3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Fab Food and Chick tips (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/23246-fab-food-chick-tips.html)

aphil 02-06-2003 01:41 PM

Here are a few of my staples:
Fruit Smoothie:
1 banana
1c. frozen strawberries
1/2c. apple juice
blend in a blender with 1 or 2 ice cubes if desired. About 200 calories, and very filling-and 3 fruit servings!

When I want sweet but still healthy, I also love Quaker cinnamon roll oatmeal-it actually has the icing flavor in it! I also love a little Grape-Nuts mixed in with Yoplait Light yogurt in their Strawberry Orange Sunrise flavor-yummy! That flavor is the best. I also love No Pudge Brownies, and I make high fiber low fat muffins in either apple cinnamon or blueberry with the muffin mix-I THINK it is Duncan Hines-but it says "made with All Bran cereal" on the package. I reduce the fat and calories by replacing the oil with either an equal amount of applesauce or fat free yogurt. They are very good. I have also found that pumpkin pie can be made a lot lighter by using fat free condensed milk instead of regular, and replacing each egg with 2 egg whites, and the sugar with Splenda. It turns out just great.
Aphil

ilovemyluckycat 02-11-2003 08:51 PM

Salmon-Your friend and mine!

I love salmon; so if I go out to eat I get the salmon (broiled of course). I read in a magazine that when you go out they feed you too much anyway so you should get the take out box right away. Then you half what you are eating and ...presto! There's lunch for tomorrow and hundreds of calories saved.

2 days ago I tried it. It's easy. I joked to the waitress that yes, I was still going to stay. She brought me the box, I halfed the entree and then ate until my plate was clean!

I wish I'd thought of that years ago!

Sandi

ellis 02-12-2003 06:55 AM

Sandi, that is SUCH a good idea!

mauvaisroux 02-23-2003 11:10 PM

FYI

If anyone needs help with meal planning, pantry stocking etc., www.organizedhome.com has some great tips on starting a pantry, meal planning and freezer cooking as well as household cleaning tips and budget tips. I found this site very handy :)

blackbird 02-26-2003 11:29 AM

I have a great treat...Love it!
Back when they had Snackwells chocolate yogurt, I used to freeze it...just like (well, kinda) ice cream. They stopped making it, or stocking it in the whole state of Nebraska???Not sure which. Anyway, my new fav. thing is lemon or lime flavored yogurt to freeze. It tastes wonderful and takes a really long time to eat.
blessings,
blackbird

Lunula 02-27-2003 10:05 PM

Here's my homemade smoothie recipe - I make this about 3x per week & I love it!

1/3 cup orange juice (I like it with orange/pineapple or orange/tangerine the best)
2 tablespoons apple juice
3 tablespoons drinkable lowfat raspberry yogurt (I get a brand called Stonyfield Farms, dunno how available this is, but I'm sure raspberry yogurt would work, too)
1 medium banana
4 frozen strawberries (like the kind you find in the frozen food section for pies - no sugar added!)
1 scoop non-fat frozen yogurt

Blend & drink - yummy!

mauvaisroux 03-09-2003 04:27 PM

I promised some recipes this weekend so here they are.

PITA PIZZAS

2 small or medium size pitas (preferable pocketless)
2 large plum tomatoes, sliced thin
1 small to medium green pepper, sliced thin
2 large white mushrooms, slice thin
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasonings
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Spray a large nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place the pitas on the baking sheet.

In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes and salt, stir in the basil, oil, garlic and Italian seasoning.

Top the pitas with the tomato mixture, drizzling any liquid in the bowl over the toppings. Distribute the green pepper and mushrooms over the pitas. Bake until the vegetables are hot and softened, around 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove the pitas from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over them. Return the pitas to the oven for 2-3 minutes on until the cheese is melted. Cut the pitas in half and put on a serving plate.

Serves 2

I usually serve this with a side ceasar salad or green salad for a quick week night dinner.

I think it may be around 4 or 5 points per serving-not sure.

SEAFOOD SALAD

1 cup imitation crab meat, cut into bit-sized pieces (or real if you can afford it)
1 cup frozen shrimp (thawed) that has been deveined, cut the tails off or you can use canned picnic shrimp
1/4 cup ceasar salad dressing ( I use Kraft- low fat)
1 tablespoon cocktail shrimp sauce (any brand)
2-3 cups of Romaine lettuce, torn
1 medium size tomato, cut into four wedges

Wash the Romaine thouroughly to remove any dirt, pat dry with paper towels or use a salad spinner (this works better)
Tear up Romaine into a bowl. Toss the crab meat and shrimp with the lettuce.

In small bowl mix the salad dressing with the cocktail sauce.

Toss the salad with the dressing and garnish with the tomato wedges.

Serves one for a light meal or two for a starter.

I double the recipe and serve it with crusty bread and a glass of white wine for a quick and light summer meal for my DH and I.

CURRY IN A HURRY

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
1 small onion, cut into large pieces
1 medium sized green pepper, cut into large chunks
1 medium sized tomato, cut into four wedges
1 can Patak's Korma curry sauce (mild curry)
1 teaspoon or so of olive oil

In a large frying pan heat the olive oil over medium heat Add the chicken and cook until there is no pink left. When the chicken is partially cooked, about halfway, add the green pepper. When the pepper is softened add the onion and tomato. Cook until onions are softened.

Add the can of Korma sauce, turn the heat down a little and simmer for about 5 to 10 min, stirring occasionally until the sauce is heated through.

Remove pan from heat and serve the curry over a bed or rice ( I use basmati rice but if I am in a rush I do use minute rice )

Serves 2-3 people or 2 and some leftovers for 1 for lunch the next day.

SESAME CHICKEN

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Flatten the chicken breasts by placing them between two sheets of plastic wrap and pounding with a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Set the chicken aside on a plate.

Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium high heat until hot. Add the sesame seed to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until seeds are brown, stirring constantly. Remove seeds from pan and set aside.

In a small bowl combine the sesame seed, honey, soy sauce, and ginger, set aside.

Spray the same frying pan with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side, lightly browning the chicken.
Add the honey-soy sauce mixture to the pan by pouring over the chicken breasts. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, turning the chicken to coat both sides with the sauce.

Serve the chicken with steamed veggies and/or rice and pour the remaining sauce from the pan over the chicken.

Serves 4

This is a nice quick meal as it takes less than 30 minutes to cook :)

aphil 03-10-2003 10:12 AM

blackbird-they DID stop making the Snackwells yogurt altogether. I had wondered that myself a few months ago-and emailed the company. They said it wasn't popular enough to keep producing it. Too bad-it was really great.
Aphil

punky_s 03-10-2003 02:48 PM

Great Fish Recipes

Here are some fish recipes that I thought that everyone will enjoy.:D
===================================
:chef:Poached Fish Dijon
Milk added to the flavorful poaching liquid keeps white fish snowy white.
1 pound cod or firm lean fish fillets
2 cups water
1/3 cup skim milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lemon,pealed,thinly sliced and seeded
Dijon-dill sauce (below)
If fish fillets are large cut into 4 serving pieces.
Heat water, milk,salt and lemon slices to boiling in 10 inch skillet.Place fish in skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered unil fish flakes easily with fork.8 to 10 minutes. Prepare Dijon-dill sauce. Remove fish with slotted spatula; drain. Serve fish with sauce. 4 serving
Dijon-Dill Sauce
2/3 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon salt
Heat all ingredients to boiling ovr medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Per Serving: Cal.140 Protien 21g Carbs.5g Fat 4g Chol.40mg Sodium530mg
:chef:Salsa Fish
1 pound cod,orange roughy or other medium-fat fish fillets(about 1/2 inch thick)
1 cut chopped tomato
1/2 cut chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
If fish fillets are large, cut into 4 serveing pieces. Spray 10 inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Arrange fish in single layer in skillet. Cook uncovered 4 to 6 minute, turning once, until fish flakes easly with
fork.Remove fish to warm platter; keep warm.
Cook remaining ingredients except wine in skillet over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until bell pepper and onion are crisp-tender. Stir in wine. Heat until hot. Spoon tomato mixture over fish. 4 serving.
Per Serving: Cal.150 protien 24g Carb.6g Fat 2g Chol.40mg Sodium 210mg
=====================================
:chef:Salmom with Cucumber Sauce
1/2 pound of salmon fillets
1 cup plain nonf-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 cup chopped seeded unpeeled cucumber
1 cup uncooked medium shell (conchiglie) or seashell macaroni
Place salmon fillets in 2-quart saucepan; add enough water to cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 6 to 8 minutes or until fich flakes easily with fork. Remove fish with slotted spatula;drain. Remove any skin. Flake fish into bite size pieses; keep warm.
Mix yogurt and flore in same 2 quart saucepan. Stir in dill weed and horseradish. Heat over low heat until hot (do not boil). Stir in cucumber and fish. Cook macaroni as directed on package; drain. Serve sauce over macaroni. Garnish with thinly silced cucumber if desired. 4 serving
Cal,225 Protein17g Carbs.29g Fat4g Chol.20mg Sodium310mg
======================================
:chef: Easy Fish and Vegetable Packets.
4 frozen lean fish fillets
1 package (16 ounces)frozen broccoli,cauliflower and carrots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoon dry white wine or chicken broth
Heat oven to 450. Place each frozen fish fillet on 12 inch square of aluminum foil. Top each fish fillet with one-fourth of the vegetables; sprinkle with dill weed,salt and pepper. Pour 1 tablespoon wine over each.Fold up sides of foil to make tent; fold top edgesover to seal. Fold in sides, making a packet;fold to seal. Place packets on cookie sheet.Bake about 40 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and fish fish flakes easily with fork. 4 serving
Per Serving: Cal.160 Protein 25g Carbs.7g Fat 2g Chol.40mg Sodium 380mg

flower 03-10-2003 02:51 PM

Punky-those sound good. I just had some yummy baked fish a few minutes ago. I am the only one in my house who will eat it. They don't know what they are missing!!!

mauvaisroux 04-27-2003 08:19 PM

EEEEEEP!!!! :fr:

I was watching the news this morning and they were discussing the latest health report issued by the World Health Organization.

They were saying that sugar intake affects obesity levels (no freakin' kidding!) and blood pressure.

They also said that there are 12 teaspoons of sugar in a 14oz soft drink (non-diet) :yikes: and 9 teaspoons of sugar in a chocolate milkshake! :p

They were also discussing hidden sugars that are in foods and juices-something a lot of doctors, dieticians and diet gurus have been talking about for years-:shrug:, guess it is official now.

ellis 04-27-2003 09:33 PM

Thanks, Punky... those look great! I'm going to try some of them...
:)