Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 08:30 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Question Why am I doing this?

With the February blah's in full force and in an effort to motivate myself I decide to list my reason's for trying to lose weight - time to kick my butt in gear again!

Why am I doing this again

1. To reach and maintain a healthy regular weight.

2. To have better health now and try to prevent health issues as I get older-Mom had breast cancer and has arthritic knees and back problems (she is overweight, has poor eating habits, no exercise at all), Dad has Angina (also was 50 lbs overweight and had poor eating habits).

3. I want to be in good physical shape and not be out of breath after climbing 5 flights of stairs.

3. I want to look better - I want to look in a mirror and say to myself in all honesty that I like what I see and have body confidence.

4. I want to be able to go in to any clothing store and find clothes that fit me and not have the 5'3 -100lb sales girl look at me like I am some Amazonian freak and have that "nothing in here will fit you m'am" look on her face

5. I want to go bathing suit shopping and not get depressed over it!

6. I want to age well and live life to the fullest while doing it!

7. I want to wear thigh high stockings without worrying about my "fat thighs"

I am sure there are more reasons but this is what came to mind.

How about the rest of you Alternachickies?- let's inpire ourselves and each other!

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 02-20-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Fun thread, Mauvaisroux! Let's see... here's a few!
[list=1][*] Because I want to prevent the long list of disease that runs in my family (cancer, heart disease, stroke). I want to be able to care for MYSELF in my old age, and it'll be a whole lot easier if I'm not sick & feeble.[*] I want to be able to do all those fun things I've thought about for years, without being self-conscious or hurting myself!! Wake-boarding with my brother's family in his new boat, hiking in the mountains, going on an African safari, touring the Australian outback, bike-riding through Ibiza or playing all day with my niece! That list could go on & on...[*] I want to look at myself in the mirror and like... no, LOVE what I see.[*] I want to feel perfectly comfortable going to the doctor when I need to... and not feel anxious about that damned scale.[*] I want to wear what I freakin' like, not just what fits me.[*] I want to actually stand & smile when someone pulls out a camera, instead of trying to find a hiding place.[*] I just want to be proud of myself. [/list=1]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:24 AM   #3  
a brave new me...

Angry Oh this is exactly what we need...

Yes, February is such a dreary month... although March is just as bad because it feels like it should be spring and it will just keep snowing outside.

Why am I losing weight and adopting a healthy lifestyle?

1) To prevent the multitude of health problems that come with obesity... diabetes, heart disease, joint problems, high blood pressure, etc etc etc.
2) To have an the energy and capacity to live life to its fullest! For me this would include traveling and biking and camping and kayaking and hiking and rock climbing and running and canoeing and dancing and swimming and gardening and skiing and whatever else catches my adventuring interests!
3) To wear whatever I want... to be able to walk into any store (yes, even a juniors store) and pick something off the rack that looks stunning on me. And I don't mean in size Extra Large!
4) To feel comfortable and confident about my body... to not worry that everyone I see is thinking about how fat I am.
5) I want to put on a swimming suit... even a bikini!! ... and know that I look fabulous!
6) To stop obsessing about food and to stop stuffing my face instead of dealing with my emotions and issues directly.
7) To develop a love for myself and a self-esteem that values who I am enough to take care of myself properly.
8) So that when I am in my senior years I am not hobbling around (like my overweight mother already is)... trapped inside an aching, stressed, fat body that can no longer function adequately. I want to be the fiesty grandma who just returned from trekking in Nepal... not the huffing and puffing obese grandma loading up her motorized cart at the grocery store.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Good idea, Mauvais... thank you!

1. I want clean arteries.
2. I want to run the length of the canal with the wind in my hair.
3. I want to eat to live, not live to eat.
4. I want to be able to fasten my winter coats.
5. I want to be able to wear everything in my closet and discard what doesn't suit me.
6. I want to see my face again. Instead of the marshmallow currently plopped on my fat neck.
7. I want to love my body.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:43 AM   #5  

An excellent idea...February certainly is blah isn't it?

1. So that I can live to an enormous age and be one of those lean, sinewy, athletic 90 year olds like you see in Runner's World magazine sometimes. I want to travel a lot, write books, and boss my descendents around so sweetly they won't even notice I am being bossy!

2. So I can feel self-confident when I am around other people and not feel like disappearing.

3. So I can wear anything I want to - trendy clothes, vintage stuff, anything, and carry it off.

4. To be a good example for my 2 daughters, show them a good way to be a woman taking care of her body and happy with it too. So that they won't have the struggles I have had with weight and self-esteem etc etc.

5. So I can wear my mother's engagement ring on my right ring finger (she had long thin fingers, and it would be hard and expensive to resize as it is a platinum band).

6. So I can feel confident about completing other projects in my life - so I can say to myself, you did THIS, so you can do these other things too.

7. Bathing suit/shorts/short sleeves season, need I say more!

Thanks Mauvais & I LOVE what everyone else has said too!

Lidian
Old 02-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #6  
Student of the Hoof

Ah yes, a good thread indeed.

I love all the previous reasons posted. I suppose I am doing this for many of those, but there's one reason I just can't stop thinking about lately..

Oh how I want to get nekkid in front of my sweetheart without turning off the lights or hiding under a blanket and stop worrying about what I think he might see!! And all the corollaries to that thought.

Old 02-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #7  
Cat Lover

Angry Super thread!!

WHY???

because my fat rolls feel funny when they touch each other

because I looked hideously large next to my size 10 friend

because if I get naked with a guy I want to feel sexy and confident

because I want to be in good muscular and physical shape

because I want to turn heads (hey I have lofty goals!
)

Sandi
Old 02-20-2003, 10:35 PM   #8  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

All of your answers have been wonderful.

But I have to admit the first time I read the original question, my first thought was "I don't know why any more". And I still don't. To add to the mood, I just got a new, more accurate scale. And I will not be able to make my mini goal to at least weight less then I did when I started this whole weight loss journey a year ago at the beginning of March. According to my old, piece of scale, I was 6 pounds lighter then I am. I will be missing my goal by 7 pounds.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:54 PM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

It's just a number, sweetie. You're not actually 6 pounds heavier. Screw the numbers... if it's easier to get your head around it, why not set your new scale for 6 pounds less. It's the end result that's important... don't get discouraged!

I weigh about 5 pounds more on my doctor's scale than at home. I have to remind myself that I HAVEN'T gained 5 pounds in the trip to his office... I'm still the same weight.

hugs, hon...
Old 02-20-2003, 11:39 PM   #10  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Squeak-Ellis is right. Different scales just weigh differently. Adjust the scale or adjust your goal, but DON'T judge yourself so harshly. I only "kept off" 6 of the 17 pounds I lost at the beginning of last year, but I am trying to focus on the fact that I LOST 6 pounds!!! Only 100 more to go!!!!

GOOD IDEA MAUVAIS!!!

1) I want to be able to climb a flight of stairs without getting short of breath.
2) I DON'T want to end up like my Dad. (weight induced asthma and sleep
apnea.)
3) I want to go back to shopping in normal size clothes stores (or petites!!)
instead of plus sizes.
4) I want to feel sexier.
5) I want to be able to COMFORTABLY go camping and hiking again.
6) I want my wedding ring to fit again.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:08 AM   #11  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Thank you Ellis & Den. I know you both are right. It just wasn't a good day yesterday, and that didn't help. And I guess I am just tired and aggrevated.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hey Squeak!

Don't get down girl! Ellis and Den are right about the scales. When I used to go to Weight Watchers their scales weighed me in at 3 lbs heavier than my scales at home - it sucked because I would be good all week and thought I lost and then I would get to WW and find that I only lost 1 lb or nothing at all according to their scale very frustrating.

I would readjust my new scale or readjust my goal- don't dwell on it -move forward!
Old 02-21-2003, 11:23 AM   #13  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Why am I doing this? I have no idea! Can I climb back into bed with a big bowl of dorittos and a large soda and forget this question?? Nah, that is why I am doing this. So I keep those crazy thoughts from entering my brain!

Seriously...
1} to be in shape. Nothing is worse than being out of breath when noone else is! I want top be able to actually catch my son when he takes off running.
2} to wear my clothes comfortably again. To buy clothes in all the depts not just the fat ladies dept in the back corner of the store.
3} to be able to fit in the bathtub, a chair, a bench comfortably with another person.
4} not to diagnoised with a horrible life altering disease in a few years.
5} to look at myself in the mirror and like what I see.
6} to have more self confidence. I lack that with strangers. I would like to show up at my boyfriends work and introduce myself instead of hiding in the shadows. But I don't because I wonder if they are all trying to figure out why a young good looking guy is with such an old frumpy fat lady like myself!
7} to have more room in my closet. If I get rid of all my fat clothes, I will have lots more room!
Old 02-21-2003, 12:49 PM   #14  
Searching

I am doing this because:

1. I want to look as sexy on the outside as I feel on the inside
2. I like to be strong
3. I feel better with less weight
4. I am healthier
5. IT JUST FEELS SO DARN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get up and shake your booty with me ladies IT"S FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!
Miss Chris
Old 02-21-2003, 02:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally posted by rochemist
Get up and shake your booty with me ladies IT"S FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!
Miss Chris
Fess up, Rochemist... you were a cheerleader at one point, weren't you?
Closed Thread