Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:33 AM   #91  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Smile 12 Steps for Self Care

See attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SelfCare.jpg (57.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Happy Belated Birthday, Andi!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Thanks Carol Sue!

I went ahead and started to do a "Cleanse" last night and will continue for 2 weeks. So far not bad, mostly fiber, a liver pill and "digestion" pills at night. I think psychologically it will be a boost if I see a couple of pounds drop quickly. I'll keep everyone posted.

Very cold here today... -8. Brrr!

Andi
Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #94  

Height: 5' 2"

Agree, this bitter cold (5deg this morn) has us with blinds and curtains shut to conserve heat. Furnace seems to run constantly and yet I'm wearing fleece hoodie in the house while typing.

Yesterday in bitter cold and high winds, blowing snow was miserable. It was a day of 8 appointments stacked one after the other. THEN my phone dies. New phone that they forgot to show me how to set pass word to retrieve messages or even to send messages!!! With gas gauge near 1/4 tank and Asthma breathing very labored I had to make two more stops.

Nearest I've been to tears in ages. We live in boonies, and I try to get all errands done one day a week to conserve gas and miles on our car. When I lost my car in huge parking lot and even with scarf was finding breathing getting harder and harder, and ice making stepping precarious, oh my.

Survived and have working phone, car full of gas, Rx for very sick husband, and sore from Gym. So grateful DD has her office here at home and doesn't have to travel and neither do we.

How on earth do those of you who cope with such cold temperatures and strong winds manage each winter. At least we are retired and don't have to drive to work 5 to 6 days a week.

WebWoman, hope the "cleanse" helps you gain some control.

Andi, your birthday? How did you celebrate/

Thanks for the positive comments, I certainly needed them.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #95  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Yikes, it is cold back East! I thought all that humidity helped keep you moderate. We had a 60 degree drop within two days in Nov. and it's killed about 10 of my windbreak trees (which we need cause the wind can scream here). Not sure how cold it's been in our 3 dips, but -20 is not unusual here. What's the point of minus temps, that's just too cold. Feeling bad for Chicago with -28 and wind chill on top of that.

Sending warm thoughts your way.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #96  
Focus & Determination

Andi
-Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you stay warm.
Good luck with your "Cleanse".

Love2garden-What a day you had, oh my. I'm glad you finally made it home okay.
Hopefully, by now you have found a way to stay warm.

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-09-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:05 AM   #97  
Focus & Determination

Smile 5 Foods That Lower Your Blood Sugar Quickly

Eating a whole foods, plant-based diet is one of the simplest ways to manage your blood sugar and elevate your health to a whole new level. Your blood sugar controls several different hormonal responses in the body, all of which contribute to your energy, your mood, and even your hunger levels. Healthy blood sugars are also vital to prevent or manage Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and hypoglycemia. Eating a diet that supports your blood sugar can also help prevent obesity. Plant-based foods are jam-packed with fiber, which is the main reason they're so supportive of blood sugar levels. Fiber slows down the release of sugar within the bloodstream, which helps steady insulin levels. This prevents those blood sugar “ups and downs” that foods high in refined sugars, animals foods, and highly-processed foods can cause.

To take care of your blood sugar, prioritize higher fiber sources of whole foods versus foods lower in fiber, such as foods with refined or added sugars, animal products (which dramatically raise insulin), and most processed foods. To keep things easy and simple, focus on eating foods that do support your blood sugar instead of focusing on those that don’t. As you’ll see, there are some pretty delicious plant-based foods and meals you can make with them that support your blood sugar. These foods will keep you energized, satisfied, provide your body with vitamins, minerals, fiber, healthy fats, and even some protein too!

1.Magnesium-Rich Leafy Greens All leafy greens such as: kale, spinach, romaine, arugula, collards, turnip greens, all lettuces, Swiss chard, dandelion greens, and any other green you can think of, are absolutely wonderful for your blood sugar. However, a few are especially rich in magnesium, which is acts like a “super nutrient” once it enters your body. Magnesium-rich greens include: kale, spinach, collards, romaine, and Swiss chard, which pack more of a nutritional punch for your blood sugar than other types do. Aim to pack a few servings of these into your day if you can and be sure to rotate your greens if you’re using them in a green smoothie. Use these nutritious greens to make a more filling, healthy smoothie to support your blood sugar even further.

2. Seeds
Seeds such as chia, flax, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, and sesame seeds are powerhouses of nutrition! They’re wonderful sources of vitamins, minerals like magnesium, protein, and evein iron. Take a look at this: chia seeds have 24% of your daily magnesium requirements, while animal-based foods have little to none. Chia, hemp, and flax are especially high in fiber, with as much as 10-15 grams in two tablespoons. All seeds are also rich sources of protein, so as you can see, their complete nutritional profile supports your blood sugar on every single level. Aim to add a few tablespoons of these seeds to your meals throughout your day. Try them in some yummy oatmeal, a nice smoothie, mixed into a snack, or even sprinkled on soup or salad.

3. Cacao The cacao bean is thought to be the most abundant source of magnesiun in the world. It’s also a fantastic source of fiber, iron, and even protein that benefits your blood sugar. While you probably it’s not the best idea to eat cacao all day, one or two ounces may go a long way towards lowering your blood sugar fairly quickly. Cacao is also rich in chromium, a mineral that also helps lower blood sugar even further. It might also help improve your focus, your mood, and even help you lose some weight! Go for cacao powder or nibs in a smotthie, use them in energy bars and bites, stir them into any breakfast porridge of your choice, or come up with your own idea!

4. Almonds Almonds are also another powerhouse of magnesium, fiber, and protein, right alongside seeds like hemp, chia, and flax. Almonds contain a particularly higher amount of magnesium than other nuts, with cashews being a close second. All nuts, almonds included, are also rich in chromium to assist blood sugar levels even further. Go for a handful of raw almonds next time you get the munchies. Just a small handful will go a long way to support your blood sugar levels and provide your body with raw nutrition.

5. Whole Grains Oats, rice, wheat germ, amaranth, teff, quinoa, brown and wild rice, and millet are also great sources of magnesium. They can all be made into a porridge for breakfast or used in various recipes of your choosing.

Try sprinkling a little cinnamon onto any of your favorite blood-sugar friendly recipes. Cinnamon is especially rich in chromium and one of the most recommended foods for diabetics due to its ability to lower blood sugar quickly.

Other great foods for your blood sugar include: beans, legumes, vegetables like broccoli and carrots, and seaweed such as kelp and spirulina. As you can see, the plant-based kingdom is jam-packed with foods rich in fiber and magnesium, along with protein and other nutrients to support your blood sugar and other aspects of your health.

(http://www.vegfriend.com/profiles/blogs/5-foods-that-lower-your-blood-sugar-quickly)
Old 01-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #98  

Some good ideas in this great list of good ways to keep blood sugar in good shape. Thanks. I use many of those and am grateful all 3 of us in this house work to be as healthy as we can.

Warmed up into the 20's today, but dreary and very windy.

Diana. how on earth can you dress to keep warm with such winter temperatures, and with wind, too. Sorry you lost some of those wind-break trees. I understand what a great service they can give.

Over 1 hour cleaning in the kitchen for our two cooks here. I see what they overlook after my 50 years cleaning our kitchen. Feels good to know that it is completed and they can get back to cooking.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi girls, and thanks for the birthday wishes! My son and daughter took me out to Brio for a wonderful salmon dinner, and BF got me gift cards for dinner and a movie :-) ...and sushi and wine...

So far so good on the cleanse thing...this one is fairly mild and I only notice that I have to go to the bathroom 3-4 times a day, but no cramps or other side effects.

Corinne, thanks for posting your helpful hints!

Love2garden, What a day! I'm sure you're glad it's over!!

We can't walk again tomorrow (too cold) but for exercise, I'm going to try to hit a Zumba class in the AM and I have a tennis lesson at 3.

I've decided to start weighing myself on Saturdays to get in groove with this group. Hope we all have good news to report!

Andi
Old 01-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #100  
Focus & Determination

Default Saturday Weigh-In

Here it is Saturday, and my weigh-in shows......yes a 2lb loss. Yippee!

Hope the rest of you do just as well.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #101  
Focus & Determination

Smile Cohabitation Conundrum: How to Eat Healthy When Others Don't

You may have the best intentions of sticking to a healthy meal plan, but when temptations arise in the comfort of your home, it's 10 times harder to do. Nutrition and healthy living guru Cynthia Sass MPH, RD, tells us that many of her clients go through this exact scenario, but that there are ways to make sure it doesn't get in the way of a relationship or healthy diet.

Sass's first piece of advice is to "remember why you're on this path." Instead of focusing on sheer weight management, consider how healthy eating improves quality of life on a day-to-day basis. Sass explains that when her clients stick to their healthy meal plans, "it translates into a better mood, they don’t feel as stressed out, and they feel more calm and confident when they’re at work or in stressful situations." But Sass also recognizes that compromise is a necessity in these situations. "Whether it’s your roommate or it’s your partner, find ways to eat similar foods together, but you don’t have to eat exactly the same thing or the same amount."

Interested in how to make this work for you? Keep reading for three feasible tips to try.
  • Similar ingredients, different dish: Sass says that in her own relationship at home with her husband, compromises are made. "We can’t [always] split a meal, so when we cook together we’ll have similar ingredients, but make different things. I have to make peace with the fact that we don’t have the same needs, or maybe we’re not on the same page as far as our goal." For example, on taco night, Sass enjoys a healthy taco salad with avocado and pico de gallo, while her husband goes for a big burrito with all the fixings.
  • Takeout from two places: If your partner or roommate is going for a loaded pizza, Sass suggests going for Japanese food or something a little healthier. "It’s the same price!" she says. "The only difference is you’re just two deliveries instead of one." If you're not sure where to start when it comes to a takeout menu, be sure to check out all of our healthy takeout tips for everything from Italian to Indian.
  • Focus on quality time: Don't allow mealtime to be the main course in your relationship. "A lot of people focus on eating together, but really why people spend time together doesn’t have anything to do with eating; it has to do with sharing thoughts and spending quality time with people that you care about. We get programmed from a young age to think that eating is a way of bonding and it can be, but really just spending time with someone is the most important." Take the focus off food and consider a new relationship ritual that's healthier. Who knows? Maybe your old foodie buddy will be your new fit partner in crime.
(http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Eat-Healthy-When-Your-Partner-Doesnt-25368961)
Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Great weight loss Corinna

I'm down .5 lbs. Not much, but in the right direction.
It's been very cold here. Was 2 degrees yesterday morning. I looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy when I went out to the barn to feed the horses, but at least I was warm. The only part that gets cold are my fingers. Wish I could find a good pair of gloves to keep them warm. It's a balmy 9 degrees this morning with a strong wind. Got my first seed catalog in the mail....Spring is just around the corner!

Have a great week everyone and stay focused on your health!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

Hey folks,

I've been away from the scale for a couple of weeks. I'm down a few now to 142. I hope to be out of the 140's soon. I'm actually going to change my stats.

Thanks for the tips Corinna!
Stay warm Renee!!

Take care everyone!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #104  

January 3, 2015 228 #
January 10, 2015 228 #

Ouch! Looking forward for day I'll be out of the 220's and surely it will be before this year ends. At this rate, I'm maintaining at best. Not my goal.
Must be well below 199 before surgeon will consider knee surgery. Thank Goodness the lubricating shots to that knee keeps it moving without pain most of the time.

I am reading my reasons daily for my desires and needs to lose weight. It does keep me thinking about what good things are more likely to happen.

Fitting into waiting room chairs with comfort! for example.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #105  
Focus & Determination

Renee-yeah! Every little bit counts. Keep at it Lady.
I had to chuckle when you said you look like the Pillsbury Doughboy when you went to feed the horses. It reminded me of my childhood days when I had to dress the same when milking the cows. Sometimes I would wonder if I would be able to get back up after squatting by the milk pail, or worse if I fell over, would I be able to move in time if the cow decided to change her footing.
Hope you stay warm.

Lizzie-Good job!!! That's a 3lb loss this week. Wowee!!! Your doing great.

Love2garden
-you did a good job with not gaining any weight.
Now to find something that gets those numbers moving in the right direction. That was a good idea about reviewing your reasons to lose weight on a daily basis. What else is there to get your motivation in high gear with your body to follow suit? Sometimes a constant reminder is the way to go, even though you may be uncomfortable and grouchy from it. Try putting on some of those tight clothes for a few minutes weekly just to remind yourself where you are headed. How is that USDA SuperTracker working for you? You can do it. We know you got the gumption in you to get those numbers dropping. Show us what you got in you to make those numbers drop this week. C'mon. You will be making your body happy if you do. You can do it. You can do it. Go Love2garden!
Closed Thread