Alterna-September Chat

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Here we are in September chicks... and I can show my embarrassed face to you all and know I am not judged, but I commit myself to posting here daily now to get myself back on track.

How's everyone doing?

I turned 40 yesterday. How utterly depressing. Not the age. Not the number. Just... well... that I kept saying "before I turn 40" and I've not really managed anything. I made a pact with myself last week that I am going to quit my gym, that I never go to, to save me €70 a month and work out at home. Then I fell down the stairs (while on a weekend away in Berlin!! ugh!) and messed up my ankle - AGAIN. It just seems there is always something.

and to my dear Jan - sorry I haven't written you back yet. Shame we did not get to meet, but we really should plot something out before the end of the year. Do you do any of the Christmas Markets? Can you get up to Cologne easily? What if we met there?

I'm not giving up, chicks, but I am frustrated. I really need a change of focus.
  • hi V -- welcome "back." Smooches and very gentle hugs to your poor ankle -- that's so frustrating when you hurt yourself (and not even in a fun way, like "oh, I broke my leg skiing at Vail, what a bore") and that ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE makes it hard to work out. We hear ya, baby.

Remember what you said that I found so helpful (and still do)? "it's important to plan" Maybe things have been so hectic for a bit that you couldn't stay on track -- and even Superwoman couldn't have stayed on track -- but that's okay. You can always make a new plan that you CAN stick to, even if it's gentle and slow.

Don't kick yourself! (We'll do that when you need it!) You are so worth it and we are in it with you for the long haul.

Hope things are well for you in the non-weight less parts of life: sweetie, kids, animals, work, spiritual wellbeing, and so forth. Stay in touch.

xxoxooxoxoxoxxx,
    anita
  • V - I've always refused to do the "Before I turn XX" because I feel that it always sets people up for failure. You simply don't know what else will come up in life that gets in the way of certain goals we have.

I certainly have goals, but my main focus is on living a happy life day to day.

Don't beat yourself up on the "I should have done this by now!" stuff. You are so young and have plenty of life to chase your dreams and meet your goals.

September has started off pretty good for me. I've been sticking to my calories and exercise. I have a goal of wanting to be able to jog a mile straight. When I first started changing my lifestyle I could barely jog for 30 seconds. Yesterday I jogged 3/4 of a mile straight. Pretty happy about that. That mile is just around the corner.
  • I'm trying to stay positive post surgery, I can't even get on that dang treadmill till next week and maybe the elliptical too. I'm not a take it easy kind of girl. *pouts*

Velveteen: ankle injuries suck! they can ruin you for life if you dont take proper care of them. Take care of yours.

Motomichelle: are you jogging outdoors, indoor track or on a treadmill? sometimes changing it up a bit will get you that extra push to finish the mile. I know I could never do a mile of running on a treadmill but if I do an outdoor track I surprise myself.

My goals for september are to get below 179.9 and stay there and keep going...I got a good start. Stepped on the scale at home and it said 181, came to work and the hall scale says 179.5 (and that was fully clothed). I'll have to maintain it for at least three days before I change the ticker. So, my scales are a bit different, the home scale I'm butt neked, at work I'm in scrubs usually except today I wore jeans just to throw people off a bit.

Oh, and I interviewed for a new job today. I'm sick of my old one, actually, I HATE IT right now. the new one will be like, super duper harder and longer hours and better pay plus a huge benefits package. Hope I get it. Light a candle for me if you do that sort of thing otherwise send me some job gettin' vibes.

Today I have a mini goal. I must figure out if I have a bladder infection or if my surgery did something bad to my nether regions because I don't know I have to pee until its a flippin emergency situation and thats not normal for me. send me some good vibes on that one too. boy am I a needy biotch or what today, eh?
  • happy september all! My kids are either in school or starting on monday!!!!!!
    Velveteen, I knew I liked you from the get go... you and I have the same birthday! (I turned 38 on the 3rd) not reaching your before you turn 40 list just means that youve been doing some other stuff in the mean-time... Just re-evaluate and make a new one! back from the beach and missing the sand and sound of the waves, *sigh* Whats the job Ghost? good luck!
    Be good girls, Missy
  • customer service rep for a shipping company
    the "boss" emailed me non work or interview related stuff today...? he's doing a 150 mile ride for MS and he emailed me the link to donate to teh cause. Does that mean he likes me? or my gettin the job is dependent on my donation?
  • Anita thank you so much. you are so, so right. the thing with falling is that everyone knows I'm a klutz anyway... one of my first weeks at work I was going to get on the bus, talking to a colleague when suddenly I dropped out of her sight - bam,tripped over myself and on the ground. I make jokes about it, but honestly, I'm so tired of being klutzy and I KNOW it's because I have way too many other things on my mind and I don't concentrate well. I need to chill out.

So, I told everyone that I fell down the stairs and the FIRST thing they ask is "Were you drunk?" Ha! If only! At least then I would have DESERVED it and without sympathy.

I have to go back to planning, it really is the ONLY way.

Thanks a lot for reminding me why I come back here!

Michelle - I really try not to give myself time limits (or age) but I think it's more of a denial thing. I won't go into it (because I try very hard to stay in the present) but there are just so many things that I reflect on now that I know I could have made better choices and decisions on. But, OK, I didn't, so here I am and I have to make the best of this life that I have!

Good for you for your jog! I aspire to do this as well! I was just talking to Ron about starting walking working up to jogging together when I was away about a month ago in London (he joined me for the weekend). With this ankle, that's on the back burner for now... but it's in my mind!

Ghost - I hear you on the treadmill and elliptical avoidance, though I'm sorry you had surgery. I mean, jeez, and I complain about my ankle Hang in there!

Great goal for September and I will definitely say a few chants (but refrain from dancing to the job gods at this point, in case of further injury) for a new job for you!!

Did you figure out if you have a UTI or not yet?

and about the job... hahaha, better make a donation just in case!

totally curious which shipping company... but you don't have to tell me... it's just that I worked in logistics about half of my working life!

Missy - no way!!! Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

I love finding out I have birthday sisters!!!

I have definitely been thinking about a new list. More like setting some goals for myself. Really, I never have had any goals or dreams except what I have already accomplished (learn a second language, live in another country, travel). I kept in denial all along the way things like being financially responsible, deciding if I wanted kids, settling down a bit, etc., ok, ok, nothing too super conventional, but I guess I'm just scared now of what's going to happen to me when I am at retirement age... anyway, I digress! Too much thinking!!

Did I tell you guys yesterday? Stayed on my plan and was 20 for 20 points so perfectly within program. Today is no exception - there's even birthday cake and B&J's ice cream in the fridge and you know what... I don't even WANT it!
  • so Missy... by the way - I'll be in Seattle in November!!
  • V- I'll tell you which company if I get the job. I can't wait to hear. I was at their office for a little more ppwk last night after I got off work here and all the guys there are so much fun. We only have ONE token male around here and the rest are catty women.
    I changed my ticker. I couldn't stand it saying 181 when I know I'm 179 on the home scale and today 177.9 on the work scale. I'm going with the higher number JIC.
    So, my body post surgery is playing tricks with my mind. I've been taking vicodan at night to help me sleep through the cramps that I've been having and YES, I did end of having a bladder infection, most likely from being cathed during surgery. Vicodan makes me barf. So if I throw up my dinner, say, half an hour after I eat it should I re-eat something? or have I pretty much absorbed enough calories to be safe?
  • Velveteen, I posted in your other post. (sounds a little like "allow myself to introduce... myself) I am so stoked for you to come to seattle!
    Ghost, I HATE vicodan! have you tried taking half a pill, letting it settle and taking the other half like an hour later? Usually that helps me. They whole fishing for donations makes me feel creepy. Hopefully he is really passionate about the cause. Check out the web-site and see if they post the donors, there is usually 2 or 3 anonymous'ssss. So, you could always, maybe go that route. lol
  • new here
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Mimi and I'm new here. I posted a long intro in the 300+ club forum. I wanted to link it here but as a newbie, I cannot post links. Here it is:

Quote: Hello,

I am 38.5 years old and I'm sick of being fat. I am not sure how much I weigh...last time I stepped on the scale it read 360 and I'm sure I've gained some more since then. My joints hurt, my knees hurt, my feet hurt, my lower back hurts. I have no energy. Going up one flight of stairs leaves me embarrassingly winded. I'm too young for my body to feel so old. I'm ready for a new life.

I have a few things I'm working on along with weight loss - fighting off depression and dealing with hormones from early menopause. Neither of these have been easy to deal with as I'm having weird reactions to standard medications prescribed for these conditions. So...this is less a plan to "lose weight" and more a plan to regain my body and my life back. I started today.

I have what I call a Self-Care Plan with very concrete goals: vitamin and herb regime for the hormones and depression, and water, oxygen (exercise), stretching and healthy food for a healthy body. Didn't do too bad for my first day - water intake was lower than I wanted but I did manage to take all my vitamins and herbs and, I did 20 minutes of very slow biking on my exercise bike and lots of gentle stretching. One day at a time.

I have read these boards on and off for a while and I'm impressed by everyone's generosity of spirit and support of one another. I could use a heap of support as I go through teaching myself new habits. Hope I can offer some in return.

:-)

Mimi

I wanted to say hi here since I totally identify with the "alterna-chick" label.

It's late and i'm tired so I'm logging off. More soon.

Mimi
  • Ghost - I've been running on a treadmill only. That's a great idea to mix it up, though. We have a new park by my house with a 2 mile track (it has markers which is nice). I may try to get in a mile there.

V - Ok, yes I know what you mean. If I don't make goal lists I often just keep pushing stuff off and never do it. So I understand where you're coming from. In fact I need to make a house to-do list for the remainder of this year.

I have a co-worker that has told me "I wanted to have a perfect family with 2.5 kids and be a millionaire by time I was 30. I'm 29 already and don't have any kids and no where near that money!" He's quite serious and upset about this. That kind of goal making by age really drives me batty.

Welcome, Mimi!
  • I am so hungry I could eat my keyboard. I hate long work days.
  • Hey Ghost - I hear ya, the last few days at work have been long ones for me not to mention physically and mentally exhausting. I plan on vegging out on Saturday and then going to a flea market on Sunday to pick up some books to add to my pile of "to - reads" to get me through the fall and winter.

Welcome to the forum Mimi!

I have just gone over my calendar for next month and noticed that I have something booked for every weekend! Agh! No rest for the wicked! On a good note I just picked up tickets to see Apocalyptica!
  • This sucks... Im fairly certain I broke my toe yesterday. I was doing some squats and leg lifts (working wonders on my tushy) and when I came down with my left leg I lost balance and #@*WHAP!!! A crush unlike any other toe stub or bang or crack. This puts a serious dent in my weight loss, get fit, tone and firm plan. I've tried walking a bit and I limp for a while, then I get gutsy (or maybe its lazy) and start walking more on it and limping less and then, Ah, the pain hits again. This sucks.
    Missy