Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #1  
Restarting my journey :)

S/C/G: 210/184/130

Height: 5ft 6

Default November Natterings

Hello Alternachicks!

How is everyone?? What do you have planned for the month of November?

I'm off to Egypt for a week wth my mum to soak up some sun which will be great, but I feel a bit crappy about the fact I could have lost so much weight If I'd gotten on track earlier in the year... but it's better late than never!

As I posted I'm really trying to get on track this month. I'm sick of trying quick fixes and I'm trying not to focus on the scale and dates etc. I want to be healthy, I want to be fit and I want to really enjoy life instead of being self conscious and unhappy about myself. Yeah, of course I want to fit into a smaller size and I'd like to be a certain weight, but being healthy and fit is actually more important to me for once and I feel really positive about that. This is why I want to focus on my activity goals rather than aiming for a weight goal.

Anyhoo, I hope all you gals are doing well and are on track for a healthier happier November
Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Egypt? Lucky you! Enjoy your trip!

I am currently trying to stay healthy and upbeat during a health issue that I am dealing with - not worrying about losing too much but staying well and focusing on exercise.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #3  

I'm really looking forward to the holiday, but I won't see much of Egypt because we're primarily going for the sun/beach but I'm definitely going to go back and see the sights. My bf lived in Cairo for 6 years when he was little so I'm sure he'd like to go back again too

It's good that you're staying positive Mauvaisroux and I hope you work through your issue and come out smiling on the other side good luck x
Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #4  

Thanks going2Bhealthy!

I am taking a leave of absence from work for a few months so I am taking it as an opportunity to do a few things for myself - reading, baking, crafts,yoga, meditation etc. that I normally don't have time to do. Hopefully I will start some new good habits that I can keep when I am back to my regular self.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #5  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone =D

I'm really really hoping that I can get back on track. This past month I've been yo-yoing a lot between 210 and 207, and i finally broke through to 205...but for the past few days I've been staying in the hospital with my mom (she just had surgery on her back) and the "guest meal voucher" doesn't give me a lot of options for healthy food or drinks...so I know I've probably been eating at least double the points I should be...possibly triple. I'm WAY scared of weighing tomorrow morning, but I'm going to do it anyways...and if it's super high I'm just not going to count it and pretend like it didn't happen. I needed to be here with my mom, who cares if it takes me a couple extra weeks to lose the weight I gained while I was here...cause I don't.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #6  

Mauve, taking some time out for yourself is always a great thing. I've been out of work for a while but I'm only just starting to do things for me instead of being lethargic and apathetic. Have fun doing all those things and let me know how your baking goes, I love baking and if you have any particularly good recipes I'd love to try them Although I won't be eating any

Divine, don't worry about the scale at the moment, as you said you've been there for your mum and that's more important than a number on the scale. You seem really determined not to let the limited choices at the hosp become a regular thing so I'm sure any gain will drop off again as soon as you're back into your routine. I wish your mother a speedy recovery

It was Guy Fawkes last night here in the UK and we let off some fireworks in the garden. If my sis is going to the huge display at Ally Pally me and the bf will probably go with her on saturday so I'm going to need some serious strength not to eat her home baked goods or drink any alcohol at hers. But I'm sure I won't sabotage myself that late in the week!!

Anyway, it's Friday here and I'm pleased that so far this week I've been good although I'm starting to crave sweet things so I'm going to do my best to stay topped up on water and avoid the bar of dark chocolate in the cupboard!

Have a happy Friday all
Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #7  

Actually - I just made this pie yesterday. I only had a small slice to taste and then gave them to hubby to take to work.

Not low fat but really good and easy to make. It makes two pies so it is my go to for when I have to bring something to a pot luck or BBQ. I usually buy the pre-made pie shells that are made with vegetable shortening instead of lard. I might try and switch the condensed milk to a low-fat condensed milk to make it a bit healthier. Hey at least sweet potatoes are good for you!

Mississippi Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients:
  • 4 ounces butter, softened (or a 1/2 cup)
  • 2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (cooled)
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 small can (5 ounces, about 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 prepared pie shells, unbaked
Preparation:

Mix butter, potatoes, sugar and evaporated milk until well blended.

Add vanilla, eggs, and cinnamon; mix well.

Pour into the prepared (unbaked) pie shells.

Bake in a 350° oven for about 1 hour, until set.

Makes 2 pies.

I am going to make this banana bread recipe tomorrow. It is only 3 ww points per slice, has no nuts or dairy in it and it is really good and easy to make.

Banana Pineapple Bread
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups flour (*I usually use 1 cup regular flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 mashed bananas ( medium size or you can use 2 large ones instead)
1/4 cup crushed pineapple in juice (not syrup), drained (save the drained juice)

Mix the dry ingredients, then mix in the wet ones. If the mixture is too dry, add some of the saved pineapple juice. Bake at 350F for about 45-60 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out nearly dry.

If cut into10 slices it is 3 pts a slice.

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 11-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #8  

Cool, I'll stick them into a recipe folder. I love trying new things and that sweet potato pie sounds yum! I love sweet potatoes... in fact I'm starting to salivate! I've got a pumpkin in my kitchen which I'm going to turn into pumpkin pie this afternoon. Very naughty but it has to be done
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #9  

going2Bhealthy - well you gotta do what you gotta do!

I got a nice surprise today - I got on the scale and I have lost 2lbs! yippee!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #10  

Meh, I was really lazy yesterday and didn't make the pie. But it is on the list for the next few days before it gets all wrinkley.

and well done on the loss Mauve!!!!

My aim for this week is to stay on plan and to not slack off on the exercise over the weekend... unfortunately it seems to have become a trend that I never really intended on setting. So, it's active active active and cleaneating all the way!

Also it's less than two weeks until I go away and I'd really like to bring my good habits away with me so I don't end up gaining while away.

I hope you all had a good weekend

Last edited by going2Bhealthy; 11-09-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #11  
on the way to skinny

So I'm in Huntsville for the next 4 days with my boyfriend...I had 4 days off work in a row, so I decided to come up here and visit him (I live in Houston)...anyways...I'm worried about gaining. For the most part I think we're planning on eating around the house...and I'll be going grocery shopping for my own food to eat...I'm just afraid I won't be able to resist the temptation of the fast food. This is where I was living when I gained the 45 lbs in not even a year that I did when I was away at college...and it was because we'd have fast food almost every day, sometimes even twice a day..

I don't think it will be that bad, now that I'm aware of my weight and actually trying (somewhat successfully) to diet...but I guess in my mind I think of a "date" as something like dinner and a movie...going out somewhere or something like that...and he and I wanted to go do something nice...which will probably involve something like Chilies or Mexican or Chinese food...which I know isn't good for me...and I'm REALLY bad at making healthy choices in places like those...

Oh well, I think I can stay OP for the most part...there might be some drinking involved, but if I plan it into my daily points, I think I should be okay..
Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #12  

Hey Divine, I hope you have a good mini-hol with your bf With regards to eating out, (I have a friend on WW who uses this strategy) try and get ahead of yourself instead of going out at the last minute, plan to do it, at least in the morning so you can adjust your points for the day. It also gives you a chance to think about what you'd like to order and whether that's the best choice etc. When you've decided what you're going to eat when you go out (and at home) - track it. I don't follow WW but it makes sense that if you make a food choice and immortalise it in your tracker or diet blog or on here or where ever, it'll be easier to stick to your choice. Also drink plenty of water if eating out (to avoid retention) and enjoy it. Make a good choice, balance it out with your home cooked meals and don't feel too guilty about it. Just make sure you don't do it every day We all need a treat once in a while!

I had a really good day yesterday, again I managed to slack on the weekend so spent yesterday trying to rectify my laziness. I had an almost perfect eating day (I had seconds at dinner, ouch!), I drank 2l of water, I didn't have any coffee and I kicked my own butt on the bike clocking up 60 minutes and a total of about 24k

It's my weigh in day and I saw a loss of 1lb which is great seeing as I gorged on pizza and beer on saturday (fireworks and fight night ) so I'm aiming for a near perfect week. I'm struggling to get my toning exercises in and I need to make a little time for fun me things too (bubble bath, painting nails etc). So that is my aim for the next 7 days. Happy Tuesday everyone
Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #13  
on the way to skinny

Well...things didn't go so well on the "date"...haha.

We went to see Christmas Carol in 3D...which was really pretty and I liked it...but I also got a small popcorn and loaded it with TONS of butter...AND drank like half of his Icee...

Then we went to Saltgrass Steakhouse....which idk if it's a nationwide chain or just here in TX...but lets just say he had a huge steak which he ate half of and i ate a piece of covered in butter...and he had this super cheesy potato side thing with chives...which I definitely ate some of...and then I had half of a 1/2 lb 100% Angus Beef Cheeseburger...normal white bun buttered and everything with american cheese...and some french fries...

I did eat well the rest of the day...I had a slimfast for breakfast (3 or 4 pts or something like that)...and a smart ones for lunch (like 4 or 6 pts...) so at the most I'd only had 10 points....so I still had 15...but I'm sure I ate more then that...because between myself and him we finished the popcorn (and he doesn't like popcorn all that much)...

Idk, I might have done alright..

I figure it's good that I got it over with the first day I was here...because we're going grocery shopping today for the food I'm going to eat the rest of the time that I'm here...and we're not going to eat out again at all (unless I start really craving subway or something...lol)...so by the time I get home maybe I'll have lost what I gained from that meal...haha.

Oh, and I have free access to the SHSU gym because I was a student and if you still have your ID even if you don't go there anymore, the let you in...so we might go to the gym later =D
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #14  

Definitely go to the gym if it's free!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #15  
on the way to skinny

Yeah, I'm planning on it =D

I tried to calculate it out...

My best guess is that I had around 40 or 45 points yesterday...

I'm DEFINITELY only supposed to have 25...

but I guess I haven't used my "flex points" for the week, although I really try to never use them...so I'm probably OKAY...I guess.
Closed Thread