Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 07:33 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Burp! I went out for Greek food last night...Greek beer, Chicken Athena with greek potatoes, small side of Greek salad and Galatikbouriko for dessert....though I did go for a 1/2 hour walk afterwards... so that may have burned some of those calories off

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 05-31-2003 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:50 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

I accidentally ate some carrots, which are NOT on my new diet!
Old 05-31-2003, 06:25 PM   #3  

What diet is that Ellis? Oh, is it South Beach or one of the other glycemic-index ones? Those are the ones that don't like carrots I think. And how is it going? What CAN you eat?

Lidian
Old 05-31-2003, 07:19 PM   #4  

Yes, it's the South Beach, Lidian. We bought the book the other day... this is our second day on it. Apart from a headache from cutting back on the carbs, I'm doing pretty well.
I'll tell you more about it later, but I'm burning my dinner. (yes Lidian... I am actually making dinner! )
Old 05-31-2003, 07:48 PM   #5  

I'm back.
For dinner I'm eating a chicken breast with roasted Spanish onion, broccoli, mushrooms and red pepper. It's pretty yummy. Got a big bowl full. burp

Here's a good link... Prevention magazine did an article on the diet, and covered it fairly extensively. There's even a forum for it on their site.
http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...0,5023,00.html

For dessert I get to have this yummy mixture of low-fat ricotta with a tiny bit of sweetener (I know, I know... I hate sweeteners, but this isn't going to kill me), grated lime zest, and vanilla extract. Or I COULD have the Mocha Ricotta Creme instead. Or the Almond Ricotta Creme...
I even get to have snacks. A mozzarella cheese stick mid-morning, and a couple of slices of low fat chicken or ham with scallions and red pepper strips wrapped in lettuce for a mid-afternoon snack.
For breakfast this morning I had an egg-white omelet full of mushrooms, onions and spinach. And a little mozzarella. With a glass of V-8. And coffee with skim milk.
And for lunch my DH made us romaine lettuce wraps with tuna, radishes, onions, red pepper, and a little olive oil dressing. It was wonderful! (of course I WAS pretty hungry... it's amazing how good ANYTHING will taste when you're on a diet)

To my surprise, I'm not missing my much-lusted-after bread. I DID see a 5 dollar bill sticking out of my knapsack this afternoon and thought, "Aha! Bridge mixture and a bag of chips!" But I overcame the moment.

There's an initial two week period with no bread stuff (including rice, pasta, etc) or fruit. But you get lots of veg.
And then there's phase 2... you get to start adding in a few extra carbs. And there's phase 3, which is maintenance.
I'm really glad I bought the book. I was going to try to wing it with info from the Internet, but it was worth the 35 dollars.

Ummm, as we're in "pigs", I will confess that I had a handful of pistachios this afternoon. Which are allowed, but not in quite the quanitity I had.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:38 AM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

mmmmm....your dinner sounded pretty yummy Ellis-good luck with your plan I had read an article on the South Beach diet and it sounded pretty interesting. There are a few people in the Low-Carb forum that are doing it too.

Well I went to a bbq yesterday- I tried hard to stay OP...I had a small steak and some salad but then I ended up eating some pasta salad - but very high in points, had a couple of beers then two coffees and some cookies.

I hope I haven't done too much damage between Friday and Saturday- I will eat well today and drink lot's of water

Tomorrow is weigh in
Old 06-03-2003, 10:41 AM   #7  

That DOES sound good, Ellis...I have a book from years ago called "The Good Calorie Diet" based on the glycemic index thing and it sounds a lot like South Beach, in fact almost exactly the same except that in the first phase you don't eat animal protein and then ease back into chicken et al in the 2nd phase. It always looked pretty good to me. Maybe I will try it out too!

Lidian
Old 06-03-2003, 12:54 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Some of the LC Chicks on the South Beach have been having problems with Phase II. Adding back more carbs just does not work for them - so far.

Pig out confession: I ate about 1/2 a boz of Stoned Wheat Thins last night but I did share with the Doggage and used fat free cheese.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #9  
Searching

Cool Where do I start?

I am the piggiest of the pigs.

Breakfast
One Oreo Cookie Icecream Sandwich
Bowl of Spaghetti
Handfuls of M&M's

Last Night
1 Custard
1 Lemon Ice
1 Steak Sandwich
1/2 Order of Fries
1 Rootbeer (not diet! , like it would have mattered!)

Yesterday
1*10^6 bowls of Cinnamon Life
some Snicker bars
some assorted Hershey Chocolates (I don't even like these!)

More food than anyone person can fit in. I am so gross, and spent some time whipping myself with a cane(no it wasn't a candy cane or I probably would have ate that too!!!!!)

So nothing to do but weigh (tommorow )
Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 04:36 PM   #10  

Oh damn... I just ate 4 pieces of bacon. I'll have to leave the meat out of my dinner. I feel like emptying the fridge into my stomach. First time I've really had cravings on this diet. I'm NOT hungry... I'm just having some sort of attack.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:47 PM   #11  

I am thinking about those cashews. Good thing they are in a high place in several layered containers or else they would be gone. Gone! And yesterday, in anticipation of starting SB, I had 2 large peppermint patties, some goldfish& about 4 pieces of raisin toast. Burp!

Lidian
Old 06-04-2003, 07:18 PM   #12  

Lidian, are you doing South Beach? Did you buy the book? If not, I've got it, and I'm totally easy with the info. In exchange for the occasional kick in the butt.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:08 AM   #13  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

well, I have had a handful of swedish fish, 2/3 of a bag of popcorn and a 1/2 box of raisinets. and now I have coffee and am eyeing the box of Munch-ems. I am sitting here at work at 2:05am, and waiting for what I am suppose to be doing to start. I don't think it will anytime soon, so I will probably eat some more. I love all you Canadian chickies, but I am currently sending not-so-nice vibes to BC, since they are the cause of my problems. Also, I hate payroll.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:15 AM   #14  

Yes Ellis, I am just into day 2 - it is OK so far! You inspired me, you see...I do have a question for you - I know you can have skim milk in coffee in the morning in phase one...what about fat free sugar free yogurt? Or soy milk? I like the Source yogurts & would like to alternate them with the egg whites & Piller's fake bacon (turkey ham strips, 20 cals each, pretty good too but not bacon, sigh!) in the morning.

It is strange not to have bread. But so far no headaches, which is good. How are you doing? You are just about at the end of week one, right?

Lidian
Old 06-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #15  

Lidian, it says to avoid all yogurts, ice cream, and soy milk in phase one.
We bought Maple Leaf turkey bacon. I'm actually getting used to it.

I just looked at Phase Two... you can start having the yogurt (light, fruit-flavored plain, low-fat or fat-free) and light soy milk.

We're on day seven today. So far I haven't deviated at all. Although yesterday I DID eat more than I should have. (4 extra pieces of bacon and 4 pieces of low-fat chicken cold cuts)
But I've lost 5 pounds so far, and I'm pretty happy with the diet.

We also bought a bunch of those little cans of V-8 for breakfasts. I HATE tomato juices, but again, I'm getting used to this.
Closed Thread