Alternachick chat - January 2008

You're on Page 4 of 6
Go to
  • Went to the gym last night after work, then to a friends house to play Guitar Hero III. Fun game!
    Today I am heading to Truro for my uncles funeral, so quite a diverse set of emotions this weekend. All part of life I guess.
    Check in with you all later.
    Hugs
    Virginia
  • I was playing GH III last night too! I love all of the guitar hero games! And if you play drums on Rock Band - it's like a workout all on it's own!

I'm down another pound this week. Would've been more except TOM decided to rear his ugly head on Friday - and brought along killer cravings that I just couldn't ignore!!! I'm back on track today though.
  • Well, finally got moved in yesterday, and today am already missing my mother's house. My sister doesn't have a whole lot in the way of healthy food, and its been raining so much today that I couldn't scout out the neighborhood on a walk. Not that that's really an excuse for not exercising, or the fact that my TOM came back today after a nice little hiatus of 2 months.

Tomorrow I'm going to get back on track with my schoolwork, book research, and most importantly, exercise. Oh, and grocery shopping. Its a must.
  • mangokitty - way to on the the 3lbs!

I wasn't feeling to well last night at 11 pm and woke up with the flu.

On a good note I did watch Blade Runner on the weekend - I had picked up the new DVD release collector's edition around Christmas- it was awesome!
  • Oh man, we watched that at my house this weekend as well, along with an Alien movie marathon.

It's good times and science fiction-tastic.
  • Ugh - I'm still working - it's now going onto hour 10 - BLAH!!!!
    At least I got to have dinner with my family! So hopefully I can get most of this done soon so that I can workout. I guess it doens't help if I'm on here chatting huh?

Ok - today was good - yesterday was good.. only 5 more days to be good this week - right?? Talk to you all soon - probably again tonight!
  • Hi all! Storm day for the kids here today. I am secretly hoping work calls to cancel me today too. That would be nice to not have to go into work and lounge around in robe all day. One week, 19 hours, 7 minutes and 5 seconds. 77 cigarettes not smoked, saving $31.00. Life saved: 6 hours, 25 minutes.
    Check in later! Have a good day all.
    Hugs
    Virginia
  • Virginia - on the no smoking! I guess I never really calculated everything - but I quit on September 24th. It's not easy - and I still have cravings. Actually I wrote in my blog about it last night. 99% of the time I'm good and don't have a problem - but when I'm working at home after my daughter goes to bed - the cravings hit hard. And usually that's when I go to the cupboard and grab carbs. Grr I was over my cals by 300 yesterday because of this!

But I guess if I was to figure it out - I smoked 3 1/2 packs a week - at $5 a pack would be: $17.50 a week... and it's been 16 weeks - so $280 that I should've put in a savings account!
  • ug, This no energy thing is killing me. For the past two mornings i've woken up at 5:45 to exorcise. but instead i reset the allarm and throw my *** back in bed. ::sigh:: I MUST BREAK THE CYCLE! I'll exercise tomarow morning. I WILL! ooooor... um.... No computer for the day! yea, that should do it!
  • Hello, everyone! I have been gone from the board for a very long time, but I am looking forward to getting to know some of you who are here now. :-) I am 36 years old, married, with 2 teens at home. I homeschool and work from home, so it is easy to just sit all of the time instead of being active. I do have a few health concerns, but I am determined to give myself the gift of a healthier lifestyle. I have just started the "Best Life" program as I feel this is something I will be able to stick with long-term.

Meshell
  • Meshell - It's nice to have you... just because you said you want to get to know us - I'm the chattiest person on here! I'm 27 (almost 28) and I have a 6 year old at home (well she'll be 6 on the 19th) I love being a mom. I've always been overweight - but I'm working on that - and changing my complete perception of food. ok enough about me - i look forward to getting to know you!
  • Greetings from Bangkok!

I've been reading through some of the threads here, and I definitely think this is the place for me. Not that I've ever particularly catagorised myself as "Alternative" per se - but I'm an arty, bisexual geek girl busy travelling the world in very big hats and floor-length skirts, with a small cat in tow (who I picked up out of the gutter in an oasis in the sahara). I'm perfectly sanguine about being considered eccentric or odd or whatever - really, I pretty much think that anyone who finds my clothes/points of reference/habit of wandering around singing to myself/lovely collection of handbags (today is a Batman one. It is one of my favourites) comment-worthy really can't be terribly interesting themselves. But apparently quite a few people do. Anyway, I like being me, and I'm not interested in following fashion trends or what have you - I like retro and vintage things, with pirate wench as my default position. Although now that I live in Thailand I'm thinking I need more fabulous Chinese outfits, and have already got a rather magnificent CheongSam thingy with trousers made by my tailor.

Oh, sorry - also, I'm not good at brevity. At all. Even a little bit. Um. But hello! I'm terribly impressed and inspired by the progress you folks have already made - these ticker things are fantastic. Meanwhile, I have decided that 2008 is The Year I Stop Being Fat.
  • broadabroad-LOVE the username.
  • Oh man, back to school today.

School is what kills me. I'm in pharmacy school working on a duel Pharm D/ PhD. By the time I get home, my brain's exhausted from thinking and I tend to just fall on the couch/bed and not want to cook anything. Before pharmacy school (when I was just doing grad school), I did lots of food prep on the weekend. Now, I tend to spend lots of weekend time in the library/lab.

The plan is to leave incredibly intricate details for the husband to cook dinner. He's an physicist so the idea of a recipe terrifies him, but if I break it down into more "laboratory protocol" styles he manages.

Main goal: Do not let school stress lead me to the vending machine for lunch/dinner. Bag of chips does not equal a meal.
  • Hello again,

i've been away a couple of days because work has been crazy. When I've worked a few 10, 11, 12 hour days in a row I start to feel completely out of control of my own life. Dirty dishes pile up, I run out of fresh foodstuffs & can't get to the store, and worst of all, I don't walk my doggies! My only exercise since Sunday has been dashing from one meeting to the next.

But, today I got home at 7PM and took my babies for our usual 3 mile walk. Tomorrow I may have time to stop and at least pick up some bananas & milk and I will, I will, I willl, yes, I will take for dogs for a walk first thing in the morning!

On Saturday I have a 5K race...and I've only run like 3 or 4 times in the last month! I'm going anyway and I'll just do my best. In the past when I've found even just 3 miles terribly difficult, it's been good incentive for me to get motivated and run more frequently.

Haven't been on the scale since Saturday, so who knows where I am with that. I have gone to bed hungry though, so that's good right?

Well, hope you are all doing well this January!

And you guys can keep your snakes & spiders to yourselves thank you very much!