Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #466  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Dee - now that the garden is near finished, we will turn our attention to the brush and trees around our hay fields that need clearing. There's always something to do for exercise...no need to go to a gym for a workout!

B - oatmeal with blueberries
S - banana
L - hamburger
S - granola bar
D - ham with brussel sprouts
Old 09-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #467  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Happy Monday all!

I've not been posting but have been lurking and reading all your posts ;-)

Congrats DarkBlue on !5 Pounds gone!!! I would LOVE to be able to report that kind of success! I'm sure that success will continue.

Thanks Corinna for your daily inspirational posts. I'm sure you're lovely at that height and weight now, but understand everyone has their own goals.

Hello Renee, and I love hearing about all your activities!

I've been busy with moving my 85 yo mother out of her huge old house into my sister's house, and all the business that goes with that. She's a hoarder and we are deciding what to do to get her house in saleable order...not a task for the faint of heart! She has a clean kitchen (thank God!) but can't bring herself to throw anything else away as it "might have use". Tons of books and multiple items of things most of us own already.

Anyway, it's a stressor and I've just recently been able to get myself and eating back on track. Something that has been working for me is Veggie Mondays, where I can get off to a strong start of each new week...basically unlimited veggies with maybe a couple of eggs thrown in. works for me and I usually see a loss on Tuesdays.

Have a great week everyone!

Andi
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #468  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi Andi
I went through the same thing w my mom's house, but she was the opposite. She wanted to pitch everything & go shopping to buy Herself a New Closet full of New clothing. At age 89 she deserved it & she did everything she wanted while living w me & Dh, she died 8 months later. I'm @ peace w myself for being so flexible & patient w her, even when she was rude in our home. I'm sure that you'll take turns helping your sister, to give her a well needed break from your mom I didn't have anyone to give me a break & would not ever do that again, w a adult parent unless I had a person to let me have a day for myself weekly. Mom said she needed a break from me & Dh also weekly. After mom died I was hospitalized for 2 days for a bleeding ulcer from her 8 straight months w us.

Your ticker looks great soon U will be @ your goal I do the 'meatless' Monday meals too. Today we're eating refried bean & cheese burritos & salads. Dh & I also eat 'meatless' Wednesday in respect of Jesus, for the natural foods HE gave us. Some Christians fast but Dh & I both take a Rx that need food, so I'll have a green smoothie w fruit & make homemade soup & buttermilk biscuits w corn on the cob this Wednesday.

Good luck w having a nice loss on your scale tomorrow Please come back soon to post again.

Dee

Last edited by miniDoodles; 09-28-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #469  

Thanks for your kind words Dee, and sorry I omitted your name when I checked back in - you're such a supportive person. :-) You will have many crowns in heaven for your selfless care of your dear mother at the end of her life and she will welcome you so warmly.

Wish my Mom had thrown out more things earlier, but... she didn't. Serves as a heads-up for myself and others to go through all our own "stuff" and throw out what we really don't need... kind of a wake-up call. We're now looking at dumpster prices for all her 'treasures'. :-(

In addition, my BF of many years is probably on the way out of that position...kind of complicated, but I'm sticking with him through a recent health crisis. When it rains it pours I suspect, but trying to remain optimistic!

Love you all!

Andi
Old 09-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #470  

Andi I hope your issues with helping your Mom and also your BF doesn't drain you too far. Remember you need to care for yourself, also. Sure recognize how hard that is.

Dee Understand the exhaustion and need for intensive rest after your Mom moved in. Enjoyed her desire to throw away it all and buy new clothes at 89. Also, your patience to go along with her on that and most likely many other things.

Meatless day, we also do that but on Friday's instead. Does help get lots more veggies into our systems. Tonight we are using Portebella Mushrooms insead of meat for dinner.

Renee Yard work is vigorous enough so I let my gym membership lapse till cooler weather hits when I'll really appreciate the activity. Today I was digging up more perrenials to move into better areas. Found really good soil to use in transplanting, Miracle Grow Garden Soil is really a help to give nutrients as well as food for the earthworms.

We are getting near time to finish the transplanting. I'm clearing some of the patio pots of summer annuals and planting Violas - Johnny-Jump-Ups, we call them in purple/white and bit of yellow. They will thrive for us to enjoy out the dinning room window.

Sore, but happy Sandy
Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #471  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't know, Corinna, you sound like a model to me!

Dee--thanks! No 5K for me, though. My knees are shot. One of these days I'll get them replaced, but I know from watching friends and relatives that I have to get some of this weight off first. What kind of homemade soup do you make?

Andi--thanks! I like your Veggie Monday idea and may have to try it. I know I'm not eating enough veg. Do you even eat veggies at breakfast? I'm really dreading reaching that phase with my own mother. She's still in good shape physically and mentally, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Renee--You always sound so energetic and busy with your horses, garden, and acreage! You probably have a great muscle tone.

Sandy--Portobello mushrooms are wonderful. How did you prepare yours?

1630ish k/cal today.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #472  

Good morning ladies! Looks like we're in for some rainy days, so I guess I will start my fall house cleaning. Does anyone do that anymore? I dust and wash most everything and hang new curtains. My outside windows need washing, so I may tackle that too. My DH bought me a window washing pole, so we'll see how that works.

Yesterday:
S - graham crackers
L - sushi
D - roast chicken and kale
Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #473  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Renee has the best gym around! It right in her own yard. So she can't skip out on the exercise. It is calling her all the time.

Andi-glad to see you here again. Missed your input. I can understand your situation though. Veggies with a bit of eggs on a Monday. Now that is a nice idea. I may have to copy that too.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #474  
Focus & Determination

Smile Change Your Food Attitude

How do you feel about eating healthy food?

If you're trying to change your eating habits for the better, and improve your diet to get healthy, lose weight, or just maintain the weight you're at now, one thing is for sure: You need a can-do attitude. Visualize a picture of yourself as healthy as you want to be, and at a weight you are comfortable with, and then believe in that picture, hold on to it, and use it for motivation.

Diet is simply a word that means how and what you eat, as in eating a healthful diet, or following a vegetarian diet. But some people spell the word diet d-e-p-r-i-v-a-t-i-o-n and that's one of the many reasons why "going on a diet" doesn't work for most people. The truth is, while food addicts and compulsive overeaters probably have to make big, permanent changes in their eating habits, most healthy people don't have to deprive themselves completely of any of the foods they like to eat. What many people have to do, however, is change their food attitude from one of self-deprivation to one of self-control.

Here are a couple of examples from my book that illustrate the difference:
I can never eat chocolate vs. I can eat a little chocolate once in a while.

I can never eat at my favorite restaurant again vs. I will eat smaller portions when I eat out.

I have to stop snacking vs. I have to plan my snacks more carefully.

I have to eat boring meals vs. I have to eat more balanced meals.

I can't eat dessert vs. A small dessert is part of a balanced meal.
Self-control is a little bit like willpower, only it's more about establishing a set of personal rules to live by, so it can actually be a long-term solution. It is the power you have over your own behavior, such as your own eating habits. Willpower is more of a tool we tend to call on in the moment. Neither is about punishing yourself or preventing yourself from living well; rather, both serve to help you keep the bigger picture, and your long-term plan for healthy weight control, in mind. The more you practice acts of self-control, the sooner they become a permanent part of your lifestyle.

If you are someone who can't be satisfied with a single scoop of frozen dessert or a small piece of cake, then you might have to expand your definition of dessert and your food repertoire to include a variety of fruit dishes. Then, exercise your new-found self-control by choosing healthier desserts. This way you never have to deprive yourself of dessert.

Same goes for snacks. If you can't stop yourself from eating an entire large bag of potato chips or the whole box of crackers, expand your definition of snack foods to include healthier foods like fresh fruit with yogurt and cut-up veggies with salsa or hummus dip. Then use your self-control to make smarter choices when you eat on the run or between meals.

The more you practice thinking positively about following a healthful diet, the sooner you'll adopt a more positive attitude toward food. And as a result, your relationship with food will improve immensely.

(Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-food-attitude)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #475  
Sandee

Hi Corinna, I really like this last article Thanks!

Renee, What time do U get up for your day on your farm & what time do U go to sleep? I'm just wondering because my Dh grew up on a dairy farm & when we lived near it, his dad was always napping when he came inside from the barns, etc. On the weekends it seemed like my Dh was always on-call to go help & he got up for his factory job @ 4am daily, we moved on our 5th yr of marriage because Dh never had a day-off it seemed

Blue, I also have a bad knee & my orthopedist told me to get rid of my treadmill & to use a stationary bike using my quadricep muscles that strengthens our knees. I'll make cream corn soup, adding diced potatoes & top w bacon & fresh parmesan cheese, as Dh requested. For myself I'll use up my cucumbers & add almond milk & chopped green onion & Dh's toppings. What's your on one of your menu's this week

Sandy, We have a local sheep/goat farmer that shares her manure w us for my organic gardens. I have violets that spread everywhere w runners. My perennials also need thinned & moved. Thanks for the Portobello mushrooms idea, I think I'll grill those this weekend w some sliced fruit & whole grain garlic bread & grate some cheese on top of the grilled bread My Dh won't eat grilled fruit inside a sandwich but I Luv it.

Andi, I'm sorry about the probs w your BF, it's difficult to end a relationship w years invested in it, like getting a divorce. But if U were both In Luv, everything could b worked out, like the marriage vows say. Do U think that his health probs could b the reason things went badly? I wish the best for U, but sometimes counseling can repair a messed up relationship. But there r some things I would not b able to live w, even from the man I was in Luv w. Blessings & much Happiness to U w your mom & your BF's issues.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #476  

Dee - my day starts at 5:30 AM. Even when I go on vacation, I still wake up at that time Sometimes I can sneak in a short nap in the afternoon, but if I don't, I'm asleep by 9 PM, usually in front of the TV. I love the quiet morning time.
My neighbour brought me a huge bag of apples, so I spent yesterday making and freezing applesauce and sliced apples.

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - chicken sandwich
S - grapes
D - hamburger with veggies

Last edited by Renee3; 09-30-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:22 AM   #477  
Focus & Determination

Looking for a new workout? Perhaps something a bit different. Take a look at the Total-Body Sculpting Resistance Band Workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm4-r_ON_3A&feature=youtu.be
Old 09-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #478  

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniDoodles View Post

Andi, I'm sorry about the probs w your BF, it's difficult to end a relationship w years invested in it, like getting a divorce. But if U were both In Luv, everything could b worked out, like the marriage vows say. Do U think that his health probs could b the reason things went badly? I wish the best for U, but sometimes counseling can repair a messed up relationship. But there r some things I would not b able to live w, even from the man I was in Luv w. Blessings & much Happiness to U w your mom & your BF's issues.
Dee, in answer to your question...I am somewhat of a health fan (not nut!). Although my weight is not yet in-line with where I want it to be, ALL my lab numbers are good... I eat healthy food and walk a minimum of 5 days a week...sometimes with Zumba or Weight classes thrown in. My BF has ignored his health ever since he was downsized by his old employer of 30 years (TWCable). We used to be able to camp, walk or hike long distances, but no more. He made a bunch of stupid mistakes and choices that made me madder and madder:
1)Chose to use his 401k $ to buy a printing franchise (C'mon, it's the 21st century - that business model no longer works)... Wouldn't listen to me. He's lost all of it and will hopefully find a buyer by the end of the year as it's costing him every month.
2)Chose to not see a doctor for over 3 years when he was showing clear illness... because he lost his health insurance and he's such a Right Wing-Nut he'd rather stroke out than use an AHC program
3)Chose to eat fried and other Southern foods (no offense to anyone) with no nutrition because "he liked them" for years
4)Barely made it down the aisle when his older daughter got married in July because he was so weak, sick, and shaking (I had to dress him in the hotel, shine his shoes, button all buttons, etc). We had to leave the reception shortly after it started so I could drive him back to the hotel and into bed (6:30 ish)

About a month after the wedding, his daughters took him to the hospital because he was in bed, weak, and couldn't eat hardly at all. They did an MRI and he was diagnosed with alcoholism...liver enzymes elevated, fluid around the liver and pancreas looked bad...Colon looked too big as well. Daughters scoured the house and threw out all alcohol, but it seemed he mostly bought it at a carry-out and either drank it at work or went to a bar during work...no one knows. When he would come over he wouldn't drink like a lush...maybe we'd share some wine is all.

This guy is a sweetheart, but not someone I want to anchor myself to for the rest of my life.

Hope no one is judgmental, but our lives are nothing but a series of choices and the consequences that go with these choices. Since I've never committed myself to him, his daughters will have to carry the burden of caring for him from now on.

Sorry if I bummed anyone out today...not exactly the most inspirational post...

Andi
Old 09-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #479  
Sandee

Hi girls

I don't have time to post my Dh will b home from work in 5 minutes & he had a rant last night because the house wasn't tidy & told me to stay off my laptop for 2 days

I'll b back later when Dh can't bother me posting
Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #480  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Well, bad day here. Bottom line--I just said to **** with it. There are days I have a lot of self control and and can sit there starving while everyone else eats, but today wasn't one of them. Good breakfast and lunch, but then I succumbed to a cupcake at a birthday get-together, and then DS brought back cheeseburgers for dinner. He got me a small one, and I only ate a few fries, but I also had a glass of milk and a couple of DD's homemade cookies she was making for a study-group session tomorrow. Yes, I should have just walked away from it all. Sometimes, though, I just get so tried of not being able to eat "normally." And yes, I know that's what got me into this problem in the first place, but it's JUST SO HARD SOMETIMES.

So now I feel bloated and my stomach hurts and I'm mad at myself.

*sighs*

Best estimate is almost a thousand calories over the limit for today. I had no idea there were THAT many calories in a small cheeseburger.

Last edited by Darkblue; 09-30-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Closed Thread