Old 06-30-2017, 05:22 AM   #16  

Lurchmomma - where in Ohio do you live? I live about 30 minutes south of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky. I know people that work 2nd shift and it is a little harder to do things because your schedule is off. Have you considered doing some exercise when you get off instead of eating? I know that hour maybe hard but since you are keyed up it might work off some energy and allow you to sleep better. Congrats on switching over from the ice cream to something else.

Boopchick - isn't those grandkids so fun. When we take some of ours to the park I do laps around the play set while they play. I definitely don't want to walk away but I figure even a few laps is better than nothing.

Glynn - yes my grandkids all live about 20 minutes away which allows me lots of time with the kids. Isn't it funny how those "piles" just seem to build so quickly. Good job on getting up and moving to clean some of them away. I bet it is hard when you have constantly headaches - do they know if possible be caused by food choices? I had a friend that discovered it was caused by food they were eating. I actually live closer to Cincinnati then Mt. Sterling or Clay City but I have been to both many times. I am actually about 20 minutes away from the airport but out in the country. Mt. Sterling has an awesome court days (big yard sale) and Clay City has a drag strip that we have gone to many times. My brother-in-law use to have a drag strip car before he passed away.
rdjrneace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:50 AM   #17  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hi Debbie:

I live in Southwestern Ohio, the Dayton area. Our place in KY is close to Morehead. I've thought of exercising at night, but I think I would end up being up even later than I already am. Eating at least makes me sleepy, whereas exercise energizes me! I'd be up wide awake at 5am! I do hope to be able to give up the night eating altogether, my goal is to come home, shower and go to bed. No detours to the fridge. I think part of the problem is I wake up too late for breakfast, so I basically eat brunch and supper, so I'm missing part of the calories I need. If I go to bed earlier, then get up earlier, I should be able to squeeze breakfast in.

Have a great weekend.
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #18  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening ladies,

I didn't make it here last evening. I had worked all day on a couple areas that needed decluttering and straightened up. By the time I did that and got supper dished up, I was too pooped to write anything. But it was a good pooped ~ a good feeling to have accomplished something.

I got most of it done, except the table I had gotten cleaned off the day before, I had put some stuff on there, and ran out of steam and time to finish that last night, so got that finished today. I had hoped to work on the hand stitching (that is all I have left on my sewing project) today or this evening, but kind of tired (had to get up earlier than I am used to this morning for an appointment), so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

LurchMomma ~ I worked the 3-11 shift for a couple years (as it was the only option opened when I needed a job) and I liked it pretty well. I would get off work and unwind by getting my internet fix. I ate too and probably not healthy stuff, so that part wasn't a good thing. When I went to bed varied depending on (like your experience) what time I got off work. I slept until I woke up. I liked that part ~ didn't use an alarm clock ~ and felt like when I woke up on my own, my body had gotten the rest it needed. I think I ate something when I got up ~ don't remember for sure now. Then about 11 am, I walked for about ½ hour every day, then took my shower, and started to get ready for work ~ pack a lunch, eat a meal and watch some TV or get on the internet or call my mom. On the weekends if I didn't have to work the next day, after I got off work, sometimes I would meet my husband and we'd go out for a late supper. That was kind of fun. The kids were grown and gone by that time. That schedule wouldn't have worked when the kids were growing up (most of my years, I worked either the 11p to 7a shift or the 7p to 7a shift). And it wasn't a good schedule for being able to get together with other people ~ but we weren't social people, so that worked out ok. But I had a long drive to work ~ was 30 miles each way (not so long I guess) but I had to leave earlier than I might have otherwise, in case there was some kind of traffic jam on the interstate ~ so that I could always get to work on time. So, even though I liked the schedule, between what seemed like getting off work late a lot of the time and the time I spent driving to and from ~ doing that 5 days a week ~ I just kind of felt like I didn't have much free time. So, I opted to go back to the 7p to 7a shift when a position became available ~ that way I only had to make that drive 3 or 4 days a week. During that time on the 3-11 shift, I did the best I had done in a long time ~ with my diet and exercise. I was consistent with the walking ~ something I have always struggled with. I lost about 40 pounds. Sadly, I was ½ way to my goal weight when I went back to the 7p – 7a shift. I gradually let the walking dwindle away and the eating ~ fell back into old habits. And so here I am. Now, I have no excuse about the exercise, I know I need to do it, but I still struggle with doing it consistently.

Sorry ~ didn't mean for that to get so long.

Debbie ~ glad your grandchildren live near enough that you get to spend time with them often. That is a good idea ~ walking laps around the play area where the kids are playing. Yes, “those piles”. Every flat surface in our house is at risk for collecting clutter. I will get it cleaned off and think that I will keep it that way, then eventually, even though my intentions are good, gradually, the piles build back up. I think I have a clutter fairy that visits me ~ LOL.

Hi Boopchick ~ hope you have had a good day.

Starting to get sleepy, so I'll get this posted.

Hoping you all are having a good weekend.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #19  
Want to feel better

Good evening all,

I was gonna go to church this morning, but was still kind of tired from yesterday, so I didn't end up going.

It wasn't too awful hot out this morning, so after I ate part of my breakfast ~ I went for a bicycle ride. I think I might have finally hit upon a routine that could work for me. Doing it like I did today seems do-able.

My ride ~ I go a ways, then turn around and come back. I stop at this little pond in our neighborhood. It has a fountain in it ~ it is pretty and peaceful. It is like a treat ~ stopping there for a little bit. I read my little devotional thing while I was there, then continued on home.

In my search one day for maps that show the hike and bike paths in our neighborhood, I came across a couple neat apps that I like. One is Map My Ride and the other is Map My Walk. They are by the Under Armour company. It is on the phone and uses GPS ~ it tracks and makes a map of where you ride or walk and tells how far you went, how long a time it took, your average speed and the number of calories you burned. It makes it kind of fun.

The day has kind of flown by. I did some hand stitching on my project. Not all done yet, but getting there. I thought I would get more done. I can't remember what else I did with my time ~ probably spent too much on the computer.

Gotta go dish up hubby's supper. Then more stitching.

Hope you all have had a good weekend.

Here are some pictures of the little pond I like to stop at on my bike ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fountain at the pond 2.jpg (32.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg nearby pond - fountain resized.jpg (50.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg little park at the pond.jpg (37.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by glynne; 07-02-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #20  
Fishing for a plan!

I think we should change the lyrics of a famous song to fit us..."The Old Gray Mare, she's better than she used to be"! And then start living as if it were true! I believe we'd be amazed at what is possible if we embrace it!

Gayle: I love your quiet park and fountain. We have a wonderful rails to trails system in my area. The spur by me is rural and goes for miles through cornfields and wooded areas. There have been a few bad situations on the trails, so I can no longer relax enough to enjoy the serenity of nature. When I've ridden in the past couple of years, I've stayed in the developed areas. I think I may just strap on my holster and go for it. Ohio is an open carry state.

Hello to Debbie, Boop, and anyone else passing through!
Old 07-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #21  
Debbie

Height: 5'3"

Hello ladies!
Just a quick check in. Thank you for the warm welcomes. It's been a busy few days. We had planned on camping on the river together but the water rose so high that it was out of the question. We switched plans and went to the lake together for the day Sunday & Monday. We cooked on the grill, swam in the lake and had fun together. It was pretty easy to stay on plan. What's better than steak and burgers on the grill? Yum! Have a wonderful day!!!
boopchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #22  
Fishing for a plan!

Hello Ladies:

Boop: Sounds like a great weekend! I had to work. I did get to see some fireworks out of a patient's window. I'm glad you were able to celebrate while so easily staying on plan!

I've been staying OP food wise, but I know I have to get back to exercising.

I read a quote once, I need to look up who said it, "40 is the old age of youth, 50 is the youth of old age."

I don't know if that's encouraging or depressing.

Hello to Gayle and Debbie!
Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #23  
Want to feel better

Hello Ladies,

Been busy and haven't had a chance to get here. I read, but too tired the last couple of days to write anything.

Have a little more hand stitching on my projects, then they will be done.

Had my mammogram today, then ran some errands while I was out.

Maddie was trying to teach me how to play Minecraft on the Xbox thing. I'm not very good at those kind of games, but she was patient with me and I can do a few things ok ~ LOL.

Kind of a sad day yesterday. Maddie's guinea pig Leo died. He wasn't that old. She and Sara (Maddie's mom) were heart broken. Maddie was somewhat better today. They took him to an emergency vet who tried to help him ~ and thought he had ~ sent them home ~ Leo seemed a little better, but died later that night.

Headed to bed ~ hope you all have a good rest.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 183/183/154

Height: 5ft 6

Hey ladies, just came back on this site again tonight whilst found it again when googling weight loss!!!! I am 51 and in Scotland, three grown kids and three grandaughters. I am struggling so much the now with my weight, my hormones are haywire and my metabolism is a nightmare!! The weights creeping up and I feel its hard now to get it back down!! I struggle with willpower which doesnt help!!!!
Late here now so Im heading to bed but thought coming on a forum like this may help me get motivated again :-)
shaz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #25  
Debbie

Height: 5'3"

Hi Shaz!
Welcome!! Visiting this forum definitely helps with my motivation
boopchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #26  
Want to feel better

Welcome Shaz ~ glad to have you join us. Together we'll get there. Keep on ~ don't give up. You can do this.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:40 AM   #27  

Thanks Glynne and Boopchick....oh and Good Morning from Scotland!!
Well Im headn off to work soon but I will try to be more focused oh and I will try drink more water!! I had a better day yesterday then last night sat down with a massive bowl of icecream and chocolate sauce mmmm not good!!
Did you guys find it alot harder to shift the pounds after hitting the big 50????
I did give up my gym membership and havent been going to any exercise classes recently....but I have two pups I walk daily.....and no excuses I do have an exercise DVD I could be doing also daily!!

Well I hope you all have a lovely Friday whatever you are doing!!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 157/155/140

Height: 5'6"

For me it was the pre-diabetic weight gain in my 40's and now that I am 52 and have been peri-menopause for a few years. I have my blood sugar numbers in check but the menopause weight gain is hitting me. It's really hard to loose. It's very frustrating.
wantochange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:03 AM   #29  

Hi wanttochange.....It is very frustrating.....and just so difficult!!!! Then what happens is you are doing well the scales dont move downwards so then you lose your motivation!!! I have been a tad better the last few days :-)
Old 07-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #30  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon ladies,

Welcome wantochange. You are not alone ~ this journey is frustrating. But hang in there. Take it one day, one meal at a time.

It has been a busy few days. Days that haven't gone as expected. But that is ok ~ they were good days even so.

I got to spend time with my son some on Friday and all day Saturday. We don't get to do that often, so I really enjoyed that.

I've got all kinds of stuff I need to do, but feel tired ~ sure hope I get it done. I learned today that our granddaughter is staying with us all this week because her mom has to go out of town for her job. She is 9 and does pretty well entertaining herself. She is here every day after school and in the summer time ~ more of the day. But this week it is all day and night. She is a good kid, but there is just something about having someone here at times they aren't usually here ~ that makes it hard to let go and relax. I don't think I will sleep very well because she sleeps in my bed and tosses and turns and I do too and am afraid I will roll and disturb her. This is not a good week to not be able to rest. Oh well, it is what it is. This too shall pass. Glad we can be here to help our daughter.

Shaz ~ yes, I think it has been harder to lose the weight as I have gotten older. Another thing that messes me up is headaches. When my kids were growing up ~ I had bad ones ~ I think hormone related because they seemed to happen around that TOM. Then in my peri-menopausal years ~ I hardly had them at all ~ that was wonderful. Now they are happening again more frequently. Not as bad as they were back along, but enough so that sometimes I don't feel like doing the stuff I need to do, and when I have them, I don't have the patience to mess with fixing healthy stuff to eat ~ I want something I can grab quick ~ which usually isn't a thing that is the best choice. So, I will make a little progress, then have a run of days with headaches and not so good food choices. I undo the little bit of progress I had made. So I seem to never make much progress (weight loss wise). I do feel better when I am eating right ~ so there is that.

LurchMomma ~ way to go keeping OP with the food. What kinds of things do you like to do for exercise?

Boopchick ~ your time at the lake the other Sunday and Monday sounded like it was a nice time. Yum ~ the grilled steaks and burgers. Glad you had a good time.

Debbie ~ how are things going with you?

Guess I'd better get off here and do something. Hope you all are having a good weekend.