Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:58 AM   #16  
Searching

Liberated, sexual enabled, and self esteem seeking women not offended by open dialogue should indulge in the Notorious C.H.O.
Margaret is as open as ever and I love it at the end where she pokes fun at mom!

Miss Chris
Old 01-16-2003, 01:40 AM   #17  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

Margaret Cho is awesome! I love her! Did anyone see the Anna Nicole Smith Christmas special? Margaret was there, and when she left Anna gave her a huge french kiss. It was, ahem...something to see for sure.

I also love Janeane Goraofolo (Sp?) She is so cute, and cool, and she refuses to be anything other than what she is. That is very cool, and sexy.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:45 AM   #18  

Chris - what does "sexual enabled" mean? sorry if I sound naive!

Terri - thinks she might be enabled, not sure LOL
Old 01-16-2003, 11:33 AM   #19  

I saw the title of this thread and immediately though "MOMENTO!" I literally laughed out loud when I read the first sentence of your post.

Great movie. I haven't seen Signs yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Cheers!

~B
Old 01-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #20  

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen Real Women Have Curves? I'm not sure if its exactly a movie that "makes you think," but its on my list of movies to see. I've read mixed reviews, just curious to see what you guys thought/think.

~B
Old 01-16-2003, 12:41 PM   #21  
Is it Friday yet?

Welcome Alt-belle!

No, I haven't seen Real Women Have Curves, but I read a story on it in People magazine a month or so ago and it sounds really good. Of course here in 'middle of freakin nowhere' Oregon, I'll have to wait for it to come out on video...

Signs I liked, a lot. Not only cuz I'm a crop circle admirer, but because they leave a lot of the movie up to your imagination - and our imaginations can be more disturbing than what someone in Hollywood can show you. I've always believed the scariest parts of movies are the parts we're allowed to make up ourselves.... a la Blair Witch, which was so-so, but that same dark screen and screaming... totally freaks me out.

Terri
Old 01-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #22  
Searching

Talking For Barefoot

You know she is more sexually abled. She makes her own oppurtunities to explore who she is sexually. What she likes and doesn't like, with a unique bravery. So maybe I mispoke but you get my meaning now Barefoot?

FYI: Big Trouble, no thinking but cute. I love DJ Qualls!

Miss Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 12:04 AM   #23  
Searching

Special Features

All these DVDs have special features, what do you gals think? Its usually a 50/50 shot and I never want directors to explain "their vision" to me. What about my vision? Isn't that the point of entertainment, to be entertained, to think about it? I do like deleted scenes, for example, with Fight Club the editor did an awesome job. Other movies needed those scenes in to explain points missed and you think what were they thinking. Donnie Darko has a few missing scenes pertaining to Watershipdown which would have given a fuller feel to the flick. My 2 cents, anyone else think about this stuff??????

Miss Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 12:55 PM   #24  
a brave new me...

Angry Extra Features...

I really enjoy most of the DVD extra features... however I have never listened to the movie-length commentaries. That just seems boring and a waste of time. I do like the behind the scenes stuff, especially for special effects. I also like to hear some of the general commentary by the director and actors. In general I enjoy the extra stuff, unless its cheesy (like games or other weird features).
Old 01-17-2003, 01:09 PM   #25  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I don't usually watch DVDs with the director's comments, they are usually boring and long winded.
However, I did watch the special edition of "Evil Dead" with Bruce Campbell's commentary -it was hysterical
Old 01-17-2003, 03:50 PM   #26  

I've seen both Signs and Real Women Have Curves.

I really enjoyed both of them but for different reasons.

Signs because I love those Mel-Gibson-as-Loving-Dad-and-Husband movies. (He plays that part so well!) I have just enough sentimentality left in me to get gushy over them - and the story was good too, as was the casting and special effects and great suspense

Real Women Have Curves - because as a real woman, you just gotta love any movie that gushes over women of all shapes and colors - a movie that shows us in all our glory - and because it is empowering and it's about a girl with a dream - I was a curvy young girl with a dream once so I liked it and so did my daughter - there were laughs and tears - it was a little long though - my only complaint.

Ok Chris - I thought that was what you meant! Yes, sexual enablement.. I like that a lot - it sometimes makes my husband raise an eyebrow, but heh! and you're right - I like these real women - not the just-trying-to-please-men kind of women.

barefootterri
Old 01-17-2003, 04:03 PM   #27  

Big Night - with Stanley Tucci, Minnie Driver, Tony Shalhoub, Isabella Rosselini

I saw this movie a few years ago and enjoyed it very much, except it was sad at the end as I recall.

Anyone else?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #28  

We saw 25th Hour last night - really enjoyed it.

Of course, it was a special treat for all of us Edward Norton fans!

He played his usual role - tough guy with a human side.

It's a Spike Lee movie - so it has the usual Leeisms that I enjoy - the characters on the moving walkway, in a moral crisis, etc.

And of course, it's New Yorkish and touches on the ethic themes there and post 9/11 world.

Anyway, I recommend it Terri
Old 01-22-2003, 08:53 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Some movies that I love that really make you think:

Silence of the Lambs-one of my all time faves-a true classic. Makes you truly delve into the minds of many a character. To this day I cannot hear "American Girl" by Tom Petty without thinking of Kathryn Martin singing in her car.

Lord of the Rings-I have been a Tolkien fan since puberty age, and Peter Jackson has done a fabulous job with these books-plus you have the added "eye candy" of Legolas. If any of you have not seen the extended version-the extra 30 minutes are fabulous and highly recommended, with lots more character development.

The Omen-I have seen it a zillion times, and I still get edgy.

Dragonslayer-the most realistic dragon I have ever seen in a movie to this day...and has inspired me to make a virgin sacrifice costume for Halloween.

Braveheart-I think this is Mel Gibson's best film ever. He can never top it...I cry everytime.

Forrest Gump-Tom Hank's best work ever. The screenplay was unbeatable.
Aphil

Aphil
Old 01-22-2003, 10:30 PM   #30  
Searching

I am glad you liked 25th hour. I am going to try to see some movies in the next 4 days, and that and the Hours are on the top of my list.

I think Braveheart is one of Mel Gibsons best too.

I watched this movie today, Unfaithful. The movie itself was very pretty. Lots of foreshadowing and use of object to project emotions. The director obviously was complex and was trying t oadd depth to this movie. Well your weakest link is always the script. And despite everyone trying so hard the pace was slow, the story going nowhere, and the sex scenes designed by women and completely gratuitous. The acting was very good, and the movies topic is such a train wreck I did not turn away. But mostly if I could burn this one out of my mind I would.

Miss Chris
Closed Thread