3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Over Age 50 Chit Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/318486-over-age-50-chit-chat.html)

Jane 02-01-2020 09:48 AM

Over Age 50 Chit Chat

Hello!

We dieters/health seekers “of a certain age” have special needs and concerns, so please feel free to join in with me on this thread.
I have battled my weight most of my life, and am a past moderator here. Although I am in my 60s, I have not given up! Several times I have reached my goal weight, only to have regained. At this point, I am still 65 pounds under my highest weight, but I want to lose around 30 more. I don’t have a specific goal in mind at this time, but I will know it when I reach it.

Please join me and share your concerns, joys, support, and ideas,

Wannabehealthy 02-01-2020 04:02 PM

Hi Jane. I remember you. Welcome back!

Jane 02-01-2020 08:34 PM

Thank you! It’s been awhile. ☺️

Jane 02-03-2020 09:22 AM

I find that I do best with watching portion control of “regular” food. But there seem to be a lot of lower calorie options out there. What are some of your favorite lite/diet foods you buy on a regular basis?

Wannabehealthy 02-03-2020 10:05 AM

I also do best with portion control, but it's hard for me. I find that I will finish whatever food is available, portions big or small. And it's there's more left, I will go back for seconds even thought I am not hungry. So this is something I have to work on. I try to cook only the amount we are going to eat, but you can't do that with things like roast. I buy the smallest one, but still it's more than we will eat in one meal.

I don't buy many lite/diet foods. I would rather eat less than give up flavor. I can use fat free or 1% milk, because I actually like the taste better than full fat. I do find that filling up on lots of vegetables keeps hunger at bay, and the fiber is healthy.

I have stopped eating after dinner, most days, and that bit of overnight Intermittent Fasting is helpful, too.

ange82much 02-03-2020 10:37 AM

Hi Jane :wave:
Calorie control is my thing, although i don't actually measure any more. I love a big plate of food, so my normal technique is to fill the plate with veggies (actually i like to eat from a bowl usually) then do a small 'portion control' of whatever the 'normal' meal is on top (aiming for plenty of protein and not too many carbs) - that way i get to eat plenty of volume but not too many calories. I don't bother with the lite/diet foods either. And also the same as Wannabe, i don't eat anything in an evening, so would normally go minimum 6pm to 8am calorie-free. I do get through a lot of veg though! Guess you know what works for you though since if we're in this thread we've been round the block a bit :broc: Well done being 65lb down :)

Jane 02-03-2020 11:45 AM

Wannabe, when we have something for dinner that I really love, I like to portion out some for lunch the next day. That’s my way of getting seconds and still staying on program. I totally agree with you on eating less, rather than giving up flavor. I’m proud of you and anybody else who is able to stop eating after dinner. I have to eat something in the evening or I can’t sleep.

Ange, same kudos to you for not eating in the evening!! I like lots of veggies, too. Green beans especially have saved me many times. 😝 Salsa is one of my favorite foods for a little zip, but I try to watch the sodium.

I do love the Yasso frozen treats once in awhile.

Jane 02-08-2020 10:48 PM

I wish all (anybody?) who read this much success in your goals. ����

April20 03-29-2020 05:05 AM

What a great idea to portion out next days lunch instead of going back for seconds!

keikoasmom 10-22-2023 01:34 PM

There is so much good information! I hope more people come back here and post!