Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Shopping...

I wanted to share some of my favorite places to drool over clothes. I am putting this in Alternachicks, because the clothes are a little artsy and off the beaten path. Expensive, but the fabrics and art, etc. in them are divine in style and quality-these are the pieces that you can have and wear for 10 years...and they still look great. That sort of thing. They are also almost free sized-one size will fit 2-4 standard sizes, so they are great as you lose weight, they will still fit, unlike a pair of jeans.

http://www.tiendahogals.com/

http://www.barclaystudio.com/
Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

wow thanks for sharing! I actually just said on Monday that I was bummed because I wanted some cute "hippie" clothes to wear & haven't seen any and was kinda scared to go into any of the downtown shops because I don't want to find out nothing will fit me. Barclay studio is just what I had in mind!! Awesome.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #3  

The clothes are expensive, but SOOOO worth it. I would rather pay $100 for a pair of awesome pants that fit me through 3 sizes, than spend $100 on three pairs of jeans...none which fit well.

Sometimes if you go to Ebay, and punch in "Blue Fish" sometimes there is used Blue Fish clothing on there, too for cheaper. Just check your size at Barclay Studio, and go!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #4  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Wow! Cool. Thanks. I will have to save for some new clothes! I've been putting it off, since I'm only going to get smaller.

Jax
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #5  

I have decided that I HAVE to have a pair of these pants from Tienda Ho Gals:

http://www.tiendahogals.com/pants/08.html

I am just trying to decide if I want basic black, or something funky-they have some mottled dye colors as well in the color choices.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #6  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

For me - I'd get something funky. But that's 'cos I don't have any of their stuff and most of my interesting clothes are either too big now or worn out.

I LOVE their mottled tie dye colours. My wish list starts with this

http://www.tiendahogals.com/dress/01.html

either in the purple as shown, or in the mottled brownish colour they call maple. But it will have to wait until we have some $$ (on the other hand my birthday is in November, perhaps I should print out the page and leave it around... )

Jax
Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #7  

I love that dress, too!!!!!!! The purple is really fabulous! My birthday is in October, so I am getting a list to lay around as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #8  
Pending Email Confirmation

on the pants - i think a teal or jade color would be great.

i found a skirt i loved on the blue fish site... then died when I saw the price. If only I had the$$$
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #9  

Blue Fish is really, really expensive...so you have to balance it out with other cheaper pieces. I have a pair of their black leggings pants with the painted designs on the calves/ankles...and they were about $80+, but I wear them under babydoll dresses, under skirts with Mary Jane shoes, etc.

They look great-and I balance out the price by making some of my own clothes (I do seamstressing and costume making for part time work), and getting a lot of stuff at Goodwill, or on clearance at regular stores. So...I justify it that way.

My problem is, if I go to Lane Bryant, or Wal-mart, or the mall or ANYWHERE really-and buy and outfit like jeans and a blouse...I don't really like it so well so it doesn't get worn much, or the jeans don't fit perfectly, yadda yadda yadda...

Give me a great piece that I love, and I'll wear it to death. I know if I buy a pair of those scarf palazzo pants that I'll wear 'em until they fall apart.

Also-I like to remember that I am supporting artists who own their own business when I buy something from Blue Fish, etc. I know that it wasn't made in another country at a sweat shop, and that's why I can get it for $7.00 at Wal-Mart. Sad, but true. It is something to think about.

Some people, when they ask me for a quote on a costume or clothing article, are taken aback by the price. I am making a pair of pants right now, that have batik patchwork strips down the legs for accent. It took me a couple of hourse just to prewash, and measure/cut out all of the 5" squares to make the patchwork. Then I had to sew all of the patchwork squares together and press out the seams after each one-so I am already 3+ hours into the project, and the pants themselves aren't even being stitched together yet. If you work at McDonalds and get minimum wage...how much do they pay for 3 hours of work? By the time I actually sew the pants together, get them all hemmed and done-I will have about 6 hours of work time into them, plus cost of materials.

This particular pair cost me $18 in materials...so if I priced them at $30, I would only be making $2 an hour for my work. They have to be priced more expensively to justify making them.

That's something to think about when you see the prices of artsy stuff.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:43 AM   #10  

Wow! I love the Blue Fish site! Thanks for sharing! I'd never heard of them before.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #11  

They are fabulous-there are women who collect Blue Fish, just like you would collect Longaberger baskets/Vera Bradley purses/etc.

They collect pieces from each year and collection name, etc.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #12  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thanks for these links, Aphil. I love edgy and comfortable styles like these. *digs in purse for credit card*
jo
Old 08-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #13  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

What beautiful clothing! And the prices aren't that bad - there is a store where I live that carries a similar style but not as organic and those pants would cost about $265.00.
Closed Thread