Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:26 AM   #406  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Good morning ladies! The garden is coming to an end. Froze the last of the peppers yesterday and picked a few stringbeans for dinner. I will miss walking out to the garden and harvesting fresh vegetables. I'm already planning the garden for next year

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal with blueberries
S - granola bar
L - chicken sandwich
S - grapes
D - hamburger casserole
Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #407  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Darkblue-lol, well with no more late meetings, you will be back on track in no time.

Renee-with no more gardening to do, what will you do for exercise? Toss hay bales around for the horses?

Last edited by Corinna T; 09-15-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #408  
Focus & Determination

Smile 35 Fun Ways to Lose Weight With Friends [22-35]

Trade recipes

“My wife, who is a private chef, invites her friends over once a month and teaches them to cook simple, delicious, healthy meals,” says Cardiello. "Anywhere from three to six women gather in our kitchen to share their desire to learn and support and encourage each other in all aspects of life. If you don't have the luxury of having a friend who is a chef, then organize a monthly gathering where you and your friends can share healthy recipes and other weight loss tips and tricks.”

Dine out together

“Most restaurant portions are way too big,” says Haley. Instead of scarfing down a meal on your own, split the calorie splurge in half by sharing with a friend.

Put money down

“With a friend, pick a new activity—like spinning or indoor rock climbing—sign up for classes and go together to buy all of the necessary equipment,” says Steve Ettinger, fitness expert and author of Wallie Exercises. ”By making each other spend money, you’re making a commitment to follow through with the activity. Plus, you’ll feel more accountable because if you back out your friend will be directly affected as well.”

Dance the pounds away

“Sign up with a friend for fun evening of dancing at your local YMCA, church or town event, says Cardiello. “The two of you can literally twist your way to a tighter tummy while building a stronger bond.”

Walk off weight

“Take a night out each week to go for a stroll or brisk walk with a friend,” says Cardiello. “Walking with another person is not only safer, but it also holds you accountable.” If none of your friends are walkers, make a new one by posting a sign on the bulletin board at your gym or join a local group through MeetUp.com.

Make a difference

“Get in shape with a friend or group by pledging to run or walk for a cause,” suggests Cardiello. Having a charity race on your calendar gives your goal importance and sets an end date by which you must get fit.

Dress to impress

It’s easy to get excited to exercise when you have cool new clothes to wear. Go shopping with a friend for fun workout duds that will make you look as good as you’re going to feel, says Mitzi Dulan, RD, CSSD, nutritionist and owner of Mitzi Dulan’s Adventure Boot Camp.

Do tandem food shopping

“Supermarkets are full of distractions and potential dieting disasters,” says Bauer. “Taking along a pal who is also interested in losing weight helps to keep the focus. Compare labels, bounce ideas off of each other and share insight on the newest, healthiest product. If you're hesitant to try a new product, offer to split it so you can both give it a go.”

Get in the game

Want to feel like you’re 15 again? Organize a fun-filled afternoon of sports like volleyball, basketball or even just Frisbee with a friend and your kids, says Cardiello. It will bring out the athlete in you and force you to try to keep up with the endless energy of the younger set.

Start a meal-a-month club

“Each month choose a healthy recipe that you and a friend will prepare and cook together—from buying the ingredients to firing up the oven,” says Cardiello. Save the recipes in a folder and use them to create a personalized cookbook with photos and written descriptions of memorable moments that the two of you can reminisce about when your weight loss journey is over.

Get competitive

“Competition can be healthy,” says Bauer “Make small weight loss goals with your friends and see who meets them first. Each goal that is met should have a small reward—for example, coffee gift cards or gift certificates for a manicure. Keep it friendly and you'll stay motivated.” Keep track of everything online or race out-of-town friends using websites such as WeightLossAndWin.com, Slim2Win.net and BuddySlim.com.

Team up for charity

“For every pound each of you lose, agree to give a set amount of money to your favorite charities,” says Harpaz. “This promotes motivation and teamwork as you help others while helping yourselves.”

Share the bounty

There’s no denying that healthy food can be pricey. To beat obesity on a budget, start an informal co-op of sorts, suggests Bonci. Do a weekly group cook of healthy foods and then split up servings, or buy herbs in bulk and then share the cost.

Gut your closet

It can be easy to let yourself put on a few pounds when you know you still have “fat clothes” you can fit into. Take away this safety net by asking a friend to help you box up all your oversized clothes and give them away, says Bonci.

(Source: http://www.more.com/weight-loss-diet-exercise-friend)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #409  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Renee, a garden of fresh veggies sounds wonderful!

Corinna, it's depressing how quickly a couple "normal" meals out just wrecks one's diet and good intentions.

1630 today, ate at home, more or less back on track.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:07 AM   #410  
Focus & Determination

Tired this week. Things are getting busy with packing for our move. I couldn't eat too much tonight because I am starting to stress out about it. I just need to relax. It is so easy to accumulate too much junk. Ugh.

Darkblue-okay, you can do it this week. I can see the Broccoli spear getting closer and closer.

Last edited by Corinna T; 09-16-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:07 AM   #411  

Darkblue - glad to see you back on track. It's very hard to eat out with all the temptations.
Corrina - now I will get exercise by helping clear brush and cutting trees around the fields.

yesterday:
S - banana
L - chicken salad sandwich
D - grilled pork chop with vegetables
Old 09-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #412  
Focus & Determination

Smile Weight Loss Self Improvement Meditation

A relaxing 24 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeirj4UFxI
Old 09-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #413  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Good morning to our Lovely chicklets I've missed you'all. A few months ago my doctor said I have a autoimmune condition. The last few weeks I've had a lot of fatigue & the ragweed from our woods gave my sinuses terrible pain when I was in our veggie garden. Dh has to b our main gardener now, I'll miss working & harvesting it. But I'll have the same fun indoors w preserving our bounty.

Corinna Thank You for your note It meant a lot to me to feel that I am a 'real' person here when you acknowledged my absence, that I'm valued. Corinna, you know how much everyone adore you & also our Renee, because without both of you this thread would be like a broken heart.

Renee, our garden was wonderful this summer w perfect weather. The only veggie we decided to not plant again is zucchini & we need to plant more sweet potatoes, sugar snap peas, etc. My Dh & I r planning for next year like u r. We've never planted garlic & I want to try it next year, do u plant it & what r your tips for us.

Blue, on your 1# loss. The genuine ways to weight loss & maintaining is not a diet after a diet program. It's planning our meals (a daily Lifestyle) that we must eat 80% of Nutritious food & 20% that is from the other stuff that Must Never exceed a 1 portion serving size in our day. A diet can get us to our weight goal & give our brains the tools/routine to continue, but a handwritten notebook is essential to log food menus to be used whenever, wherever we r. If I had to choose a diet to lose 10 or more pounds I'd chose the Mediterranean Diet, W.Watchers, or the Dash Diet because they each have a proven track record from some of my Tops friends that became a Kops in their clubs.

Something overweight ppl don't often think about is... When a person needs a surgery from a accident, disease or a condition that happens with short notice; every overweight person is at a High risk because of their excessive amount of fat that the surgeon must either cut-out or cut through or cutting around to repair the medical problem. Then the recovery is more difficult. I know this from experience, 1 of my son's (29 yrs young) had a injury just 4 yrs ago & he was about 30# overweight & he had a harder-longer recovery than if he had been in the normal weight range for his height & age.

have a great day girls
Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #414  

Dee - Garlic can be planted in the spring as soon as the ground can be worked, but fall planting is recommended for most gardeners. In areas that get a hard frost, plant garlic 6 to 8 weeks before that frost. Break apart cloves from bulb a few days before planting, but keep the papery husk on each individual clove.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #415  

Hi!

My nutritionist wants me to lose a pound a week. It seemed very possible and I have had no trouble sticking to the 1,500 cal a day diet at all. I go to the Y and walk in the pool every day. I had my thyroid medication upped from 150 mg to 175 and really felt it! What I would like to know from you ladies, is do you think a pound a week is about right? When I was in my thirties, I was able to lose weight a lot more efficiently -- and I never crash dieted.

Do you think losing two pounds a week is too fast? Not every week, just, I had thought the scale wasn't moving and was very surprized that it took my body to catch up with the diet, and I actually have lost almost six pounds! I'm thrilled, but perplexed. The process of dieting and making sustainable changes I can stick to has changed dramatically since I am now 56. What are some things I should expect along the way? Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Ms Hatcher
P.S. The reading here is wonderful and inspiring. I have learned I am not alone at all ... thankfully!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #416  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

1600ish today, maybe a bit less. Grrrr, I will DO this.

Hi Dee, good to see you again. I think I remember you from my first round of 3FC a couple years ago.

Renee--brush clearing burns some calories!

Corinna--thanks for all your informative links! Moving stinks, but it's a good chance to clear a lot of junk out of your life. Are you moving far away?

*waves at Ms Hatcher* Welcome!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #417  

Welcome Ms Hatcher - I think 1 lb. a week is great. As I get older, it is much harder to lose. I don't think I would be able to do 1500 calories a day...I get really hungry.

We've been having beautiful weather here in Pennsylvania. Today we will be baling our last field for the year The garden needs to be put to bed for the winter so I will be pulling up the drip hoses and doing a final weeding.

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - chicken salad sandwich
S - sugar free popsicle
D - beefy rice and stringbeans
Old 09-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #418  
Focus & Determination

Smile

Dee-Welcome back, we missed you. Sorry to hear about your condition, but glad you are still able to enjoy the harvests from the garden.

Ms.Hatcher-Welcome to the group! I think 1 to 2 lbs a week is doable and healthy. Any more than that may just be water weight loss. I have noticed that the more overweight I have been, the greater the amounts of lbs I lose at first. Then as I get closer to my target weight, it gets harder.

Darkblue-moving back to the USA! So it is a big move. Today is a better day. Still a bit queasy in the stomach, but feeling more positive mentally.

Renee-are the trees changing colors in your area yet? I love the fall colors.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #419  
Focus & Determination

Smile 10 Ways to Help a Loved One Lose Weight

How to be supportive without being a pain in the neck.

Is someone you love battling the bulge, and you feel helpless to help them? Or maybe you're the dieter, with a partner, best friend, sibling, or parent who just can't seem to understand what you need to succeed?

Either way, it's a big club, experts say.

"It is always a difficult situation when one person in a family or relationship is attempting to change the status quo by … changing the way they always did something in the past," says Barrie Wolfe-Radbill, RD, a nutritionist with the New York University Surgical Weight Loss Program. Whenever someone changes their behavior, she says, the dynamic of a relationship can change. That, she says, "can make it hard to know what the other person wants or needs in the way of support."

But getting -- and staying -- on a dieter's good side doesn't have to be hard. In fact, experts say, the best way to know whether you're doing the right thing is simple: Just ask.

"It sounds like such a simple concept, but everyone has different needs when they go on a diet -- some people want you to stay on their case, others need the opposite -- and you won't know that unless you ask," says Jennifer Waugh, RD, LDN, clinical nutrition manager at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore.

It's also important to realize that a dieter's needs can change as his or her weight loss plan progresses.

"As a person begins to assert more control over their eating habits, many people need and want less input from others, so be sensitive to the signs that they want to assume more control," says Wolfe-Radbill.

Top 10 Ways to Help a Dieter Succeed

There are also some general rules of support that can help any dieter go the distance.

Nutritionists Waugh and Wolfe-Radbill, and Fordham University motivational psychologist Paul P. Baard, PhD, helped WebMD come up with a list of the top 10 ways you can help. (If you're the one trying to lose weight, you can help your support person help you by emailing them this list along with a note that says "Thank you for caring!")

1. Be a cheerleader, not a coach. "You don't want to find faults with what the dieter is doing," says Wolfe-Radbill. "Instead, you want to encourage and cheer on the things they are doing right." That means applauding them for reaching goals, or even for trying. And don't dwell on goals they haven't met, particularly if they don't bring them up.

2. Become an active part of their program. "Volunteer to eat some of their diet foods with them, or at least taste the dishes they prepare," says Waugh. "If they are joining a gym and you can afford a membership, join it as well. Be an active participant in their healthy behaviors."

3. Help develop healthy incentives. If the dieter has met a goal for the week or month, Waugh advises, plan a celebratory activity that doesn't focus on food. "Do something that reinforces spending time together, and create healthy activities that can further encourage their goals," she says.

4. Show them you care about the person, not the diet. "The idea here is to pull up real close to them, but not about the issue of dieting," says Baard. "Let them see you care about them overall, and not just about their weight problems." The key, he says, is to let them know they can count on your caring and your participation in their life -- no matter what their size.

5. When they've had a bad day, listen but don't judge. "Ask them about their progress, and be there to listen if they have faltered," says Waugh. "If you know that the dieter usually turns to food when things go wrong, get them to turn to you instead so they can talk it out, and not eat it out, of their system."

6. Be "aggressively supportive." "And by this, I mean don't wait for the dieter to come after you for support," Baard says. "Let them know that you are there, and wanting to help." If the dieter is a friend or relative you don't see every day, call or email frequently to let them know you're thinking about them -- not their weight. "Ask how they are, how the job is going, how their life is going," says Baard. "You don't have to mention dieting or food, just be assertively there for them."

7. Find non-food ways to celebrate the small goals along the way. Be creative in finding ways to celebrate the dieter's successes. Bring them flowers, pay for a manicure, treat them to a golf game, movie, or sporting event -- just don't focus the celebration on eating, Waugh says.

8. Encourage a healthy lifestyle, not just weight loss. "By encouragement, I mean participation," says Waugh. "Don't just tell someone they need to walk more, offer to walk with them …. The point here is to encourage a healthy lifestyle overall by making it a part of the time you spend together."

9. Learn about their weight loss program. Make an effort to learn as much about their diet plan as you can -- the kinds of foods they're eating, how the plan works, and what it involves, such as attending meetings or participating in online support groups. Then, respect the time they want to devote to these activities -- and don't nag if that means spending a little less time with you, Wolfe-Radbill says. "If you learn about their diet plan you won't have to ask them as many questions, and more of their behaviors and choices may make more sense," she says.

10. Be positive! This is the most important tip of all. When you're fighting a battle, says Wolfe-Radbill, nothing beats the feeling of knowing there's someone who believes in your ability to win. "If the dieter stumbles, and feels bad about themselves, remind them of their other accomplishments and encourage them to move forward -- and whatever you do, don't throw in the towel with them, no matter how discouraged they may sound," she says.

What Not to Do

While it's vital for family and friends to concentrate on the positive things that can help a dieter, it's also important to check some negative habits at the door. Our experts offer this checklist of what not to do when someone you love is on a diet:

1. Don't tempt them. Respect the dieter's food choices, and don't tempt them with a "bite" or a "nibble." " Not only can this take the dieter off track, at the end of the week, bites and nibbles add up and can sabotage a weight loss plan," says Wolfe-Radbill.

2. Don't become the "food police." "You can ask someone if they'd like you to play that role, but I can almost guarantee they won't," says Waugh. As such, don't take on the role of reciting out loud everything a person eats, or locking away food you think they shouldn't have, or reprimanding them for eating the "wrong" thing.

3. Don't say anything to the dieter you wouldn't want said to you. While you may not be struggling with a weight problem yourself, Wolfe-Radbill says, think of a challenge you're trying to overcome, then think about how you'd feel if someone was "in your face" about it.

4. Don't use judgmental language. "Avoid phrases such as 'Did you stick to the plan today?' Or 'You should have been more careful,' or 'Why did you eat that?' You are not the umpire of their life, so remember it's not your role to criticize or judge," says Baard.

5. Don't overdo -- anything! "Don't bombard the dieter with weight loss books and articles, subscriptions to fitness magazines, or low-calorie cookbooks unless they say that's what they want," says Wolfe-Radbill. She reminds us that even when that kind of behavior is invited, it's easy to overdo it and come off as rude: "Keep a lid on the helpfulness, and when in doubt, think under-do, not overkill!

(Source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/10...ne-lose-weight)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #420  

Corinna - I sat down to watch your relaxing video and promptly fell asleep
The leaves have not started to turn. Should only be a couple more weeks. We have had a lot of rain, so they might be a little later than normal.
Closed Thread