to munch on.

do you really think that i need to go much higher than 1200-1300 cal? every "structured" diet i've ever been on-- diet center, ww, etc-- puts me at 1200. and i'm not hungry as long as i prepare...

i decided i definitely have to get a multi-vitamin.

thanks for the advice.
and i will be accountable to myself, but telling someone else does help.

btw, mauvais, are you on a high-protein diet? because since i've been tracking my food on fitday.com, i've realized there is protein in absolutely everything and it's hard to keep my protein grams low enough to not exceed the RDA by too much... and i only eat beans, fish, some dairy, in small quantities! if you aren't high-protein, you may not need the extra powder if you are getting turkey, yogurt & beef all in one day.

--gypsy
Old 06-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #7  

gypsy-I really do think that you should up your calories per day...a lot of centers like LA Weight loss and Nutrisystem have their calories really low, because they focus mostly on the calories alone to lose weight, and do not really factor in your activity level. You should be using exercise to lose weight just as mush as diet. I exercise every day, and if I stuck to only 1200 calories a day, I would be starving and too tired to do my workouts. What is your current height and weight, and what weight is your goal? This will help me guide you a bit better as to what calorie intake you should be getting. What is your exercise schedule?
I am not on a low carb-high protein diet, but I try to exceed the RDA in protein a bit, because I strength train, and you need more protein when you are exercising and are gaining muscle and losing body fat.
At a minimum, looking at your diet the past few days I would suggest that you add some sort of protein to your breakfast for the extra calories-you tend to eat fruit and a bread item for breakfast, with no protein source. Replace the hummus with a tablespoon of peanut butter (peanut butter has fat, but it is a good type of fat) and add a serving of yogurt to your breakfast or as a mid-morning snack to up your calories a bit. To make it even better, replace the bagel with a whole grain waffle or whole grain slice of toast-bagels are usually a more refined carbohydrate and digests a lot faster-the whole grain starch will keep you full a little longer, besides-it is very yummy when the peanut butter is smeared on it while it is still warm from the toaster.
You are doing good eating the whole wheat pasta over the regular variety...I do this myself. I usually mix the sauce or whatever over it before I serve it to my husband...if he actually KNEW it was a healthier version of pasta he would say he wouldn't like it, he could taste a difference, blah, blah, blah...if I hide it he doesn't even notice.
Until I know your details above-I wold recommend starting out at least 1300-1400 calories a day rather than 1200.
Aphil
Old 06-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #8  

Gypsy- I am actually doing Weight Watchers but a lower carb version. I eat whole grain cereal and whole wheat flour products such as bread, pastas, couscous etc.

I try to limit my refined sugar intake by eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and avoid processed foods and diet products that contain a lot of sugar-they tend to replace the fat with sugar to give the produts some taste.

I eat a little bit of protein with each meal since I can't afford to miss the iron but it is usually peanut butter in the am and about 1 or 2 oz of deli meat (which is about 1 or 2 slices) at lunch and then 3 to 4 oz of meat at night. I also eat fish once a week-a good low fat and healthy choice and shrimp or scallops- grilled or baked.

I tend to get sleepy after lunch when I eat carbs and can't focus so I eat mostly salads or the occasionall sandwich on whole wheat bread.

We also have a 2 veggie rule for dinners- a small piece of meat and 2 different veggies instead of rice or potatoes. We eat potatoes about once per week and rice about once per week.

I cook a lot at home and brown bag my lunch everyday which saves me money and gives me healthier food choices.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:23 PM   #9  

I find that I don't actually lose weight unless I aim for 1200-1400. I realize that this is low but it is what works for me. Even when I was running 5 miles 3x a week, eating 1500-1700 I was not losing at ALL. Having said all that, I know that there are days I am eating more than 1400, but when I was losing regularly at the end of last year I was eating about 1200 a day and walking maybe 3-4 miles a day.

I reckon it is all about what works specifically for YOU. I have experimented a lot and will continue to, I guess!

I recommend a few Wasa crispbreads with peannut butter and jam for a very filling meal (with yogurt and fruit) or snack (on its own). They are great!

Gypsy, do you get Source yogurt in the States? It is fat and sugar free and really really good. I never ate yogurt before, and now I love it.

Lidian
Old 06-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #10  

Smile

halloo everyone and thanks for your advice.

aphil, i am 5'2" and currently at about 165 lbs. that's my lowest that i can remember... well, i was this weight about 6 months ago, down from about 190, but not from trying AT ALL! just from hours and hours of vigorous, mind-boggling sex every day! alas, i moved and left that wonderful man behind, and no one will ever be able to do that again...

now it's a struggle not to gain, because i couldn't keep my portions under control and i was drinking too much and eating junk like chips and candy and cheese. emotional eating, anyone?? no good.

so anyway, the last 2 days weren't the best example of the diet i've been following. i have been eating whole grains almost exclusively, albeit infrequently, and i have been trying to keep my protein down because i am NOT very active (though trying!) and not weight training or anything right now so i know it's not good for my heart and stuff.

mauvais, i didn't think about how small your protein portions are... you are probably not much higher than the RDA. it's really low, anyway; did you know a cup of mushrooms has 7 grams of protein? and the RDA is only 40 grams! everything has protein in it! i could get 40 without ever touching meat or fish or beans or dairy! but i won't, don't worry.

i've never heard of source yogurt, but i'll look for it. i don't seem to be able to find a fat-free, sugar-free flavored yogurt. only plain, and i hate plain.

anyway, have to go check on rice. then will post daily food log for your scrutiny

--gypsy
Old 06-10-2003, 11:11 PM   #11  

Thumbs down cool?

ended up eating d'angelos veggie d'lite sandwich for lunch instead of planned pizza. not too bad, 6 g fat, 290 cal...

can't believe how much chili i got for so few calories! especially with only 1/2c brown rice and 1/2 c black beans (can't believe i used to eat the whole can ) soooo yummy, i'm eating it right now.

i took my late snack off the menu because it's already so late (though i have to stay up to pack so i'll need the energy from dinner!) and because i added some olive oil and tomato puree to the chili recipe so i came out at 1276 cal in the end.

i'm really not hungry at this level as long as i prepare and eat enough high-volume, high-water-content, low-cal veggies.

but i am going to visit my bro in OR this week (tomorrow) so who knows if i'll be able to stick to strict 1200-1300... we'll see.

good luck everyone!

--gypsy
Old 06-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #12  

I tend to find that there are a few things that help out a sluggish metabolism. (ie-having trouble losing at a more moderate calorie level of 1400-1500) The first thing I recommend to any woman is that she take up some form of strength training. What a lot of women do not realize, is that while they are burning lots of calories doing cardio like walking, running, aerobics, etc. is that they are not training the muscles of their entire body. Walking tends to work mostly your front and back thighs and calves, rollerblading tends to work your inner and outer thighs, etc. and so on...with strength training you work each individual body part-which causes a MUCH nicer physique and body shape, and you also strengthen the underused muscles that you do not work a lot during your regular cardio exercise-this can also help avoid injury during your cardio sessions when all of the muscles are balanced. There are too many benefits to count...a firmer body, less likely to have an injury, reduced risk of osteoporosis through weight bearing exercise, and the most fun of all is that your body burns calories quicker when it has more muscle! So by adding strength training you will soon be able to lose at a higher calorie level-and I like to eat, so that is great for me.
I also think it is great to surprise your muscles now and then. If you walk every day for exercise, once in a while do an aerobics tape, or do a run-walk session (run 2 minutes, walk for 3, repeat) or swim, walk but in a more hilly area or deepen the incline on the treadmill, take a Pilates class, bike ride, etc. Your body can get used to doing the same thing over and over again and will burn less calories after a while if it doing the same thing over and over again.
gypsy-protein is not bad for your heart-it is essential to feed your muscles. What is bad for your heart is the saturated fats in some meats and fat sources. The key is to think of "solid at room temperature=bad." Cut the fat off of the edges of a steak or pork chop, don't use shortening, avoid bacon and choose skim dairy over whole milk and cream...it is the solids that have the saturated fat. Saturated fat is also added to "shelf stable bakery items." (think Hostess and Little Debbie products) This is why they can be on the shelf for ages and not get dried out or stale-they are pretty bad for your heart as well. Protein from lean chicken breast, seafood, extra lean meats...these are fine and are not affecting your heart negitavely by going over the RDA. Concentrate on getting your 100% dv of calcium, and take a multivitamin-and don't worry so much about each and every nutrient. If you are getting a variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet-varying them each day/week instead of eating the same old apple each and every day-then you will be fine. I usually check the sale ads each week and buy the produce that is on sale so I am not always eating the same old thing-last week was apples, dried apricots, and bananas-this week's ad that I just got has strawberries, nectarines, and peaches on sale. I get different fruits and veggies each week and save money at the same time.
Here was my menu for yesterday:
Protein meal replacement bar-220
royal jelly supplement-25
yogurt-80
small baked apple with cinnamon and Splenda-80
pita pizza-230
stuffed cabbage roll-190
strawberry whole fruit bar-80
small piece of lean beef-200
2 servings vegetables-100
1s. whole wheat bread-60
1T. peanut butter-95
total-1360
it wasn't really divided into meals...a lot of times I like to graze all day, not really eating a full meal, just smaller more frequent snack size meals.
As far as yogurt-the Wal-Mart brand is fast free and sugar free, and Blue Bunny has a fat free sugar free kind sweetened with Splenda-they are both pretty good. Also-a lot of times if you want a certain brand and your local grocery store does not carry it, they will get it in for you if you call them and ask for it. I asked our Wal-Mart to carry a certain brand of baby cereal for me and my son a couple of years ago, and they got it in in about a month. It never hurts to ask.

Aphil

Last edited by aphil; 06-11-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:33 AM   #13  

Wednesday's menu

Breakfast:

Snack:

Lunch:
salad of romaine and leaf lettuce,alphala sprouts, tomatoes,with 1 0z cheese and 1.5 oz ham, garlic dressing
fresh fruit salad of mango, kiwi and strawberries
2 slices of melba toast
1 sweet escapes bar

Snack
1 cup grapes
1 cup decaf tea with sweetner

Dinner;
1 chicken breast marinated in Jerk sauce and baked
1 small baked potato
1 cup fiddleheads
(Canadian/Jamaican cuisine infusion - )
Old 06-11-2003, 01:42 PM   #14  

What the heck is a fiddlehead?
Aphil
Old 06-11-2003, 02:30 PM   #15  

It is basically the shoot of a fern that hasn't grown into a plant yet. They taste like asparagus - to me anyway- you steam them then eat them with a little butter, salt and pepper
Closed Thread