3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Alternachicks 3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/17082-alternachicks-3-a.html)

Ruthxxx 06-11-2002 11:41 AM

Alternachicks 3

Whew! I don't know if it's my antique PC or not but it seemed to take forever to get to the most recent scintillating post.

We just got back from having bloodwork done. I look like some kind of early Christian martyr - a non-virgin one! I have those stupid veins that collapse as soon as a needle approaches and the nurse has a **** of a time getting blood samples. ( The Red Cross folks have begged me never to try to give them blood donations. ) Actually I am seriously considering having a spigot put in for this quarterly sample deal - maybe in my crotch so I can pretend to be a 15-year old boy for Ellis! Let me know what you think.

My DH is now on my ****-list! He went insane with the weed whip yesterday and cut down some Asiatic lilies AND my 6 year old clematis. I was using the hose at the time and really let him have it. Then I stomped off for a bath and a read while he got his own damned lunch! The guy goes robotic and catatonic when he gets a machine in his hands! Several years ago, I asked him to cut down my front perennial bed in the fall - with clippers. When I got home Friday night he had cut it down with the riding mower. My iris were all scalped! Another time he and Numb Nuts Neighbour Norm (aka 4N) decided to clean the beds behind the barn by burning them. He included the perennial beds and my herb beds in the conflagration. Men and Machines - complete idiots.

OK - enough *****ing. As I often say, if it weren't for sez, I would have been a Lesbian. :lol:

Tigger and Squeaker, it's so nice to have you posting with us. This is a very supportive (and slightly nuts) group. I think it is especially important to get in here and post even when you are thoroughly pissed off with yourself over food. The A-chicks can always say something to make you feel better. (Of course we also get vicarious pleasure from hearing what "naughty" things you have been eating! :D )

My weight spiked up 2.5 pounds overnight. Go figure! That means I took in over 8000 extra calories yesterday - DUH! I have football feet and sausage fingers so I am damned sure it's water retention. I have just renewed my diuretic prescription which may take care of the problem. The diuretic helps my Carpal Tunnel SYndrome too - it's always worse in warm weather. I guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and have the wrist surgery - just let's get the summer in there first.

Hey Mauvais - only ten more pounds to goal! Good going, Lady! Climbing those Laurier steps must help.

Gotta go - Farmer Art at the door with a load of straw for mulching. Back later. Too darn wet and hot to mulch - but he is kind of cute in his overalls! :devil:

mauvaisroux 06-11-2002 06:32 PM

Evening everyone :wave:

whew! Busy day at work- I am worn out...
I have a huge do to list for the house but can't be bothered this evening.

Ruthxxx-Those two boys should never be allowed to play together ever again! :lol: your poor flowers!

Tigger and Sqeeker- keep up the faith in yourselves! Everyone has bad days and slipups but you just have to do better the next day...remember that you are doing it for yourselves and nobody else! :)

Ellis-I only watch hockey at playoff time and at the Olympics:D-I prefer football-can't wait to go to a game live here in town with our new team!

Fluid and Den- You "wing"nuts!:lol: I hope they make it too!

Must rush off to cook supper, just thought I would check in before I eat and Shlep for the evening:D

Goodnight!
Mauvais

dentrassi 06-11-2002 10:18 PM

WOW!!! ALTERNACHICKS #3!!!!!!

Ruthxxx-I know what you mean! My DH once pulled up a bunch of poppies thinking they were weeds!!! I must say though, this year he has been doing more gardening than I have. We mostly just let chaos reign. We took a branch of a climbing rose and put it in and around a porch post to get it out of the way. Now it has grown all the way to the top and looks GORGEOUS because it is all in bloom. But if I had tried to PLAN it..........:lol:

Mauvairoux-Sounds like everything is going pretty well for you! 10 pounds from goal is FANTASTIC!!!!

Tigger and Squeak- Ruth is right. The more you post the better, and we hardly ever point and laugh!! Besides, you get to do it back again!! Just the other day Ellis was saying that I am crude, and I must say I don't know WHERE she got THAT idea. I always pride myself on being a perfect lady. (Now where the **** did that puking emoticon go?)

Ellis-HOPE YOU AREN"T LOST!!!!!

dentrassi 06-11-2002 10:39 PM

Okay, I just went back and read the posts at the end of #2, and now I have to comment all over again.

Tigger-I went to U of M as an undergrad. Residential College, BA in social science (mostly psych). Also was just a few credits short of a second degree in Spanish (MOST of which I have forgotten!!) Hubby went to Wayne, studied Psych, dropped out (medical and financial difficulties), dropped in, finished BS in Psych and then went on to get his MA in English (Creative Writing). So what do I do for a living? I make jewelry!!! So are you working on a masters or phd? And what in?

Ellis-PLEASE!!! I only claim to be HALF British!!! I know all about Postman Pat, Noddy and.......wait for it.........MARMITE!!!!!!!! But I still don't know who the **** fireman Sam is!!! By the way, the non-British side is pretty fascinating too!!! It involves my grandfather running away at age 14 and joining the circus. Seriously!!!!

Ruth-I DON"T CARE IF IT IS TOO LATE!!! YOU COULD HAVE NAMED THIS THREAD ALTERNACHICKS #2 (part 2)

squeaker 06-11-2002 10:55 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of mood swings :)

Hello girls! :wave:

1st - thank you so much for the support! :) Today was a better food day. It was actually on the almost too low end. Random fact - depression does funny things to my food intake. It will either make me want to eat everything in sight or nothing at all. Plus half the time my mood changes every 10 minutes. It is predominantly bad moods, but it can be p*ssed one minute, crying the next, numb the next. It used to freak out this one guy I was friends with. He never knew what to do with me if I told him I was in one of those moods. I had tried to warn him and tell him it would be better if he just left me alone for a few days and I would let him know when it was over. He never did listen...

No news on the friend's husband. But I guess no news is better then bad news.

I took a mental health day off of work tommorow. It was originally because I had plan on going out tonight and staying late, but I hate sinuses. Well that and headaches and loud bands don't mix well. (And makes me miserable).

But in happy news - I willed my phone to ring and my best friend to be on the other end, and it worked. ;) I have so incredably missed talking to him. And it has been decided I am leaving for Lake Placid in 22 days. *happy dance* I will be gone for almost 2 weeks. AND I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! I am such a sucker for an "I miss you" or "Do you want to come visit for a week" (like I would say no) or my favorite, after figuring out how long it was - a pathetic sounding "That's almost a month away." Yes I know we are pathetic and sickening, but I love him to death.

oh and Den - crude is fun (in the right company) ;)

I am glad that things (well maybe except for Ruthxxx's flowers and possibly husband) seem to be going ok.

Night :)
:spin:squeak

mauvaisroux 06-12-2002 07:23 PM

Hello Fab Femmes! :cool:

What wierd weather today...this morning felt like fall and this afternoon felt like midsummer:?:

They shut down my office building today and we got to leave an hour early:) Nothing serious, a transformer blew in the storm last night and conked out some equipment in our building so they shut us down early to repair it. I was forced to use the stairs today and went up 7 flights...Ugh! I was so out of breath when I got to my floor it was embarrassing:o

Den-thanks a lot! I thought everyone had forgotten about the marmite thing:lol: I used to have a noddy alarm clock...he slept under a tree and his head nodded in time with the ticking as if he was snoring...still love it when I come across Noddy stuff,
and Rupert the Bear not to mention Paddington. Oh, and thanks for the Kudos- I'm feeling pretty good lately after being in a slump for a few weeeks.

Squeeker-Yay for you! Two weeks away will be a nice break for you and seeing your friend will be fun! glad that you are feeling a bit better than yesterday.

Ruthxxx, Fluid_Fiction, Ellis, and Tiggerdiva-Hi to all of you-hope you can find your way here (except you Ruth who obviously does know her way here :lol: )

Have a great evening everyone-Iam off to do my laundry :p
Mauvaisroux:devil:

ellis 06-12-2002 11:12 PM

not lost, simply dim-witted

ooops, I thought I'd already written here. No wonder I wasn't getting any emails for new postings.

Ruth, that's just water. It'll come off. You weigh yourself everyday, don't you? Me, too. I know you're not supposed to, but I just can't resist. Plus if I DON'T, 10 pounds can slip up on me in a couple of days. I have to keep on top of my fat. :)
And I think if it wasn't for the sex, MOST of us would be lesbians. :lol:

Squeak, I'm so glad you heard from your best friend. :) Are you on medication? Everyone here is except for Mauvais. Mauvais is beautiful, thin, and mentally stable. The rest of us are beautiful, fat, and mentally incompetent. (yeah, Ruth... I'm including YOU! :lol: )

Mauvais, it's a good thing you've been practicing on the Laurier bridge stairs. Geez, 7 flights! Wasn't that rain something?
We have a new football team?!

Den, your grandfather joined the circus?! No way!! What did he do in the circus? Don't tell me he was one of the midgets? (how DID you get to be so short, anyhow?) Listen, you really must watch Fireman Sam. The music is kind of sexy. And the store owner is a hoot. Always got her hair in rollers.

Shel and Tigger, I'M not lost, are YOU?

DH and I just did a 10 minute Cher stomach video. I don't think I'm going to be able to get out of bed tomorrow. THE PAIN!!!

later darlings,
ellis

tiggerdiva718 06-13-2002 12:23 AM

Hi everyone :p

How are you all? I made it through yesterday--my big long day from ****! Tuesdays are a pain for me, but I stuck to my plan. I didn't get a chance to work out, but I didn't have time. I leave at 7am, and I'm not home until almost 11pm! I'm excited for tomorrow, however, because it's possible the Red Wings could take the Cup back where it belongs! I will be downtown partying tomorrow, so I probably won't be posting again until Friday.

Ruthxxx: Sorry to hear about your flowers :( My fiance is pretty absent-minded, and sometimes he does things that just floor me. But then he does things that make my heart melt, so I try to remember the heart melting when my blood begins to boil! Quick question (for anyone really)--I've noticed that everyone has been using DH, but I'm not sure what that stands for.

Squeaker: Depression can cause so many different things all at once! Have you ever talked to a professional about it? It seems like meds might be able to help you regulate somewhat. I know that road isn't always an easy one to take--I work with people who refuse seeing counselors now because of horrible experiences. Have you noticed anything that helps you deal with those mood swings?

Ellis: Hello! We missed you! No, I'm not on meds, but it sounds like it's been helping some of you out! Hope things are going your way this week!

Mauvaisroux: Sorry to hear about the stairs from ****. Just think, though--if you hadn't busted your butt on those stairs last week, you would have been in a lot worse shape :^: And don't feel embarrassed about being out of breath. Anyone would have been out of it after seven flights! When I was in high school, I played every sport imaginable and weighed 120 pounds, but when I had to climb to the third floor of the school, I was huffing and puffing like a fool :o

Den: Well, well! We have lots in common! I, too, went to UM undergrad, and I also lived in East Quad. I wasn't in the RC, though. I majored in psych, and now I am in the middle of my master's in social work. I grew up in Detroit, so I am really familiar with your hubby's stomping grounds at WSU. It's nice to have a familiar face :D

Okay all, it's time for me to hit the hay! Have a wonderful day, and I will be celebrating a Wings' victory tomorrow (I hope!).

Tigger

dentrassi 06-13-2002 12:35 AM

HI ALL!!!

Ellis-I got to be so short because of my Dad's Mom. When she died she only came up to my shoulders!!! She CLAIMED that she was 5' 2" earlier in her life, but quite frankly I think she was "exaggerating" My Dad's Dad is a mystery. For a long time the main info we had about him was through my Uncle (now deceased) who was a pathological liar. I grew up with a German last name, and in 5th grade found out that my grandfather had changed it, was possibly French and/or Jewish, probably was a con-man, and might have spent some time in jail. That is also the time that I heard the circus story, although i don't know if that is true either. After her SECOND husband died, my grandmother opened up a bit, and we got a last name, and checked the registry in Rhode Island (where he supposedly was from.) We THINK we found the right people. The last name and lots of first names seemed to fit (for example, my dad remembered an Aunt Rose out east, and that was a popular name in this family.) So IF we found the right family, They came from Germany in the late 1800's, and were Jewish. The sons of the first couple that came were both Jewelers, which really gave me chills!!! My Grandmother was a card!! She liked those naughty boys!! Her first husband was a con man and the second was a rum runner (to Cuba) during prohibition, and later opened a successful car dealership!!! She teased DH by callig him her favorite grandson. He went up to her, touched noses with her and said, "HEY!! You can't fool me, I'm your ONLY grandson ." From that day on she LOVED him. Now if he had done that to British Granny......let's just say it would have been ugly. (By the way, she turned 98 yesterday!) NOW, aren't you sorry you asked? If you are REALLY nice, tomorrow I will tell you about the cousin that I found out I had two years ago (daughter of pathological liar.) What can I say, uptight and proper on one side, and dysfunctional on the other!!!

Squeak-Sometimes it is even MORE fun being crude in the wrong company!! :devil: ESPECIALLY when they think you are meek and mild!!!! I'm glad you are going away on vacation, sounds like you need some fun right now!!! Try to post here while you are gone too. I live vicariously through all you young people. (Leaning over with hand on back, stooped and moaning...)

Mauvairoux-How nice! A small vacation from work AND getting your exercise in early!!! I still like Noddy. I also used to read a series of books my Mom has about a girl named Dimsie (I think that was it) and her "adventures" at boarding school. I picked flute to play in school because she played it and it was referred to as an unusual instrument. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that just about every girl in the US picked flute!!! I did end up enjoying it though!!!

Ruthxxx-It is hard to know HOW to punish a naughty husband when you like sex so much. I can't even JOKE about withholding it, 'cause I'm too afraid he'll say "fine." He will sometimes claim he is going to spank me, and I say, "PROMISES, PROMISES!!!" I know!!! Tell your hubby if he doesn't help with the digging HE has to take Lucy to class and deal with *****y drawers!!!!

Tigger and Shel-HI!!! Hope you are happy, healthy, and ready to tell us a story!!!

dentrassi 06-13-2002 12:52 AM

Hi Tigger! We were posting at the same time!!! Wow, you lived in East Quad too, eh? That is pretty neat!! What part of Detroit did you grow up in? DH (Dear Hubby, by the way), grew up on the east side and went to Cass. My parents are both retired now, but he was a psychologist at Clinton Valley Center and she was a school social worker. I spent a lot of time at Wayne as a kid, because my Dad was working on his PhD and would take us with him when we had a day off of school. I agree with you about meds. They helped me enough that i was able to start really working on some of my issues, and I am enjoying my life much more because of them. This is ALMOST becoming a cliche, but it really did seem like life went from black and white to color when the meds started working!

I'm staying at home to watch the game. I don't like crowds much, so all four of us will probably squeeze in on the couch and "exercise" a la Shel.

squeaker 06-13-2002 02:03 PM

Hi :)

Since I don't feel like dealing with how pension works (what I do involves HR and it's making my head hurt) at the moment I figured I would pop in and say hi.

My mood today is ok. It is a wonder what a random day off can do. All I did was go to the movies and out to lunch with one of my friends. The lunch part while it tasted wonderful was very bad for the plan. Coffee, pancakes, sausage, bacon, hash browns and eggs. It was also pretty much the only thing I had to eat all day. I normally just can't eat that much food at once even if I wanted to. So I was stuff the whole rest of the day.
Ellis - I LOVE the beautiful, fat and mental incompentent description. I used to tell people "I am in shape - round is a shape." or "I am short and round".
Mauvais - How is it you are the only one that gets to be mentally competent? No fair! ;) And the stairs main have been a pain but they were just an unexpected, extra helpful work out.

Tigger & Ellis - I am not on any drugs for depression. Partially just because I don't want to be on any more medication. I take the pill to regulate my hormones, which actually can be a part of my problem. One side effect of the pill is depression. I may look into getting that changed for a third time. I had it changed once already because it was giving me high blood pressure.
I guess I am just trying to deal with it myself. I actually haven't been really bad off for about 2 1/2 years. I am getting better at knowing why I am in one of those moods. And I have been trying to work through alot of it. It is mostly being upset with myself and certain aspects of my life. I end up fighting with myself a lot. as my boy once told me "I think that if one thing is constant about you is that you change a lot. " Most of the time sleep helps. Some times food, though that one is tricky. I eat because I feel bad then feel worse for eating as much as I did. Some times it is spending time with my boy or just out of the house. Or just being by myself. It depends on what set it off this time. A few times (like 3 or 4 in the last 3 years) it was drinking. But after the time I locked myself in my room and broke part of my closet ( I was leaning on the shelf to get a shirt) I stopped doing that. That was over a year ago. I also learned not to put myself in a situation that can cause that. I hadn't been feeling really good to begin with, started drinking and was the odd person out with 2 couples.
I have also gotten better at at least showing an ok front to most people. Most people don't know anything is off unless I have either lived with them, or are really close.

Den - I love the family story! That is too funny. and some how people quickly figure out I am not quite so sweet and innocent even if I havent said anything *really* bad. I will try and post while I am gone, I'll find a library or something. I 'll need to find something to do while he is at work. :)

where is everyone else??? :)

squeaker 06-14-2002 06:47 AM

Hello?

Hellllllllllllooooooooo???? Anybody home?

I promise no more long meandering posts about depression if you guys come back........ ;)

Anyway, have a great day girls!

:)squeak

ellis 06-14-2002 07:55 AM

Hey Squeak! We LOVE reading your long meandering posts... that's what we're here for! Keep 'em coming. What's HR?
I think you're smart not to take drugs for depression. It sounds like you don't need them anyway. You've got a good handle on figuring out what's making you depressed and you seem to have the skills to know how to handle it. You should be proud of yourself at having grown so much by such a young age. For some of us, it takes many years to figure ourselves out. Of course, now that some of us chemically screwed up nuts are finally on meds, we're sane enough that we can work on a little personal growth ourselves! :lol: (no offence intended, darlings... I speak only of myself. ;) )

Okay, what are you guys watching? Hockey? Den, am I missing something exciting? Should I be turning on my TV?
Hey, your family history is great! So you're a Jewish German jeweler, huh? A very fine breed. Particularly when cross-bred later with a Brit. Don't want too much inbreeding, do we? :dizzy:
Your grandmother sounds like a darling!! Happy 98th!!
I just love that term, "pathological liar". :lol:
"...uptight and proper on one side, and dysfunctional on the other..." sounds like MY family! My father grew up in London and had the most dreadful cockney accent. He made a real effort to get rid of it in his younger years though, and you'd never know he'd been a cockney. He came from a middle class family, but there was a lot of CRAP going on, and he made a real effort to get himself away from it all. (hence our "escape" to Canada)

geez, I've only talked to two people and I'm already lengthy.

Tigger, have fun partying! I hope your team wins! Wings?
Hey, what do you do for a living? I mean, what do you get paid for? I mean... you know what I mean. It sounds interesting. My DH is a social worker.

Ruth, I know where YOU are! In LC!! How are things? Been whipping DH with that hose again?

Mauvais, Shel... what the heck are you two doing? Mauvais, are you still climbing stairs?

gotta run... I'm going for my first session with the psychologist today. I'm looking forward to it... if I can just get the $130 per hour out of my head, I'll be fine. :rolleyes:

have a great day all!

fluid_fiction 06-14-2002 03:14 PM

the wings won, the wings won, la la la, the wings won!!!

*dancies*

'tis i, the long-lost Shel... :) see, Tigger and Squeak... these lovely ladies are very accepting... i keep disappearing for days on end, and they welcome me back every time.

Ruth> bad husband. bad, BAD husband. i'd suggest you spank him, but it might not have the desired reaction. ;) well, not as a deterent for mowing down your flowers, that is.....

Squeak> how great about your friend!!! :) being missed always is good for the soul. and an unexpected vacation never hurts. *s*

Mauv> i love Paddington. :) i don't love long flights of stairs. they're evil, evil things.

Ellis> *waves* hello to you! :)

Tigger and Den > we so rock. *g* did you guys cry when they showed Vladdy?? i sobbed so hard... it's great that he's doing so well, after we all thought he'd be lost to us. and Scotty leaving! i'm hoping he changes his mind.... again. ;)

well, i'm off to the other job shortly... this week has been a travesty as far as diet and exercise. in Harrison for the weekend, and Monday i'm starting over.... again.... *sighs* too much stress this week. but i think if i keep starting over, then i'm still ahead. i hope. *ss*

*hugs* to everyone. happy friday. :)

Shel

Ruthxxx 06-14-2002 04:09 PM

Yeah WINGS!!!! And I don't mean Buffalo! If OUR Canadian Grey Cup has to leave the country, I'm glad it's just across the border in Detroit. Apaprently Windsor went wild last night! Tigger, have a lot of fun tonight but stay on your own side of the border, OK? I need a good night's sleep.

Yup, Ellis - I haven't been around much. I've been moving and editing stuff over in low carb and minitoring the Boards and Chat. I 'm also trying to get the darn garden planted between downpours! I still have some winter clothes out - and I'm glad.

Well, Miss Lucy (aka Lucifer) graduated from beginners Obedience this morning and behaved like a little Princess. No peeing on the floor even when she got growled at by a big Alsation stud! And the really good news is that *****y Drawers' dog barfed on the floor and also did a walking poop while we were doing a heel exercise. The two instructors just took her dog from her and handed her the mop and pail. I was hard pressed to keep from a major smirk! Or even a *snork*!!! Lucy will continue to the next level but I don't know if BD is going to be in the same class. Somehow today made me sort of hope she is in it! ROFLOLPIMP!

So what's this mental incompetence thing? What does mental mean? How about incompetence? By the way I am not on any drugs except for Scotch - am even cutting back on the Advil.

Shaved my legs this morning in hopes that it will bring on summer. Shel, since you won't give me any skin, how about wax for the legs? I hope I can keep myself from putting on that awful orange instant tan junk! Ellis and Mauvais, can you believe this crappy weather? I may get caught up on mending, laundry and other damned domestic crap if I'm not careful.

Den, I'm short because my Mother was short. She was also small boned - weighed 105 the day before she had me! My Dad always claimed that I wasn't conceived for three years after they got married because he couldn't find her in the bed.

Squeaker, just meander away. Some days I do that and other days I do the precis bit. (Can't remember when I did that but it may have happened.) Hope you have a great visit with the "friend" but try to check in with us - not too many details or I'll be jealous.

Gotta go and get my pork roast organized - we are having some friends in for a casual dinner. Nobody does roast with oven veggies anymore, it seems. I guess I'm quaint! Ha!

Catch you chickies alter.

mauvaisroux 06-14-2002 06:33 PM

Hello Everyone! :wave:

Good to see everyone is in good spirits! (Ruth, by this I don't mean Scotch).

They are repairing the stairs in the park this week and they are closed to the public...WAAH! The gods of exercise are frowning upon me :(

Ellis- I never claimed to be mentally competent, I'm just not taking meds for it :dizzy: but I will gladly accept the slim and beautiful part of that comment :lol:

Ruthxxx-ROFLAO! Boy, that certainly was a come uppance for *****y Drawers, if her dog graduates maybe you could give her some Pampers and a barf bag as a graduation gift! Did BD actually clean up the poop with her own two (highly manicured, I'll bet) hands?

All this talk of shortness- you are all making me feel like some amazonian freak!

Squeeker-meander away-we all do it eventually...It's a rite of passage in being an alternachick :lol:

Shel-Yeah Wings! I wasn't watching but yay anyway!
Glad to see you back! Don't fret over this week there is always Monday ;) at least that is what I always say...

Den-what a great story! My ancestors fled the french revolution and landed in Scotland. And the stories my parents tell me about growing up in Britain during World War 2...Sir Winston Churchill is one of my heroes...

Tiggerdiva-I wanted to go into social work when I was younger but I thought I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure and depressing things that you see-so I ended up working in law where I still get to deal with sad depressing issues in other peoples lives-go figure :p

See Ellis I am crazy I just use my warped sense of humour to deal with it hee! hee! :dizzy:

Hope you all have a great weekend and don't forget to do something nice for yourselves! I will post tomorrow...

:devil:

tiggerdiva718 06-16-2002 01:22 AM

Hi y'all! Did you miss me? I certainly missed all of you! Just a warning, though. This is probably going to be a long post!

I'm so glad the Wings won! Shel and Den, I hope you were dancing with me! I actually didn't get to see much of the game (:( ) because I was downtown having a blast. I stopped at a bar with some friends, and then we walked around downtown and celebrated.

Den: Thanks for the great stories! I love hearing those interesting tidbits that make us all unique. That's probably why I'm into social work! That's very coincidental that your mom was a school social worker because that's exactly what I'd like to do when I finish my masters next spring. Originally, I wanted to get my clinical psychology Ph.D, but because I decided that I wanted to work in schools, I figured a Master's in Social Work would serve me better.

I grew up on the Southwest side of Detroit. Some people say that East and West siders have nothing in common, but I do know where Cass is and I actually knew some people who went there. That's much closer to the West side, though, so maybe that's why.

Keep those stories coming because I look forward to them! We all have some kind of story to share, and that's why I love hearing them from all of you!

Squeak: Please don't feel bad about you depression discussion. I think a lot of what you said resonnated with us. (Well, it did for me anyways :p ) I appreciate that you are so in tune with yourself, and it really sounds like you have things under control. However, it must be hard to feel like you are dealing with this on your own and you put up a front for others. I hope that you have a good way to deal with things when you really get down and out, and I hope you know that you can always share with us.

I can especially relate to one particular thing that you said: You mentioned eating because you feel bad, but then you feel worse after you've ate. I think that for a while that was my biggest problem. I'm not sure that I'm completely over that, but lately I've reconnected with some of the other ways I deal with my problems, and I noticed that I've been eating less due to my feelings. It's a ***** of a cycle, and it's definitely one that is hard to break.

Ellis: What do I do??? Well, that is a bit of a story (although nowhere near as interesting as Den's family story!). As I mentioned earlier, I had been planning on getting a Ph.D in clinical psychology and becoming a researcher/psychologist. I changed my mind and decided to do school social work instead. Right now, I'm halfway through my master's at the University of Michigan. I'm pretty pissed, though, because had things (mostly money) been slightly different, I would be graduating in December instead of April.

Anyways, I am working a few different jobs right now. Primarily, I work at a domestic violence agency. Normally, I do presentations and crisis counseling for early elementary school kids on issues surrounding domestic violence, but because schools are out, I'm working some slightly different areas. For one, I am in a local police station to provide support, advocacy, and information for victims of domestic violence. I am also running a bunch of groups for kids of all ages.

Besides that, I am a director at a summer program for kids. During the school year, I do an after-school program with them, so I know them really well. Finally, I am a program evaluation analyist at an agency that does preventative work and works with adjudicated youth. This is part of my internship, but I get paid, so it's a nice fit for me! When my classes start in the fall, I won't be with that agency anymore, which I'm disappointed about, but I will start my internship at an elementary school where I'll be doing school social work!

I'm sorry that I went on and on, but I've been keeping myself busy, and it isn't often that people ask what I'm doing. Most of my friends are content to explain that I "work with kids"! Aren't you glad that you asked, though!

Mauvaisroux: Sorry to hear about the stairs! You're a very dedicated and committed person, and I have faith that you will find an alternative. How long will the stairs be out of commission? I hear you about not wanting to deal with everyone else's problems. It's not easy, especially because I have to work with kids. I'm pretty good about not taking it home with me. I process with a lot of co-workers and my boyfriend, so I feel like I'm able to get it out of my system. I must admit--when I see some kids in a bad situation, I have an incredible urge to take them home with me! Law is so interesting! What do you do in the legal system? Now that I'm at the police department, I find that my passion for learning about the law and interacting with it has grown tremendously! I spend most of my days in the court house, and I have learned so much. My minor in school is social policy and evaluation, so I find myself looking for opportunities to interact with a variety of policies, and this new aspect of my job has really given me that opportunity.

Ruthxxx: Congrats to Miss. Lucy! When does she start the next phase? Your posting really made me laugh--you have the greatest names for people. I must admit, that is one of my favorites--my boyfriend and I come up with little names like that for everyone who annoys us! A tip for the orange tan--mix the self-tanner with lotion. The lotion dilutes the mixture somewhat and makes it less radioactive-looking, and it is also easier to apply.

Okay, I'm sorry again that this posting was so long. My job is to listen to people all day, so when I get around friends, I tend to talk a lot to compensate! Thank you all for listening (well, reading) and I promise the next one won't be quite as long!

Tigger

mauvaisroux 06-16-2002 01:50 PM

Afternoon everyone!

Had a big movie weekend. DH and I rented a couple of horror movies on Friday night. we watched The Others with Nicole Kidman which was really good, very creepy without blood and gore factor. The other was called Bones with rapper Snoop Dogg in it...It was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Then on Saturday we had some friends over to watch a 1970's movie called The Black Godfather, it was hilarious! I love 70's movies-the hair, the clothes, the bad dialogue!:D
Then we watched Training Day with Denzel Washington..it was great..he played a baddie very well...not to mention is a dammned fine looking man;)

Ate mostly healthy this weekend but I have a planned pig out :ink: for tonight...I am taking my dad out for Indian Food as part of his father's day pressie.

Tiggerdiva-I work as a legal assistant, mostly civil litigation, a bit of family law. I used to work in an office that did mostly Family Law. Most of our clients were legal aid/Child Welfare and battered women. Quite a few of our clients had drug and/or alcohol abuse problems or mental health issues...it was very sad.
I didn't realise it was affecting me until after I had gone to another job and realised that my mood when I got home was very different than the last job. I tried not to take my work home with me but I found that I was depressed a lot during that time.
We also had one criminal lawyer there and I used to have to accept collect calls from jail from his clients. It was kind of weird knowing that you were talking on the phone to a total stranger in prison but most of them were very polite to me except for guy who was always started swearing at me when I told him the lawyer wasn't in...I was told by the lawyer that I could just hang up on him whenever he did that -so I did! :lol:

Well that's my ramble for today!
My DH just made me an omelet for lunch so I am off to devour it:D

Hope you all have a great day!

ellis 06-16-2002 04:24 PM

hello darlings

Happy Father's day to all of you who are in drag.
I just had a two hour nap. Woke sweating from a dream in which I was hitting some jerk (who looked suspiciously like Hugh Grant) with a suitcase because he'd locked me in a room with him. I must have lost 2 pounds.

Gee Mauvais, what a cozy weekend! It's the perfect weather for watching movies. I don't remember getting this much rain at once for years. Enjoy your Indian food with your Dad, you oinker. :lol:
Sorry to hear about the stairs. Yell at the construction workers and tell them to get a move on!

Tigger, you must have the patience of a saint. I wish there were more people like you in this world. My DH is incredibly patient. He worked as a T.A. for a couple of years with kids with mental/physical disabilities. Then he worked for 10 years with adults with the same "problems". Now he's working in a program initiated by the government. The group's job is to help mentally ill adults in working towards a healthier lifestyle. Their clients are very ill... many of them are/have been living on the street. With regular visits, psychological assessments, etc the clients are less likely to end up back in the hospital or on the street.
I'm glad you had fun celebrating! I suspect you would have had almost as good a time had the Wings lost. ;)

Ruth... miss *****y drawers got her come-uppance. hahahaha! That's hilarious!! I'm so happy for you. I don't know how you didn't laugh out loud. I would have been peeing my OWN pants laughing!
Listen sweetie, Scotch in the quantities that YOU drink I would consider medication!! :lol: (girls, I am TOTALLY teasing Ruth. She is NOT a drunk, nor is she a 15 year-old boy. She's just a frigging HOOT!!) Listen, you should see my garden. I'm worried I'm going to look out and it'll be underwater.

Shel... welcome back!!! Where have you been hiding? We just had a visit at the door from a friend with a new puppy. Oh, what a darling. A cross between a border collie and a pointer. She's fuzzy and white with a patch on one eye. I DO love dogs. I must remember not to get one, though.

Squeak, Den, where the heck are you? What's everyone doing for Father's day? My parents came here for an elegant breakfast cooked by moi. I managed to fake eating, and didn't overdo it. My little sis blew in like a storm on her way to brunch with her partner and his dad. She didn't stay to eat, just long enough to disrupt our breakfast, grab all the attention, and then blow out again. Aaaaaaargh!! I love her more than anyone, but sometimes she drives me right up the bloody wall!!

uh oh, water overload. Just had 6 cups... talk to you later...

squeaker 06-16-2002 07:58 PM

Hi! :wave:

a quick drive by post. I actually have a ton of energy so I want to make sure I do something before all I end up doing is sitting on my rear. :)

All your jobs seem much more interesting then mine. I do tech support for Human Resources at a bank. I pretty much sit on my butt and write programs that spit out reports. I currently am working on doing a tax update. woo hoo :p Sometimes it is really interesting but sometimes it just makes my head hurt.

And thank you guys so much for allowing me to ramble about my depression. :) A year or so ago I wouldn't even admit I had a big problem.

Did the family thing most of the weekend. We had 3 anniversaries to celebrate including a 40th. 17 of us went out to dinner. It took an hour to get a table big enough. I drank a big frosty, fruity drink and a few cheddar biscuits. By the time we actually sat for dinner I only at the salad, the potato and about 1/4 of the steak. I left before cake. :)

I will post something much more intersting and in depth tommorow.

:)squeak

mauvaisroux 06-17-2002 09:06 PM

Evening all!

Sigh...raining again today:(

I don't know if it's just the weather but I have been kind of down for the last week, usually I can shake myself out of it but I still feel blah today.

I think I am in one of my moods where I don't like my job, feel unfulfilled, wish I was able to do something else but can't figure out what that something else should be. Today at work I was daydreaming that I was suddenly independently wealthy and could tell everyone " Sod off! I'm going home and I'm not coming back! Ever! Nyah:p"

Way to go Squeeker! You did really well at your dinner:)

Ellis-I just hate it when someone breezes in and steals your thunder! :mad: a pox on your sister!
What's that about Ruthxxx? She's a hooting 15 year old drunk boy:?:

Tiggerdiva-I have thought about trying to get an office job, clerk or something like that with the police, I think there are some civilian jobs you can apply for. I was checking into applying for a civillian position with the RCMP but I'm not sure if I have enough qualifications. Your jobs sound really interesting and you seem to have found your calling:)

Den, Shel and Ruthxxx-where are you girls hiding out these days?Hope we hear from you soon!

I am off for a therapeutic candlelit bath while listening to Portishead-hopefully it will do me some good...not sure if I should be kicking myself out of this mood or if I should just revel in my melancholy until I am bored with it :D

Talk to you all soon!

tiggerdiva718 06-17-2002 11:49 PM

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm really close to my dad, but he had to work Sunday, so we'll be celebrating Dad's Day next week instead. I haven't been completely faithful to my plan so far. I feel like I'm getting my stuff under control, though, and that' s so reassuring to me. If I could just put forth a bit more effort, I'd be in a much better place.

Mauvaisroux: How are you feeling? I hope the nice bath washed away your blues. Sometimes I feel that way, too, and I tell myself that I'm having a mid-life mid-life crisis! I think it's normal to want something different for yourself, and especially to wonder the almighty "WHAT IF". It sounds like you had a nice weekend, though. There are days where I don't want to talk to anyone or listen to anyone else, and my boyfriend and I snuggle on the couch to watch a movie together. It's a nice end to a long week. Have you looked into that civilian position you mentioned? It sounds cool! I never knew how much I would love working in the police department until I spent a day there. I'm going to miss it in the fall when I will be abruptly moved back to schools!

Ellis: Thanks for telling me that I'm patient! That's so sweet! I'm not sure that it's altogether true, though! I just love what I do, and I'm pretty lucky to enjoy my career. Your DH sounds like a great guy. I have been considering getting my teaching certification to work with students with disabilities, and I have so much respect for people that work in the field. His current job sounds awesome! Before I worked with kids, I worked with adults, and somehow that's even more frustrating because adults tend to be set in their ways. How does he like his job? Good for him to give back to others in such a caring way!

Squeak: Congrats on making it through dinner! That could have been a potentially potent situation, and you breezed through it. I hope you are proud of yourself because I know that's not easy! And three anniversaries! WOW! You must be tired! I feel like I'm at the other end of the spectrum. A lot of my friends are getting married, having kids, and the like. I spend a good portion of my weekends at someone's shower, birthday party, wedding, or christening! I love it because it's nice to see everyone happy and loving!

Everyone else--have a great day! I will work harder tomorrow to stick to my plans, although I won't have time to work out.

I probably won't post again until Thursday because I'll be out of town for a conference until then. In the mean time, take care!

Tigger

Ruthxxx 06-18-2002 07:32 AM

Just a quick check-in. We finally have sunshine! I cannot believe the rotten rain we have had for the past 5 days - or was it 6? Our garden well is overflowing and the earth is just saturated. I have a bit of a pond out there but no duck or Canada geese in it yet.
Hope everyone is A-OK. Mauvais, I was in the same mood last night - just completely fed up with dogs and mud and rain and men - so I did the bath thing and went to bed. Life looks better this morning.
Family reunion the long weekend and I need to check out the graveyard for a few missing dates. Off for my walk with the two dogs. Retirement is great!

ellis 06-18-2002 07:54 AM

Ruth darling, you must be pretty desparate if you need to find dates in the graveyard. heh heh. Sorry. Very corny.
It'd better stay sunny today!! I've had it with this rain!
Ruth, didn't you just HAVE a family reunion a few months ago? Have fun!! Don't eat too much.

Mauvais, I hope you're feeling better. I'm sorry you've been down.
Why don't you write down a few goals for yourself re: possible change in job, etc. It often helps to see things on paper. And it's sunny today (knock on wood), so you'll be able to wear a flowing dress and a big hat and look BEAUTIFUL!!

Tigger, my husband loves his job! He was in a bit of rut with his last job, and was starting to burn out. This job has been really good for him. He's learned a lot of new stuff, renewed his sense of worth, and the really nice thing for our family is, he's much more understanding of my and our daughter's mental health "situations".
Unfortunately, for the first time in his life, my cool/calm/relaxed/laid-back husband is a LITTLE bit stressed with this work. He's starting to deal with that though, and is learning to let things go.
You've done a LOT of different things!! It sounds as though you're equipped to do anything you want!
I hope your conference goes well, and that you have a great time with your dad next weekend.

Squeaker, you ate well!! Good for you!! It's so difficult not to stuff down the food when you're out with others.
Hey, your job sounds cool! I'd much rather work with a computer than with people. :lol:
Re: the depression... ramble on, honey... we all do it. :)

Shel, how's the job? And the apartment? And the boyfriend? I hope you're doing well.

Den, how's your friend doing? Are you having a stressful week? Are you sitting shiva? Are you eating bacon?

have a lovely day, all
xo

dentrassi 06-18-2002 03:45 PM

Hi All!!!

First of all, to those of you who were contrite about long posts.......STOP!!!! We ALL do it, we need to blow off steam, and I for one enjoy reading those long posts!!!! And Squeak, most if not ALL of us here are depressed or deranged in some way or another, so all YOU are doing is proving how well you fit in!!:lol:

Ellis-Yes, things have been crazy here. DH and I went and sat shiva last night, and I went to the funeral on Sunday. My friend is holding up okay (kinda!) she was very close to her Dad, so even though the death was expected it has been difficult. I have been eating many pork products, including at the shiva. (joke!!) Actually, when DS#1's friend's grandfather died they had ham on the deli tray at the shiva. Some of the relatives were NOT amused!!! We went late, and the family had already had a meal, so I didn't eat there at all (YES!!), and DH, despite his best efforts, was unable to eat everything on the sweets table!! I would have to give him an A+++++++ for effort though!!!

Mauvairoux-I am like you. One of the reasons I decided not to go into the mental health field is that I definitely get too emotionally involved in things. By the way, I AM on meds, and I'm STILL not mentally competent!!! I hope that you are feeling a little better now, by the way. If you are thinking of changing jbs, do it!! It gets a bit harder as you get older and have more financial responsibilities. Also, everyone I know who has made a leap is happy with the results. Sometimes it is even worth a pay cut (especially if it is temporary) if your mental health improves!!

Ruthxxx-I LOVE IT THAT *****Y DRAWERS GOT HER COMEUPPANCE!!! Karma. By the way.......THANKS for rubbing your retirement in my face (GRRR!!!) :lol:
I know what you mean though, my Mom is having a GREAT time now that she is retired!!!

Tigger-I agree with you. I LOVE hearing people's stories. It is great to see the differences, but there are always strange similarities too. THAT is why I don't understand bigotry. We are all very different, but we are all the same too, and it is fun finding out where those differences and similarities are!!!

Squeak-My son would disagree with you. He MUCH prefers computers (or ANY electronics) to just about anything else. I meant what I said before too. If you stick around long enough you will see horribly long diatribes from me!!! Sometimes I'm mouthy and happy, and sometimes I'm mouthy and sad!!!

Shel-What's up? Still recovering from celebrating the Wings' win? I promise I'll be quiet!!! :devil:

We are taking off for a few days starting EARLY tomorrow, so I probably won't be back until Friday. You all help keep me strong. Thanks for being who you are, and thanks for being here!!

See you all soon!!!

mauvaisroux 06-18-2002 07:07 PM

Hello everyone! :wave:

today was a much better day all around:) Thanks to all of you for the moral support! :hugs: to all of you!

Ellis-:lol: :lol: :lol: That comment about Ruth looking for dates in the cemetary! You have a very morbidly droll sense of humour...I like that in a person.

Dentrassi-sorry to hear about your friend's Dad, it is difficult even when you are expecting it. You did great resisting the dessert tray-yay for you!

Ruthxxx-the bath thing really worked for me too...chased the doldrums away. I have the best bubble bath from Lush, it's called Blue Skies, smells divine, turns the water blue and reminds me of that old song..."blue skies, nothing but blue skies from now on..."

Tiggerdiva-I am planning on checking out a few websites this weekend to check out some opportunities. I have always been interested in law enforcement but i don't think I have what it takes to actually be a police person so I think I may check out civillian positions within those areas.

Shel-how is everything with you, is your house all Martha Stewart like and all or what?

Squeeker-hope everything is going well for you and again kudos for not eating cake!:) I am feeling guilty for eating a donut after dinner last night at my parent's place. I tell my mum that I am not eating things like white bread, pasta, rice and desserts, and what did we have? Fish with noodles and sauce, white bread, tea and donuts for afters! Arg!!!! How do I resist:shrug:

I am off to do some housework so I will have the weekend free>
Talk to you all tomorrow!

squeaker 06-19-2002 09:14 PM

hi!

Hey girls! :wave:

How is everyone? It is currently that time where I get *****ier then usual, eat everything in sight and gain an extra 5 pounds while I am sleeping. :p Actually I have been better then usual about the eating part. At least they were low fat Oreos... Other then that it is going ok. :) Booked my reservations for Lake Placid. 14 more days!!!! I can't wait *sigh* 12 days with my favorite person and also a lot of quiet time to read, think, and just veg while he is at work.

Mauvais - Don't feel bad about the donut. I can't ever pass up one from Tims. They are just the best donuts ever!

Den - I am not sure if I should be relieved or scared that we are all deranged. ;) Out of curiousity what exactly is shiva? Is it like a wake? I hope you are off having fun!

Ellis - I have a silly question why would Ruthxxx be a 15 yr old boy?

Ruthxxx - how do you stomache scotch????? I was drunk off my rear one of the times I tried it and it still tasted horrible!! Family reunions can be great. Except when you can't remember who everyone is and how they fit in. ;) I would always ask my grandmother who's who. At her funeral we were all lost, and wasn't sure who everyone was.

Tigger - In a semi-big family we end up together for some occasion at least once a month. And all my friends seem to be getting married also. I guess it's just that age. I have younger sis#1's baby shower next month.

Hope everyone is doing ok!

ellis 06-19-2002 10:25 PM

howdy all

Hey Squeak! You know, I can't even remember why Ruth would be... OH WAIT!! I remember now!! Ruth and I were meeting in real life for the first time. She was coming to my place for a visit. She jokingly said something to the effect of, "Wait until you see me, I'm really a perverted 15 year old boy!" :lol: Which of course, she is NOT!! She is this really cool, lovely 55 year old chick (55 Ruth?) with stunning white hair (keep away from that dye bottle), a killer laugh, and smiling eyes. She's about the size of one of those plaster garden dwarfs. (Okay, that's a joke, too) And she has the most BEAUTIFUL voice!! Geez. When I heard her on my answering machine, I thought, "Gee, I wish you WERE a 15 year old boy!!" :lol:
Your trip to Lake Placid sounds divine! I'm very glad you're going to have such a wonderful holiday... you deserve it.

Den, I KNOW you're having a great time! Eating, reading, sleeping, eating, reading, sleeping...

Mauvais, I'm glad you're feeling a little better. Wasn't it a lovely day? Unfortunately I had to take my daughter to a doctor's appointment, which involved driving down Laurier. Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!! I was in full road rage by the time we got to the doctor's office. (for those of you unfamiliar with Ottawa, Laurier Avenue; a big street smack in the middle of downtown, is under HEAVY construction.) My car was literally smoking. It's a good thing I couldn't pull over. I just kept driving and the smoke went away. :dizzy:
How's the job hunt going?

Ruth, Tigger, Shel... whatcha doin'? Ruth, I am SO frazzled. We got back from the psychologist's and things had gone really well for my daughter and then I was so stressed with the driving and stuff that I yelled at her, which I haven't done for about a year! :mad: Curses. I'm such an idiot. She very sweetly forgave me, and all is well again. But why do I get like that?

I'm going to have a nap on my hammock tomorrow afternoon. I've got a cozy mystery, and I should be out for the count before I can get through a single paragraph. I wonder if I can get away with never ever driving again?

nighty night!
xo

mauvaisroux 06-19-2002 10:36 PM

Hello everyone! :wave:

Had an okay day today...walked around at lunch time enjoying the sun...:)

Squeeker-I know what you mean about eating everything that isn't nailed down. I went through one of my binges last night...ate a perfectly good dinner and then snacked for the rest of the night...I had 2 pieces of cheese, some strawberries, a chocolate truffle and then proceeded to munch while making lunches for work the next day...:( oh well, back to it tommorrow.
And Tim's has the best donuts ever:T and I drink scotch too...have to- it's in the blood- along with my love of bagpipes, haggis and the urge to cry everytime I hear Amazing Grace:lol:

Ruth and Ellis-do you think scotch and dim sum would work well?

Den, Shel, Tigger-hope you are all doing well-you are probably out enjoying the sunshine.

I may not post tomorrow night as I am going to see Hubby's band play and will probably be out late.
Have a great night!

soozie 06-20-2002 01:19 AM

Hi ladies

hey ladies. I'm new to 3fc and was wondering why you call yourselves the alternachicks???

ellis 06-20-2002 07:34 AM

Hi Soozie!
What an embarrassing question. Why DO we call ourselves Alternachicks, Mauvais? Is it because we're essentially really nice people but with a few too many vices? We swear occasionally, (pretend that we) smoke fat cigars, drink whiskey, listen to alternative music (can we include classical in that category?), etc etc. I suppose we're just basically pretty non-judgemental. All-embracing. You know. We're cool. Totally cool. And a little over the edge, perhaps.
Lesbians are soooo welcome here. Most of us here would BE gay if it weren't for just one thing. Sex.
Any religion is okay with us.
As long as you're not a pedophile (yes, even if you're a Roman Catholic Priest). Or a mad rapist, a gun slinger, or a bigot, YOU ARE WELCOME AT ALTERNACHICKS!!
Oh, one more thing. If you're trying to lose 2 pounds to fit into that string bikini...? You can come in, but we may not like you quite as much as if you're a 300 pound babe with a bit of a weight problem.
You are most welcome.
Mauvais, you came up with the damned name... what's an alternachick? :D

Ruthxxx 06-20-2002 08:06 AM

Good morrow! I am feeling Elizabethan this morning. Anybody seen a nice codpiece lately? Maybe we could start a fashion trend and liven up men's fashion. From theatre costume making, I even know how to make a codpiece - and Elizabethan ruffs - and pointed shoes.

Soozie, hmmmmmm. I guess because we are all just slightly left or right of centre. Although there don't seem to be too many rights here. I do hope you and your partner feel free to join us. Ellis is dead on about the string bikini - we don't even allow thongs. (Do we, chicks?)

Ellis - you get frazzled because you are human. I can totally relate to your frustration when driving in construction. You know damned well that's why you yelled at M. I'm glad you two are OK now.

Today is Doctor day and I do not weigh close to 200 - is 204 close enough? Like Squeaker and Mauvais, I've been doing the snack bit - and not the low carb snack bit. Didja know that if you take two slices of brown bread and butter them and then sprinkle liberally with fake bacon bits, it tastes like a bacon sandwich. I became addicted to bacon sandwiches during the Ice Storm when I started cooking in the shelter at 5:30 a.m. It was a quick thing to make and to eat while I worked. Remind me to bore you all with my Ice Storm stories before I croak.

Mauvais, even I would not drink Scotch with Dim Sum! Unless it was a very early Dim Sum and I had not sobered up from the night before. By the way, hangovers get much worse as you get older. I'm so glad for us all that the Ottawa weather has changed - your morning walk to work must be great.

Lake Placid! Squeaker, I'm glad the timing will be right for you. It sounds like a great break for you. Hmmmm - I'm not far from there - maybe I'll sneak down and peek through the windows. I told you I was a 15 year old boy!

Den, sitting shiva brings back so many memories. OMG that sounds like an old lady talking! I grew up in a predominately Jewish area of Ottawa (Sherwood Drive area, Ellis and Mauvais) and had lots of Jewish friends. I got to know a lot about the culture - and also got asked out by Jewish boys. My parents always said no of course - maybe the guys were trying to make out with a schiksa (sp?)?

Tigger, I hope the conference went well and you had some FUN! How are you goning to celebrate Dad's day this weekend?

Shel - where are you at?

Got to go take a bath and tiddle up for Doc. Then into my gardening grubbies to plant some PLANTS - it's too darn late for the rest of my seeds so I graciously accepted my friend Lorraine's greenhouse dregs and will finish up with those. Must say she has damned good looking dregs - and free is a good price!

Enjoy your day - and Ellis - the afternoon nap in the hammock sounds idyllic. Enjoy!

soozie 06-20-2002 10:55 AM

thanks!!!

Ellis and Ruthxxx thanks for the warm welcome.
You sound like my kinda gals. Don't worry about the 3lb thing. That works my last nerve too. I'm working on 70 excess lbs. (and I'm only 5'1") But, hey fat chicks can wear thongs if they want to, can't they. I prefer cotton jockey brand, when I look at them I think of my mom and those huge cotton drawers she had, never thought I'd be wearing them :)
Well, today I ate some cereal for breakfast and capped off with two cookies but since I'm here I'm already motivated to be a conscious eater for the rest of the day and to focus on my arteries and spine and all those parts that are ultimately affected by the joys that my mouth seeks during the day.
Thanks again for the warm welcome ladies!!!
I'll be in touch!! Soozie

[email protected] 06-20-2002 07:23 PM

Hi, mind if I join you guys? I have been with another group, & they are great too, but in order to avoid as much work as possible I need to have new posts to read frequently!:lol:

I am a mother of 2, 3 if you count hubby, who tends to be the neediest of them all! Zach is 7, Alli is 5, hubby is 34 going on 2! I would like to say that I am 25, a size 2, & simply gorgeous, but I may actually meet one of you some day...so I am 32, size 12 & semi-gorgeous! I started out at 181, which was higher than I have ever even imagined I could be! I am now down to 153, with a goal of 135-125. (would love to be at 125, but will be happy if I can get to 135) So far the weight had been dropping off pretty well, the last few weeks have gotten a little tougher. I now tend to stall with no loss at all for 4-5 days, then will drop 2 pounds over the next 3. Still not bad, but I am a daily weigher, so I like to see the scale dip even just a tad every morning.

Ok that pretty much covers me! You guys look like a lot of fun, so I look forward to hanging out with you...if you will have me!

ellis 06-20-2002 07:53 PM

hi Christina...
A word of warning... you may never actually lose any more weight if you participate in our discussions. Apart from Mauvais; the skinny redhead down the street, we all pretty much live life to its fullest... we lose 2 pounds, congratulate ourselves, and then gain back 3 the next day.
If you're willing to stall though, you are MOST welcome to join us!! :lol:
Zach and Alli, what beautiful names!
I've gotta run... we're watching planet of the apes... but WELCOME!!!
back later..

squeaker 06-20-2002 08:11 PM

Christina & soozie - Welcome to the nuthouse girls! I have only been here for a week or two but it is great fun. :)

Ruth & Ellis - you 2 are just too funny! I love the whole 15 yr old boy thing. and if we can pretend - I want to be a tall, skinny & gorgeous!
and Ruthxxx - 204 is definately close enough.
Ellis - which version of Planet of the Apes? haven't seen the new one and wanted to know if it was any good..

Mauvais - I totally understand the bagpipes thing (there is this HOT guy in a local loud cletic rock band who wears a kilt and plays bagpipes), not sure about the rest of it though ;) Esp. the haggis.....

Today was, uh, a trying day. Didnt go overboard on the food, I didn't have time. Lunch was a pb&j sandwhich at my desk while I try to get stuff done. :p

13 more days!!!! :D

ellis 06-20-2002 11:37 PM

The last version, Squeak. It was 12 bucks (Canadian), so we bought it. The kids will watch it about 40 times. And DH and I will watch it again in 40 years time.
Well, it's not on a par with the others. The story is weak, the "eery" effects are not there, and the characters aren't particularly compelling (although Helena B.C. is a damned fine actor). But what the ****. It's sci-fi, right? A fun flick. And besides, I hate it when people say, "well you're younger", but you're younger; Squeak, so maybe it'll appeal to you more than the old ones. But don't get me wrong... I DESPISE Charleton Heston. He is such a toothy *******. I'd like to knock his teeth right into the back of his head. Who the **** does he think he is? Moses? Does he have to play Moses in every damned movie?!?!
Oh, the apes moved better in this one. And actually, the general (Thayer?) was very good.

I'm glad you like it here, and if you can be tall, skinny and gorgeous, then so can I. :lol:

Mauvais, where are you?
Ruth, how was your doctor?
Calling all cars, come in please.

[email protected] 06-21-2002 05:28 AM

HI everyone! Thanks for the welcome! I will be happy to join you, how about though I keep with the dieting until I hit 125, then I can stall?;)
I have an alterior motive though! My Mother In Law, the wicked woman that she is, made the comment that I will never lose weight so why bother. OK I have been the chronic yo-yoer, but would it kill her to just keep her trap shut? Anyway, I guess I should be grateful, most people imagine themselves thin to keep motivated, I keep an image of her with shock on her face when she sees me skinny to keep me going!
Well I better get in the shower if I want any peace in there this morning, if I don't the kids will be up, & suddenly there are 2 faces looking in begging you to hurry up!

soozie 06-21-2002 06:04 PM

hi

Hi girls. I had a good day and a bad day...I ate lots of chocolate, think I'm premenstral but I went to the gym for the second time this week. yeah!!!

Christina, welcome, as you may have read I'm a total newcomer here myself.

Squeak, thanks for your note on my thread! I guess because I put the "L" word in it some people are afraid to respond but, I'm patient :)

I'm so pleased with myself that I exercised today! My gym is great. Its a gym for old people and fat people. Actually they say they are a "40+ gym specializing in older people and in weight management". But, honestly, isn't it just faster to say, old people and fat people!! I like it because when I go there I feel so comfortable. There are some real big people in there and some folks in their 70's who make me feel like a youngster.

Well, ladies, I'm so glad that it is Friday. I'm having a delicious dinner of salmon from our favorite japanese restaurant. My daughter and partner are picking up dinner right now.
My little girl loves cucumber sushi, she's so avant garde.
Have a good weekend!!!Soozie

soozie 06-21-2002 06:19 PM

Moses

By the way Ellis, I can't stand that Charlton Heston either, he does really think that he is Moses!!!!!!!!