Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 202/192/140

Height: 5'5

Talking

Hey everyone! I'm so psyched to have found this thread, if not relieved! lol I have not so many people to talk derby to & dealing with the same derby issues...I wish there was a place that held adult skate lessons in my area. I'm having to teach myself and having a hard time finding a good place to practice..I'm too shy to go practice at a rink in my gear lol. I went to a practice once but don't wanna show up again until I can skate.. I shall totally hit up the park today.
Miss LunaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #47  

So, with this many derby girls in one place, which skates should I buy? I've been thinking about trying derby for sometime now, but I don't want to show up completely unable to balance on my skates, KWIM?
tnc0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #48  
Raw Ramp

S/C/G: 205/164/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnc0712 View Post
So, with this many derby girls in one place, which skates should I buy? I've been thinking about trying derby for sometime now, but I don't want to show up completely unable to balance on my skates, KWIM?
I went to a rink and rented their skates the first couple of times to make sure I wanted to do it. Then, I found a good shop that was just for roller derby. They had some great advice and let me try on (and skate around the store) in their skates. A good shop will let you skate in them and will tell you what to look for in the fit. Everyone's feet are different, but I'd recommend getting a complete package to start with. Buying the wheels, boots, plates and bearings individually is way more expensive, and when you're just starting out, you don't need very fancy skates anyways. You'll want to get wrist guards too! That's the most common injury when you're just starting out and learning to fall down.

Also make sure that they tighten the wheels so they're not so loose at first. For example, if you hold the skate and spin the wheel with your hand and it keeps spinning for a long time, it's pretty loose. If you ask them to tighten it, the wheel won't spin for more than 4-5 seconds. That makes it easier to learn how to skate at first, without falling on your butt every minute.

Anyways, here's a link to the skates I bought: Sure-grip skates

Good luck, let us know how you're doing!
redvelouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #49  

My problem is, our closest skate shop is 3 hours away, at least. But you do have a point. Why order expensive skates if I'm not certain I wanna do it. Thanks for the pointers!
tnc0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 216/184/137

Height: 5'1"

The Riedell Dart and the Rock Flames are great beginner packages. As far as gear goes, I've been super happy with my Triple 8 knee, elbow and wrist guards.

Don't be shy about going to the rink in your gear. For one, you'll skate MUCH more confidently. Two, they are totally used to seeing skaters who skate for sport in whatever gear is required. Three, you'll look adorably derby! I always wear my cute socks, fun tights, skort and team T when I go to public skate sessions.
sessa555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 260/255/160

Height: 5'0"

Hey all!! Fresh meat from Florida here. Glad I found this thread! There's a recruitment on Monday for a team by me. I'm suuuuuper excited!! I used to own a pair of sure grips (stolen) so now I'm getting riedell vandals 265 with the wicked upgrade. I'm dedicating myself 10000000000% to this. I'm using derby as my exercise. 2 practices a week, plus I'll be doing my own skating whenever I can.
Medanalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 216/184/137

Height: 5'1"

My skates are Reidell Vixens and I LOVE them. I have Flat-Out rollers - 88's in yellow - and just ordered China Red bearings (my laces and toe stops are red, as is the stitching on my Triple 8 gear and my helmet, so I'm going with the theme lol!). I have an insanely wide foot, and the Vixens do not have a metal or plastic strip on the side so I can make them work.

I am currently skating 4-5 days a week to try and pass my MSR's by February for our bout that month. I figured that with all the hardcore derby workouts I would drop weight like crazy, but I have not lost much at all. I have, however, dropped a size and a half and my body just looks and feels different in a good way!
sessa555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Am I too old to Derby? I'm 33. :-/
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa M. View Post
Am I too old to Derby? I'm 33. :-/
Definitely not!!!!! I play with many many girls that age and older (some nearly 50).

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
I cannot express how excited I am this forum exists. It's encouraging to see a bunch of unique and intelligent ladies come together to talk about getting healthy (and at that have a specific thread about roller derby??!). Finding this community right as I'm joining the team is serendipitous, for sure.

I just started roller derby last week and I think it is going to be the most positive decision I've made in a good while. Great way to let out your frustration and aggression but still get those endorphins kickin'. And it gives me a reason to be kind and respectful to my body. I don't really know what the heck I'm doing but the derby chicks are super motivating and helpful.

Anyway, hello, and I'm glad I found y'all.
Congrats on making the jump to join! I didn't see there was a thread about derby but I'm glad to see it. I'm just starting my 3rd bouting season - joining was definitely one of the best decisions I've made. Now I'm looking forward to not just literally throwing my weight around on the track and becoming a proper powerhouse.

Last edited by dehtripper; 04-30-2013 at 07:34 AM.
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #55  

Height: 5'2

I play for Penn Jersey Roller Derby in Philly. Banked track, co-ed. I LOVE it.

I use the Reidell R3's. They're decent beginner skates that run around 120. Roller Girl Skates has a great sizing guide on their website. My helmet is Triple 8, elbow and wrist guards a cheapies, and my knee pads are Protech.

The thing I REALLY want are new wheels, but they're expensive and I don't know exactly what I want.

As for skating at a rink, I now wear my kneepads religiously when I skate. Falling on your knees hurts a lot. If I'm just at an open skate I don't worry about any of my other gear, because I'm not blocking or racing. The knee pads are just in case I take an unexpected spill.

Derby is also my main form of exercise. We have practices 2-5 times a week, one of which is an open to the public derby workout that does work on and off skates.
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #56  
Against all odds

S/C/G: 340/331/170

Height: 5'8"

well, this is my attempt to bring back this Thread!

What do you guys do for Cross training? I finally joined a banked track league, but then it closed. Now I skate with SFVRD, Or San Fernando Roller Derby In sunny California! My Name is Liba Raunchie! What's yours?
I really want to get back on track with my weight loss but it has been proving difficult.
darlingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote