Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #61  

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Yes, I do not think my problem is the same as alcohol or tobacco addictions. But I do want to be a good example to him so I am continuing to try. I will never completely quit trying to at least keep my weight down but it is the diabetes part that is hard and frustrating to me. Still I just hate the thought of taking any of the meds the doctor is offering...they sounds so dangerous. Perhaps having the prescription will scare me enough to to stop my over-snacking!

I got both the yards mowed last night. The back yard is large and I have to empty the bag three times. The front is smaller. I took a break between the two yards and almost didn't do the front one but I'm glad I did now because it's done. I enjoy working outside and it's good exercise but wears me out esp right now. I've still got this upper respiratory thing going on. Today's the 6th day..I'm coughing a lot so didn't go to church this morning. Dh went and is bringing home Subway for lunch.

Enough of my whining...it's a beautiful day...I'm going to lay down for a while as dh should be home soon.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello ladies. Decided to post this Sunday afternoon. Dh is sleeping in his recliner. In a lil while I'll be wakeing him up to go to ds's to eat grilled fish. His fiancé just brought her wedding dress to hang in the closet. She will pick it up and bring to her house later when she goes home. She didn't want to leave it in her car and didn't want ds to see it. it's very beautiful. It's full of vintage lace and light and slinky. Form fitting and flares at the bottom. She is a size 0 and stands about 4 11. A lil bitty thing. She will be beautiful. She ashed me to go with her on the 22 of July to get fitted. I'd be honored. I couldn't go when she bought it because I was working but I'll go for the fitting.
Dh and I went to the camp Thursday after work. Friday we fished and caught nothing. Too hot. Not biting. Saturday morning oldest ds came to the lake we went fishing in and fished by us. Caught about 6. Not biting. But it was fun. When we got back to the camp I barbecued while dh worked on the Roof of our water well shed. We had company come over and visited for awhile. This morning we chose not to go fishing. I cleaned the camp and packed up. Dh finished the shed. We are back home now sucking up some cold air conditioner air. We were outside most of the weekend sweating.
Diet is going well so far. Last night I ate very little. I drank a big glass of water while I was fixing my plate. Seemed to be more thirsty than hungry. My appetite has gone down I've noticed. I'm thinking it's due to not eating much carbs. I don't have the craving either. So I'm happy.
Tuesday I have a mammogram and gyno appt. yearly checkup. I'm up in my weight since last year but I'm trying to take it off again. I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Leaving to go eat supper with ds. I will do personals in the morning.
Hugs cajun
Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #63  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I had a restful afternoon after getting up bright and early to do some paper work at the office.
I ate 3 sensible belly filling meals and now it is past dinner time and I will have a hot , yes I said hot cup of coffee to end my day of eating.
Coffee/caffeine is really the only "vice" I have left and well I am not giving that up.
I know that my calories did not exceed 1200. I know I ate plate fulls of fresh vegetables and some strawberries, blue berries and grapes for sweetness. I know I had a teaspoon of nut butter in my breakfast salad and a teaspoon of tahini in my dinner salad.
I know that I must consume healthy fats in order to stay satiated, as I do not eat any animal products ever.
So another sane weekend comes to a close.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #64  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

It is nice and sunny here today. Been just kind of resting up ~ getting ready for “the return of Maddie” tomorrow. LOL ~ it takes a lot of energy to keep up with her.

Got to visit with DS Jason by phone last night ~ that was nice ~ don't get to talk to him very often because of his work hours. Had a nice visit with my mom by phone today. I don't know if afterwards she even remembers that we have talked, but we seem to have fun while we are talking.

I was feeling in kind of a little bit blue today ~ don't know why. So thought I would take my mind off of it by coming here to visit with you all.

Mary ~ I'm sorry you're not feeling well ~ hope you get to feeling better soon. Hang in there with your struggle with the diabetes ~ I can identify with your frustrations. I was resistive too about taking the meds, until something I read made me think that I was doing more harm to myself by not taking them than to go ahead and take them. Just keep doing the best you can do ~ one day at a time.

Bobbi ~ your day sounds nice ~ Sunday service and a picnic in the park.

Karen FL ~ you are so kind to encourage to Mary. Glad you were not in the path of that storm.

Carol Sue ~ your 1.5 is good ~ the scale is going in the right direction.

Lucinda ~ love your new avatar pic. You continue to be an inspiration by your determination to stick to your way of eating.

Deelou ~ you're doing great ~ keep it up.

Donna ~ glad you are enjoying retirement so much. I'm glad it and your surgery finally got here for you and that you are feeling better now. Keep enjoying. Bet Samson enjoys having you around more now.

Rosey ~ I enjoy seeing the pictures of your family. Hope DH's knee gets to feeling better. Sounds like you and your family had a nice 4th of July.

Donna RN ~ hope things settle down at work for you. That kind of stress isn't fun.

Welcome Naughty ~ glad to have you join us.

Cajun ~ always enjoy hearing about your weekend adventures. As we were traveling ~ our route took us up along Louisiana ~ it made me wonder if I was anywhere near where you are.

Liana ~ is your new job just a temporary thing or a long term one. Just wondered ~ I did night shift for 30+ years ~ I preferred it, but eventually started doing a different job on the day shift ~ it got so I just couldn't sleep anymore in the day time. Hope it works out ok for you.

Karen MO ~ it was so much fun to get to meet you. Glad it worked out. Thank you for taking the time to visit with us and treating us to your yummy cherry pie.

Hope you all have had a nice weekend.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 07-06-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Good afternoon GG's,

It is nice and sunny here today. Been just kind of resting up Had a nice visit with my mom by phone today. I don't know if afterwards she even remembers that we have talked, but we seem to have fun while we are talking.

I was feeling in kind of a little bit blue today ~ don't know why. So thought I would take my mind off of it by coming here to visit with you all.

Liana ~ is your new job just a temporary thing or a long term one. Just wondered ~ I did night shift for 30+ years ~ I preferred it, but eventually started doing a different job on the day shift ~ it got so I just couldn't sleep anymore in the day time. Hope it works out ok for you.
Hope you all have had a nice weekend.

Take care
Hi Glynne: Perhaps it was the chat with your mom that made you feel a bit blue. I went through that a couple of days ago when I went over to help Dad pick cherries from his tree. He seemed kinda quiet, and Mum definitely was having trouble following the conversation - not a good day for her (early dementia). I felt a bit blue that evening and lacked energy most of the next day. I think care of parents weighs on the mind even when we aren't thinking about it directly.

The new job is quite varied - as besides patrols of stores around the downtown area, our company also does construction site security, patrols of resort condo developments, and special hires like festival site security. I've dabbled in the Security field for over 4 years working with the RCMP/Vancouver Olympics/Private Security companies. I just don't want anything full time again - I've had enough full time work. In fact I resigned from a supervisory position for customer service with Parks & Recreation in Nov 2013 because the job was supposed to be only 12 hours or so a week and turned out to be +35 week after week (in addition to the texting at all hours from staff working the evening shift who don't read the day book *sigh*) so the job was never really over. There are a couple of openings for 'on call' with Commissionaires (RCMP Detention Security) that I spotted locally so I may put my name in for that to add to my Private Security Firm part-time job. My DH doesn't work in the winter between Dec & mid-March so when I'm not working we are living on 'borrowed money' during that time. This was the first winter I haven't worked so we noticed a big difference in the income. He also has a security licence so the company I work for is already talking about having him on part-time too for the winter to fill in. It would be nice if we could do our patrols together. That's what we do for Citizens Patrol right now and next week when we start Beach/Parks Bike Patrol.

When I was quite young I worked at a bakery and had to start at 3 am so I can get used to almost anything, lol.

Liana (L to R = Yvonne , retiring from the force this month. Dawn, the auxiliary RCMP constable. Sue, our 'CEO' of the Citizens Patrol. Me - working the RCMP Childfind booth at the Children's Festival on the first.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014.07.01 Liana, Sue, Yvonne, Dawn.jpg (26.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by canadjineh; 07-07-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, it sounds like your doctor would recommend the med that gives you the most benefits with the least side effects. Yes, some of them are dangerous, but remember, so is high blood sugar over time. My biggest worry is losing my eyesight. That happened to my neighbor. Reading is such a big part of my life, I would be lost. And my neighbor's husband has had a partial amputation. Just a couple toes so far, but scary none the less. You are right, the thought of taking more meds might make you give up some of the snacks. My doctor added Amaryl, but I don't like to take it every day, so I give more thought to some of the foods I choose so I won't need it. You will make the right decision.

I have been having pain in my hands lately. Maybe either carpal tunnel or RA. I think I need to cut back on some computer time to see if it helps. It's really h*LL to get old!
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Health and Exercise---

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it. Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh, no. Wine made from fruit. Brandy distilled wine That mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of single one. Sorry. My philosophy: No pain: good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q : Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Oh, no! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?? HELLO!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well-preserved body, but rather skid in sideways — Chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out — screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!"

Finally ...

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #68  

Trying to get things done around the house and yard. It's another beautiful day! Watered the front flowers and lawn, will to the back yard late afternoon. Otherwise so far mostly daily housework and folding clothes I washed last night. Need to make some phone calls...just remembered. Continuing to cough but did sleep pretty well.

Got a call this morning that I'd won some daisies, looking forward to getting them. I'm not sure what site I won from. That's my 3rd win so far this month. I won a cookbook for children's lunches...perhaps it will help when babysitting the gc. Today I also won a twitter win....tickets to see Michael Buble in Madison Square Garden! Since it was for tonight I had to turn it down. Otherwise I would have accepted them and tried to sell them.

Glynne/Wannabe - Yes I agree that high bs over time is very harmful to the body. I'm sure I'll be getting more meds. I already take Metformin 1000 mg/2x day. I just felt I could get it down some if I really tried but I just seem to go back to my bad habits and this time in particular I just really didn't try that much. Hopefully when I get the new prescription I will just continue to try. My doctor says it is just my diabetes getting worse but I don't totally agree at this point.

Well I need to get things done...you all have a good day.

eta: A online sweeper friend just found the sweepstakes I won today....its from Burts Bees. LOL I thought it sounded like Black Seeds or Black Feeds! LOL I think the person was on speaker and it was very difficult to hear.

Last edited by maryea; 07-07-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #69  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

3.31%. I fasted most of the day yesterday for the food sins of Sunday's church picnic. Back on track with calorie counting today.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

LOL, 'food sins' at a church picnic... how ironic, Bobbolink!

Hope all you gals are keepin' on your food plans.
Karen31... I loved your doctor quotes. Speaking of irony, it's not that uncommon for doctors to know almost nothing about nutrition & diet as they don't focus on that at all in their schooling. Scary considering how many disease processes are affected by our diets.

Liana
Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #71  

Found out that along with the daisies I also won a dark spot corrector. I can certainly use that! Maybe that's why I thought black was part of the company name? Maybe she said black spots.

Another beautiful summer day. Took me a while but I got everything watered yesterday. Slowly harvesting the garden a little at a time. Our "garden" is not all one plot. It is in raised gardens in several places in our back yard plus another area where we have fruit trees. We do not have acreage but we do have a good-size lot. I would not want anything more.

We got up early as dh had another post-op appt...this time with his regular eye doctor. Found out the reason was the recent surgery will cause scar tissue to grow over his previous surgery (for gloucoma)! I had not even thought of that although I sure know about scar tissue as I have plenty. Just didn't think about one surgery obliterating the other in his eye due to it. So they numbed his eye and injected anti-scar medication. So glad he has good eye doctors. He has at least two more post-op appts and this same thing will be done again at one of them.

He's having a hard time with his few restrictions, but he's trying to be good. Last night he walked in the garden where he's supposed not to be...but he wasn't actively gardening, just walking around and checking on things. I knew he needed to do it. He went for a bike ride and although I hoped he'd be safe, I knew unless he got hit and/or fell it would be ok. The doctor said he can walk and ride a bike. We thought he'd be more restricted like he was after his other eye surgeries so we suspended our gym membership, plus for some coming trips. We may start it up again, as we can always suspend it again. Meantime the yard work is helping me be active.

Yesterday I fasted and watched my bs to see how it would do. and I drank lots of water in attempt to keep my blood diluted....after seven hours it finally got down to 150 still higher than it should be. My diabetic target is 140 or less before eating and normal would be 120 or less. I likely started high but still after that many hours, I believe this shows that how I eat is not affecting it much and that the disease has progressed. I will continue to try though. I'm eating a lot of veggies these days again. I have slowly gotten back to them since the fiasco with Medifast where I felt forced to eat huge amounts at dinner. Forcing me does not work...it has to be natural. Evenings remain my problem but perhaps it all along with more medication will work in time. LOL in the evenings is when I should fast...

You all have a great day!!

Last edited by maryea; 07-08-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

I am not a crafty person and I need Rosey and Gynnne to hurry up down here and help me.....please....My DS's oldest daughter is getting married 10/26 in Charleston, SC. I got an invitation to a kitchen bridal shower. They suggested adding a family recipe in the gift. So I dug out a 1937 Methodist Church Ladies Aid Society cook book with 1/2 dozen of Julia Brown's recipes.

Kat's middle name is "Brown" after her great great grandmother. Julia Brown was a remarkable woman and the rock on which this family has grown. She married a USN sailor and while he was off to 3 wars etc she bought property and took care of everyone including most of her older sibs. Julia Augusta....Now that's a Name. I spent the day copying pictures of the family including Julia's wedding picture. Ordered an album and will put of both sides of our family with a note of who's who. Since I have a picture of Julia's grandfather taking about 1845 in Germany. That would be Kat' Great Great Great Great Grandfather. Funny have picture of his wife, too but it was taken 40 years later. Oh and have a picture of another Great Great Great Great grandmother.

Answer to the question you didn't ask. Grampa Brown served in USN in Boxer Rebellion, Spanish American and WWI. Her widow's pension was something like $21 a month.

I'll put the cookbook in the front of the album. How can I put who's who the easiest? Any suggestions? as I said hellllllllp
Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #73  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Oh, Bobbi - I had to read your post twice.... I read "farted" instead of "fasted" and, believe me!, it totally startled me!!!

KarenFL - what a lovely gift idea! She'll treasure it forever!!

Last edited by jess1; 07-08-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #74  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm just reading the thread before I put my cp to bed. Too tired to talk to anyone, sorry.

K3...sounds like the finished project will be wonderful, the whole family should appreciate it.

Donna...I laughed and laughed after reading this.

Quote:
Oh, Bobbi - I had to read your post twice.... I read "farted" instead of "fasted" and, believe me!, it totally startled me!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #75  

K3 to answer your question,if you have nice hand writing I would get a micron pen fine pt and write whos who on some card stock paper in what ever color you want,you can get card stock paper and pens at any craft store in the scrapbooking section. how soon do you need to have this done? if you don't like your writing you can print on the card stock using your puter and print it. and u can cut the names in what ever size u want. I would use business card size,if you want to write more history,you can use index card size. if you don't need this done real soon I would be glad to send you some supplies as I have so much..let me know ok rosey ps I have a scrapbook program for your puter, I could send t to you if you want to try that. it has diff size blank squares like bs cards or index cards and diff writing style fonts, and colors where u could print what you want to write on card stock,it also has little add ons,like flowers,critters and other items that u can also add to the card to spiffy it up. a lot of times I just use stickers for embellisments.

Last edited by akrosey49; 07-09-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Closed Thread