Old 02-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Over Age 50 Chit Chat

Hello!

We dieters/health seekers “of a certain age” have special needs and concerns, so please feel free to join in with me on this thread.
I have battled my weight most of my life, and am a past moderator here. Although I am in my 60s, I have not given up! Several times I have reached my goal weight, only to have regained. At this point, I am still 65 pounds under my highest weight, but I want to lose around 30 more. I don’t have a specific goal in mind at this time, but I will know it when I reach it.

Please join me and share your concerns, joys, support, and ideas,
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Jane. I remember you. Welcome back!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Thank you! It’s been awhile. ☺️
Old 02-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #4  
GmaTo8

I find that I do best with watching portion control of “regular” food. But there seem to be a lot of lower calorie options out there. What are some of your favorite lite/diet foods you buy on a regular basis?
Old 02-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I also do best with portion control, but it's hard for me. I find that I will finish whatever food is available, portions big or small. And it's there's more left, I will go back for seconds even thought I am not hungry. So this is something I have to work on. I try to cook only the amount we are going to eat, but you can't do that with things like roast. I buy the smallest one, but still it's more than we will eat in one meal.

I don't buy many lite/diet foods. I would rather eat less than give up flavor. I can use fat free or 1% milk, because I actually like the taste better than full fat. I do find that filling up on lots of vegetables keeps hunger at bay, and the fiber is healthy.

I have stopped eating after dinner, most days, and that bit of overnight Intermittent Fasting is helpful, too.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #6  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi Jane
Calorie control is my thing, although i don't actually measure any more. I love a big plate of food, so my normal technique is to fill the plate with veggies (actually i like to eat from a bowl usually) then do a small 'portion control' of whatever the 'normal' meal is on top (aiming for plenty of protein and not too many carbs) - that way i get to eat plenty of volume but not too many calories. I don't bother with the lite/diet foods either. And also the same as Wannabe, i don't eat anything in an evening, so would normally go minimum 6pm to 8am calorie-free. I do get through a lot of veg though! Guess you know what works for you though since if we're in this thread we've been round the block a bit Well done being 65lb down
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #7  
GmaTo8

Wannabe, when we have something for dinner that I really love, I like to portion out some for lunch the next day. That’s my way of getting seconds and still staying on program. I totally agree with you on eating less, rather than giving up flavor. I’m proud of you and anybody else who is able to stop eating after dinner. I have to eat something in the evening or I can’t sleep.

Ange, same kudos to you for not eating in the evening!! I like lots of veggies, too. Green beans especially have saved me many times. 😝 Salsa is one of my favorite foods for a little zip, but I try to watch the sodium.

I do love the Yasso frozen treats once in awhile.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

I wish all (anybody?) who read this much success in your goals. ����
Old 03-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/203/167

Height: 5' 7"

What a great idea to portion out next days lunch instead of going back for seconds!
April20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/206/190

Height: 5'9"

There is so much good information! I hope more people come back here and post!
keikoasmom is offline   Reply With Quote