Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/178.4/165

Height: 5'10"

Hello Glynne

I kinda started last August at 250 something but I didn't get serious about it until I started Medifast Nov 1st at 237. I started transition in July at 172 and now Im in Maintenance. So 65 pounds down on Medifast. But my weight changes daily. I did make it down to 170 a couple of times so Im counting 67 pounds.

Last edited by Phaedra; 08-30-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #17  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Well, I finally got out there and walked today. 1/2 an hour. I'm way out of shape. I went with my walker because my balance isn't good and I get tired real easy. I set my timer for 15 minutes and walked as far as that would take me, then sat down on my walker (it is the kind that has a seat on it) and rested for a few minutes, then headed back. I was pretty slow when I first started out, but picked up some speed on the way back. It was only about 60*, so that felt nice. I went out before breakfast or taking my meds or drinking my water. I didn't want to need the bathroom when I wasn't near to it. I found an app for walking ~ the Under Armour and put it on my phone. It tracks your distance, how long you walked, how many calories you burned, how many steps you took. I really like it. It even makes a map of your route. I should think to use it more often ~ like even when I am shopping or what ever, but I don't think of it until I am doing it intentionally for exercise. Also, because of the rheumatoid arthritis, sometimes I get tired real easy, so it helps to have that seat on the walker along with me so I can rest a little if I need to.

Hope all is well with you all.

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #18  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/166.2/154

Height: 5'6"

Great first steps Gayle! The more you use the app, the more it becomes habit. If you have an iPhone, the health app (with the heart in a white box) also automatically tracks your daily steps if you carry your phone around. I've been using an app to track all my food intake. I really like it. I'm the only one who sees it but I find it to be a positive reinforcement to stay on track, or to see if I've messed up somewhere.

I love the back to school time of year. Even though my kids are long grown up, I find September to be a great time to start anew. So here's wishing everyone a great start to a new you today!
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 182/130/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm so glad we've got an active conversation going. I made my goal but it's fluctuating a bit, which is normal for me.

My waist hasn't gone down as much as the rest of me, which I suspected would happen. I was hoping to wear shirts tucked into pants but I still have that pesky overflow when I wear jeans that fit otherwise. Ha.
Old Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 PM   #20  

I wonder if the waist is because of our age. Also I don't have rolls. Mine is just really round. I havent tried hard to lose more cause I don't want to be one of those skinny old broads that looks like an olive on a toothpick.

Then again after the problems Ive had with hair loss Im starting to wonder if it might be some of the food Ive been eating. TMI. Ever since I went on this diet Ive been really tootie.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:00 AM   #21  

I've been tootie as well, Phaedra! haha Fine when you are at home...but out in public?

Yes, I'm thinking the waist thing is a combo of age and the fact that I was obese and everything just expanded and now won't contract again. Ha.

I am doing some old-fashioned waist exercises and trying a bit of stomach muscle toning. It can't hurt. I have the rolls, which make it odd that I can wear a four jean but can't wear a shirt tucked in because it looks silly.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #22  

Yes Biddy fine at home. Trouble is it comes out in public too. Makes you want to stay home. Not that Im all that social anyways. But I do like to go to the grocery every once and a while.

I know what you mean about the expanding. My upper arms look deflated. What kind of exercises are you doing. I did go to check out the fitness center but I felt like a fish out of water so I never went. Silver Sneakers makes it free for us old folks. And theres the tooting.

Size four. Oh my word. I just got back into some of my old fourteens.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #23  

I still do my tai chi but I can't do any weight lifting of arms due to nerve damage. I do some port de bras ballet and that tones the arms.

For the waist I do the oldie but goody side pulls and arm reaches. Richard Simmons has a Tonin' Downtown series that also has some ab exercises and I try to do that, too.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #24  

I will look into those but I will be honest. I have never been that good about exercising. I am pretty active though. More so after it gets cooler. I hate the heat. Hopefully I will lose some more of me in the fall.

I live in the country and I have a lot of flower beds so theres always yard work etc. My husband is disabled so if anything in or out gets done I do it. And I always have a project. I just got done rebuilding the stone around my pond. Next project is putting down 250 bags of mulch after I edge all the flower beds.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #25  

That sounds like a good workout, Phaedra!
Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #26  
Want to feel better

Well, I didn't make it out again for walking. I did have a couple days where I was out and about running errands. It isn't very speedy walking, but it is up and moving rather than just sitting around the house.

I like that description ~ tootie. Me too ~ Dollar Tree the other day. Phaedra ~ I feel tired just thinking of your 250 bags of mulch. I'd like to try that Tai Chi sometime. I'm not good about attending classes though. I'm not good at the exercise. I think I want to, and have plans to do so, but when the time arrives, it seems like there is always something I "need" to do instead. I lack follow through and consistency. Sigh..... But every day is a new day to try. And every day I do do it, is one less day that I did nothing.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Take care

Old 09-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #27  

I don't go out to classes for Tai Chi. Thankfully there are some great dvds out there.

My favorite is David-Dorian Ross's TaiChiFit Over 50. It's only about 30 minutes and it's gentle and relaxing. Mr. Ross has a number of dvds that are higher impact, but I started out with this one when I couldn't do anything else. Now I use it for relaxing and working on my balance and going deeper, or reaching further into the moves.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #28  
Want to feel better

Thank you for the info Old Biddy ~ I'll have to check it out. I had found some videos on Youtube ~ Qi Gong ~ kind of similar to the Tai Chi I think. They looked relaxing also. And I sure could use something to improve my balance.

Thank you ladies for being here. I enjoy having others to share with. I missed being able to come here ~ to encourage each other and learn from others what is helping them.

Last edited by glynne; 09-07-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #29  

I read someplace that naturally skinny people are fidgity. Theyre constantly moving. So Im working on becoming fidgity. I have a note on my laptop that says don't forget to figit.

Last edited by Phaedra; 09-09-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #30  
Want to feel better

Hello all,

Well, I had a reply made and was ready to post it ~ there are some new features that weren't here when I was here regularly. I clicked on the wrong thing and lost my post. I will have to try again later.

Hope all is well with you all.

Take care