Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #46  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

Donna ~ love your new avatar pic ~ you always find such cute ones. Only 3 weeks now until your retirement ~ I am so happy for you. Then the hip fix soon after ~ yippee ~ good bye pain

Carol Sue and Mary ~ I have noticed that my fasting blood sugar has been better in the mornings, when I have had strawberries in some way for my evening snack. Don't know if it is just coincidence or what, but I'll take it. Readings in the 90's. That is the best it has been for me since I started testing.

Cajun ~ hoping for sunshine for you for your birthday ~ but I think even if the sun doesn't shine, you will still have a nice day. You always seem to have a good time on your weekends.

Deelou ~ it may be going slow, but the scale going down is better than it going up. Keep up the good work.

Millie ~ Welcome and belated happy birthday ~ hope it was a good day.

Liana ~ your birthday celebrations for your parents sound really nice idea.

Lynn ~ enjoy your time with your daughter

K3 ~ how are your knees doing?

Lucinda ~ way to go ~ awesome ~ that 5 mile walk. Your salad sounds yummy

Rosey ~ I looked at the sugar free cake mix in the store ~ and the nutrition info gave it more carbs than the regular one. So, I just used the regular one. I tried it last night (the 3-2-1 cake) ~ put some strawberries and a little cool whip on top ~ it was just the right amount. And it wasn't so sweet that it made me crave for more. Thank you for sharing that recipe.

K31 ~ thinking about you and Tim ~ prayers continue.

Bobbi ~ Hello to you ~ you must be busy with one of your many projects.

It is a dreary day here, but I have stuff to keep me busy, so I am not noticing too much. Hope you all are having a good day.

Last edited by glynne; 05-08-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunlady165 View Post
Gayle don't feel bad. I asked for advice. I'm thinking you are right. I always said the portions were too large. An example: 1 cup cook rice. That's a large portion if rice. The meats are 4 to 6 ozs. I do eat the 6 oz because I'm a meat eater. I'm thinking of trying to cut the carbs in half.
Thanks again.
Cajun
Holy Smokes! 1 cup of rice is NOT one serving, according to the food guides the dieticians hand out (at least in Canada) - that's more like 2-3, which may be why you aren't losing - there's 45 grams of carbs in that alone, never mind what else you pair with it during the day.
You might need to cut the portion sizes down... maybe they say 1 cup just because it's easy, and who (unless you are on a diet) ever eats only 1/3-1/2 cup cooked rice,

Sorry, I don't mean to sound all self-righteous here... just a little shocked that that serving size is suggested...

Liana
Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #48  

Re: Bubble Butt, Muffin Top, Thunder Thighs, etc

From personal experience and from everyone I've talked to, as well as what I've read... Every body has its 'favorite' place to store fat and that will be the last area it will come off when you lose weight, lol. My boobs went first, then my waist (which has always been fairly small comparatively), THEN finally my thighs and hips. Even my feet lost width first - back to AA from barely a med B when I was heavier. If you've had kids there are other issues with stretched out skin and improperly healed ab muscles that have separated. But those have nothing to do with fat. 'Mummy tummy' is hereditary - you get it from your kids.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello girls. I could never eat 1 cup rice. Usually I eat less than 1/2 cup. I'm going to cut my portions and see if it helps. The proteins will more than likely stay maxed out. Lol I love meat. When I was a little girl my dad would call me a buzzard. ( precious memory of my dad). I can remember sitting at the dinner table and not wanting to eat nothing but meat. My sister is the opposite of me. She loves potatoes and could be happy with a bite or two of meat. We always pick at each other and say when we go out to eat to just order I dinner consisting of steak baked potatoe and salad. We would share the salad and I would eat the steak and she would eat the potatoe and we would both be satisfied. Lol.
I'm going to walmart when I get off work today to pick up things for the camp. I think both sons and their gf are all coming to the camp for the weekend. They have decided to take me out to the landing for my birthday Saturday night. The landing is on the lake where we go fishing. It's a boat landing, restraurant, bar, dance floor with glass windows over lake and a big patio to sit and watch the boats come in and leave. They have chairs and tables outside too. Live Cajun French bands with dancing. My ds and bil are coming too. There's also a lil gift shop in there too. The have guided boat tours. Airboat rides on the lake and houseboats you can rent for the weekend. It's very close to our camp. I'm just hoping my crazy family don't make those band members sing happy birthday to me. I don't like to be the center of attention.

Be back later for personals.

Hugs cajun
Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #50  

Height: 5'3"

I broke the jar off my Oster blender, otherwise it was fine. Tried both on and offline to find one but none were quite the same. So today I bought one at Costco for $27.99! Same blender except the lid is a little different. Can't get much cheaper than that..

Have some plans for the weekend...we are babysitting gk and then going out to eat after church with our dd and her fam and hopefully our son and his gf too.

Breakfast
cereal - carb
nf milk - pro
pecans - 1 T fat

am snack
3 samples - carb and fat
1/2 cup nf milk -pro

lunch
beef and bean chimi - pro and carb
salad topped with 2 chopped pecan halves - free veggies and fat

Cajun - LOL I'm the opposite of you too. I'd want a little steak but the whole potato. I rarely eat the full serving of meat. I'm almost a vegetarian except I can't quite give up meat...I like small portions of it most days. So a lot of my protein comes from dairy and nuts. I'm like you about not liking to be the center of attention. Within my fam its ok, but not outsiders.

Cana - So true. Mine is my belly esp my midriff ..probably the worst place! Very unfeminine, but that's the way it is. I admire the gals that have small waists even when heavier than I otherwise sometimes! My mom was like that. If I ever lose the belly weight, I'll be straight with hanging skin I guess. When I lost weight before I too lost it in my feet. I was amazed! I thought the shoe manufactures were just making shoes smaller.

The servings given in the 1-1-1 book are the MAXIMUM serving. They are not a regular one serving. It can be a little confusing at first. She does this for a reason. For some people like very large men, it might be appropriate. But we don't have to eat than much. Also at some meals I might eat only 2 T of rice, another meal I may want the whole cup but realize that is my ONLY carb at that meal and I am allowed up to the 3 carb servings a meal (45 gms). I use my judgement and do not do this every meal.

The great thing about this strategy for eating is that it isn't a diet really...and YOU have control. She says that most of us have dieted and regained. We know how to eat and how much to eat or not eat. She is just giving us an easy strategy on how to proportion our foods better. She doesn't even push necessarily healthy foods although she recommends that we eat healthy most of the time, but this is not about eating diet foods or telliing us what to eat or what not to eat. it's about teaching us to eat proportionately. If we are consistently eating in this balanced way we should prevent that rush of insulin. She doesn't get much into all the science like other books I've read, just gives you the steps to take. When I was doing it consistently and carefully and not eating at night I achieved this.

And like with cereals...the serving size for dry cereal is 1 cup, but I know that one cup of some cereals is too many carbs for me so I have to cut back. But the thing is it is MY choice so I don't feel deprived. Actually because the servings can be more than I was eating... I actually feel less hungry. Now if I can just get back to not eating in the evening...or just eating veggies at least......it's just a bad habit.

Last edited by maryea; 05-08-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

We're back home safe and sound! Didn't run into any bad weather although we did have a few drops on the windshield that we had to use about 4 swipes with the wipers. Tim did good and said he doesn't feel any different than before he went in for the chemo. Picked up my "fur babies" and they were very happy to see me! Now after two days of hustle and bustle and worry and stress and tension--- I'm looking forward to a wonderful night of GORKING!!! Thanks for all the prayers!

Millie, Welcome and happy birthday!!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #52  

Hi everyone, another nice day,i even got a little sun burn sitting on the deck. K31 am so glad Tim hasn't felt the bad symtoms that go with chemo therapy,bet its nice to gork with the puppies. Im a meat eater too,however I like all the other stuff too so my small stomach keeps me to small portions. My dd and dh had the same dr do their neck surgeries,he has been sued for fraudulent surgeries and lost..dh had an apt with our dr today and she wants him to be checked out to make sure his surg was done properly,as he still has a lot of pain.. so shes ordered more tests and a 2nd opinion to make sure dh is not one of that dr's failures. he lost the law suit and has to pay 1.7 million to a patient who had a botchd surg..sure hope dh wasn't one of those or my dd,it was in the anchorage paper yesterday.It seems you don't know who to trust now days.. hope your evening is a good one ttfn rosey ps dh brought me yellow roses
Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #53  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Good Friday Morning! I just read all the posts on this page and I am WOWed!
Cajunlady, Your mother's day plans sound so much fun! I would love to go dancing and hang out with my family in a place that has live music.
akrosey.. I am hoping your loved ones are not negatively impacted by a doctor's negligence. I hope you hear good news.
Karen31..your dh is blessed to have a loving wife who faces tribulations united in loving purpose.
Maryea...my blender bit the dust this week too. I have been stressed about it b/c it was one of those blender/food processor combo's , so now I will go to costco too and see if I can replace it.
Canadjineh,...hahahah my breasts were the first place I lost weight too. They now look like I am a little girl again. Dh and I laugh about it! My fingers are thinner by so much that none of my rings fit! Except the ring my dh got on bended knee to beg me to marry him 31 years ago come october.
yesterday I had another hungry chick day..so It was snacking on broccoli and brussel sprouts dipped in mustard! That did the trick. Belly and mouth satisfied!
Gayle..you have inspired me to try to be mindful of all the many friends/supporters I have here on this forum. Thank YOu for your shout outs !

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 05-09-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: I wanted to thank Gayle!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #54  

Good morning. It's Friday chaos. Packing working picking up in the house. I seasoned some pork chops for tonight. I'm getting off at 1 today because I have to go renew my drivers license. It expires tomorrow on my birthday. I will be 53 years old. We hope to be able to go fishing tomorrow. There is rain in our forcast for today. 1 channel is giving rain for tomorrow 1 is not. Who to believe. I'm excited because my family will be all together this weekend at the camp. Could not ask for a better birthday/Mother's Day weekend.

I repaired some lunches and snacks for the boat. Hopefully I can have another weekend on plan.

Mary I'm trying to reduce my serving size. Hopefully it helps.

Rosey I know how it feels to be sunburnt. I'm still burnt from last weekends fishing trip. This weekends supposed to be cloudy so that's good. I'm starting to peel. Hope your dh wasn't one of them that were butchered by that doc.

K31 there's no place like home. Glad to hear your Tim is ok after his treatment.

Lucinda the marina we go to is so much fun. We go all the time. The atmosphere is so relaxing. Very Cajun south louisiana culture.

Canada I lost a good bit of weight and always had a pretty flat stomach except for a lil pooch on my lower belly. Recently I gained some weight back and it came back in my upper belly. I'm thinking it's partially because of menopause. I hate that bulge at the top of my belly.

Gayle you are right. We always have things to do on the weekends. Usually we fish and camp from May thru September and hunt and camp October thru February. Usually March and April we catch up on anything that needs repairs around the house. Now it's those 2 sons that keep us busy with their projects for their own houses now. I think we are finished with them for awhile. Now it's time to play!!!!(fish)

Bobbi how are you doing?

K3. Thinking of you. Hope you are healing ok.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Hugs cajun
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #55  

Oh I forgot. I won't be back on until Monday. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!
Hope y'all get lots of hugs,calls,texts,emails,letters from your children. I also hope you can give the same to y'all mothers and mother in laws. Thoughts and prayers to all not with us this weekend.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #56  

Morning, girls (or afternoon, if you are in the East lol):

K31 - so glad things went smoothly for you guys and now relaxing with the pups - good for all of you.

akrosie - I hope for all your sakes the doc actually did a proper job on the surgeries! Scary!

Lucinda - broccoli & mustard = yum! Sometimes all we need when we have the hungries is to taste something powerful or spicy - that makes our mouths happy, lol.

Have a great time, Cajun - dance like a maniac!!! Then dance some more for me,

maryea - Great you could find a replacement for your blender jar... I have a waaay old Oster combo set that we got as a wedding present - blender, salad slicer, meat grinder, mixer lol. It's an ugly "almond" colour but that was the thing back then; still works like a charm, not like the crap that's being made now... Seems like any small kitchen electrical appliance these days goes kaput in a couple years and there are NO replacement parts

Liana
Old 05-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #57  
Jacksonville, FL

SIGH...followed the program to the tee for two weeks this morning weighing..up! I feel better, so keep on keeping on.....SIGH...
Old 05-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #58  

Height: 5'3"

Dh is fishing but I expect he'll be home soon as it is really pouring down! I'm glad I'm indoors. I've been busy this morning...on my second laundry load, and doing housework. Kinda playing a bit of catchup.

My bs was a little lower this morning although still high. I'm just glad to see any lowering.

I've been working on setting up a list or group on FB for my sweepstakes friends that I use as referrals on sweeps. I guess I don't understand it. I've got it set up but all I get all their posts to all the other groups, and can't see my own. It also rotates all the other sweep groups cover picture. I haven't added my own, but why does it show the other groups and not one of my own photos as it does on my other lists. I've created both lists and groups before and never had this happen so I'm puzzled.

Deelou - So proud of you!! I have trouble sticking with it so I admire those that do it.

Cana - I bought a NEW blender...same model other than perhaps updated and the jar and the lid is a bit different. I couldn't find a jar replacement. So far it's working ok. I smell a bit of burned rubber smell but the old one did that too.

Lucinda - I lose weight in my fingers too. I haven't actually lost weight recently so I don't know why but my rings have been slipping off. I have to be careful because I don't want to lose them...did that when I lost weight several years ago. I'm going to have to try some of your taste treats for when you are hungry. Might help me too.

Cajun - Hope cutting back on size of servings works for you. If you only have one of each nutrient and keep to the stated or less serving size, and don't eat in the evening, you should lose I would think. Of course it will depend on how much you were eating before. Also remember to cut back your protein and grains at snacks if you eat them...I tend to forget this. I want us both to have success..

What is everyone doing for Mothers Day? We are babysitting tomorrow night and then going out to eat with their mom and dad after church. Hoping our son and his gf will join us too.

Hi Glynne and other others I've missed. Dh just got home and I need to get busy again.

Last edited by maryea; 05-09-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #59  

After all the talk about serving sizes for rice, what did I do but last night & today at lunch had 1c of basmati rice as a serving. lol At least it fit in my macros on MyFitnessPal. Not much in the way of carbs other than the rice for either of those meals.

Liana
Old 05-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle, if strawberries help keep your fasting blood sugar low, then by all means, eat them! For me, any snack at bedtime, no matter what it is, raises my blood sugar overnight. We are all different and must find what works for each of us. I would try the strawberries, but I don't like them. LOL

Cajun, the landing sounds so wonderful and relaxing. I hope you get to go there for your birthday!

Mary, I think I did 1-1-1 back in the 60's when I went on my first diet. I didn't know anything about dieting, so I just ate less. My mother would not cook anything special for me, so I would just eat 1 piece of meat, 1 scoop of potatoes (or whatever carb she made) and 1 scoop of vegetables. I did an exercise class at the Y twice a week. It worked. I lost 25 lbs in a few months. The problems started when I started hearing about different diets to try and I got all this diet information running around through my brain.

I always heard that upper body fat is the first to go, therefore, the thinness of the face, loss of boobs, and fingers. Unfortunately, I have never lost enough weight to test that theory.

Kudos to those who are succeeding!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-10-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Closed Thread