Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hi golden girls. Sorry it been awhile. I'm going to try and drop a post more often. I'm way behind to do personals but I'll start here.
I'm still dieting and trying to lose as much as I can for the upcoming wedding. So far I've lost 24 lbs. I'm averaging 1.14 a week. I've upped my exercise these last few weeks so hopefully it helps. We are still camping every weekend. It's hard following the diet on weekend but I'm doing it somehow. I try to go with a plan and if it gets messed up I only indulge a very little portion.
It turned cold on me today do I didn't walk outside. I did jog on my trampoline.

I'll be back tomorrow
Hugs
Cajun
Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #167  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Glad to see you back Cajun. I'm glad there are few ladies who continue on here. It helps to have someone who understands to share the ups and downs with.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #168  

Height: 5'3"

Finally getting here. Seems like the day went so fast and I got nothing done here at home. I did the budgeting this morning while dh went to VA to try and get his VA card (to get the phone discounts) but their computer was down so he will have to go back again. Then we went grocery shopping two stores but just little bit at each. Dh was getting hungry so we stopped for lunch at a diner in between stores. It was windy and very cold. The cold is very hard on dh. If he were completely well I'd try to get him someplace warm but this cold front will likely pass soon and I don't feel comfortable going far right now. I did his new dressing (with packing) this morning. His incision actually looks much better despite the opening...because it looks dryer. He did have some bleeding though overnight. He's had a little pain today...I think just mild and he took Tylenol but he looks so tired when we were out. He ate pretty good though. It was a big lunch so I doubt either one of us will eat much tonight. I think I'll make some potato soup and that will be good for tomorrows lunch if we don't eat it all.

Our son came home last night and he brought me three packs of tea. I made the chai right away and it was so good. He also brought us candy, and gave it to dh to "ration out to mom!" Chocolate and peanut brittle, yum!!

Tomorrow is our gs (8) birthday party. Not sure if we will get there due to the cold front moving in but I have his gift ready. It is a building set he saw in a catalog and marked that he wanted it. I told him I didn't think I could get it in time, so he will be very surprised. I was surprised I was able too! Amazon is wonderful!

I've been tracking my intake the last few days. Went over a little but doing better. So far I've done well today. I'm not feeling too well these days and I suspect it is because of my increased weight. With it all being in my belly it can get uncomfortable. I forgot to weigh this morning again but after breakfast it was the same as yesterday. I usually gain a pound or two after my small breakfast so I think I probably started out a little lower than usual.

Halo scared me this morning because she slept til noon through all our talking, running the blender and opening windows! She is usually up the second we get up or more likely up before us and barking. I finally woke her up and she was very sleepy for a while but she's ok now. Dh had let her have the full run of the house when he brought her in this morning and I could tell she got into the bathroom trash as there were some of dh's dirty dressing shredded in the hall so was afraid maybe she got something that made her sick too. We don't usually allow her free in the house unless we are up.

Cajun - I am very proud of you, you have done so well. When is the wedding again? Sorry I forgot.

Glynne - Moving is good no matter how much. Do what you can when you can. Hope you can find a way to either keep the Celebrex without to much risk or perhaps find another med that helps you. I don't know anything about Celebrex...only what I hear on TV. They all sound dangerous to me. I hate taking meds, even the ones I do. I like my new phone. It can do a lot of things I never realized. I like many things better than my iPhone but I do miss face time. I can use Skype but it appears it costs, but there is also Tango. Before I got an iPhone with the facetime I used to use that. It is mostly one son and his children I like to facetime. Dh is doing well, his incision looks good...very thin compared to his old one he had in the same place. But there is that one little hole (about size of pencil around) that I am packing. If that heals well it will be great. It's nice you and your son are so close. Sons are so special to their mamas.

Wannabee- Dh could go to the gym but he wouldn't be able to sit, he'd be up working out despite himself and might do too much. That's just the way he is. He is a very active person normally so I think he won't have any problem getting back once he feels up to it. He can even exercise just no heavy weights but he just feels too tired right now. I'm not worried about him not exercising enough. That's more me. He doesn't eat much these days either because he's so tired and has no appetite, but now and then he craves things...like today it was chicken fried steak and he ate at least 1/2 of it. I try to help him get what he's hungry for so he will eat. He has lost a few pounds which won't hurt him as doc wanted him to get down to 150 or even 140. He's gotten down to 148 but may have gained back a pound or two, not sure but he is eating a little more now I think.

Last edited by maryea; 11-12-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, I was thinking more of you getting to exercise at the gym rather than DH. I know you don't want to go and leave him home alone, but I thought you could get some exercise in if he went along. If it's going to be too much of a temptation for him to exercise then I guess it's best if you don't do that. I was just thinking of myself, and how hard it has been for me to get back to exercising after being away from it.

Is the little hole in his incision a seroma? That was what I had in my incision after my bowel surgery. I had 3 of them. One even got infected, and a nurse had to come and pack them every day for 6 months before they healed. Joe is lucky he has his own personal nurse. LOL

I had a little bit of nausea last night for some reason. It went away after about an hour and I feel ok now. I don't know what caused it. I used to get that from my Metformin until the doctor reduced my dose. Maybe I didn't eat enough after I took it. DH made some chocolate pudding and I had a couple bites of that, but that little bit shouldn't have hurt me.

Our little Maltese always has the run of the house, and sometimes he dumps the bathroom waste basket. I set it in the bathtub when we go to bed so he can't get into it, and sometimes I forget to do that.

Cajun, good to see you posting. I've missed you. I think losing 1+ lb per week is very good. It doesn't seem like the camping trips are really hampering your weight loss. It's ok to have a little treat now and then. It keeps away the cravings that can turn into a binge. I always hear that if you follow your plan 80-90% you're doing good. You are setting a very good example for me.

Gayle,
I, too, am glad we still have some posters on this thread, and maybe we will gradually get some more.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies. It's chilly down here in louisiana. The wind is howling with drizzle. It nice and cozy in here. The babies are playing good today. Youngest son is off for a few days and him and dh has been making some afternoon hunts. Dh saw a wild hog but couldn't get a shot on it.
This morning dh said I was wearing my pants like those young one do around the butt. Giggling. Baggy pants baggy pants!!! I'm so happy. Yesterday I chose to jog instead of walk cuz it was so cold outside. My exercise is paying off because the inches are coming off now. Woo hoo!

Carol sue every now and then I do take a bite of dh's snack and it helps. Saturday afternoon before we went on a stand dh was eating a stouffers caramel s'mores bar I had bought for him. I took a bite of that and it was so good. He told me to eat one it wouldn't hurt me. I told him I may take one on my stand. The whole time I was getting my things ready for the stand I was thinking about that s'mores. I chose to leave it at the camp and not eat it. Felt good. I'd made a good decision. It's hard dieting at home but even harder at the camp. But I'm coping and giving it my all.

Mary the wedding is March 14. I'm glad your dh is ok and hope his incision continues to heal and he gets his energy back. I'm like you I get so tired of this diet struggle.

Gayle I understand those ups and downs. No one knows what it's like to not be able to eat what and when we want.

Y'all have a good day!!
Hugs
Cajun
Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #171  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I thought ( mistakenly) that I had outgrown the need to post here. I was looking for support from like minded women who do not /seek not a "pass" for having an unhealthy relationship with food.
So what happened? I have backslided. I have binged on trigger foods and regained weight. Not a lot but I can see and feel it b/c it did not creep up slowly. The weight gain of 12 pounds happened in a matter of 2 weeks because I have been binging again. So here I am tail between my legs. I need to be beat up for ignoring my health.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #172  
Want to feel better

Lucinda ~ You do not need to be beat up ~ it happens to all of us. We try our best, but we are human and slip sometimes. At least you caught it at 12 pounds. Things got out of hand for me this summer and I kept indulging and my gain was 20 pounds. I wish it would come off as easily as it goes on

Well, anyway ~ we enjoy you being here with us. Sorry for the reason for it ~ you'll fix it ~ you have done so well before ~ you can do it again.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #173  

We always carve a pumpkin for Halloween, then after Halloween we put it on the hill behind our house so DGS can see it out the sliding glass door when he comes over. One time we even left the candle in it at night and it looked so spooky. This year we did it as usual. This morning we got up and looked outside and the pumpkin was down in the yard, right in front of the deck, minus it's top. Apparently some critter got hungry and ate the top. There are also some chew marks around the cut part of the pumpkin. We set it back up there and maybe whatever critter it was will come back tonight for more.

Lucinda, I'm so happy to see that you found your way back to us, but I'm sorry for the reason. You have very good resolve and you will get back on plan. We will not beat you up, but we will support you and encourage you to get back to your good healthy way of eating. {{{Hugs}}}

Cajun, good for you for not eating the Smores. It was enough for you to take a taste of DHs. I do that sometimes, because DH loves his sweets and just has to have them. Baggy pants! LOL
Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #174  
kosherveganchick

I am already stressing about the week end and needing strategies to stay true to my health goal rather than indulge my addiction!!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #175  

Lucinda, what are you having the most trouble with? As I recall, you follow a vegan diet plan and you had given up all sweets and alcohol and were doing a good bit of exercise in the form of Zumba and other dance exercises. Whatever you are having trouble with, we will give you suggestions. One thing you could do is go back and read over the posts you made in the past year. You can find them in your profile. It should give you some incentive to read how determined and successful you were in the past year. I do not want to see you lose this battle! You can do this!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #176  
Want to feel better

I am needing help ~ cold weather food/snack ideas. The stuff that is my go to stuff in warm/hot weather ~ doesn't hold much appeal to me in this cold weather. Do any of you have any ideas for food ~ especially snack type things that are warm? There is only so much tea I can drink ~ LOL.

Usually I would have salads, celery and humus, cottage cheese and tomatoes or pieces of pears. Apple dipped in carmel yogurt or with some peanut butter on it. Oranges, bananas ~ you get the idea.

I did make an apple in chunks and heat it in the microwave. And a couple times I have had some soup. Steamed cabbage. Graham crackers with a cup of coffee. I am struggling with eating healthy right now, because it seems like there aren't many warm foods for snacking. Maybe my brain just isn't working (frozen?) LOL
Old 11-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #177  

Height: 5' 2"

Wannabehealthy, sure is good to see the way you encourage each of us. Thanks, you also offer ideas that are ones I didn't think of.

Lucinda, I was told by the trainer at the gym to write down all the food I eat just as I do with my exercises. I never mind the exercise record keeping, but for some reason balk at writing down the food I eat so I can see what needs adjusting. Grrrr r r r

Gayle, I'm on arthritis meds, too, but was told by my internist to take them no more than 3 days a week. Tylenol on other days. This may prevent stomach issues and/or internal bleeding. Today is the good med day and exercise is so much easier!!!

Mary, your husband is healing but you sound worried about him. Would you be comfortable if he were alone while you go to gym? You do have a lot to contend with.

DH went with me to Gym today as I received a free evaluation and new exercise help from the trainer. He was patient as R. helped me work with medicine ball (like one I have at home) steps exercise and new one to strengthen my shoulders. She was very pleased at my 4 month progress but did suggest I add a 10 minute session of aerobic (recumbent bike for me) in the middle of the strength training as well as the normal 10 min before and after for a total of 30 minutes. This was to help with weight loss.

Cajun, hog hunting? We've hunted other animals but no hogs. Good to hear about your BAGGY pants!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #178  

Height: 5'3"

Just ate lunch and should get back to work but will take a little time here to chat with you all first. Dh had his routine diabetes visit this am and I went with him to get my flu shot. He is doing very well with his diabetes and has lost eight pounds, doc was a little surprised by that at first because he didn't know about his surgery. Today dh weighed only 146 and looks very nice. He is only 5'5" these days so that's fine for him. I wish I could get down to to 146!I have been about 10# heavier than him for many years now except a couple times when I lost some weight temporarily But now I am 28.5# heavier than him!! Makes me think I guess I need to change my sig again with all the weight I've gained recently. I don't feel nearly as confident as I did in ever losing now with this med I'm taking but I know it is still possible. Guess I've just lost the will to try so hard, but I will never give up entirely. That's just not me.

Wannabee - I had to look up seroma as I don't remember that term. Even after reading about it, I'm still not sure..maybe, maybe not. There is just this part of his incision that has not completely closed. It is not beside the incision, it is part of the incision. But there was some soft tissue over it that was soft, blebby like to me, looked liked it contained fluid. So sorta sounds like what I read about seroma but not exactly The doctor removed that and now there is just a hole which needs to heal. There is still some drainage but not quite as much. The hole looks very clean. With the packing it should heal from the inside out which is what is intended. After my gall bladder surgery, (not lap) my incision opened up (I woke up to a very wet bed and it scared me to see my incision partially open!). Guess it is quite common actually. I've had to pack wounds in patients but don't think any had just opened up as I remember. They were wounds the surgeon had left open to ensure healing from inside out ("dirty wound") or diabetic sores that had caused deep cavities. Sorry maybe too much info for some. With mine I had to pack it with normal saline soaked gauze for a few weeks before it completely healed. Looks fine now, so I thought that this was about the same as dh but not sure now. Doctor did not mention that term however, he just said it had opened. Mine was definitely not a seroma. I've been a little dizzy from time to time recently ...I think I forget and get up too quickly sometimes and I take BP med. Never used to bother me though.

Lucinda - I'm glad you are back because I have missed you, however like Wannabee said I'm sorry about the reason. It is SO easy to backslide I know but you were so disciplined for so long and a great inspiration to me although I haven't followed your example so well and with the help of some new medication, I have gained too. It was very discouraging to me when my new med made my weight jump up 7# in less than two weeks. My weight was already on the high end so that was hard to take. Are you feeling ill from the foods you have been indulging in? I remember you said you don't feel well when eating certain foods.

Cajun - Oh, March...well that gives you time so just keep it up as you have been. You have a good incentive. You will look so good at the wedding! Baggy pants...LOL...I DREAM of baggy clothes...in my case baggy around my middle! What your dh said makes me think of Pants on the Ground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc
Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #179  
kosherveganchick

I was looking forward to attending a sisterhood dinner where I thought for sure they would serve an bountiful salad and fresh fruit. NO. nothing of the sort.. today is the day I promised no binging on nuts and grapes /dates so here I am eating a homemade salad and feeling at peace.
Serenity is a day of wise food choices...
Old 11-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #180  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

It has been a better day today than yesterday. Yesterday I ended up in so much pain. It is that sciatic thing that bothers me the most. I don't know if it was the cold weather ~ or trying to do without that celebrex ~ or the way I did my exercise. I finally gave in and took the celebrex, but I think I waited too long. I was hurting so bad that the medicine didn't help me at all. I went to bed early because no matter if I was sitting or laying down, I couldn't be comfortable or enjoy TV or the computer. I couldn't sleep either, so ended up taking a sleeping pill. I don't do that very often, but was miserable.

So, today I didn't exercise at all. I just tried to be moving around by keeping busy doing stuff. I guess I didn't want to “rock the boat” with this stupid pain. I didn't take the celebrex until afternoon ~ I was starting to hurt and felt like if the medicine was going to help, I needed to not wait so long.

So thankful that it was a better day. I think I am going to try taking the celebrex every other day and see if I can get by like that. And maybe with the exercise, I will just play it by ear and do what I can do depending on how I feel. Even if I can't do it every day right now, some is better than none.

I finished the baby afghan I was working on. Got it wrapped and two others I had finished and needed to wrap also. By then it was almost time for Maddie to get off the bus.

Got to talk to mom on the phone today ~ it was one of her gabby days ~ we visited for about ˝ hour. For the newer ladies ~ mom has dementia and lives in a nursing home up in Ohio ~ in the memory care unit. I call her just about every day. I get tickled with her ~ she is a very social person ~ sometimes she will sit for a bit and visit with me ~ other times, she is wanting to get back with the other people and see what they are up to. Her record short visit was about 1 ˝ minutes.

Also got to visit with my sister (by phone) ~ we had fun talking.

So, it has been a good day here.

I will hopefully get to the personals tomorrow. Gonna relax a little now ~ then make sure I don't lose track of time and stay up too late ~ going with DS Jason in the morning ~ keep him company on the ride to an appointment. I think he takes me along to help him stay awake. He goes after he gets off work and has been up all night (night shift worker). What ever the reason, I am glad to get to spend some time with him.

Thank you all for listening ~ sorry my stories get long sometimes.

Hope you all have had a good day and rest well tonight.
Closed Thread