Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #106  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Instead of buying new Easter clothes, I got a new hair-do. I had this wedge put in a couple years ago and DH didn't like it. But I just felt like it yesterday and I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1933.JPG (79.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

I so enjoy seeing everyone's updates! I don't often post -- what could I say? Scale is still up; my depression is still running rampant; another day older and deeper in debt? (hopefully at least part of you remember that last line is from an old song!) However, the last few days of your postings have inspired me, so here goes! About shingles -- I have had TWO co-workers contract this over the past six months, which scares some of us oldies but goodies to death. I have been told that Medicare WILL cover the vaccine -- our own insurance will not. I will be going on Medicare in July, so I'm definitely going to consider it at that time. Next subject -- why do our DH's have to be so grumpy? And why are they "always right"? And why do they never apologize, but expect us to? And why do I continue to do most of the housework and ALL of the cooking when I'm the only one who is still working? OK, rant over -- boy, I feel better! Hope you lovely ladies have a good afternoon!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi, the new hair do looks good! I like that, and it's very popular right now.

Lizzy, my husband's first wife was a stay-at-home-mom. She did everything for him. Got his coffee, made him a sandwich, etc. When we first got together he expected me to do the same. I told him I work 40 hours a week the same as you. I cook, clean, do laundry and care for YOUR 2 kids, so otherwise you are on your own. When I want a cup of coffee I get up and get it, and so can you. He adjusted just fine, and when he retired before me, he was very helpful around the house. Now that he's down and out, I have been waiting on him hand and foot, because I know he's in pain. I'm just wondering what will happen after he's better. I just settle down to reading my book and it's "Get me some water." "Get me my pain pill." "Get me my BP pill".

The words "sorry" have never crossed his lips except to say "You'll be sorry!" LOL
Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #109  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! Hope you're having a good day. It's cloudy but dry here. Did you see the "blood" moon last night (well early this am!). I did..the eclipse happened pretty fast it seemed to me and it turned a reddish brown. I tend to stay up late anyway so wasn't too hard for me. I was just glad it wasn't so cloudy it couldn't be seen...we tend to usually have that problem up here. Of course I realize there will be a series but with the cloudiness that is typical here I wanted to see this one in case I can't see the others.

Dh went to the is retiree brunch but I had a follow up visit with my dermatologist about my scalp and ear itching. It is much improved. He said I have to use the medicated shampoo forever. Don't like that...it's ok, but I like trying different shampoos and I have a lot on hand. I just might slip a regular shampoo in every 3 times or so and see if I have any problem....

On the shingles vaccine...I just called Medicare and they said no, they did not cover the vaccine. Perhaps if you have Medicare D it might be...she didn't say and I didn't ask since I'm don't need that plan otherwise...but with the A & B I have, it is not covered up here. Maybe other areas of the country are different, or maybe if you have a Medicare Advantage plan

Bobbi - I really like your hair cut...and the color is beautiful too!

Wannabe and others living with Mr Cranky - Sorry to hear your dh is still hurting and you had to cancel your Easter plans. Some men esp seem to be very stubborn about taking meds. I am fortunate as my dh is usually very good about it. He is sometimes reluctant about going to the ER or even a doctor outside of his usual schedule, but he usually will do it if I tell him he really should. He's a very easy going easy to get along with guy. Hardly ever complains. He expects me to do the housework, dishes etc but if I don't do it he will jump in and do it when he can't stand it. I try to not let that happen. When I worked swing, he came home and fixed dinner for him and the children. When I went to school, he sometimes did the laundry if he saw it piled up or needed something. He rarely complains and when he does I know he's very tired or not feeling well. He is more likely to get grouchy then rather than complain about not feeling well in fact. I tell him to let me know when he doesn't feel well or is too tired so I am sure to understand. I on the other hand tell him everything! LOL We are a pretty traditional couple other than I do all the financial stuff...but otherwise, I keep up the house, all he normally does inside is household repairs when needed, but he does the yard work (large yard) and car maintenance. About 53 years ago, I asked God to give me the man who would be just right for me and we've now been married 52 years in Sept, despite the fact that everyone thought it would never work. Only God I'm sure as I have not always been the easiest person to live with esp when I was younger (married at 19) but he was usually very patient with me. He is very hard working and saves us all kinds of money as until his leg fracture, we never had to hire a serviceman and still don't often. My only complaint about him is that he isn't the best at communication/listening and he is so good at doing everything himself that sometimes I feel he doesn't really need me for much..maybe we wives are never satisfied..

Rosey - You should take a picture in your new outfit. Sounds so festive and I know you look good in pink. I had a $10 off coupon, plus two GC for Pennys and looked around today but found nothing that looked good on me. I wasn't shopping for Easter but just for brightly colored (but not patterned) tops to go with some skirts I have. Seems most were patterns...very pretty but not what I need.

Last edited by maryea; 04-15-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Well, they have had Tim on Reglan for the last 3 days and are letting him try clear liquids again today. It seems like the Reglan has got his stomach working again like it should and hoping that the food he eats stays down. This will be his third try and it seems like the other 2 times he has got to about day 3 and then loses the food that he ate. So we are praying that this works this time. He is ready to come home and I'm ready for him to. 15 days is a long time to be in the hospital! Keep the prayers coming.

Bobbi, I love the new haircut,

Rosey, yes-- we need pics of the new outfit.

Been thinking of everyone and just don't get on long enough to say Hello to everyone. Hope everyone has a good week
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #111  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola!

Bobbi - LOVE the new 'do! And you're kind of a feisty gal, aren't you? Love THAT, too! And, yes, Samson sometimes gets in a snit, but I'm a lot bigger than he is and he's askeered of me! 99% of the time, he's very gentle and very mellow.

I had shingles 3 years ago this month and had a very mild case, all things considered. I know people who are totally debilitated from the pain, so GET THE SHOT IF YOU CAN. The meds I took were: 20 pills a day for 7 days! But they worked....

27 more times to go to work! I'm not counting yet, of course, though I am greatly anticipating!!

Mary - it's good that you appreciate Joe so much!

Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 04-15-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #112  

Karen, I am praying that Tim is doing better and can come home soon. It's always more comfortable to be in your own home.

Mary, Good for you on 52 years of marriage. It sounds as though you both have worked at having a good marriage and you have a nice family.

So far I'm not going to get the shingles vaccine. I have a medicare supplement and don't know if it would cover it or not. I would have to call before hand. I am going to call the doctor today about DH not taking the anti-viral meds. When his pain gets bad he wants to go to the hospital, but I told him THEY will make him take his meds, so why not just take them at home. I read online that they can have side-effects but it's better to take them and live with the side effects, which may be unpleasant but will go away after you finish the meds. I can't make him take it. It's stressing me out, but what can I do? I think it's important to take them at the first sign, and I don't know if it would help him to start taking it now. When I had shingles, I was off work for 6 days and then had to go back to work. I had pain, but was able to function. I took the meds faithfully. Maybe mine were not as bad as his, and I was younger. I didn't have the dizziness and nausea he's having.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #113  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Karen...still thinking and praying for you and Tim.

Donna...27 work days or 27 days as in retiring May 12th? We'll all count with you. And then getting in line for your surgery. K3 will be able to tell you all about it....speaking of which, where is she?

Carol, sorry about DH. I had shingles when I was 10 years old, I can still remember the pain. Back in the olden days, we didn't take anything for it. I grew up with a nasty dad who mentally abused me from toddler to 16 years old. After getting those horrid sores part way around my waist, he told me if they get all the way around my waist, I would die. Can you imagine a father telling that to his 10 yr old daughter? I remember not going to sleep that night, I was afraid I would die in the night. I have no good memories of my dad but God gave me a wonderful mom and grammie.

Mary...I shouldn't complain about DH so much, he does most of the housework, dishes at least once a day and cleans the bathroom. But he's a A type personality, everything has a place, put it there! It gives me plenty of time to do what I want, I love cooking from scratch and spend lots of hours in the kitchen. We bump along well together except for the occasional hick-up.

I divided a large roast into 3 sections and tried all 3 of the saltless seasonings yesterday. Two were Mrs. Dash's and the other was Greek Seasonings. We liked the Greek very much but added salt at the table. Tiffany's BF is used to saltless meat so he's probably like it.

Off to the YMCA.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 04-16-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #114  
Donna

Good Hola!

Bobbi - 27 days to get up and go to work (we work a 4-day week), and June 1st (well, accurately, it'll be May 30th) is the retirement date. Getting there!

From everything I've heard from friends and cronies, hip surgery is a far different experience than knee surgery.... much easier! Plus, KarenFL had both knees done at the same time, which is really terrifying. I. Am. Not. Anticipating. Any. Problems. I do hope she's out dancing, since she isn't visiting 3FC very often!

How awful for you that 1) you had shingles at age 10 (!!!!) and 2) that you had such a nasty father! That's a terrible thing to tell anyone, but especially a KID. Wowsers!

Carol Sue - it might be too late for the meds for your DH. I was told there's a 72 hour window for them to be effective, and it sounds like he's beyond that. Stubborn men! But his choice!!

Gorgeous here! I hope it continues... the WF are saying snow today and tomorrow, maybe. Maybe is the operative word. They're wrong much more than they're right!

Later, lovelies!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #115  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GGs!! It's kind of an overcast day, but dry. Dh just went to a nursery looking for some seedlings. I'm trying to decide whether to do my grocery shopping. I've been very achy the past week and don't feel like doing anything, but if I go today I get 10% off, and trying to decide if that is worth it. I'm not cooking again tonight as our dd and sil are taking dh out to eat and to the Blazer game as an early birthday gift. I'm happy for him, know he'll enjoy it. Since I'll be alone I'll just fix something easy/fast for myself.

I got up very late (10:30!!)...had already decided not to go to the gym...so all I've had so far today to eat is my pb mocha. I put in extra protein since I used almond milk. So it was a high protein, plus the usual carb and fat drink.

Donna - It must feel good to have a definite date for your surgery. While surgery is never fun sometimes it is needed and you have suffered so long.
And retirement too! Very exciting! happy for you!

bobbi - What a terrible thing to say to a child!! :mad. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Glad you had other family that were good to you. Sounds like you and your dh have a good thing going.

Wannabe - No you can't make him take the med. Does the antiviral cause him the dizziness etc? If so, maybe that's why he doesn't want to take it? Maybe the doctor could give him something else, I don't know. I took an antiviral when I had the flu about a 1 1/2 years ago and I had no problem with it but everyone's different. Yes I feel blessed with my dh. And realize too that when I was going to school and working, he was usually working three jobs (one was only one weekend a month), and still he helped all he could. It is not always so easy these days between the communication issues we already had and his loss of hearing. At times It's easy for me to feel sorry for myself but then I remember all the good things and am thankful.

Karen31 - I hope the Reglan does the trick. Will continue to pray for him and you. Yes, you've been apart too long, this is the time to hold each other close.

Last edited by maryea; 04-16-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Cute new do, Bobbi!

Well, I have had a winning streak at all kinds of contests, etc. this past week... including a mini makeover and photo session at my local Pharmasave (Canadian Drug Store/Pharmacy) photo department. I'm looking forward to that - I must use it within 2 weeks. On the other hand, I keep winning chocolate - twice on Safeway Grocery pull tab contests and also at the pharmacy (a huge Maxi Kinder Surprise Egg - over 100 grams), and a Lindt Dark Chocolate & Blackcurrant bar (100g). I also won a $5.00 gift card. When I was younger, my co-workers used to tease me because I didn't buy lottery tickets when they all pooled money for the office tickets. They always said they should rub my belly for luck (like a buddha, I guess ). My husband & I are only allowed to win every 60 days on our local radio station because I used to win so often - something every week like concert tickets, meals out, movies, etc.

New photo with my weight loss pounds - I have a new camera and the gal that took it for me didn't quite have the best angle - makes my legs look shorter than they are, but whatever.

Liana
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0016 (417x640).jpg (19.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #117  

Donna, every time DH says it hurts, I tell him that's because he didn't take the meds. He could be in for a very long haul with the pain because of his stubborn streak, but you're right, it's his choice.

Mary DH said the dizziness and nausea was from the anti-viral meds but he only took them for 1 day, and he still has the dizziness and nausea. His explanation is that the meds screwed up his system. He will make any excuse. When I called and told the doctor that he won't take the anti-viral and why, and told him he was in a lot of pain, he prescribed a stronger pain reliever, but you can't take them for that long.

Bobbi, my husband said the same thing about shingles...if they go all the way around and meet, you will die. I told him they never go all the way around. That should not have been told to a 10 year old. Such a mean man.

Very nice picture Liana!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey golden girls. Just a fast drop in. The long weekend of crawfish boils and barbecues and company at our house all weekend starts. It's a lot going on but will be fun. I hope everyone has a very blessed Easter.

Be back Monday.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #119  
Donna

Ah, Carol Sue, I think you need a lot of patience right now with your DH. He is NOT a good little patient, is he? BTW, shingles will not cross the quadrant they're in... so there's no way they'd ever go all the way around a body. He's just being a drama queen, I think!!

Thanks to all of you for the good thoughts re: my surgery. I am SO ready for it! I'm also SO ready for my retirement! I'm just tired, dontcha know? Maybe after I'm fixed and up dancing, I'll offer to go back to work, if my boss hasn't been institutionalized from the nervous breakdown she's going to give herself. At this point, though, I can't foresee it; I'm too much looking forward to some time for myself!

Nothing to report. Weight is status quo, but I have sugar cravings creeping back in, and I NEED TO STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY. It's so easy to backslide, isn't it?

Hope you're all well! Later, lovelies.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #120  

Donna, you definately have my husband pegged! LOL Funny thing is, he has been hospitalized several times and he is a perfect patient for them. The nurses all love him, and used to come in and watch TV with him during the late night when things slowed down a bit. I told him if he was in the hospital he would be doing everything they told him.

You are ready for your surgery and retirement. I hope things go well. I think you will like retirement. I love it. I tried to work 2 days a week but I was having medical issues then and had to quit completely. It is so nice to do whatever I want and not what someone else tells me to do.

Cajun - I want to come to your house for Easter weekend! It does sound like you all have a great time!
Closed Thread