Alternachat - October and Onwards

You're on Page 6 of 10
Go to
  • It is a crappy, rainy, chilly day here too and I'm wrapped in a blanket while working - I have low carb chicken soup in the crockpot - my first experiment with low carb soupmaking.

wow - talk about a challenge coming up with veggies to put in with it! lemme seee......green beans, celery, green peppers, turnip, strained canned tomatoes.......and chicken - got my fingers crossed who knew the day would come when I would miss the lowly onion and carrot

Usually I cheer myself up with great tunes, but I recently sold my vintage 1985 stereo system in our yard sale and have yet to buy a new system not only that - when I get a business call I must leap to the living room to turn the music down lest they think I am actually having a good time here!

Punkin! glad you are back! missed you I fell over reading about your Captain Morgain Trivial Pursuit party - sounds like fun -except for the rugrat! LOL

Ok, now about your throat.......you must talk to Ellis about it. Not too long ago she posted about her home remedy......something about salt water or vinegar or something that you gargle and it kills the bad stuff and makes you feel well again.

Ellis?

talk to y'all later - terrigrrl
  • Terri, welcome back!!! Glad you had a good holiday (MOST of the time!).
    A glass of water with a teaspoon of cider vinegar in it. 3 times a day. Get better soon, hon.
    Trivial Pursuit is a hoot with the right people. We played it on the weekend, too.

Ruth... go to bed with a book and a sherry. Or; as Ellis just did, with a small glass of maple syrup.

Terrigrrrl, could we have your soup recipe in the recipe thread when you have time? Please?

Is it raining all over North America?
  • Thanks Ellis! I have a Dr.'s appt. today because of the white spot - they think it might be strep in which case I'd need antibiotics. Grrrr... However, if it's just a plain ol' case of sore throat I will be doing the Ellis remedy! What does kinda' worry me is that I've had Epstein-Barr before and this feels exactly the same - like if I blink too long I'm going to fall asleep... I'm sure I'm just worn out from being so busy.

It's not raining in this part of North America - I wish it would though...

Did I mention that I joined Curves yesterday?? I went with my girlfriend while I was in CA and loved it. I'm excited - actually excited enough that I'm going to ask my doc if it's ok if I still go and do a light workout today! Who'da thunk it??

Back to work!!

Terri
  • Sure Ellis.......I think you mean the Recipe thread on the Low Carb board, cuz we don't have a recipe thread here?

Anyway - here it is and I can post it there too, bear with me, I am an unconventional cook!

After you've enjoyed a roasted chicken for dinner, save the carcass and some chicken meat and refrigerate or freeze depending on how soon you plan to make the soup.

Before going to bed - place the carcass in a crockpot on low and cover with water. Cook on low overnight.

In the morning, remove and strain the broth, making sure to retain any chunks of meat that have separated from the bones and floated to the top set broth and meat aside in the fridge.

place a half cup of finely chopped onion, two cups of finely chopped celery and half cup of finely chopped green pepper in the bottom of the crockpot with 2 tblsp. of olive oil on high. After about 45 min. - add the broth back to the crockpot along with one 10 oz. pkg of frozen cut green beans, two small peeled and quartered turnips and a can of strained, diced tomatoes. Set to low and let cook for about 4 hrs. Approx 2 hrs before serving, add the chicken to the crockpot, along with salt and spices to taste. Stir well to break the chicken up into smaller pieces and to blend the flavors. Let cook on low until the 2 hrs are up.

Serve with a piece of low carb bread and butter and your favorite beverage. Very nice on a chilly damp day.

Notes: I made lowfat chicken soup for years. The difference is that this one has a richer, deeper flavor - but it's greener - no corn, carrots or noodles - so it's a tradeoff.

Terri
  • hello
    I have no idea if any of you remember me...but since I have been reading about you all, I will just pretend I never left. Well, it has been awhile. I lost my little fairy spiral notebook that has all my passwords in it. I finally opened boxes til I found it. I have slipped so much since moving the first week of Sept. My step mom is so good to us. So good that I have gained 10 pounds. I have to start walking or do more of the cooking or start only taking itty bitty portions. Going to tea and diet soda should help some. I was looking forward to baggy sweat clothes and they aren't very baggy. I finally got sad when I finally found the jacket I wanted and an XL does not fit. SO, I am going to start walking at lunchtime before Chris goes to work. Everyone is gaining not just me. We aren't used to eatting like royalty. Please someone think good house selling thoughts for me so I can bid on this repo I want. My dream Victorian was turning into the money pit. So I walked away. Which was way hard , but I want less stress not more. Anyways, my family is good. Good as they can be sharing a house with others. Grif has a cold. I believe it is that season. ~audri/flower
  • Hi flower! Of course we remember you! It's good to hear that you are still with us.
    How did the actual move go? What are you doing these days?
    I will send good house selling thoughts to you
  • Well, the move went okay. Everything is in my fathers 2000 sq ft shop. His house is only 1400 sq ft. I guess that is how the rural life is. I don't think anything broke. But since I haven't gotton into everything I can't be too sure. I am glad when I move again...in about 6 weeks (keep fingers crossed), I don't have to do it all in one trip. We ended up renting two Ryders. I drove one 400 miles. But once I got over my nervousness, it was a piece of cake. I am not working. My boy friend is. (He is washing semi's) I am trying to open my own line of crafts and florals in the next year. I am going to work on the details real soon. I want to find a home first. I don't want a 60 hour away from home job tho. I want to be mom first. ~flower
  • Flower, welcome back!!!
    Sorry to hear about the 10 pound gain. The same thing happened to us when we bought this house. I thought I'd LOSE 10 pounds, but we ended up eating out a lot...
    Don't worry, hon... you'll get it off again, and more! It's a frustrating time for you, but your life will get settled again soon.
    Sending lots of good selling and buying vibes your way.

Thanks for the recipe, Terrigrrrl... it looks yummy (sort of ). I'm going to make it this week in my crockpot. Wildfire started a thread called, ummm, Food Journal. We can post recipes there.

Terri, how did the doctor's appointment go? How are you feeling?

hugs to all...
  • Hi Flower,
    Welcome back! So you made the move and are still trying to sell your home, well I wish you well, and I am sure you will sell your house and get your dream home in no time.
    Virginia
  • Flower's back!!!!!! :flower:

Dr. appt went ok - it's not strep, she has no idea WHAT it is. I am running a temp and my neck is swollen. She told me no Curves and no trip to CA - that I should just go home and sleep. Well, I HAVE to go to CA, there is no getting out of it, but I guess I'll put off Curves until Monday...

When I went to CA my girlfriend and I started talking about doing more lo-carb (Curves has a similar weight loss plan) and your soup sounds really good Terri! I refuse to give up carbs, there are some things that I MUST have, but what I am going to focus on is the quality of the carbs - whole potatoes instead of french fries, checking my bread for wheat, fiber and unprocessed flours. The Curves book says most of our carbs are just one step from simple sugars - no wonder I'm having such a hard time kicking the sugar habit!

However, not worrying about weight right now. I'm up, quite a bit I think, but my clothes still fit. Right now, my biggest priority is to get better so I can start Curves and get my diet (as in my food) cleaned up. SOON!!!!

Terri
  • Yes Punkinseed, get well first. Don't overdo it! I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well, sure hope it is nothing serious and you are back to your old self very soon. Make yourself some nice soup and curl up under your favorite snuggly blankie. Take care!
    Virginia
  • Punkinseed-hope you get better soon
  • Flower - nice to see you again! I know moves are stressful.......but glad to see you are coming up for air (HUG)

Terri - take care of yourself - hope you feel better - wish I could send you some of my soup

Love, Terri
  • Whaaaaah! Went to the doc yesterday for my blood results and my glucose levels are up from last time. Now I have to test my damned blood four times a day for a while! I've never had to do that and hate the thought!
    So I'm feeling pissy!
    The good news is he thinks my wrist is just fine. The pain I am feeling is not from the incision but from nerves regenerating.
    Other good news, I got a haircut!
    Other good news, Harry cleaned up after dinner last night!
  • Ruth sweetie, I'm sorry about your damned glucose levels. What a pain. 4 times a day!! TOO MUCH!!! How do you do the test? Pee in a jar? Prick yourself? Spit in a cup?
    Well, on the other hand, the rest of your news is just great. Think of the testing as ummm, I dunno... something romantic and tragic with a happy ending. Can you tell I just woke up? Just ignore me. I'm completely incoherent.
    hugs...