Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 11:30 AM   #31  

Height: 5'-2"

Sojo... tomorrow is your big day! We'll be thinking about you.
You know what... you're never last if you finish. It's the ones who DIDN'T do it that are last. Keep your chin up, hon.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:05 PM   #32  

Wink

Sojo-Have a great time tomorrow. I am really proud of you for going through with it. Just think of all the people who don't even try to do a 5K. You are a winner already, and I know you won't come in dead last--all those people still sitting on their couches are the ones in last place. Good Luck.

Kaylets-You asked about alternating exercises. What I have done with my weight lifting routine, is just do the reps in a different order. It is amazing how much harder those first couple of weeks are without increasing the weight or addding to the number of reps. I also alternate seasonally. In the summer I jog and bike outside. During the winter months, I do kickboxing, step aerobics and yoga inside where it's warm and dry.

Have a great weekend everyone. Keep active and stay healthy.

~Julie
Old 09-27-2002, 10:34 PM   #33  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hi everyone

Welcome Kaylets and Jogger!

Good luck tomorrow Sojo! The point is to win something for yourself, it may be a boost for your self confidence or a sense of pride for saying you were going to do this and actually carrying it through.

I am going to bellydance class tomorrow morning-can't wait to get moving
Old 09-29-2002, 01:03 AM   #34  
a brave new me...

Exclamation Well....

I did it! My first 5k! I was nervous and worried but I did just fine. I managed to run about 7 minutes and walked the rest of it. I think my time was 46:13 which is right about where I hoped to be. The rest of the day was spent limping around as my legs and feet are really sore. My right foot/ankle was still bothering me and still hurts... actually feels like muscle cramping. Thus I am off to my jacuzzi for a little water therapy and relaxation.

BTW, I really appreciate the support here. I don't think I actually would've followed through with the race if it hadn't been for all the encouragement!

Now tomorrow my husband is running the half marathon... which looks like it will be in the rain. Now I get to go stand out in the wet cheering him on tomorrow... but thankfully I don't actually have to run one step!
Old 09-29-2002, 06:01 AM   #35  

Sojourner- I am so impressed!! GOOD FOR YOU!! Isnt it great to know you did it! When you watch your husband today it will be a different kind of "bystander" - one that knows what each step feels like- -- rather than " something I can't do" -
and PS, have you ever tried magnesium for cramping? especially leg cramps? 2 200mg will work almost w/ in 24 hrs- DH tried extra potassium for years, his doctor suggested magnesium, it was amazing how fast it worked!

Jogger, thanks for the tips- I was thinking a lot about the seasonal aspect-- guess we're both on the same page !

We didnt do much except for walking yesterday. DH and I went to Cirque du Soleil in Philadelphia and walked a few city blocks. I think I'll try and get on the bike once I'm done posting. Also need to do some gardening- the sunflowers need cutting down and I have some Iris bulbs I need to plant.

have a good one!

Old 09-29-2002, 07:22 AM   #36  

Sojo, congratulations!! We knew you could do it!!
I like what Kaylets said about your outlook on watching your husband run today. It's so true. You're one of them! And you're just going to get better and better.

Cirque du Soleil! Aren't they fantastic!!

I only went to the Y twice last week, but I'm determined to get there 3 times this week.

xo
Old 09-29-2002, 08:15 AM   #37  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Hip Hip Hooray!!

Three cheers for Sojo! You did it! Congratulations girl! We knew you could do it. I bet next year you are running right beside hubby in the half marathon. You can do anything you set your mind to.

I made it to the gym again last night. Ten minutes on the thread mill, about four of those minutes I actually jogged. It felt great! I have not been able to get these fat legs moving so fast in a long long while. Then I did five minutes on the cross trainer. That really exhausts me, but I love it. It really works all your muscles at once. Then it was off to the weights again, I have already moved up to a heavier weight and I like the feeling I get, pushing up those last few reps, when your body is so tired but you just have to do it.
:strong
Enough rambling again, take care all

Virginia
Old 09-29-2002, 05:33 PM   #38  
a brave new me...

Angry Hey!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was 382 out of 435 5k participants... but I would say 300 or so of those folks were runners. I am feeling pretty proud of myself and very inspired... especially after watching the marathon runners today. It just amazes me that people can be in such great shape. Hubby did wonderfully... finished the 1/2 marathon in 1 hour and 48 minutes, which is great considering he only ran a few times this summer. Today the top female marathon finisher (from Hungary) broke the local marathon record and won a $10,000 bonus! She finished in 2 hours and 38 minutes... amazing. There were all sorts of people out there... big, small, thin, overweight, young (10 years old), old (80 years old!), fast, slow, disabled... over 3500 participants. Then there was the wheel chair/hand crank participant who just had a kidney replacement a couple months ago... he did the full marathon. It was so inspirational and motivating... next summer dh is going to run the full marathon and I want to at least go for the 1/2... who knows... maybe the full! Right now my short-term goal is to work up to running the entire 5k.

(that is me doing my victory dance)

Last edited by Sojourner; 09-30-2002 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:15 PM   #39  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Got this booty movin again today at the gym! Uped my weights and went for 25 minutes on treadmill instead of 20 minutes. SOjo, once again way to go girl and tell DH congrats too okay, he really did well, and next year will finish the whole marathon.
Virginia
Old 09-29-2002, 06:17 PM   #40  
a work in progress...

GO Sojo! GO Sojo!
What an accomplishment!!
Congratulations!
Old 09-30-2002, 05:33 PM   #41  
a brave new me...

Angry Fitness Goal

So my new fitness is goal is to be able to run an entire 5k by the end of the year:

October 31: run 1 mile
November 30: run 2 miles
December 31: run 3.1 miles (5k)

Anyone else want to set some new fitness goals?

Old 09-30-2002, 07:51 PM   #42  

Smile Monay night

Woke up on time but just couldnt get out of bed for almost 45 minutes. One of the dogs got into something last night and was up and down what seemed like a dozen times needing to go out.

If I get my heart pumping at night, I can't go to sleep so, tomorrow am is the soonest. And I am going to make that a priority for sure because I just didnt feel right most of the day. Foggy I guess is a good way to describe it.

Hmmm, excercise goals-- well, QVC has been showing the Total Gym for two days now -DH said last night "let's research this" and by 7 am we were buying one. Our basement has low ceilings so the traditional gyms don't fit. Its the one Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley endorse-
Its easy to get the gym on the weekends but I really need that morning boost in between making lunches,etc.

Anyone else have one?
Old 09-30-2002, 10:47 PM   #43  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Way to go Sojo! You did great!

Ellis-sounds like you are committed to that gym-good for you!

Belly dance class was a blast! It felt so good to get back into it.
We will be dancing with the zills and getting some stick training this session too, I am so excited
Old 10-01-2002, 05:25 AM   #44  

Kaylets, that thingy sounds great, but I have no idea what it is. What is it? When are you getting it? Bet you can't wait! Don't use it to hang your clothes on.

Mauvais, you're belly dancing again! That's great!

My DH is going to come to the gym with me one day this week. It should be a riot.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:10 PM   #45  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

woo hoo!!!! Rock on all you exercising chickies!!!!

squeak
Closed Thread