Roller Derby is my drug

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: I thought about getting into roller derby, as well. They have a league around here. My big concern is the cost. Is it expensive to get into? I am 23 & on my own. I have a bf but I am independent. I pay all my bills & don't have a whole lot of extra money to spare. So if it's costly, it ain't gonna happen
    it is a tad pricey.. most leagues charge monthly dues. mine were $30 a month, plus $75 insurance (once a year), and all of your equipment...but its so much fun!
  • Quote: Way to go sista! Yer gonna do great! I have been fresh meat with the Ventura County Derby Darlins (California) since October 2010, and I'm taking basic skills for the second time tomorrow...so fingers crossed hehe : )

My screen name is also my derby name, Arsenic Alyss.

Fave position? Hmmm...I pretty much like doing everything except pivoting. I am a sucky pivot since I'm not quite up to snuff on strategy yet. But I love blocking, and I hope I'll be fast enough to be a jammer someday...
    Hey, I live in ventura county too! I want to be part of the local derby team but I don't know how to skate! any suggestions to get me started so maybe I can try out next year? :]
  • I am an ex-roller girl! It's so wonderful to have a place to chat with others about what sn amazing experience roller derby is. I stopped about 2 years ago bit played on The Rushin' Rollettes for 3 seasons. (Milwaukee's Brewcity Bruisers). I went by Ivanna Smackdavitch at the time.

I am hoping that by losing weight I will have less joint pain and can return to derby. I have never worked out harder than when I was in derby. I hate that I don't play anymore and want to physically be able to again.

Good luck everyone in your training. It is such an amazing sport with so many wonderful women.
  • I want to do roller derby next year! In fact i think i may put on my skates tomorrow morning and go workout a bit!
  • YES!!! I am really excited to see a roller derby thread here!

I too am completely addicted to roller derby. My team actually had a holiday break for two weeks where we didnt *have* to go to practice, and I still opted to go! Crazy! Old me never would have even considered it :P

Im so excited for you girls talking about fresh meat. Roller derby will be the best thing to ever happen to you, I promise! The intensity of it can be daunting at first, but dont let it scare you off! Roller girls are (usually) the nicest, most supportive females around, and they all want you to succeed as much as you do!
  • YAY for derby girls! I've been with my team since May 2011 and it has been one of the most rewarding/frustrating experiences of my life lol. I'm a tank/blocker and absolutely adore my team.

@Amaranth - we had a 2 week break too, and i skated as much as possible anyway! Now we're holding a boot camp for new girls & its kicking my butt right along with theirs - and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
  • I think one of the most rewarding aspects of roller derby is now I WANT to commit to working out. I WANT to be a valued member of team. There are moments when I see my teammates and just feel really, really bad for the opposing team, and I want to be one of them.

It helps that even when you are having fun/suffering, you are building up riDICulous amounts of endurance. Its amazing what you can push your body to do.

Also, roller derby gives you a great ***. "Derby Booty" is an expression for a reason
  • Amen sister! We have our fresh meat bootcamp going on right now and those are some of the EXACT reasons I gave the newer girls for sticking with it.
  • Thanks for posting this! I'm a HUGE roller derby fan (albeit too out-of-shape and got too messed up of knee stabilizers to pull off being a rollergirl). This made me think of a great inspiration for me, seeing roller derby. I think I'm going to try to catch Assassination City's (shout out to DFW derby!) opener to remind me why I want to get fit!!
  • AAHHH!! You have no idea how happy I am I just found this thread. I've been struggling with the whole big girl/roller derby thing for a few months now, but have finally decided to just do it! I'm a volunteer with LADD (I do their makeup) and have been to a few practices with the new SFV Roller Derby league. I feel like a tool when I can't keep up with the other girls, but I suppose it's all in due time. Any tips? My legs are currently jello from a league workout tonight.

Seriously... I'm so friggin' excited to talk with other girls, into derby and on the plus side of the world. *insert happy dance here*
  • I love the idea - think I'll have to steal it from you and make it my reward for losing weight! I've seen local roller girls out there kicking @ss and always wished I could join. Why not??? I'm doin it!
  • I use to do derby, I miss it I hurt my knee, it's awesome someone here plays it
  • And I've now started on my roller derby dream...I went to a local shop that sells roller gear, found out about a rink that offers skating classes to adults and am attending a MN rollergirls bout in a couple of weeks. I can't wait! Here's the links to the store, rink and roller girl's site for any other Minnesotan ladies interested in derby.

Store
    Rink
    MN Roller Girls
  • Hyper, I am not that much bigger than you! GET YOUR BOOTY ON THE TRACK!!!

Superrad, "it never gets easier, you just get better at it." It took me forever to "keep up" and even still my endurance is **** compared to those who are naturally good at it or worked at it harder and longer than I do. But most of the pain from squatting and skating will subside with time as your muscles get stronger. DERBY BOOTY IS WORTH THE PAIN

Red, why wait! You dont have to be thin! If anything, roller derby will BEAT you into thinness! (okay, that isnt true, but it is one of the most intense work outs you will ever get, so it cant hurt!)

Spanks, bruises, and derby love
  • Just wanted to give a quick update and maybe get this thread going again

I've been practicing and got my own skates today, yay! Went to an adult skating class,fell down, got up and kept going. I'm hooked!

How's everyone else doing with their roller skating goals?