3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Any Roller Derby Girls Out There? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/172017-any-roller-derby-girls-out-there.html)

breathingfumes 05-18-2009 06:56 PM

Any Roller Derby Girls Out There?

I would love to have a weight loss buddy that plays roller derby so we can discuss how practice and bouts effect weight loss and just chat about general weight loss tricks. just a few things i'm 23 weigh 208 and i'm on the weight watchers plan.

Sojourner 06-21-2009 09:24 PM

Mmmmm I would like to say yes... am currently considering joining the local roller derby league...

Spring_Thaw 07-03-2009 10:38 AM

Heya! I've been a mostly lurker here at 3FC for a while, but just had to pop my head in on this one.

I'm retired, but I helped in the building of, and played our first season in the derby team here! :) Illness/injury forced my retirement, and some days I miss it terrible.

I never lost a darn lb when I was playing derby, but that's because I drank more, and went out for post-practice/post-game meals more. heh.

So, I can't really talk about practice affecting my loss NOW, which is probably more what you're lookin for, but I thought I'd pop my head in anyway. :)

Sojourner: See you're from Wisconsin...would your local league be the ***? ;)

mauvaisroux 07-12-2009 03:37 PM

I just went to my first live derby show! It was so much fun. If I could skate and didn't bruise easily I might join. :D

Sojourner 07-14-2009 04:30 PM

Well I have been to two practices now... wow am I out of shape but it was sooooo FUN!! The local league is the Fox Cityz Foxz. :)

mauvaisroux 07-16-2009 10:11 PM

Cool!

Spring_Thaw 07-17-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourner (Post 2826703)
Well I have been to two practices now... wow am I out of shape but it was sooooo FUN!! The local league is the Fox Cityz Foxz. :)

Sweet! I don't know why it starred out part of my ? earlier. I played on the Brewcity Bruisers (Crazy Eights). I think you guys just played our Battlestars!

Got yourself a name/number yet?:)

betty grrl 08-02-2009 11:19 PM

Oh to be a Roller Derby Girl!! I have a long way to go BUT that is my ultimate goal, to join the local Roller Derby here in Winnipeg!!!

Sushi 08-04-2009 01:46 PM

Hey ! You're from Winnipeg too. Kewl! Is the Roller Derby still functional here? I thought it closed down?

betty grrl 08-05-2009 01:15 AM

It look like they are still active. Just google "winnipeg roller derby" and you can get on their site.

Thats awesome another Winnipegger!!!

thisisntsybil 08-09-2009 12:40 PM

I was going to sign up for the roller derby girls here in Detroit, but I was actually told that they needed someone bigger than me! Boy, was I ever surprised!

Sojourner 08-09-2009 10:15 PM

I have REALLY been enjoying roller derby practice... I have a long way to go before I can actually pass the skills test but I am determined! Practices are really brutal and I haven't even done any contact drills yet. But I love it...

going2Bhealthy 08-10-2009 05:32 PM

I had to google roller derby, I'd never heard about it before and it looks like a lot of fun! I guess we just don't have it here in the UK and I'd probably suck having never been a skater, but I'm really jealous of you roller derby girls, it really looks like a fun sport :)

Derbying4herlife 08-20-2009 09:55 AM

I LOVE derby Ive been doing it for about a month, its really building up my leg muscles and endurance, its nice to be part of a team

Sojourner 08-29-2009 03:01 PM

Ok I have pretty much become addicted to roller derby! Wow it's such a great workout and it is PERFECT for an alternachick like me. :)

maryquitecontrary 09-02-2009 11:50 AM

I would love to be on a roller derby team. I was always thinking I should lose the weight first. I wasn't thinking of it as a way to lose the weight. Maybe after I reach my first mini goal, i will look into it!

sublimepanda 10-03-2009 03:48 PM

New to the cruise

hey I'm new to the fabulous world of Roller Derby (and 3fc)!!!! Any information on how to be bad *** would help would be greatly appreciated!!!

that1girl 10-05-2009 11:23 PM

i haven't really had a chance to check out roller derby here in the bay area but i was a big fan of the Arizona Derby Dames league. i loved the Coffin Draggers and i even had a lil woman-crush on Suzie Homewrecker (now in Kansas City ): )! i had strongly considered trying out but when it comes right down to it... i'm a big wimp!

sublimepanda 01-24-2010 07:12 PM

I'm a roller derby girl

hello my name is nicole derby name Anime of the State. I skate for a recreational team in Indianapolis called the Circle City Socialites. Eventually we have hopes on becoming WFTDA certified. I have been skating for almost 4 months now. Its rough but I love it. I would love to talk to more derby girls who are like me. I mean not everyone was born with skates on our feet. the very first night I went to practice I literally spent the whole time learning how to get off the floor. Now I don't hit the floor as much but I know that if I do hit the floor I'll be okay...I mean I'm wearing pads!! haha well sorry I ramble

well have a great day!!!!!

katiecron 01-25-2010 06:02 PM

i just quit a few weeks ago. i couldn't keep up with grad school and derby and full time lead position at work...
practice was a blast! what a workout.

katiecron 01-25-2010 06:02 PM

^btw, derby name: dee splitz #14 for skeetown skirtz.

my first practice, i was on a time trial and loss my footing. i did total crotch to floor Chinese splits and it totally felt like excruciating slow motion. =dee splitz

Technosexual 01-25-2010 09:28 PM

Roller Derby chicks are hot!

BeatnikMama 01-30-2010 11:05 AM

I've always wanted to do it!

salamroya 02-05-2010 12:06 AM

I am actually getting ready to start my fresh meat orientation. I am super uber big. 5"8 and 289. I was really worried about it at first but I was very athletic all my life up until a few years ago. Muscle memory I hope!

sucha d0ll 02-05-2010 12:13 AM

there's two teams out here in the bay area.. i would love to do it. but the bf works til late ;[ and no sitter... bah

honeybjones 02-05-2010 10:25 AM

I am such a derby girl wanna be. I even have my name picked ou--RumbleBee.

Modjeska 02-28-2010 02:20 PM

I hardly check in here anymore, but I've been doing derby for almost a year now. I love it, and while it's a great workout, the after parties are not helpful to my overall calorie intake. ;)

Actually, what brings me back here this time is Rollercon. My husband is not thrilled about me going, but agreed that it would be a great reward for finally getting rid of some extra weight. My goal is 40 pounds by late July. Yikes.

Amazonette 04-12-2010 10:11 AM

Don't kill me,I can't help ressurecting this thread,I miss derby more than I can express.
I swear,derby is THE most amazing work-out I've ever done.I've been told heavy cardio/aerobic type stuff would work for my body-debry proved that beyond a doubt.After two months of practice I just FELT slimmer,my legs were holycrap ripped,and just...I felt spectacular.

Skating derby-style is a great workout I think no matter what your body type.Intense cardio,works pretty much your whole body what with the arm movement,the core tension from being in the proper stance,and of course the overall movement.I swear the best/worst thing we ever did in practice was a round of Suicides.Laps,then 5 pushups and situps;we went from 1 to 15 then back down.Dear god it hurt but afterward,I felt amazing.

Oh,my derby info-Ex Black and Bluegrass Rollergirl,formerly known as Jesterevil #616.When I finally get to go back,the name is changing.

aware210 05-09-2010 04:12 PM

I dont do roller derby, But i really really want to get into it when i lose some more weight!!! I used to skate (inline/aggressive) when i was younger, i was very good and i was very fast and i would love to knock some b*tches down lol!! Anyways i imagine it would be very good for weight loss!

RienQueNny 05-11-2010 05:41 PM

I've been considering joining one of our roller derby teams here in Vancouver but figured I should get a bit fitter first... I didn't think about how practice could help me lose weight. I always thought, "when I get to 150 it'll be time". Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should go now, while I'm big-ish and able to knock *****es down with my weight... at goal weight I think my only friend would be speed cuz I'll be a tiny thing...
I guess I have the summer to find a pair of skates and practice breaking my face until the tryouts in September. I'd love to join a derby team, I'm sure it would help me stay active so much more!

For the current derby girls, has it really helped with your weight goals? Nevermind the post-game parties and such, that means a lot of calories but it doesn't take away all the exercise. Do you find you're fitter, or that your endurance improved, etc?

Modjeska 05-20-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RienQueNny (Post 3287041)

For the current derby girls, has it really helped with your weight goals? Nevermind the post-game parties and such, that means a lot of calories but it doesn't take away all the exercise. Do you find you're fitter, or that your endurance improved, etc?

Absolutely. I've lost weight overall and toned my legs and butt quite a bit, though I'm sure I'm the only one who notices due to the layer of fat still still covering them. I recently came back after 8 weeks on injury leave, and that first practice back was a killer, but the soreness after was a good reminder that I'm working every single muscle group. I laid in bed flexing each one to check, and only my fingers and toes didn't protest.

sterbear 05-29-2010 12:48 AM

I just went to see my first roller deryby show, and I'm going to try out at the fresh meat practice in a couple weeks! I am seriously excited and am looking forward to it!

RienQueNny 06-13-2010 02:34 PM

I'm kinda resuscitating this thread now but I wanted to share that I went to my first rookie practice last night, just a bunch of girls trying to learn the game and learn to skate(lol) together before trying out for the actual league. But I gotta say I am SO sore today, and we really didn't do much besides learning to stand on skates and break and turn and fall properly. Which I guess is a lot considering I hadn't put on a pair of skates in over a decade, I did great! And I had a blast!

Today I hurt everywhere hahaha I guess it's a good sign, my everything is sore, muscles I didn't even know I had... oh they're there! And they got WORKED. I can't believe I waited this long to try it out, I'm sure this is gonna be an amazing workout!

mauvaisroux 07-06-2010 02:02 PM

I can't do derby as I had lymph nodes removed under my arm due to breast cancer. I have been told not to risk injury to that arm in order to avoid getting a condition called lyphedema which causes permanent swelling of the arm. I am thinking of training to be a ref.

Anyone here do reffing and do you have any advice for a noob?