Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #16  
Set and determined...

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'6"

Good luck! Roller Derby looks much too fun. I'm terrible at skating though since we don't have rinks around here and... I dunno, I just really suck. I used to try practicing on empty roads but alas. Oh well. Good luck for you though! haha
Call Me Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 190/165/135

Height: 5'2.5"

Derby is rad. I skated Renegade style for the past couple seasons but ended up taking some time off due to a shoulder injury. During the break I also decided to try my hand at some WFTDA teams so now I am just getting back into shape for that whole ordeal.

Anyways, congrats on sticking with it. I've seen sooooooo many gals start and get all psyched for like 2 practices then are gone.

Oh yeah. Try some plyometrics. In my opinion, those type of workouts work wonders on endurance.
iamnotrockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #18  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Audra, I think it's bloody brilliant that you had the big brass balls to give roller derby a whirl and awesome that it's a regular thing in your life, I was going to say that it's a great healthy hobby but with all the possible injuries, I'm not sure sure- ha! Your photography speaks for itself, you should share a few pictures on here, I'm sure everyone would love to see them (people, this woman has talent!). Anyway, glad to see you're getting back on the wagon, I'm just hopping back on myself after another round of self sabotage. It seems like a never ending battle. Btw, have you considered taking some healthy snacks/food with you in a wee cooler for after your skate sessions for when you're ridiculously hungry or does everyone meet up and go out after to a bar/restaurant?
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Stephanie View Post
Good luck! Roller Derby looks much too fun. I'm terrible at skating though since we don't have rinks around here and... I dunno, I just really suck. I used to try practicing on empty roads but alas. Oh well. Good luck for you though! haha
Thank you. It is a lot of fun. I was terrible at first too. No rinks necessary. Just need some pretty smooth concrete or a gym floor, and you can skate anywhere.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #20  

Iamnotrockabilly,

Thank you! What is "Renegade style"? Is it a non WFTDA team? If so, that sounds like fun. Our team is in the process of going through the WFTDA steps to get registered. Yes. Our team has some pretty mean girls that make it hard to want to keep going. Thick skin is required. Well, good luck to you. I just had practice tonight. Very frustrating tonight.

Last edited by mamaspank; 02-09-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapancakes View Post
Audra, I think it's bloody brilliant that you had the big brass balls to give roller derby a whirl and awesome that it's a regular thing in your life, I was going to say that it's a great healthy hobby but with all the possible injuries, I'm not sure sure- ha! Your photography speaks for itself, you should share a few pictures on here, I'm sure everyone would love to see them (people, this woman has talent!). Anyway, glad to see you're getting back on the wagon, I'm just hopping back on myself after another round of self sabotage. It seems like a never ending battle. Btw, have you considered taking some healthy snacks/food with you in a wee cooler for after your skate sessions for when you're ridiculously hungry or does everyone meet up and go out after to a bar/restaurant?
I am the healthiest and not healthiest I have ever been. I am pretty sure I have a fractured wrist and have had a nasty knee injury for the past month. I just want to make draft. There is no way I am taking time off now. I have been doing this since October and this is the first draft they have offered.

I had such a horrific practice tonight. Crying, the whole bit. A few of the girls are so effing mean. Just nag and nag and nag. I had had it. I wasn't shy about it either. I have never felt like anything killed my spirit like tonight. Derby attracts some very cool girls, but it can also attract some very elitist type personalities.

On the lighter side, I have lost ten pounds without really trying because I burn about 2000 to 3000 calories every practice. I have about 10 to 15 more I could lose, but I am starting to get a butt!!!! So it is harder to eat healthier because the girls do like to hit up places that serve very tasty bar food. I just try to wait until I get home. Doesn't work every time! Even when I bring snacks. I just get this mentality that I deserve it dammit. What's it going to hurt if I have 23 big fat beer battered onion rings that probably don't even have onions in them?

Photography has really taken a back burner since I started. With the improvement in the weather though, business is picking back up. Being the men's derby photographer helps keep me clicking away.

What made you fall off the wagon? You look great -- I bet it will quickly melt off again. You are so sweet. Thank you for all the kind words tonight. I really needed it. Derby was tough on me tonight. I love your posts because they just are so lovely and really show how much you love animals. I don't think I could do what you do. I would have a nervous breakdown. Well, we will have to send each other little messages about weight flucuations. Maybe that will help. I got below 150 last weekend. And rewarded myself with a donut. HAHAHA! The new plan is five pounds in the next month. You?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #22  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

Oh wow, I want to try derby so bad! I am saving up to buy a fresh meat kit. I haven't skated in years, but I really want to pick it back up. I love the thrill and adrenaline of derby (or at least what I've seen of it!). I think it would be so much fun!
Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #23  
Just for today

S/C/G: 328.8/301.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey mamaspank!

I'm with the San Diego Derby Dolls. I'm still a bootcamper but I'm almost out! I'm sorry you're having a rough time with some of the elitist personalities. Just keep your chin up and just keep swimming. I've recently decided to not use derby to get into shape. I've recently discovered this saying from our announcer, "Don't play to get fit. Get fit to play." That really stuck out to me and since then, I've become a much stronger derby player because I'm training on the side. I also skate every day in one way or another. I love skating and I love derby! I'm thrilled that there are other derby girls on here!
StarryEyes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #24  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

hey Mamaspank

we had assessments a few weeks ago. my laps werent high enough and i was really sick so i didnt even go. i was bummed about it. but im back in fresh meat and doing better than ever. i just got a new skate setup. the 126 boot and the Suregrip DA45 invader plate short forward mounted. i love it.

i wouldnt worry about the attitudes in derby. a lot of it is because there is a high turnover. people think its like the movie and come try it out and its not for them, and its like a breakup when people leave sometimes. its hard to get close to people that are just going to bail. so they put up a wall and its gonna take a while to get through. or they are just jerks and you can take it out on the track. either way. lol.

i LOVE my league. they are the most amazingly supportive girls in the whole world. i wouldnt skate with anyone else.

is anyone doing the derbalife challenge?
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'4"

Roller derby is awesome! I've been playing for about a year now. Well... Off and on, I guess. I passed WFTDA evals in September last year, but then some life stuff happened and I had to walk away. When I decided to go back in early March, I went back to a different team and am amazingly happy with them.

Now I'm working on getting a team started in my own city... I currently drive about half an hour to get to practices.

My derby name is Nikki Trixx (you should go like me on facebook - teehee!) and I'm currently skating with the Barry County Black Heart Maidens. The team I'm trying to get started is in Battle Creek (where Kellogg's lives... you know, the cereal stuff?). We're thinking "Cereal Killers" for a name. LOL

So, skaters... What's your favorite position?
jacinda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 212/200/150

Height: 5'2"

Way to go sista! Yer gonna do great! I have been fresh meat with the Ventura County Derby Darlins (California) since October 2010, and I'm taking basic skills for the second time tomorrow...so fingers crossed hehe : )

My screen name is also my derby name, Arsenic Alyss.

Fave position? Hmmm...I pretty much like doing everything except pivoting. I am a sucky pivot since I'm not quite up to snuff on strategy yet. But I love blocking, and I hope I'll be fast enough to be a jammer someday...
ArsenicAlyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #27  

I would love to try rollerderby, the nearest team to me are an almost two hour drive away from me though, which I can't really afford to drive twice a week :\

This thread has inspired me though, maybe I can find some more people nearby who want to start something up!
TechnicolourTeacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 263/263/160

Height: 5'2

Congrats on getting on a derby team. I hope elitist type personalities aren't as bothersome anymore. Rollerderby is something that has always looked so fun, but I'm way to timid to do something like that. Plus I don't even know how to get started.
msdarkmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

I thought about getting into roller derby, as well. They have a league around here. My big concern is the cost. Is it expensive to get into? I am 23 & on my own. I have a bf but I am independent. I pay all my bills & don't have a whole lot of extra money to spare. So if it's costly, it ain't gonna happen
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #30  

Roller derby is great exercise. i had been skating since 2007 but recently started working third shift and can no longer practice. Ive found that it really helped my depression...i can tell a big difference now that i'm not skating. It was a great mental and physical work out.. although i didnt lose any weight, i know i gained muscle and a lot of endurance.
zRACHELz is offline   Reply With Quote