3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Alternachicks book club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/26548-alternachicks-book-club.html)

mauvaisroux 04-10-2003 06:27 PM

Alternachicks book club

Hello everyone:wave:

I thought that since we all love to talk about books so much that I would start a thread for us to share books we have known and loved, favorite authors, books we are currently reading, personal book reviews, recommendations.

Besides our favorite leisure books, reviews and recommendations of health, diet, exercise, lifestyle, cookbooks, and favorite magazines or other articles of interest would be great too!

We'll just have to share a virtual glass of wine or grape juice with each other over our book discussions ;)

Happy reading :)

mauvaisroux 04-10-2003 06:34 PM

Okay, since I am an instigator :devil: and started this thread, I will go first. (sips glass of merlot ;) )

I would highly recommend the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.
They are sort of a Fantasy/magic :wizard: themed series, very humourous in a tongue in cheek/Monty Python type way.

Although each book has a separate story and can stand alone they do have recurring characters and I would suggest that you start with the first book " The Colour of Magic".

squeaker 04-10-2003 07:43 PM

Ok, I will jump in on this one.

I just finished reading Everythings Eventual by Stephen King. A collection of his short stories. It was pretty good. Some stories obviously better then others.

I am currently reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. So far it is really interesting, though a little confusing. It is the first in the Mayfair Witches series. The family tree seems very involved, which is why I am getting lost.

Other books I have read recently are:
The Lovely Bones, but I can't remember who wrote it. It was good, and not as creepy as it could have been, in a good way. It is about a young girl who is murdered, and from heaven, she watches her family cope.

White Oleander, which wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad.

I tried very hard to read Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. I had been told by 2 different people, I would love it. I borrowed the boy's copy, and couldn't get past pg 100. I started over a few times even. It just never really did much for me. :shrug:

Lidian 04-10-2003 08:30 PM

I just read a memoir called Where She Came From by Helen Epstein about her mother and grandmother who were Czech Jews - and all the research she did tracking down their life stories. It was really good.

I am rereading Bill Bryson's book on Australia, In a Sunburned Country - he is very funny and interesting, has written about the US, England, Europe & hiking the Appalachian Trail (which is something I would like to do someday).

Lidian

Aradia 04-10-2003 08:45 PM

Oooo, this is a thread I can completely jump in on. I am a total book worm. Lets see, I absolutely lover the Harry Potter Books. I just totally lose myself in those. Then of course, anything by Scott Cunningham, and I have currantly got Stop Stuffing Yourself by WW ordered, I'll let you all know how that one is as soon as I get it

Oh, yeah, check out the avator. I think its cool.

Amyjo01 04-10-2003 10:04 PM

Re-reading for the 4th time, Stephen King's ~ Bag of Bones... one of his best books if I do say so myself. Bone chilling, (pardon the pun) This is one of the erriest books I have ever read would HIGHLY reccommend it if you haven't read it and like his work.......

lizziness 04-11-2003 02:32 AM

can i play too?

i'm new, but can i butt in anyways? I just finished reading a really good book that I didn't think i'd like.

"The Binding Chair: Or, A Visit from the Foot Emancipation Society" by Kathryn Harrison

I'm still deciding what it's about, really... though the underlying theme is birth-death-rebirth. It was a very good period piece set in China, France, and Russia in the early 1900's

Another one that I rather enjoyed was the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier This one is a great set about three very strong women during 9th century Ireland. She did a lot of homework into the old customs and religious beliefs and even though fantasy is not really my usual genre the trilogy is now among my favorites ever.

Also, ANYthing by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...
wow, i'm just all over the place :)

ellis 04-11-2003 08:50 AM

Lizziness... of course you can join in! Particularly if you're a book reader. :D The books you've listed sound excellent... I'm going to look for "The Binding Chair..."

Well, you'd think I'd be in here like a dirty shirt, but I'm a little depressed right now, so I'm regressing. I've got two Hardy Boy books on the go beside my bed. :lol: (Lidian, they're just not as good as the Nancy Drew books, are they. snicker)

Downstairs, I'm reading ummm, The Penguin Book of Art Writing. It's an anthogy of "eyewitness accounts about the whole artistic process..."
And I'm rereading Famous Last Words, by Timothy Findley. Not his best, but quite intriguing... he's combined fiction and historical fact in a story revolving around "Hugh Selwyn Mauberley" during the final days of the Second World War. Ezra Pound does; of course, figure in the story. ;)

I need some new books...
:dance:

Ruthxxx 04-11-2003 01:19 PM

Ezra Pound! Darn name dropper!

I have just finished re-reading Mordecai Richler's St. Urban's Horseman and loved it as much as I loved it the first two times.

Still on the go right now is "Unless" by Carol Shields (taking me ages) and "Dropped Threads", an anthology of women's thoughts about life in general and what our mother's never told us.

Can you tell I like Canadian authors?

cacikat 04-11-2003 02:30 PM

I hope I can join in too as I just love to read and will read almost anything anyone puts in front of me. My dh says I can't pass any place that sells books without stopping and buying at least one.

I just finished reading The Vanished Man by Jeffry Deaver (a mystery) which I didn't really expect to enjoy, but turned out to be an excellent read. I also read The Lovely Bones, but to me it seemed to drag in the middle and I was not too excited about the ending, but I guess since it has been on the bestseller list so long, maybe I am wrong. Also read James (?) Patterson's new book The Jester which is completely different from anything else he has written. Will to now and see if the I can The Colour of Magic as I have been enjoying the Harry Potter books. Hope you can suggest other that are entertaining. Caci

ellis 04-11-2003 02:45 PM

Well, I didn't want to deceive anyones thinking that Hugh Selwyn Mauberley was some sort of ummm... real person.

Oh... Canadian... me too, Ruthie! I just finished Catherine Parr Trail's The Backwoods of Canada. She was a MUCH livlier writer than her sister, Susanna Moodie.
I've got Mordecai's "Horsemen", but I haven't read it yet... obviously I'd better get started if it's that good! Isn't he a character.

I went for an hour and a half walk this morning, and mid-way stopped at a bookstore. :D
I bought, ummm...
Maurice or The Fisher's Cot by Mary Shelley
Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 by Garrison Keillor
Giant by Edna Ferber (now THERE'S a nose!!)

And I picked my DH up Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle. In English. I'm trying to read it quickly before he gets home from work. :D It's pretty a pretty cozy/easy read. Exactly what I need right now.

Welcome, Caci!

ellis 04-11-2003 02:47 PM

Make that "livelier".

Ruthxxx 04-11-2003 04:03 PM

Well.....I wasn't going to say anything!

ilovemyluckycat 04-11-2003 08:22 PM

Ellis,

I read that planet of the apes! THEN I saw the movie. I kept talking during the movie saying..."No no no that is not what is suppose to happen!" I love short stories (of any genre) and revisionist history. any recommendations??????

I have to read an adolescent book called Hidden Talents, but it looks good, so it'll be fine.

Sandi

ellis 04-12-2003 07:05 AM

Uh huh, Sandi. :yes: I always liked the movie, but the book is MUCH better (as is often the case). It's actually quite "deep". Sort of a "Lord of the Flies" or a "1984" type.

Short stories... I'm sorry to say I don't enjoy them very much... they're just too damned short! ;) I HAVE read a number of good compilations by women. And Canadians... let me see what I've got...

ummm, sorry Sandi... I must not have kept any of them. Have you read Garrison Keillor? I know people either love him or hate him. My favorite of his is [u]Leaving Home[/]. It's a bunch of short stories, and they're (in my opinion) hilarious.

fluid_fiction 04-12-2003 03:18 PM

*rolls the two cents pokeball*

Alice Hoffman. she is possibly one of the most amazing authors i've ever read. her stories are heartwrenching, either joyfully or sorrowfully. i ~finally~ found a copy of Practical Magic, and will start that when i'm done with the one i'm on. (Property Of) however, i think that The River King and Here on Earth are maybe her best two works to date.

:spin:

cacikat 04-14-2003 08:47 AM

I have never read anything by Alice Hoffman. I have River King in my pile of TBR books, but so far it has just been sitting there as I did not know of anyone who had read it. It is good? Who else do you like to read? I think I also have Practical Magic by her way, way down in my TBR list.
Is the book Planet of the Apes really better than the movie. My little store here has the pp on sale for $1.00, and if it is good may blow a whole dollar on it. Caci

Lamorgan 04-14-2003 09:55 AM

I loved the Lovely Bones by Alice Sebald (Sebold??).

Hominids (SF) by Robert J. Sawyer was excellent, plus Humans. I await the 3rd one!

The Red Tent was excellent. Forget who wrote it. About the women from the 1st testiment, and their perspective of life at that time.

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card, a twist on the Sleeping Beauty tale.

I'm reading My Lover's Lover now, it's kind of bizarre.

See ya!

Lam

rochemist 04-14-2003 10:28 AM

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander Smith

The story of Precious Ramotswe set in Batswana, Africa. Very clever with an understanding of culture and why we should enjoy the simpler things in life. I highly reccomend this book!

Good to Great
A discussion of what makes Level 5 CEO's based upon years of research. This is really good and if your in business with any ambition I have to recommend this.

Good in Bed
I think people have brought this book up before. Total chick book, but the main character is fat and the only time she gets thin is under duress. She comes to appreciate her body and her life.

I have been sucking the books down as of late. I think I am mentally putting off studying for my WWT exam and the building of a pump is BORING reading. . The test is on Thursday and then I need to do my homework on Safety Loss Control. Fun, Fun!

Miss Chris

Goddess Jessica 04-14-2003 12:22 PM

Science Fiction/ Fantasy

-The Onion Girl by Charles De Lint - It's about fantasy artist who is struck by a car and dreams of visiting her fantasy world. Very character driven.
-The Good Omen by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Very funny book about the apocolypse featuring a demon and an angel who have become good friends over the centuries they have been waiting for it to happen.
-Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Dick. Novelette that Bladerunner is based on. Classic.

I'm reading Empire Falls right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

CrazyChubbyBeautiful 04-16-2003 06:38 PM

I love to read, but unfortunately with my busy life and this small place, I rarely find the time and the quiet at the same time. The last book I read was The Poisonwood Bible, and it was excellent! I have The Red Tent from the library, along with a could hiking/backpacking books. Just have to find the time to read them.

SuperMissy 04-16-2003 08:08 PM

I'm re-reading Fall on Your Knees, by Anne Marie Macdonald right now. The first time I read it, I tore through it so fast... it's just one of those books. You have to see what's going to happen next. I'm going to take my time this time, and soak up the details :)

I'm a huge fan of Wally Lambs books, She's Come Undone, and You Know This Much is True. Amazing, Amazing books.

squeaker 04-16-2003 11:19 PM

I have a few more suggestions. A few books I have read in the past and liked:

Seance for a Vampire by Fred Saberhagen. Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula are cousins. Very strange, but not the first book in the series. I didn't have too many problems reading it, but have not found the first book yet.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. Very strange book about a very strange house.

In Country by Bobbie Ann Mason. About a Vietnam Vet after the war.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. Very strange, silly book. This one I didn't exactly read, I had it read to me. Yes I was an adult at the time, and so was the person reading it to me. I know it sounds weird, but we have a weird relationship.

Lamorgan 04-17-2003 09:05 AM

Lost my post. Eaten somehow...

Anyway. I was writing about how I like Charles de Lint as well, but haven't read the Onion Girl. I'll have to get it from another branch...

I've just started a book by Barbara Wood titled The Blessing Stone. So far it's good.

I've heard that Fall on Your Knees is really brutal.

Rusholme Road is excellent, as is Crow Lake, Kit's Law and Latitudes of Melt. All Canadian I think, most about Eastern Canada except Rusholme Road which is about Chatham Ontario where the Underground Railroad ended.

I just finished a Genre Fiction Reader's Advisory course, and I had to read lots of genres (like romance, western, crime, etc.) that I don't usually read so now I'm on a reading binge of what I want to read, not what I have to read or should be reading.

Today it is freezing rain and I'm going to curl up on the couch with my book, an hour and a half walking in the nasty weather exhausted me.

Lois

Amyjo01 04-17-2003 10:35 PM

I have one for you I just started today... I will let you know how it goes... it is called

How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex.

:?:

Ohhhh the grief!!!!

ellis 04-18-2003 08:25 AM

That reminds me, Amy. We've got a book called, "How to Stay Lovers While Raising Your Kids". Bought it 12 years ago. Still haven't had time to read the damned thing. :rolleyes:

Oh, and we've got "The Joy of Sex" around somewhere. Those drawings don't do much to stimulate me. :lol:

SuperMissy 04-18-2003 07:45 PM

Fall on your knees is brutal :) I like it, but a lot of people I've talked to about it didn't.

Amy! *LOL* My parents didn't talk to me about sex. They bought ME the book. A pop up book. I am SO not kidding. I still have it too. :?: Traumatic.

sock queen 04-18-2003 10:49 PM

I am new to the site. I posted a newbie notice on one of the other threads. Maybe that was not the right way of introducing myself.

However, when I saw the "book club," I knew I had found the right thread. I am an English teacher and avid reader. I have also written a science fiction novel (unpublished, but maybe that will change this summer!). I just started a murder mystery with a southern heroine yesterday. I have about 16 pages done, and I like her so far.

I read mostly science fiction--and I'll read anything sci-fi that's $1 or less at a yard sale or on eBay. I particularly like Larry Niven, Lois McMaster Bujold, and C.J. Cherryh.

As for personal information: I am 35, 5'8", and weigh 228 pounds. I found out about 7 months ago that I am a type 2 diabetic. I am finding it hard to lose weight with diet alone. I have an immune system disorder that prevents me from doing much exercise. I've got one of those no-impact machines on order, though, and hope to be able to use it. Whew! I'm long-winded tonight!

Angela
SW: 228
1st goal: 220 by 20 May
2nd goal: 212 by 20 June
3rd goal: 199 by 01 AugAngela
Quote:

THE FATE OF POETRY IS TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THE WORLD IN SPITE OF HISTORY--DEREK WALCOTT

Amyjo01 04-18-2003 11:34 PM

OH MY GOSH>>>>> Sock Queen is from ALABAMA!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know anyone from Alabama but me knew how to use a computer :) Really just kidding.... Hope you plan to stick around this is a great group of people who all walk different paths. They are the best support group ever.

nirvanagurly 04-18-2003 11:40 PM

I am a advid anne rice fan so I have read all her stuff and love it, I saw someone mention white oleander..I really liked that book...the movie was ok, but i liked the book better
my all time favs are the mists of avalon and the preistess of avalon and the forest house and the lady of avalon..that whole series there

i just read one called butterfly..i can not think of the author and right now i just bought a book at the lil used book store today..
and i dont know where i put it..lol
and can not think of the name of it..but i will report back if its any good its kinda a fantasy type book I think
i really never read fantasy type novels untill the mists of avalon and then i got soo obbessed with that book i actually wanted to go to the uk and find avalon and everything else..LOL

i still do secertly i just dont talk about it as much cuz ppl thought I had kinda lost it..lmao

nirvanagurly 04-18-2003 11:46 PM

I wanted to add a thank you to whomever started this post, I spend alot of time out by the sandbox with my youngest cuz she isnt old enuff to play out alone..we live in a big apt. complex..and really all i have to do out there is read..so i am always always looking for good books to read..

so feel free to recommend anything to me..

espically if they reminded you of the mists of avalon..lol
or something anne riceish..i am a little squimish I am not a true horror fan..espically if a child is hurt..and I hate kidnapping books..oh my god i will have nightmares forever..lol

i like stuff with like cool females..stuff i can relate too in life..
sex is always good too..lol
i am a perv..lmao

sock queen 04-19-2003 09:23 AM

planning ahead

Yes, amyjo, I'm from Alabama. I'm even a native who knows how to use the computer. :angel: I'm from Andalusia, and I teach at small 6-12 school near Troy.

I was thinking yesterday about how I can stay on track over the holiday weekend. I've decided to plan for it. We have a huge family reunion/feast on Sunday. So I'm making a bowl of my special cabbage salad, turkey, and sugar-free coconut pie. Then I'll treat myself to one dollop of one other food that looks good. That way, I may not be getting the exchanges exactly right, but I won't be blowing it, either.

I find that a lot of my eating problem is due to STRESS--which is mostly due to lack of planning on my part. So I'm working on being more organized for school. That way maybe I won't be so tempted to make a candy stop after school. I'm also trying to plan better meals after school so that I don't get so hungry that I eat whatever is slow enough for me to catch it. :angel: And you'd be amazed how fleet of foot I am when I'm hungry.

Get outside! It's gorgeous down here.

bella23 04-19-2003 09:53 AM

I am going to start reading "A Boy Called It" I forget the name of the author (sorry) It's about the 3rd worst case of child abuse in american history. I am supposed to read it for school. Very graphic and very sad.

I am also reading my daughter Harry Potter. She is only 4 so it should take us forever to finish it. But that's ok.

Bella23

mauvaisroux 04-23-2003 08:37 PM

I am currently reading Death's Door by Michael Slade. I am halfway through and will let you all know how it is when I am done. I will say that it is not for the sqeamish :yikes: :p

lizziness 04-23-2003 09:30 PM

new book i'm reading

I am now reading a book called "arabian jazz"by Diana Abu-Jaber and so far it is interesting. Kind of a slow read, but it is good. I'll let you know my opinion when I am done.
I just read most of "Buddhism for Beginners" by Thubten Chodron and it was short, simple (well as simple as you can be when trying to explain something so complex), and to the point. I enjoyed most of the read, but honestly got to some stuff I just couldn't wrap my mind around and stopped reading. If you're interested in learning at all about Buddhism though it's a good place to start. Also read a great one by Dinty Moore called "the accidental buddhist" and it was excellent. His writing style is unique and I loved it.

that's my update for now!
blessings and happy reading!

ginya 04-26-2003 09:06 AM

I will read about anything! As I am on planes, trains, and automobiles so much I go through them pretty quick. I HATE to by new books as they are so ding-dong expensive, so I have a group of places to buy secondhand books. If they are real good, I will bring them home, if not, i leave them on the plane.

I just read my first Terry Practhett. I was dashing out the door at 4:30 am to catch the cab to catch the bus to catch the train to catch the plane...(how do those people do it???) and realized I didn't have a book to read. My friend grabbed the book "Thief of time" and said "not sure you will get into it, but its a good read,"
well, I fell in love! what a world! and what a mind! Its like Hitchhikers guide as seen by monty python. I hope I can find more!

I also read Lovely Bones...interesting
Find Me... suprising, I didn't expect the outcome.
Lamb. A bit of a stretch, a story about the 'lost years of Jesus by his best friend Biff...a hoot!

I love Wally Lamb, when will he have someting new?
and for those Nezheads out there (???) Michael Nesmith wrote a book called The Long Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora. strange and lovely book from a strange and lovely man.

I could go on forever...
the oldest living confederate widdow tells all great read!
all the sherlock holmes stories
anything by Kurt Vonnigut
well, you get my drift...

rochemist 04-27-2003 09:53 PM

Okay I can tell ya'll a book not to read. Wifey by Judy Blume. I just finished this book and immediately tossed it across the bedroom. WHAT DRIBBLE! I won't even go into the weak plot.

Miss Chris

ellis 05-03-2003 08:23 AM

I've just started reading Michael Moore's Stupid White Men. It's nothing new to me, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it anyhow. :D

dentrassi 05-03-2003 11:59 AM

That is a GREAT book Ellis!!!! (Okay, now go rent Canadian Bacon)

ellis 05-03-2003 01:52 PM

I saw it at the video store yesterday and thought of you. However, as I'm completely wrapped up in the hockey playoffs right now (never watched hockey before in my life, but as we're beating the pants off you...), I thought I'd wait to rent it. :D