Tattoo and Working out

• So, I am scheduled to go get a tattoo on Friday at Noon and then I am suppose to meet my trainer at the gym to work out! Is this a bad idea? He said he is not sure if I should work out right after. The tattoo is going to be on the front side of my shoulder. I figured if I covered it real good, it would be fine! What do you guys think?
  • I wouldn't do both in one day. I got sweaty with one of my tats the same night I got it and it didn't heal properly and I ended up having to have it corrected.
  • Thanks, maybe I can reschedule it for after my work-out!
  • Ask your tattoo artist. My husband *just* got a new tattoo... and his artist advised him not to work out for about a week. Not even on the treadmill.
  • Oh - and his tat was on his upper arm.
  • Hmm....I don't think I would do it. I feel like the stretching of your skin might cause the tattoo to spread. All our fears could be totally BS, but you don't want to risk it, do you?!

Could you just take in fewer calories for a few days? It just makes me nervous to think about you working that skin too hard, and a place like your shoulder seems hard to avoid moving much.
  • ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

I say that for this reason... and be careful while it's healing. As you can see in my avatar (look how cute I am! LOL) that I have a chest piece that includes the 2 swallows on the front side of my shoulders. You don't really realize how much you move your arm around and stretch that skin. I was doing lifting of a lot of boxes and moving files and stuff around (not strenous, but this was heavy duty moving).... my tat healed nicely except I did have some scabbing on the swallows. The stretching/moving/etc caused some of the scabbing to pop off (you know how they tell you not to scratch or pick the scabs if it does scab over at all) which in turn pulled the ink.

I've been putting it off (mostly due to money and its not a priority which it should be) going and getting it touched up....

Just my suggestion. Lay low until you see how it's going to heal!
  • (I'm lurking, but hi!!), I agree, it is a bad idea. In fact, you might not feel up to it anyway depending on how long you have been under the needles since you are losing blood. Mine are big, and I waited at least 2 weeks to get back on the workout train, but that was from bra and sock rubbing (obviously, different tattoos). I think I waited a month for my back to heal honestly, because I live out of state and would hate to fly to get touch ups done! Plus, my sports bra is really tight and that would suck to have over my swollen healing back.