Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Gayle....about 3 days on level one which is zero carbs and the cravings are gone. Lots of vegies and ff/sf stuff. The 1st 2 weeks on level one are tough but then it is really a good stable cardio diet. Something I can live with forever. Hey I'm almost done with week one. I am over the food poisoning except for the shame of some how doing to myself????? To maintain I stay at about 1.5 level. Really need the book to understand. k3
Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 200/200/135

Height: 5'2"

Well, the snow has blown around all day as if I still lived in the Panhandle of Texas! Can't believe it's this cold in Arkansas. So far court hasn't been cancelled for tomorrow so I'm very optimistic we will have it. Keeping fingers crossed!

Karen3 - I'm trying to think ahead as far as my meals are concerned. Just made a crustless pot pie from Healthy Choice and all I have to say is "Double Yuk". I watched Doc Martin on Net Flex last year when I was home sick for a week. There's only 5 seasons on there and I loved it!

Bobbolink - no I don't much like to cook, I did that all the years my kids were growing up and I'd just rather not now. But, I do on occasions. My 85 year old mom is in great shape and has walked on the treadmill several miles a day for years. Hope I can get in that habit.

Jess1 - is Samson the cat in your picture? Looks like a great snuggle partner. I'm allergic to cats, so I have a total of 6. Yes that's right. When I had the farm we were always having cats show up down at the barn. I am a HUGE animal lover so would tame them enough to get them in the carrier and off to the vet we'd go for either a spaying or to get neutered. I still go over daily and feed them at the barn. I'm still the only one that can touch several of them.

Cajunlady165 - where are you located in La? I have a nephew in Monroe. We went down last year and oh my it's so pretty. They live right on the Bayou and I had my eyes out for gators the whole time we were there. Never did see one thank goodness!

Akrosey49 - oh my, sounds like you have a really hard time with your legs. I wish we were closer for sure!

Guess I better get off here and go walk my last 30 minutes on the treadmill. Night all!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #63  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi Dee...I saw your post and was going to chat with you but my mind blanked out. I couldn't remember where you're from? Must be somewhere they grow oranges and grapefruit. Can you cover the plants?

Quote:
You ask how I am, I'm cold!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-05-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #64  
Jacksonville, FL

Northeast Florida after being born in Michigan and living most of my life, 40 years, in central Ohio...
Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #65  

Height: 5'3"

Well dh is now home and seems fine, no more pain or bleeding except when they removed his IV he bled a lot. The nurse was concerned. I know they can bleed but this was a lot more than I've ever seen. I asked what his platelet count was just to be sure and she checked and said it was 200. Normal is 150-400. I have to call his gastroenterologist this week to check on the result of the biopsy plus set up an appt for him so will tell him all about this episode too. I hope I remember to do it tomorrow as I have a C-T scan on my colon too. It's one thing after another for us these days! I have to remember everything for both of us so I'm setting up a record of our medical histories before I forget. Seems like this weekend flew by without my even knowing it! I got a really good sleep last night thankfully as I really needed it.

There was frost on the ground this am. So glad it wasn't snow as I don't like driving it snow or ice. The frost was just in the neighborhoods...and wasn't slippery so it was fine.

Robin - did I welcome you? Probably not so will say a big WELCOME now!! Glad you have you with us.

Karen3 - What diet is it you follow? My weight is stable but sill 4# up from what it was. I bought the Blue Bells book but haven't read it yet. Still reading The Red Tent and Breath of Knowledge.

Jess - Well, at first sight of so much blood, I was scared but overall I don't think we were really scared but we were both very calm and not really worried. I think our first thought was that it had something to do with the colonoscopy. The hardest part was convincing him we should go to the hospital. He thought he was ok and was just going to go back to bed. It would have been hard for me to sleep if we'd not gone as I knew things that could happen if he continued to lose that much blood and I felt we would be making the wrong decision. I think that's the main reason he consented to go because see after the hemorrhaging he no longer felt pain. Even though we still don't know for sure what caused it I'm glad we went.

Bobbi - Yes he likes to be active but he isn't as active during the winter as he is in the spring/summer. Mostly in the hospital he missed his cell phone! LOL He has communication with a large group of family in PI which he just loves after so many years of little communication with them. FB has been wonderful for him! But unfortunately we couldn't find his phone. In the ER he went to hand it to me and all he had was the case. I looked everywhere here at home, our son searched their car, the nurse even called and asked ER, and I had begun to think it probably dropped out of his belt case when he got out of the car...but guess what when getting dressed to come home, he finds it in the pocket of his shirt!! I had looked through his clothes but guess I didn't check that pocket well enough and maybe he needed the rest more than being on the phone....

Thank you for all the prayers, good thoughts and kind words. I'm thankful to have him back with me and he's glad to be back home. And esp thankful to have him feeling good again too.

Last edited by maryea; 01-05-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 AM   #66  

Hi everyone. I spent today toodling around with my dd and grdd. it was great to get out. Maryea im ao glad you dh is better,bet you are both relieved Bobbie my paralyzed feet and legs are a permanent thing. I don't dwel on it and am so greatful to be alive that every day is a gift. I updated my profile so the new goldens can see my journey and know whats up with me. im on page one under the bios on this page. ive been seeing adds for the 5 foods you should not eat as they are bad for you and they mess with your metabolism and hormones, it was an interesting video. the foods are
1. concentrated oj and other juces high fructose
2. margarine (eat butter)
3. whole wheat processed products
4. soy products (messes with your metabolism and hormones)
5. corn genetically altered corn products
they said the more natural,unaltered foods the better/ thought id share what I read and heard Hoping you all had a great weekend. rosey

breakfast
coffee
1 egg
1 piece toast with jelly

lunch
small bowl turkey vegi soup

dinner
taco salad
sour cream 2T and salsa

snack
coffee mocha
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 200/200/135

Akrosey49. - whole wheat products are bad for you? What was their reasoning? Also, how do we know about the genetically altered corn? Does it say something on the packaging? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #68  
Bobbi

Good Chilly Morning here, it was 53 degrees below zero with the wind chills. That makes for wonderful sleeping under warm quilts. A friend of ours had their furnace stop working, she said thank goodness for her electric oven and room heaters. The furnace guy had to have someone jump start his vehicle before he could service her furnace.

Rosey...thanks for posting that article, I've been reading about whole wheat food. You'd think it would be better than white. What are some examples of whole wheat processed foods?

Mary...good to know DH is home.

Dee...did your fruit trees survive last night?

Glynne...I have a whole list of foods the holistic chiropractor told me not to eat, yeast is one of them. If I stay on his 'do not eat list', my headaches are few. But I have a hard time not eating yeast breads, my fav.

Quote:
Friday's Menu
Calories 834 gram
Fiber 26
Breakfast: Fiber One w/skim milk, Chia & Flax seeds
Lunch: Hot soda bread with teaspoon of butter.
Supper: Cod Fish, Rice pilaf, mixed veggies
Evening snack: 2 servings of Almond pudding, thawed blueberries and double FF Cool Whip
Sunflower seeds
Middle of night I can't sleep snack. Pretzels

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Back in PA. My New Year's resolutions -

Get off sleeping pills & pain meds
Eat more vegetables
Eat more fruits
Eat more whole grains

Last night was my first night with no sleeping/pain pills. Slept between 4-6 and between 5-7. Will get better with time.

Fill you in on the details later - time for my book club discussion meeting. Got to run.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 01-06-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #70  
Jacksonville, FL

The freeze will be tonight and tomorrow night...
Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Ok here goes. :-/. I'm back from the camp. So here's the truth. I ate and drank everything that was in front of me. Lost total control. After the long journey of losing weight I was at 205. Before I went to the camp I was 226. So that's about 20 lbs up. Since Christmas until this morning I'm a 235. So now I'm up 30 lbs. I gained 10 lbs since Xmas. At the time I was enjoying myself but today I feel totally disgusted. I'm bloated and not sleeping due to all the sugar and carbs in my system. My pants are tight. Just horrible. Today I'm getting back on track and plan to jog on my trampoline starting today. That helps shed the lbs. why do I never learn. Why do I let myself get that many lbs grinned back before I get control.

Christmas was very good. My kids and their girls enjoyed their gifts. We left for the camp the day after Xmas. Dh and I hunted morning and afternoon. I was very tired at night. I could have killed a doe but chose not to. The bucks I did see were too small. My cousin and her dh came to the camp for the weekend. We had a very good visit. Sitting around the fire and of course eating. Dh built me this swing out rack thst goes over my fire pit. Saturday I cooked a pork and beef roast in a black iron pot over the fire. They said it was very good. I like cooking over the hot coals. Very challenging. For New Years we had about 40 people at our camp. They played the guitar and sang sitting around the fire. It was a very fun time. It's very good to be home and back to work.
Last night we got an artic blast and got down to 24. The high today is going to be 35. Tonight 17. That's cold for south louisiana. But the sun is shining so bright. Very beautiful day!!

Bobbi- 54 below. I thought 24 was cold. Bobbi my scale said 235 this morning. I changed my ticker. Ouch!!

Rosey-I'm sure it's cold up in Alaska too. I'm glad cranky pants got your chair fixed. Maybe that's why he is cranky. He just needed something to keep him busy.

Mary glad dh is better and home. Did you start adding fiber to your diet again. How is your body handling that? Glad you don't have to have surgery. Hopefully surgeon correct in his diagnosis. I understand how you feel about everything happening this year with you illness. I'm starting to feel the aches and pains of my age.

Robin- welcome!! Great bunch of ladies we have here. They will keep you on track. One of them has a rolling pin they like to use if you mess up on your food plan. Lol. I'm from south louisiana. A little town near Lafayette. But we live in the country not in town. The cousin that spent the weekend with us at the camp was from west Monroe. That's about 3.5 to 4 hours north of us. We live in the country and bayou Courtableau is in front of my house. We see alligators often. Otters beavers ducks too. Did you make it in to your court today?

Karen3 I'm back and my britches are pulled up and ready. Actually they are so tight there is no way for them to fall. Lol. Just give it to me girl. I'm ready for my butt chewing. Actually I deserve and need it. I was reading about you being carb craving free. I'm starting that this morning and it will take me 4 to 5 days for the cravings to subside.

Donna-are y'all snowed under with snow ice and cold temps?

Gayle-we did have fun but it cost me weight gain.

Karen31-are you under snow ice and cold temps too. It seems like most of the US in under thus artic blast.

Shell were you lost? I thought I had saw you earlier and then you were gone. Welcome back!!

I hope I got everyone. Sorry if I missed you.

Be back later.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #72  
Bobbi

This was a list of 88 snacks under 100 calories but I started deleting some of them because of my personal preference. I didn't want to use printer ink on foods I can't have because of migraines. Like hard cheese, chocolate or just a taste of something that I don't have will power over. But decided to leave them so those of you that can eat or handle small portions to check out the list.
Quote:
100 calories or less
Chocolate Banana: Half a frozen banana dipped in two squares of melted dark chocolate.
Frozen grapes (any color): 1 cup (about 28 grapes), stuck in the freezer for 2+ hours.
Spiced Orange: One orange— about the size of a tennis ball— sprinkled with cinnamon.
Grilled Pineapple: 2 ¼-inch thick pineapple rounds (about 1 cup), grilled (or sautéed) for two minutes or until golden.
Berries n’ Cream: 1 cup blueberries with 2 tablespoons whipped topping.
Oats n’ Berries: ⅓ cup rolled oats (cooked with water), topped with cinnamon and ¼ cup fresh berries.
Dark Chocolate: One block, or three squares.
Nut-Stuffed Date: One Medjool Date filled with one teaspoon natural unsalted almond butter.
Chocolate Milk: 6 ounces skim milk mixed with 2 teaspoons chocolate syrup.
Cinnamon Applesauce: 1 cup unsweetened applesauce. Or, try this homemade version!
Citrus-Berry Salad: 1 cup mixed berry salad (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries) tossed with one tablespoon fresh-squeezed orange juice.
Maple-Pumpkin Yogurt: ½ cup non-fat regular yogurt (go Greek for extra protein!) with 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree and 1 teaspoon maple syrup… like this!
Chocolate Pudding: One 4oz package. Try a fat/sugar free version or a homemade one!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries: Five strawberries dipped in two squares melted dark chocolate.
Tropical Juice Smoothie: ¼ cup pineapple juice, orange juice, and apple juice, blended with ice.
Vanilla and Banana Smoothie: ½ cup sliced banana, ¼ cup nonfat vanilla yogurt, and a handful of ice blended until smooth.
MYO Banana Chips: One sliced banana dipped in lemon juice and baked.
Baked Apple: One tennis ball-sized apple, cored, filled with 1 teaspoon brown sugar and cinnamon, and baked until tender.
Skinny S’more: Two graham crackers with one roasted marshmallow and one small square dark chocolate.
Cinnamon Graham Crackers & Peanut butter: Two graham cracker squares with 1 teaspoon peanut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Milk n’ Cookies: Five animal crackers with ½ cup skim milk.
Warm Spiced Cider: 6 ounces apple cider with sprinkles of cinnamon and nutmeg, warmed.
Citrus Sherbet: ½ cup lime sherbet (about one standard-sized ice-cream scoop) with ½ sliced kiwi.
Café Latte: 8 ounces steamed skim milk with 1 shot espresso.
Jelly Beans: 25 of ‘em! Although we don’t recommend these.
Marshmallow Pear: ½ pear diced and topped with 1 tablespoon marshmallow fluff.
Protein Shake: One scoop protein powder with 8 ounces water (choose from tasty powder flavors like cookies n’ cream and chocolate peanut butter!).
M.Y.O. Popsicle: 8 ounces lemonade frozen in an ice pop mold, or use a small paper cup as a mold.
Apple Chips: Munch on ¾ cup of kinds like these, or use this recipe!
Carrots n’ Hummus: About 10 baby carrots with 2 tablespoons hummus.
Pistachios: A couple handfuls— about 25 nuts (Crackin’ them open will take more time and avoid grabbing 25 more).
Cheese n’ Crackers: Five Kashi 7-grain crackers with 1 stick reduced-fat string cheese.
Cheesy Breaded Tomatoes: Two roasted plum tomatoes sliced and topped with 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Curried Sweet Potato: One medium sweet potato (about 5 inches long) cooked for six minutes in the microwave and mashed with 1 teaspoon curry, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
“Cheesy” Popcorn: 2 cups air-popped popcorn with 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast— it’ll taste like real cheese! Beware, nutrtitional yeast has MSG in it.
Guacamole stuffed Egg Whites: Halve a hardboiled egg, remove yolk, and stuff the empty space with 2 tablespoons guacamole (avocado, lime, cilantro and salt).
Grilled Spinach and Feta Polenta: 3 oz polenta (about the size of a deck of cards) cooked with 1 ½ cups water and topped with 1 teaspoon feta cheese and a handful spinach.
Soy Edamame: ¼ cup boiled Edamame with 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
Dijon Pretzels: Two pretzel rods with 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Yum, I'm trying this one.
Crunchy Curried Tuna Salad: ½ cup canned tuna with 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, and two ribs celery (chopped).
Greek Tomatoes: One tomato (about the size of a tennis ball) chopped and mixed with 1 tablespoon feta and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Shrimp Cocktail: Eight medium sized shrimp boiled and served with 2 tablespoons classic cocktail sauce.
Smoked Beef Jerky: About 1 ounce— look for low sodium versions!
Cheddar and Tomato Soup: ½ cup tomato soup with 1 tablespoon shredded low-fat cheddar cheese.
Kale Chips: ½ cup raw kale— stems removed— baked with 1 teaspoon olive oil at 400° until crisp. I will try this today since I have fresh Kale in frig.
Sweet Potato Fries: One light-bulb sized sweet potato sliced, tossed with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and baked at 400° for 10 minutes.
Cucumber Sandwich: ½ English muffin with 2 tablespoons cottage cheese and three slices of cucumber.
Turkey Roll-Ups: Four slices smoked turkey rolled up and dipped in 2 teaspoons honey mustard.
Mixed Olives: About 8 olives. Nope, I can't stop at 8 olives.
Antipasto Plate: One Pepperocini, a ½ inch cube of cheddar cheese, one slice pepperoni, and one olive.
Pumpkin Seeds: 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, sprayed with oil (just a spritz!) and baked at for 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
Choco-Soy Nuts: 3 tablespoons soy nuts with 1 teaspoon cocoa nibs.
Wasabi Peas: About ⅓ cup of these green treats. Ick!
Balsamic Veggies: 3 cups raw peppers (any color!) dipped in 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction.
Cheesy Roasted Asparagus: Four spears (spritzed with olive-oil spray) and topped with 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, baked for 10 minutes at 400°.
Cucumber salad: One large cucumber (sliced) with 2 tablespoons chopped red onion and 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar.
Spinach and Feta Egg-White Scramble: Three egg whites scrambled and mixed with ½ cup raw spinach and 1 tbsp feta cheese. Cook in frying pan or zap in microwave until egg whites are no longer runny (about 1-2 minutes).
Crunchy Kale Salad: 1 cup kale leaves chopped with 1 teaspoon honey and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
Chick Pea Salad: ¼ chickpeas with 1 tablespoon sliced scallions, a squeeze of lemon juice, and ¼ cup diced tomatoes.
Grilled Garlic Corn on the Cob: One small-sized ear brushed with 1 teaspoon sautéed minced garlic and 1 teaspoon olive oil, grilled until tender.
Pretzels & Cream Cheese: 15 mini pretzel sticks with 2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese.
Bacon Brussels Salad: Seven brussel spouts thinly sliced and mixed with one piece lean bacon, chopped.
Rosemary Potatoes: ⅓ cup thinly sliced potato tossed with 1 teaspoons olive oil and a teaspoon of chopped rosemary.
Spicy Black Beans: ¼ cup black beans with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon non-fat Greek yogurt.
Caprese Salad: 1 ounce (hockey puck sized) of fresh mozzarella with ½ cup cherry tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar.
Goldfish: About 40 fishies…try the cheddar kind!
Chips n’ Salsa: 10 baked tortilla chips with ¼ cup salsa.
Mini Ham Sandwich: Two slices honey-baked ham with 2 teaspoons honey mustard rolled in a lettuce leaf.
Lox Bagel: ½ whole-wheat mini bagel with two thin slices of lox.
Chocolate Trail Mix: Eight almonds, four chocolate chips, and 1 tablespoon raisins.
Apples and Cheese: 1 non-fat mozzarella cheese stick with half of a baseball-sized apple (any variety), sliced.
PB & Celery: 1 medium celery stalk with 1 tablespoon peanut butter.
Cottage Cheese Melon Boat: 1 cup melon balls with ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese.
Carrot and Raisin Salad: 1 cup shaved carrots with 2 tablespoons raisins and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
Tropical Cottage Cheese: ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese with ½ cup fresh mango and pineapple, chopped.
Blue-Cheese Stuffed Apricots: Three dried apricots with 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese.
Rice Cake and Almond Butter: One rice cake (try brown rice!) with 2 teaspoons almond butter.
Sweet n’ Spicy Pecans: Five pecans roasted with 2 teaspoons maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Apples n’ Peanut Butter: ½ an apple, sliced and dipped in 1 teaspoon natural peanut butter.
Chocolate Hazelnut Crackers: Four wheat thins dipped in 1 teaspoon Nutella (or other hazelnut spread).
Strawberry Salad: 1 cup raw spinach with ½ cup sliced strawberries and 1 tablespoon balsamic.
Cacao-Roasted Almonds: Pop in eight almonds like these! Who can stop at 8?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-06-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #73  
Bobbi

Robin...One tip you can use between meals that work for me, pre-package up snacks and have the calories on the outside of the zip bags. Like I make up sunflower seed and pretzel packets.
You can put your quota of water in a pretty container and leave out on the counter top, sip during the day. I recycled an ornate almond/coconut milk container, put black and white designed duck tape around the neck to match my kitchen. (It's see thru so I know how much is left to drink)
I make up my breakfast packets for a week at a time, oatmeal, chia & flaxseeds and Fiber One with the seeds. I have the frozen blueberries and frozen peaches in zip bags in the portions I use for oatmeal breakfasts.
The more packets you can make up, the better. The chances of popping a few extra morsels in your mouth while getting a snack will add up the calories.
All the Golden Girls have tricks that work for them, maybe you all can share what works for you.
KarenMo...has Slim Fast everyday for lunch, quick and easy. BTW, what did your temps get last night?

Quote:
I have to get in the flow of what to eat. I'm not much of a cook so have a really hard time on the weekends figuring out what to eat and staying out of the cabinets just cruising the shelves between meals. Ugh!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-06-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

The Details -

After my sister died in May, my eating became VERY unhealthy (even with Jenny Craig) and I have been taking more and more sleeping & pain pills.

My calories stayed low so that I did not gain weight, but almost all the cals were from sweets (ice cream, cake, cookies, and JC deserts). I went from 1 sleeping pill and 1/2 a pain pill to 3 sleeping pills and 1.5 pain pills.

I need to get out of this downward spiral. For a start, I will get back to posting here every day & will post my progress with pills & veggies & fruits.

Lynn
Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Lynn I don't have the pain problem but I do have the can't sleep problem. It's because of the sugar in my diet. Sugar and caffeine will keep me awake all night. I take over the shelf sleep aid and the longer I take it the more I have to take. I'm trying to get back into a better diet and hope it gets better. Good luck. We can do this. One day at a time!!!
Hugs
Cajun
Closed Thread