Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 08:58 AM   #46  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Good morning ladies,

Glad to hear that most of you have gotten your xmas shopping all done. I believe I have only 2 more gifts to buy and thats it!

Today is my dd bday. She's 9 today. We are having a bday party for her tomorrow afternoon. If all shows up who were invited, we will have 11 girls here.
Oh, is it to be expected that if one doesn't R.S.V.P. that they won't be coming to the party?

Well, I've pretty much threw my diet out the window this week. And it will probably go out the window next week too! I'm not beating myself up with trying to be stronge and avoiding the temptations. I just keep reminding myself that as of Jan 1st, things are going to change!

The weather is very mild here. We've gotten rain yesterday and it looks like we will be getting rain today too! Not sure if we will be getting a white xmas this year or not.

Well, I'm off to get some breakfast. Got alot of running around to do today!

Talk to you all later.
Kelly
Old 12-20-2002, 09:05 AM   #47  

Height: 5'-2"

Kelly, I hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday party! As for the RSVP... who knows! Some people (okay MANY people) have no social skills...

We're getting rain, too. It's going up to 7 degrees celsius today!! Yip yip!! Come on summer!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 10:59 AM   #48  

Kelly... my two cents worth... normally when somebody doesn't RSVP, I assume that they aren't coming. But with nine year olds, you might not hear back from everybody that's planning to show up. I would say either call the moms (if you can) and double check, or plan to have everybody show up, just in case. My mom was LOUSY about RSVPing for my stuff when I was little.

And speaking of etiquette - I have a question... I called my grandmother last week and asked her if there was anything that she needed that I could get her for Christmas because I was planning to go out shopping over the weekend. And she, of course, said "no, no, I'm just fine" and so I went and bought her a present, and then she called me LAST NIGHT and told me she'd thought of something.

So should I return my gift and get her what she asked for, or should I just tell her to stick it and enjoy the present I've already gotten her? Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 12-20-2002, 11:22 AM   #49  

Oh dear... I don't know WHAT to tell you, Tami! Do you like your grandmother? Because if she's a *****, I'd tell her to screw it. But if she's a sweet thing whom you love dearly, I guess I'd be inclined to give in to her wishes. What a nuisance!!
Old 12-20-2002, 12:53 PM   #50  

Kelly, I hope your DD has a great party and that you have a nice rest afterwards! When my DD had a birthday party last month we didn't hear from 2 of the 9 girls we invited. One of the moms said she didn't know if she was supposed to phone if they weren't coming, or phone if they were!!! Well, gee, it would have been nice to let me know, either way!

Oh Tami, that sounds frustrating with your grandmother's present. I guess for me it would depend on how easy it was for me to exchange it. I would probably just give her what you got, I'll bet you got her something she'll like, that she just hadn't thought of. Depends on how much time & energy you have too. Me, I'm pretty lazy. My dear mother used to give me BACK presents 6 months later, telling me she never used whatever - and she never told me what she wanted in the first place, even when I asked! Oh well...

Take it easy everyone! Boxing Day will be here in less than a week and we can all relax!

Lidian
Old 12-20-2002, 01:09 PM   #51  
a brave new me...

Angry YAY!

Its FINALLY snowing here in Wisconsin. Hopefully this stuff will stick through Christmas. This December and last December have been so strange... no snow and too many warm days. A few days ago it was actually raining.

Old 12-20-2002, 09:13 PM   #52  
Hot Stuff

Humbug.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:20 PM   #53  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Kelly-I have found that MOST people these days do not understand the meaning of RSVP. It sure makes it difficult to plan, doesn't it?

Tami-If it were anyone BUT your grandmother I'd say stick with what you have, but it is harder with grandmothers.....

Ellis-It may be warmer NOW, but we are getting COLDER, and you should be getting THAT in a few days. Don't celebrate too much!!!

Lidian-RELAX? WHAT IS THAT STRANGE WORD?????

HI!! To everyone else!!

(and HUMBUG too!!!)
Old 12-20-2002, 10:22 PM   #54  

Den, the way I like to RELAX is as follows:

I put a magazine over my face, after I have fed the girls a fabulous gourmet meal and lie down in a corner (after moving the cats, who are trained relaxation professionals) and pretend not to hear children arguing over how to play some Magic School Bus game on the computer. This usually lasts anywhere up to 30 seconds, until one of the following things happens:

1. A child will come right up near my head and say solemnly "Mom I'm sorry to bother you but something is wrong with the computer..."

2. A child will wail "She's being MEAN to me Mom!" Shouts, tears, recriminations to follow.

3. Cat starts meowing loudly, pawing my leg, unhappy with full bowl of dry food. Requests deluxe seafood menu. Unhappy with lack of response, runs to nearest upholstered item and continues with ongoing demolition project.

4. Phone rings, urgent telemarketer on the line wanting to know how I am doing and could I answer 25 really short questions.

5. Child is hungry (again, so soon? But why?). Or thirsty. Or bored.

6. Child has important philosophical/scientific question that must be resolved immediately. Such as how do light bulbs work? Why doesn't Ms Frizzle ever have to go to the washroom? (She is a cartoon character, dear, now go away...)

7. Child needs to know where small obscure toy/book/miscellaneous item is, right away. Right now. That she has not handled since last summer. But she really needs it now!

Issues 1 - 7 usually not resolved by mother continuing to hide under magazine (they know where I am, somehow!) and tension escalates. Request for help/arbitration/food/etc repeated in more urgent tones. At 60 second mark, relaxation break is over. Head reappears, hair in Bob Marleyesque arrangement, lemony expression on face.

Resume activities of day refreshed and renewed!

Lidian
Old 12-21-2002, 09:57 AM   #55  

You girls are killing me.

Den, I refuse to take your second-hand cold weather!! Keep the damned stuff to yourself!!

Listen, I had a dream about you last night. I bought you a jar of Marmite (I really did... it's in my kitchen), but in the dream it was in my bathroom. I went to brush my teeth, but instead of picking up the toothpaste, I accidentally grabbed the jar of Marmite and smeared it on my toothbrush. And brushed my teeth with it. BLAH!!! IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!
Old 12-21-2002, 11:23 AM   #56  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Would it work on Tit Zits?
Old 12-21-2002, 11:32 AM   #57  

oh my gosh... I never thought of that!
Hmmmm. Yeast extract... I dunno... might make it grow.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:16 PM   #58  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

You two are a scream!!! HEY!! A little "hair of the dog that bit you"...would Marmite work on yeast infections?!? You know, as much as I love Marmite I would NOT want to brush my teeth with it!!! (YUM!! Get that "just brushed feeling" with MARMITE!! Doesn't work!!)

I had a strange dream last night too. Bitter sweet. I was in my grandmother's house, and was looking for plates to use for our meal. My Grandmother was NOT there, and I knew she was gone. Couldn't find any plates, and the few things that were still there were mostly junk and/or broken. She died just over a year ago, and I still miss her. It was like it was nice to be in her house, but she was completely gone.

Well, she lived to be 1 month older than the Queen Mum, which I know would have pleased her!! When the Queen Mum turned 100 (a couple of months after my Grandmother!) my grandmother said, "I'm older than she is." in a VERY self-satisfied way!!
Old 12-21-2002, 10:24 PM   #59  

Oh Den... that's kind of sad, sweetie... you must really miss her.
But what a great life your grandmother had! hugs...

Marmite on a yeast infection? My gosh...it might work! As long as you didn't put the jar back on the kitchen shelf afterwards. Icky poo!!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:50 AM   #60  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Default I did it!

I made it through the stressful shopping season, have everything bought, paid for(well at least on Visa), and wrapped, and several already delivered.
I did not think I would make it this year and stress myself out to the max , but I always get through it. My New Years resloution, or rather promise to myself in the new year, is to start Xmas shopping very early on for family and friends and leave the kids til last as there lists change many times before they finally decide on one or two things. Hopefully my employement will be a little more steady and will not be counting pennies as often this year. However, I have learned to appreciate things much more.
Hope you are all pretty much over the stressing part of the season now, I have to clean my house and do some baking with my children, and make a few CHristmas ornaments while playing some Christmas tunes.
Big hugs to all
Love Virginia
Closed Thread