Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Donna, tears are running down my face at your comment about Bobbi's post! I'm glad to see that your surgery did not harm your sense of humor!

Karen31, I loved your doctor quotes and have saved them in my documents to pass on to others who will appreciate them. I will have to show them to DH because his brother actually truly believes this one! He even said it says so in the Bible! He drives his car to the mailbox to get his mail when the walk would do him good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Health and Exercise---

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it. Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-09-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #77  

Yesterday I went to the doctor's to review the results of my recent lab work. The doctor looked at the paper and said "Wow. WOW! How did you do this? It's amazing." My A1c dropped from 9.7 to 6.6. My lipids were all great except for triglycerides. They came down 100 points, but still have a little way to go. I told him about the changes I made to my diet, with all the green leafy vegetables and the beans (mostly lentils) and cutting back on carbs. I think he thinks the lab made a mistake and has scheduled me to repeat them in 3 months. All along I wondered if those changes were really helping my health, and now I know! Also, I eat eggs every day, anywhere from 1-4 per day when I have hard boiled in my salads. DH is always yelling at me that they are going to clog my arteries. Not with those lab results they aren't! So now maybe he will stop pestering me to stop eating the eggs.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks Rosey.....I have a lot of business card stock. I'll try that. Won't be able to work on it until tomorrow when album comes. See I knew you guys would have answers. Love you
Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Congrats! wannabehealthy, your numbers look great! Maybe you could teach your doc a thing or two about healthy eating and its effects. Eggs are actually a pretty darn healthy & economical protein source, much better for you than most sources of protein in the average N.A. diet.

Liana
Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning friends! Today is weigh in day. Lost 2 more lbs this week. That makes 9 in 3 weeks!! I'm super excited. I feel it too!
Yesterday I had my mammogram appt at 10. Chiropractor at 11:30. Gyno at 1:00 and blood work at 3:00. What a day. I've been having a problem that I just didn't want to talk about. About 4 or 5 weeks ago I started with diarrhea out of the blue. Cramping bloating. It continued so I knew it wasn't a virus. Everything I ate went thru me. I talked with a nurse practitioner and she told me to take a small dose of Metamucil a day with a probiotic. She said more than likely irritable bowel syndrome. The Metamucil made it worse. The probiotic helped somewhat. Instead of 7 to 8 times it was 3 to 4. I had no social life. I couldn't go anywhere and if I did I had better not put anything in my mouth. I'd had enough so I saw my family dr yesterday. He said he thought it could be clostridium
Difficile colitis. It a bacteria that gets in the stomach and grows. He will send off a stool sample and put me on flagyl antiobitic. I hope this helps. He said if this don't help he will have to run some tests. Today I'm back to work.

Carol sue. I'm on a high protein low to know carb diet. I eat lots of eggs too. I asked doc about that. He said it's been tested yes eggs are high in cholesterol but so is eating fatty fast foods and junk. When you cut all that out of your diet eggs won't hurt your levels. They will actually go down. He was right mine are down. Congrats on your results!

Karen 31. I sure had a good laugh.

Karen3 your album will be so special.

Mary hang in there. Maybe the meds would be better than the continuous high sugar levels. Keep thinking your sons words. I'm thinking wedding, dress, buffalo, fat slob. That's enough to keep nasty stuff from entering my mouth. I also think about how I felt so good being smaller. A wonderful feeling. I want it back.

Liana. You're right if we didn't have to eat food our problems would be solved. In today's world I think it's worse because of processed foods. It's easy to grab those things that cook from all natural like they did long ago.

Bobbie food sins! Church! Lol. We all have those days. My % is 1.67 if I'm doing it right.

Gayle our weekend are always going or doing something. Where did you go in louisiana and I'll tell you how close you were to me? What interstate did you travel? Very curious.

Lucinda's agree with never giving up my coffee.

Cloths need to be moved into dryer. Later ladies.
Hi to all I missed.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #81  

Cajun, I hope they find the source of your diarrhea. It's a terrible thing to live with. You're afraid to be more than 20 feet from a bathroom. I had it before I had my colon surgery and apparently it was from diverticulosis that I didn't know I had. I have not had it since my surgery.

Even though I realize that calling yourself names might help you stick to your diet, please do not include "fat slob." Many people including myself are fat, but you can be clean and neat, dress in clothes that are attractive, carry yourself well, and you are far from a slob. And the only time you should use the word "buffalo" is when it is followed by "chicken wings!" LOL
Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #82  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

A nice sunny day here today. It was nice yesterday too. And a pleasant day with Maddie. We read, colored, and she created stuff from the box of stuff I have collected/saved for her. Today reading, leggos. So far, so good.

Cajun ~ we didn't go into Louisiana, just were beside it ~ traveling along route 59 in Texas and so for a little ways, Louisiana was to the east of us.

Carol Sue ~ thank you for the pep talk and kind words to Cajun.

Hope you all are having a good day.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #83  
Jacksonville, FL

We have our 50 th anniversary August 29 th and my daughter is planning an open house. I am stuck again at a plateau..... and the party is Aug 8, I so would like to be close to 20 lb down....but it does not look like that will happen. I've lost about 13 but no one has even noticed....I am a lot more wrinkly, but still have a tummy and bum and thighs....guess my vanity needs to get in check...I wanted to get a new dress but will not buy another 14 and unless it is a big 12 they still do not fit....
Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #84  

Doc called me. Bowel culture was negative but there was blood in my stool. He's not sure if it's from irritation or something else. Told me to continue antibiotics until Monday or Tuesday. If not any better call him and he will send me to a gastro doc. Please pray!!! I'm scared. I had a colon scope in April 2012 and colon was beautiful they said. We will see

Dee hang on there. Plateaus usually don't last long. Maybe change a few things in your diet. That usually helps.

Carol sue. I'm scared it's chrones. Thanks for the pep talk. I didn't mean nastily slob. I'm a very clean person. I just feel disgusted with my huge self.
Gotta go. Hugs cajun
Old 07-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Cajun...hush child I have a large cork for you
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #86  

K3 might take you up on that cork. And it won't be for fishing. :-0

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #87  

Height: 5'3"

Donna we must be two of a kind because I thought the same thing when I first read Bobbi's post!

Well, I got up to my highest weight in a long time! It's not my meals, it is my snacking. Scared me so I've been pretty good today. Did mess up a little bit by having a mocha this afternoon.....I told myself yesterday I'd only have one a day if any and then just kinda out of habit I made one and drank it even though I had a light one for breakfast. But at least I didn't have anything else. My bs was not too bad before lunch and one hour after lunch is was very close to diabetic normal. This is why I think most of it has to do with my eating still.

Lunch was a big salad with cucumber from our garden along with a lot of other veggies and lettuce and 2 oz canned chicken breast on top. My fat was 1 T mayo.

Dinner will be a small very thin Denver Steak, baked potato (one shared) and grilled or sauteed zucchini from our garden. Not sure I've ever had a Denver steak before...maybe a first...Its been marinating for a while so hopefully it will be tender. I buy "organic" meat from New Seasons Mkt and even the tougher cuts are usually very tender. The marinade contains a tiny bit of olive oil so that and a little Smart Balance on my potato will be my fat.

Wannabe -You are doing great! Are you still taking the 2nd diabetic med or have you dropped it? Sorry can't remember.

Cajun - Praying for that the antibiotic will take care of it.

Last edited by maryea; 07-09-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Cajun: Be cautious, and gentle on yourself. C. Difficile is very dangerous, my MIL almost died from it & had a very long stay in the hospital (in for a month) and now she still needs meds for other problems caused by it.
It's not uncommon - many people have it in their system, but it usually doesn't cause a problem until your immune system is lowered for some reason.

Quote from Medscape (Dr. John G. Bartlett MD June 5 2014)
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/825908

Sorry but the charts didn't copy. Anyhow the info is interesting and I will provide the link but you may not be able to access unless you are a health professional with a subscription.

"Clostridium difficile is a pet of mine. It got legs in the early 2000s as a result of the epidemic of the NAP1 strain.[8] Its epidemiologic explosion was probably a result of resistance to fluoroquinolones (and how we fed it with our use of those drugs) rather than its virulence. Nevertheless, that epidemic traveled across Europe and North America and accounted for much of what we have seen.

More recently, there have been some very interesting epidemiology studies in the UK, in part because the country demanded a reduction in cases. They have managed to reduce C difficile infection (CDI) by 61%, and they claim that most of this is the result of restricting the use of fluoroquinolones and, to some extent, cephalosporins.[9] They also showed that our epidemiologic concepts of how you get CDI are quite different from traditional teaching. They showed this with molecular sequencing, which has shown that patient-to-patient transmission is not common. In fact, it was found in only 23% of cases. Most of the patients who have this disease come into the hospital already colonized with it.

Stool transplantation is hot in the field of infectious diseases. The first one was done in 1958, but now we have a surge of papers and a surge of enthusiasm. Bottom line: Stool transplant by Infectious Diseases Society of America and US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidance in 2013/2014 -- indications for stool transplant are relapses times 3 or more, also for acute disease. There the data are good but limited. You can transplant the stool at a hospital, in a clinic, or at home. You can put it in by endoscopy, enema, nasogastric tube, or by feeding capsules. Who selects the donor? It is usually the patient or a "universal donor" who is screened, but there are some other sources, such as a group in Canada that is isolating components of the microbiome. OpenBiome is a group of students who offer stool from universal donors for $250. The screening tests are expensive. Donors must be screened for hepatitis, HIV, enteric pathogens, and so forth, and it is not covered by insurance. Patients need to know that.

Some of us are a little worried about putting stool from Joe into Sally because the microbiome is turning out to play a rather prominent role in health. We don't really know the long-term consequences of this. We have no red light so far, but it is something to keep in mind. Finally, the FDA has announced that stool is a drug and therefore requires a treatment Investigational New Drug Application. They say that you need patient consent. We always have it anyway. You have to do the donor screen. And they also say that either the patient or the doctor needs to know the source of the stool, which is something we don't necessarily always know."
Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #89  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Cajun- Lady! I am praying for you! Go get all the testing available. I am surprised that the culture came back negative, maybe the lab did not test for the right bacteria?
Get that colonoscopy, girlfreind! We need one every year.
Stay hydrated please and let us know how you are doing.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #90  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning girls...hope you all have a skinny day. I'm off for my pre Op check-up before my foot surgery. It's not a big deal, I'll be in and out the same day. Doc will do my right foot in two weeks, the other one in a couple of months.

I re-posted the % calculator, write your % loss and post it on your refrigerator for a reminder to eat clean. NO JUNK FOOD. The day after I semi-fasted, I could have eaten shoe leather. I made mixed up some PB2 (defatted peanut butter) and smeared it on about 1/4 head of lettuce leaves in a roll-up. I was surprised it not only filled me up but I was satisfied until supper time.

TA TA

P.S....Cajun...hope your little problem has cleared up.
K3's instant cure would only be temporary.

Quote:
3.92% weight loss so far for the month of July. http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/calcu...ercentage.html
Closed Thread