Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,
Nothing new to tell you today. Same old, same old. Have no idea what I'm having for dinner tonight....will decide after mass.

Gayle yes, the ads seem to just be in the last post of the day or page. I'm looking forward to waxing my car in the spring. It is an old car but I can get it looking really nice with a good clean and interior run shampoo.

Carol Mac & Cheese is one casserole I am really missing as I love cheese so much. I might make it on my monthly treat day but I prefer to just not cook and go out to a restaurant on treat day.

Sandy That's great that you have started walking outside now that your weather is warmer. I think I would be able to wear a spring coat today with a sweater underneath rather than my heavy winter jacket.

Mary Hope you find a few matching pieces at that big online sale you signed up for.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 02-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #227  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Our temperature went up to 71 yesterday. We couldn't figure out how to turn off the heat in our new car, but we finally figured it out. LOL It's supposed to get cold again, and maybe snowy.

I don't understand why I'm still not getting the ads, and don't even have the ones on the top and sides, but I'm not complaining.

We got new cartridges for our printer and now the printer won't work. I think the cartridges are in right because it will print a test page, but if I try to print something from online it doesn't print. We are going to try uninstalling the printer and setting it up again as if it's new. It's terrible not to have someone who can help us with these things.

Gayle, I hope Steve didn't make you go to the rally. Just say no! LOL

Sandy, I have always had trouble buying jeans because my butt and thighs are so small, but my waist is big. It was like that even when I was 130 lbs. I had to try several different brands until I found some that fit, then I would buy a couple pairs of them. It's the same now. Some elastic waist jeans are baggy in the butt and legs and others aren't. I have to keep trying different ones til I find some that look OK. I could probably wear a size 14 and they fit in the butt and legs, but I can't button them. If I want to button them, I need to buy a size 18, and they are way too big and baggy! So I settle for a 16 with elastic waist. I could never wear pants labeled relaxed fit.

Mary, good for you on the weight loss! You must be doing something right.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #228  

Well, our printer is working. I deleted it from the computer, then DH re-installed it. I should have stayed here and watched while he did it because he doesn't really know much more about it than I do. If we look in devices, it says we have no printer. But I tried printing a document I wanted and one that DH wanted and they both printed, so I guess that's all I care about. Don't know why it doesn't show the printer in devices. I'm wondering about when he put in the new cartridges, because sometimes he skips steps that he doesn't think are necessary. He might have done something, but he'd never admit it. LOL

Mary, you made me want to go to Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't need anything but I would like to go out and look around. Did you look online at their blenders? You might see ahead of time if they have something you would like. I was looking through their clearance mdse. A few nice things. But I don't NEED anything. LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-21-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #229  

Height: 5' 2"

CarolSue You are another who keeps thinking about NEED as apposed to WANT. That was the hardest lesson to teach the kids, and strangely enough, I seem to go the wrong direction. DH marched me to womans shop last spring because my wardrobe was in dire need of help. I kept thinking "I can do without." He said I went way too far. Now my closet is the most full it has ever been in my life.

Strange about the printer working but not showing up as a device. Rather this problem than the other way around.

Karrine. We went to Mass with my spring jacket over top of long sleeve lined top and I felt fine. Amazing for February. Priest really had a great homily that has DH and I talking about it even yet.

We just finished DH's great cabbage rolls. Nice not to have to cook and yet enjoy such good stuff.

Mary, are you feeling any better today?
Old 02-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #230  

Height: 5'3"

No dizziness today, but I started getting that discomfort/mild pain in my upper abd again last night...this time on my left side, however I don't have all the bloating so far. The pain goes around to my side and back. It did some of my PT exercises hoping that would help. I probably need to lay on ice but haven't done that yet. I have a small fatty tumor on that side and I'v been itching around it a lot...but I continue to itch kind all over so it may just be dry skin or whatever is causing the other itching. My weight was down again this morning.

I didn't get to BB&B yesterday as we had a nice surprise visit from our oldest gs. He just drove down to see his other grparents and stopped to see us and his dad as well, but this is his dad's drill weekend, so he stayed later than he planned in order to see him for a little while. He didn't stay for dinner but dh made a rice cake and we enjoyed that together. For dinner (just us and his dad) had baked cod with spinach and rice. I ate only bout 1 1/2 T of rice and very little of the spinach as I got the sauce too salty, but the men seemed to enjoy it.

I did some upper and lower body exercises on my new mat I got on Amazon. It's nice and thick so cushiony but it kind of smells. The smell is slowly going away though or I'm getting used to it, not sure which. It felt good to do the exercises although some I can't do very well. The exercises I'm doing are from here http://www.kristenfeola.com/ and I am reading her book and following her program as well. It isn't an eating program..it's just a Bible study and exercise program. She does encourage fasting which I'm interested in as well.

Carol Sue - Yes I plan to look at the BB&B site before going. You and I think a lot alike I'm still getting along with the Ninjas and probably should just stick to them. There are three sizes and so far I like the med size best. When I bought the set I wanted it for chopping up veggies, cheese etc., but figured I might also use it for a backup to my blender since I knew it was liable to break down soon. Well it never actually broke down, I could just buy a new jar but the new jar with shipping costs almost as much as I paid for the appliance. Dh always says when repair cost more than 1/2 of the buying price, if at all possible, just buy a new one. I have the exact same problem with jeans. There for a while in my 40s I could find Liz Claiborn jeans in a 16 that I could actually button, but I haven't for a long time now. Leggings are most comfortable. They do not roll down (so far anyway), I can pull them up over my belly if I want and they fit my legs. They are not tight around the waist so I don't have a muffin top and with the long tops my belly doesn't seem to show quite so much. I think the patterns in the LulaRoe tops also kind of distracts from it too. I'd like to wear the leggings all the time now but I'm still a little shy about it. I think if I can lose more weight I'll feel better.

Glynne - glad you got to enjoy some time with your son too. I am so happy to have our son back even though he is just here off and on. I think he's coming back this afternoon or eve but not sure whether he will spend the night. He is badly wanting to find a new place to live as where they are all living right now is too small.

Hi Sandy! Hope you are continuing to be able to walk outside. Sounds delightful!

Last edited by maryea; 02-21-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #231  

Good morning everyone,
Today is reporting day for me here. I lost the 1 lb. I gained this week plus I lost another 1-1/2 lbs. I'm looking forward to next weekend and "treat day" LOL. I'm going for a pedicure this morning and then I'm going to call the doctor as it has been 7 weeks now and my ankle is still very bad. I would like to get an x-ray done just in case this is something else or perhaps it is just taking so long because I'm on it all the time and it will just take longer to heal. I sure am sick of this though.

Mary I wonder if Pennington's sell leggings here where I am. I'll have to look into it as reading what you post they seem to be very comfortable. Good for you in having your weight going down again. This diet business sure is hard to keep up all the time. One of the good things that I find happening is that after 2 full months of dieting now, I find that I've formed some good habits and am much more aware of what "not" to eat.

Karrine
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #232  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Thanks everyone, when the times comes...the tears will be many.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #233  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It is a rainy dreary day here today. Supposed to be like that most of the day I guess.

I felt kind of crummy yesterday ~ sneezy, scratchy throat ~ thank goodness, feeling better today. I just kind of rested and napped. I think that helped. Sometimes, I think you just need to do that.

I have a doctor's appointment to see the new rheumatologist today ~ to get established with her.

Today or tomorrow I need to do some cooking. Maddie helped me make a pot of chili on Friday. We used up the first pot and she kept asking for it every day after school for a snack. I didn't want to make another one right away ~ didn't want her to get burned out on it.

The people at mom's nursing home are so wonderful. Mom needed a new pair of shoes. I live too far away, so the nurse offered to go get a pair and then I could reimburse her. She went on her lunch hour and got shoes for mom. That was above and beyond the call of duty to me. They are so wonderful to her.

Steve did go to that campaign thing to hear Hillary Clinton speak on Saturday evening. He was frustrated with me that I didn't want to go and was kind of snippy to me when he left, but I didn't feel so great and wasn't up to standing in line waiting. He called me after he got in ~he had waited in line (a slowly moving line) for 2 hours before he got in. He said it was another hour before all the people were in and the thing started. Standing like that is so painful to me.

I am working on trying change my thinking and trying to be more positive. Each day for me is another day of worrying over my kids and feeling discouraged because I can't “fix” the things they are struggling with. Jason with his job worries and Sara with the ex husband thing. I'm trying to make myself feel that instead of another discouraging day where I am powerless to “fix” it for them, that it is another day where I can pray about it for them.

Bobbi ~ I hope for Charlie that he has a while yet and that the time he has left he will be comfortable.

Karrine ~ way to go the 2 ½ pound loss. Ooooo ~ that treat day to look forward to. The leggins do sound comfortable ~ hope you can find a pair and try them out. I am not brave enough. I do have outfits that are knit ~ matching top and pants. They are comfortable but not tight like leggins.

Mary ~ I hope you are doing ok. Glad you didn't have the dizziness yesterday. Wish those other pains would go away too. Glad you got to enjoy some time with your grandson.

Sandy ~ what a treat that your husband cooks. And it sounds yummy. Hope you have some more nice weather days so you can enjoy your walks outside.

Carol Sue ~ glad you got your printer working. If Steve wasn't here for that stuff ~ I'd be sunk. I don't have a clue and would probably make a royal mess out if it if I tried to fix something.

Gotta start getting ready for that appointment.

Hope you all are having a good day.

Here is a pic of Hillary at that town meeting thing on Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hillary clinton in houston 2-2016 - campaigning.jpg (12.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #234  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle You were smart NOT to do all that standing in order to hear Hilary speak. Nothing is worth that much time on your feet at this stage of our lives. Was he pleased with what he heard?
Keep us posted on the results from the doctor.

Karrine. Can't believe you are still having trouble with that ankle. That is a very long time to put up with it. Let us know what you found out. How very good you are doing to drop the pounds, and with a bad ankle it is even more impressive.

Bobbie What are you doing to keep from feeling so bad over poor over Charlie?

Mary You are worried about hiding your belly, and I bet most people wouldn't even pay any attention to it. I noticed a woman in Church that was huge, but she was smiling and greeting people and each person seemed glad to see her. My Mom used say that a friendly nature and big smile distracts people from every thing else. I believe she had a good point.

I just did something I never thought I would. I cut down a small twig that I know will grow 10 feet tall, but it it right against our fence on our neighbor's side. It would shade the new plants I just put in on our side of the fence, and is a seedling from our 10 foot shrubs. Normally I'd never do such, but our neighbor loves free plants and she hardly has walking space in her back yard from all the shrubs. If it didn't come from our shrub and I know it so well, I wouldn't even think of reaching over the fence to cut it down. Another one of these shrubs is just as close to our fence but it is already taller then me. We'll have to trim it several times a year to keep it's growth down, but at least on our side at that place I have some cinnamon ferns that can take the shade. She is a great neighbor and I wouldn't want to hurt her, but it was so hard to dig up the hard ground and plant the 3 day lilies that need lots of sun. Didn't see that seedling till this winter.

She had a horrible invasive vine growing last summer that we kept cutting back as it came over the fence and was getting into my very expensive Red Maple Tree 3 feet in on our side of the fence. She finally dug it up and told me that it was fun watching it grow but it was mostly just a problem. Sure was!!!

Pat is at the Capitol in a lobby to get Art education back into our schools and art grants restarted for artists living in the state. Glad she has a day in the 50's because she had to park so very, very far from the buildings.

I'm very glad to just be home. I can make phone calls, and can pray, but I'm resigned from going out to help fight for good causes. Did it when I was younger and stronger.

Sandy
Old 02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #235  

Height: 5'3"

Had a painful night and continue to hurt but glad to be up. This is the first time this pain has lasted so long...most of the time it's just uncomfortable but now and then it really hurts. Got up early because dh had an early appt with his denturist (they cancelled last time) in Portland. I didn't go with him but Halo was up and barking so I got up to tend to her and felt I needed to move a bit, but still hurts. She was acting kinda wierd but is now settled down looking out the living room window. She did a strange thing last night too...she had a pee accident on my new exercise mat! We found it just before going to bed and not sure when she did it but I think soon before that even though she had been out. I noticed she was hiding under the table when I went to bed like she was guilty but didn't discover it til I went in the office to turn off my mouse. She had never seen the mat before and it is smelly...wonder if it was because of the smell and/or she was marking her territory? From what ds has said, it was not nearly as big as he described her full peeing to be just like her other two accidents. I washed it well and put it up on the office bed to dry. Even so, I could tell she wanted to go into my office this morning (where mat is) but the door was closed. I am hoping the strong rubber odor will go away soon. She is very concerned with odors..all dogs are I guess but I think even more so because she is a hound....loves the laundry hamper and the garbage!

Glynne - Sorry you've been sick...seems like so many people are right now. That chili must be good! When you have time and feel up to it, could you post the recipe? We can't take care of our grown children...I pray and turn them over to the Lord every day sometimes more often. Sounds like it was a good call not to go to the political thing. I wouldn't like that either.

Karrine - Congrats on the weight loss!! You are doing very well. You have to expect some ups and downs along the way but you are definitely dropping. It often seems to take me at least two weeks to drop a pound and even then can go up and down. Yes, I think you need an x-ray...the doc should have done that when you saw him. Take care of it, do you apply ice and elevate it now and then? You could also try alternating heat and ice, but only for about 15-20 min at a time. The sale is going on on LulaRoe now with ten consultants to participate although it doesn't appear they are all on there yet. I have already ordered three pairs of leggings...dk green, tan and purple and I ordered a top in drk blue. Things are selling fast..people are practically begging for these clothes! When you see something you want you have to reply with sold and your email quickly. The sizes go up to 3X if anyone here is interested and the sale goes through Wed. Shipping is free.

Bobbi - Understandably. I'm glad you have the little dog too but just like with people one does not replace another.

Last edited by maryea; 02-22-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #236  
Bobbi

I give Charlie lots of extra hugs, let him lay on my bed and look out the window. In the past that was a No-No, I just purchased a pet roller and clean up the dog hair off the spread every day.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #237  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Quinoa Chili

Prep Time 10 minutes

Cook Time 35 minutes

Total Time 45 minutes

Yield 6 servings

This vegetarian, protein-packed chili is the perfect bowl of comfort food that you can eat guilt-free!

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder, or more, to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 lime, optional
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
Instructions

In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and 1-2 cups water, making sure to cover most of the ingredients; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice, if using, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Serve immediately with avocado, if desired.

Notes: I used less than the recipe called for of the chili powder, cumin and paprika. I did not use the cayenne pepper at all. I omitted the green chiles and used a regular green pepper instead. I also did not use any salt and pepper, lime juice, cilantro or avocado. I did top each serving with some shredded cheddar cheese. I used one of the empty bean cans and filled it with the corn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vegetarian quinoa chili.jpg (47.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by glynne; 02-22-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #238  

Good morning everyone,
I called the doctor at 9 am yesterday morning and the nurse said he wouldn't be in until the pm. and that she would get back to me. Then at 2 pm she called to tell me she has just sent a requisition for my ankle x-ray to the lab. I went to the lab right away and the waiting room was full with at least 30 people so I had to wait an hour before they could take me in. I should have the results sometime today or tomorrow. I sure hope that the x-rays show up something as I'm at a loss as to what else to do to help myself here at home and going forward. I had to purchase a new Keurig Coffee Maker yesterday as the one I had was really acting up and not making coffee properly anymore. My tenant came with me to the store as she drinks the coffee too and helped me get the new one out to the car. She also paid for half the cost. This new one has a touch screen menu and in my opinion my old one was easier to use but I guess I'll get used to this new one. All this new technology sometimes really confuses you.

Gayle The people at your mom's nursing home are really wonderful to have gone the extra mile for your mom. Not many do. So sorry that worrying about your kids is taking such a toll on you and I hope things improve for you soon. Thank you for posting the Chilli recipe which really looks good.

Sandy I don't blame you for cutting down that small twig that could grow to 10 ft. if not removed. I have, on occasion, trimmed back a few branches that were growing too far on my side of the fence line and were interfering with cutting the grass. My neighbour didn't mind me doing it.

Mary sorry you had a painful night and hope last night went better for you. I keep my foot elevated as much as possible and use heat when I'm in my recliner chair but I haven't used ice yet. I also wear one of those elastic supports but I don't think it helps very much. It sure is an awkward place to have an injury as you can't help but to walk (limp) to get things done.

Karrine
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #239  

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having so much pain. Maybe it's time to get this checked out. I hope it's nothing serious.

Gayle, that recipe looks delicious! I copied it, but I know DH would not eat it. He's not crazy about Chili as it is, but has to have meat in it. Also, he won't eat leftovers and that would make much more than we would need. But who know, some day I might try it, and make it in a half quantity. I think I would use the diced tomatoes with the green chilies, which doesn't have as much as using a whole can of them. It's great that Maddie likes it so much. It's so healthy for her!

Karrine, I'm sorry you had to wait so long for your x-ray. Is it always a long wait like that in Canada? We seldom have to wait very long. I hope they can find out what's causing the problem.

Sandy, just this morning I was reading about body fat, and they said that lower body fat, in the hips, buttocks and legs, is healthier compared to fat in other parts of the body. People who have lower body fat have a lower incidence of heart disease, diabetes, and many other ailments. So you can be happy that you're in that category!!! I think most women are built that way rather than top heavy the way I am.

Bobbi, I'm glad Charlie is getting spoiled from you. I'm sure he loves the extra attention. My dog is not allowed on the bed and he learned that the first couple days we had him. He runs to me for a hug every night when I go to bed. I pick him up and let him sit next to me while I hug him and sing him a little song. If I forget, he puts his paws up on the bed as if to say "Hey Mom! Where's my hug?" They give unconditional love.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #240  
Bobbi

Glynne...I love quinoa, we just had it last night. I'm going to try your recipe, sounds good. Last night I just cooked my quinoa in my homemade chicken broth with a can of mushroom with it's juice and some real butter, delish!
Carol Sue...I automatic love anyone I see driving down the road with a dog hanging it's head out the window. I'm a tad ashamed to say I love dogs more than I like people. People can be such snobs at times, racist, oh don't get me going.
Closed Thread