3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Roller Derby is my drug (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/220112-roller-derby-my-drug.html)

mamaspank 12-21-2010 12:45 AM

Roller Derby is my drug

So I have been gone a while and gained 16 pounds since I was last posting. And the only reason I hit 139 last July was because I had a horrific bout of pneumonia. Well, after a vacation and my torrid love affair with donuts and pizza, I am back.

Since last summer I have also turned my passion for photography into a business and sitting on my butt editing photos doesn't help either. Last October I decided to cross roller derby off my bucket list and just do it. I was ready to start four years ago, and found out I was knocked up. Best thing that ever happened to me, but I had to put derby on the back burner.

You know what is intimidating? Showing up alone to your first fresh meat practice. I am pretty sure I can drop this extra weight in little to no time at all, as long as I watch what I eat and work out a few days a week besides practice days. Maybe even keep track of my points again (WW).

Is it possible to end January 2011 with a ten-pound weight loss, flourishing career, and make the derby team? I think it might be.

evilwomaniamshe 12-21-2010 08:10 AM

Hey 'spank that mama'- ;) welcome back chicky! Roller derby that looks so Fun, I so would come out & play if we had that in my neck of the woods, but unfortunately we do not, I'm jealous... Have Fun! Mamaspank will transform herself again into spank that mama soonish! Go girl. ~ Wendalyn

Hope 2010 12-21-2010 09:17 AM

Yay Roller Derby!!! Best sport ever- good luck making the team.

NHDerby 12-21-2010 11:55 AM

Hey mamaspank -
Roller derby - yes! I've had my gear since July but am waiting for fresh meat practices to start. I can't wait to get started, but I am nervous about showing up my first time.

When did you start? How has it been going? I'd love to hear all about it. Any advice?

Thanks.

Sigrid 01-03-2011 02:44 AM

You can do it!

I tested into Fresh Meat some time in August, tested up to Rookie in October, and now I'm learning and practicing, practicing, practicing to make Rollergirl. I hope to test up to Rollergirl by the end of our season in May. But I gotta lose some weight and get into better shape. I don't have a lot of endurance and you have to make at least 25 laps in 5 minutes to make Rollergirl, and I'm only at 23 right now (maybe I need better wheels, right ;) )

Best of luck for your assessments! I'm sure you'll do great!

mauvaisroux 01-03-2011 05:19 PM

I'm currently toying with the idea of becoming a derby referee. Skating seems like a good way to get into shape. :)

princesspuffypants 01-10-2011 05:17 AM

OMG ref's have it so much harder it seems. at least in my league. they have to do everything that we do in fresh meat, along with more laps in the same amount of time 7 in 1 and 30 in 5 i think. they had us do it at practice the other day and i know it was a lot.

at any rate, for those of you doing derby, what league are you with? im fresh meat with Angel City Derby Girls in Los Angeles.

Also, is anyone doing the roller derby workout challenge?

leimel 01-10-2011 11:33 PM

I so wish I could join Derby! Serious question for all you Derby girls, just how at risk are your hands for injuries?? My hands are kinda my work, since I'm a jeweler and all, and I can't risk doing anything that would put me out of work. I love watching Derby, and I totally agree that skating would seriously knock the weight off, but how dangerous is it really?

princesspuffypants 01-14-2011 06:32 AM

well thats what all the protective gear is for. but broken fingers arent uncommon. we learn how to get up without putting our hands on the ground, but its possible to have your hand rolled over and a finer broken. i would just invest in good glove type wrist guards.

mamaspank 01-18-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe (Post 3615285)
Hey 'spank that mama'- ;) welcome back chicky! Roller derby that looks so Fun, I so would come out & play if we had that in my neck of the woods, but unfortunately we do not, I'm jealous... Have Fun! Mamaspank will transform herself again into spank that mama soonish! Go girl. ~ Wendalyn

Thanks, Wendalyn! You ought to try to catch a bout somewhere sometime. Derby is the hardest thing I have ever done. I have always considered myself and athlete and I can honestly say that I have never sucked so bad at anything ever. I have been doing this since October and can't believe how much I have learned. Especially about myself and my body.

mamaspank 01-18-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHDerby (Post 3615610)
Hey mamaspank -
Roller derby - yes! I've had my gear since July but am waiting for fresh meat practices to start. I can't wait to get started, but I am nervous about showing up my first time.

When did you start? How has it been going? I'd love to hear all about it. Any advice?

Thanks.

I started in October. That first practice was so intimidating. I went alone -- a lot of people bring a friend for their first time, even if they are just going to watch. I am not going to lie, my team is pretty elitist. Not the friendliest bunch. It took a little while to make friends, but now I am in like Flint. I am now the official photographer for the men's league and will be taking my skills test in March.

I twisted my knee in practice on Sunday, but after icing it and painkillers, I am going to skate Wednesday no matter what. You have to be able to devote quite a bit of time. Actually, a lot. I practice twice a week for a couple hours each time. The time I put in on my own though is about another four to six hours a week. I like to skate with the men's team and also skate at the local skating rink just to free skate and work on all my extra stuff that you don't really need to know for skills. Our team has some pretty flashy skaters, and those tricks come in handy during bouts.

My advice would be to just go for it. Don't let them scare you off. You have got to work your tail off. I would say I am having the toughest time building my endurance. I burn so many calories and am having a helluva time losing weight because I eat so freakin' much after practice. You really have to up your protein and try to make sure you are snacking with stuff like fruit and vegis and greek yogurt. My issue is I know I have burnt 2000 calories after a practice and promptly go and make up for it the rest of the day. You can do it. Don't let those beautiful skates go to waste. Go be aggressive and fierce.

mamaspank 01-18-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigrid (Post 3629850)
You can do it!

I tested into Fresh Meat some time in August, tested up to Rookie in October, and now I'm learning and practicing, practicing, practicing to make Rollergirl. I hope to test up to Rollergirl by the end of our season in May. But I gotta lose some weight and get into better shape. I don't have a lot of endurance and you have to make at least 25 laps in 5 minutes to make Rollergirl, and I'm only at 23 right now (maybe I need better wheels, right ;) )

Best of luck for your assessments! I'm sure you'll do great!

You are so close to your laps. You will have that in no time. Good luck to you too!

mamaspank 01-18-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauvaisroux (Post 3631201)
I'm currently toying with the idea of becoming a derby referee. Skating seems like a good way to get into shape. :)

It's a fabulous way to get into shape, make a ton of friends and empower yourself. I will say one thing, my body has never looked so different. I don't know if it is a good thing either. I am just a lot more solid, less svelte.

mamaspank 01-18-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leimel (Post 3646214)
I so wish I could join Derby! Serious question for all you Derby girls, just how at risk are your hands for injuries?? My hands are kinda my work, since I'm a jeweler and all, and I can't risk doing anything that would put me out of work. I love watching Derby, and I totally agree that skating would seriously knock the weight off, but how dangerous is it really?

I was a court reporter for years. Honestly, it can be pretty dangerous. It is the most dangerous thing I have ever done, and I played the gamut of sports in high school. You do have protective gear, but nothing for your chin, collarbone, shoulders, hips, ankles, back. I have seen some insane injuries. Luckily, you wear a nice little wrist guard, and I have found that to be the most important protection, aside from knee pads, that I use the most. So, yes, very dangerous. I don't want to dissuade you because it is life-changing and I am in love with it.

mamaspank 01-18-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princesspuffypants (Post 3643979)
OMG ref's have it so much harder it seems. at least in my league. they have to do everything that we do in fresh meat, along with more laps in the same amount of time 7 in 1 and 30 in 5 i think. they had us do it at practice the other day and i know it was a lot.

at any rate, for those of you doing derby, what league are you with? im fresh meat with Angel City Derby Girls in Los Angeles.

Also, is anyone doing the roller derby workout challenge?

I am fresh meat with Treasure Valley Rollergirls in Boise, Idaho. When is your skills assessment?

Call Me Stephanie 01-20-2011 12:58 AM

Good luck! Roller Derby looks much too fun. I'm terrible at skating though since we don't have rinks around here and... I dunno, I just really suck. I used to try practicing on empty roads but alas. Oh well. Good luck for you though! haha

iamnotrockabilly 01-21-2011 04:58 PM

Derby is rad. I skated Renegade style for the past couple seasons but ended up taking some time off due to a shoulder injury. During the break I also decided to try my hand at some WFTDA teams so now I am just getting back into shape for that whole ordeal.

Anyways, congrats on sticking with it. I've seen sooooooo many gals start and get all psyched for like 2 practices then are gone.

Oh yeah. Try some plyometrics. In my opinion, those type of workouts work wonders on endurance.

bananapancakes 01-23-2011 01:45 AM

Audra, I think it's bloody brilliant that you had the big brass balls to give roller derby a whirl and awesome that it's a regular thing in your life, I was going to say that it's a great healthy hobby but with all the possible injuries, I'm not sure sure- ha! Your photography speaks for itself, you should share a few pictures on here, I'm sure everyone would love to see them (people, this woman has talent!). Anyway, glad to see you're getting back on the wagon, I'm just hopping back on myself after another round of self sabotage. It seems like a never ending battle. Btw, have you considered taking some healthy snacks/food with you in a wee cooler for after your skate sessions for when you're ridiculously hungry or does everyone meet up and go out after to a bar/restaurant?

mamaspank 02-09-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Call Me Stephanie (Post 3664096)
Good luck! Roller Derby looks much too fun. I'm terrible at skating though since we don't have rinks around here and... I dunno, I just really suck. I used to try practicing on empty roads but alas. Oh well. Good luck for you though! haha

Thank you. It is a lot of fun. I was terrible at first too. No rinks necessary. Just need some pretty smooth concrete or a gym floor, and you can skate anywhere.

mamaspank 02-09-2011 03:06 AM

Iamnotrockabilly,

Thank you! What is "Renegade style"? Is it a non WFTDA team? If so, that sounds like fun. Our team is in the process of going through the WFTDA steps to get registered. Yes. Our team has some pretty mean girls that make it hard to want to keep going. Thick skin is required. Well, good luck to you. I just had practice tonight. Very frustrating tonight.

mamaspank 02-09-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananapancakes (Post 3669859)
Audra, I think it's bloody brilliant that you had the big brass balls to give roller derby a whirl and awesome that it's a regular thing in your life, I was going to say that it's a great healthy hobby but with all the possible injuries, I'm not sure sure- ha! Your photography speaks for itself, you should share a few pictures on here, I'm sure everyone would love to see them (people, this woman has talent!). Anyway, glad to see you're getting back on the wagon, I'm just hopping back on myself after another round of self sabotage. It seems like a never ending battle. Btw, have you considered taking some healthy snacks/food with you in a wee cooler for after your skate sessions for when you're ridiculously hungry or does everyone meet up and go out after to a bar/restaurant?

I am the healthiest and not healthiest I have ever been. I am pretty sure I have a fractured wrist and have had a nasty knee injury for the past month. I just want to make draft. There is no way I am taking time off now. I have been doing this since October and this is the first draft they have offered.

I had such a horrific practice tonight. Crying, the whole bit. A few of the girls are so effing mean. Just nag and nag and nag. I had had it. I wasn't shy about it either. I have never felt like anything killed my spirit like tonight. Derby attracts some very cool girls, but it can also attract some very elitist type personalities.

On the lighter side, I have lost ten pounds without really trying because I burn about 2000 to 3000 calories every practice. I have about 10 to 15 more I could lose, but I am starting to get a butt!!!! So it is harder to eat healthier because the girls do like to hit up places that serve very tasty bar food. I just try to wait until I get home. Doesn't work every time! Even when I bring snacks. I just get this mentality that I deserve it dammit. What's it going to hurt if I have 23 big fat beer battered onion rings that probably don't even have onions in them?

Photography has really taken a back burner since I started. With the improvement in the weather though, business is picking back up. Being the men's derby photographer helps keep me clicking away.

What made you fall off the wagon? You look great -- I bet it will quickly melt off again. You are so sweet. Thank you for all the kind words tonight. I really needed it. Derby was tough on me tonight. I love your posts because they just are so lovely and really show how much you love animals. I don't think I could do what you do. I would have a nervous breakdown. Well, we will have to send each other little messages about weight flucuations. Maybe that will help. I got below 150 last weekend. And rewarded myself with a donut. HAHAHA! The new plan is five pounds in the next month. You?

Phae 03-08-2011 08:05 PM

Oh wow, I want to try derby so bad! I am saving up to buy a fresh meat kit. I haven't skated in years, but I really want to pick it back up. I love the thrill and adrenaline of derby (or at least what I've seen of it!). I think it would be so much fun!

StarryEyes86 03-19-2011 11:16 AM

Hey mamaspank!

I'm with the San Diego Derby Dolls. I'm still a bootcamper but I'm almost out! I'm sorry you're having a rough time with some of the elitist personalities. Just keep your chin up and just keep swimming. I've recently decided to not use derby to get into shape. I've recently discovered this saying from our announcer, "Don't play to get fit. Get fit to play." That really stuck out to me and since then, I've become a much stronger derby player because I'm training on the side. I also skate every day in one way or another. I love skating and I love derby! I'm thrilled that there are other derby girls on here!

princesspuffypants 04-04-2011 04:57 PM

hey Mamaspank

we had assessments a few weeks ago. my laps werent high enough and i was really sick so i didnt even go. i was bummed about it. but im back in fresh meat and doing better than ever. i just got a new skate setup. the 126 boot and the Suregrip DA45 invader plate short forward mounted. i love it.

i wouldnt worry about the attitudes in derby. a lot of it is because there is a high turnover. people think its like the movie and come try it out and its not for them, and its like a breakup when people leave sometimes. its hard to get close to people that are just going to bail. so they put up a wall and its gonna take a while to get through. or they are just jerks and you can take it out on the track. either way. lol.

i LOVE my league. they are the most amazingly supportive girls in the whole world. i wouldnt skate with anyone else.

is anyone doing the derbalife challenge?

jacinda79 04-20-2011 08:55 AM

Roller derby is awesome! I've been playing for about a year now. Well... Off and on, I guess. I passed WFTDA evals in September last year, but then some life stuff happened and I had to walk away. When I decided to go back in early March, I went back to a different team and am amazingly happy with them. :)

Now I'm working on getting a team started in my own city... I currently drive about half an hour to get to practices.

My derby name is Nikki Trixx (you should go like me on facebook - teehee!) and I'm currently skating with the Barry County Black Heart Maidens. :cool: The team I'm trying to get started is in Battle Creek (where Kellogg's lives... you know, the cereal stuff?). We're thinking "Cereal Killers" for a name. LOL

So, skaters... What's your favorite position?

ArsenicAlyss 05-23-2011 04:34 PM

Way to go sista! Yer gonna do great! I have been fresh meat with the Ventura County Derby Darlins (California) since October 2010, and I'm taking basic skills for the second time tomorrow...so fingers crossed hehe : )

My screen name is also my derby name, Arsenic Alyss.

Fave position? Hmmm...I pretty much like doing everything except pivoting. I am a sucky pivot since I'm not quite up to snuff on strategy yet. But I love blocking, and I hope I'll be fast enough to be a jammer someday...

TechnicolourTeacup 07-08-2011 12:51 PM

I would love to try rollerderby, the nearest team to me are an almost two hour drive away from me though, which I can't really afford to drive twice a week :\

This thread has inspired me though, maybe I can find some more people nearby who want to start something up!

msdarkmetal 07-20-2011 05:44 AM

Congrats on getting on a derby team. I hope elitist type personalities aren't as bothersome anymore. Rollerderby is something that has always looked so fun, but I'm way to timid to do something like that. Plus I don't even know how to get started.

nikkinouille 07-20-2011 09:32 AM

I thought about getting into roller derby, as well. They have a league around here. My big concern is the cost. Is it expensive to get into? I am 23 & on my own. I have a bf but I am independent. I pay all my bills & don't have a whole lot of extra money to spare. So if it's costly, it ain't gonna happen :(

zRACHELz 11-07-2011 08:14 AM

Roller derby is great exercise. i had been skating since 2007 but recently started working third shift and can no longer practice. Ive found that it really helped my depression...i can tell a big difference now that i'm not skating. It was a great mental and physical work out.. although i didnt lose any weight, i know i gained muscle and a lot of endurance.

zRACHELz 11-07-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkinouille (Post 3946343)
I thought about getting into roller derby, as well. They have a league around here. My big concern is the cost. Is it expensive to get into? I am 23 & on my own. I have a bf but I am independent. I pay all my bills & don't have a whole lot of extra money to spare. So if it's costly, it ain't gonna happen :(

it is a tad pricey.. most leagues charge monthly dues. mine were $30 a month, plus $75 insurance (once a year), and all of your equipment...but its so much fun!

darlingbrit 11-19-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArsenicAlyss (Post 3861624)
Way to go sista! Yer gonna do great! I have been fresh meat with the Ventura County Derby Darlins (California) since October 2010, and I'm taking basic skills for the second time tomorrow...so fingers crossed hehe : )

My screen name is also my derby name, Arsenic Alyss.

Fave position? Hmmm...I pretty much like doing everything except pivoting. I am a sucky pivot since I'm not quite up to snuff on strategy yet. But I love blocking, and I hope I'll be fast enough to be a jammer someday...

Hey, I live in ventura county too! I want to be part of the local derby team but I don't know how to skate! any suggestions to get me started so maybe I can try out next year? :]

DrSchlock 12-04-2011 11:18 AM

I am an ex-roller girl! It's so wonderful to have a place to chat with others about what sn amazing experience roller derby is. I stopped about 2 years ago bit played on The Rushin' Rollettes for 3 seasons. (Milwaukee's Brewcity Bruisers). I went by Ivanna Smackdavitch at the time.

I am hoping that by losing weight I will have less joint pain and can return to derby. I have never worked out harder than when I was in derby. I hate that I don't play anymore and want to physically be able to again.

Good luck everyone in your training. It is such an amazing sport with so many wonderful women.

aware210 12-07-2011 01:06 PM

I want to do roller derby next year! In fact i think i may put on my skates tomorrow morning and go workout a bit!

Amaranth 01-02-2012 05:08 AM

YES!!! I am really excited to see a roller derby thread here!

I too am completely addicted to roller derby. My team actually had a holiday break for two weeks where we didnt *have* to go to practice, and I still opted to go! Crazy! Old me never would have even considered it :P

Im so excited for you girls talking about fresh meat. Roller derby will be the best thing to ever happen to you, I promise! The intensity of it can be daunting at first, but dont let it scare you off! Roller girls are (usually) the nicest, most supportive females around, and they all want you to succeed as much as you do!

Breasaurus 01-07-2012 01:10 AM

YAY for derby girls! I've been with my team since May 2011 and it has been one of the most rewarding/frustrating experiences of my life lol. I'm a tank/blocker and absolutely adore my team.

@Amaranth - we had a 2 week break too, and i skated as much as possible anyway! Now we're holding a boot camp for new girls & its kicking my butt right along with theirs - and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Amaranth 01-07-2012 03:55 PM

I think one of the most rewarding aspects of roller derby is now I WANT to commit to working out. I WANT to be a valued member of team. There are moments when I see my teammates and just feel really, really bad for the opposing team, and I want to be one of them.

It helps that even when you are having fun/suffering, you are building up riDICulous amounts of endurance. Its amazing what you can push your body to do.

Also, roller derby gives you a great ***. "Derby Booty" is an expression for a reason ;)

Breasaurus 01-10-2012 09:49 AM

Amen sister! We have our fresh meat bootcamp going on right now and those are some of the EXACT reasons I gave the newer girls for sticking with it.

hyper_piper 02-19-2012 10:31 AM

Thanks for posting this! I'm a HUGE roller derby fan (albeit too out-of-shape and got too messed up of knee stabilizers to pull off being a rollergirl). This made me think of a great inspiration for me, seeing roller derby. I think I'm going to try to catch Assassination City's (shout out to DFW derby!) opener to remind me why I want to get fit!!

SuperRad 04-24-2012 06:42 AM

AAHHH!! You have no idea how happy I am I just found this thread. I've been struggling with the whole big girl/roller derby thing for a few months now, but have finally decided to just do it! I'm a volunteer with LADD (I do their makeup) and have been to a few practices with the new SFV Roller Derby league. I feel like a tool when I can't keep up with the other girls, but I suppose it's all in due time. Any tips? My legs are currently jello from a league workout tonight.

Seriously... I'm so friggin' excited to talk with other girls, into derby and on the plus side of the world. *insert happy dance here*