3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Funny but sad.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/290613-funny-but-sad.html)

gonnadoitthistime 12-13-2013 08:27 PM

Funny but sad....

I have finally started to lose weight, have dropped 45 pounds, slowly, and was motivated by the silliest thing- I bought 2 skirts at a resale shop that were way too small, but were only $1 each. At first I felt ashamed that I had the "nerve" to buy these two skirts, and that started me thinking of my complacency and how I had lumped getting older with so many other things-no more fun clothes, no more being attractive etc etc. These realizations just don't stop, I am also remembering how many people throughout my life have felt entitled to put me down because of weight, and this goes all the way back 40 years, when I was young and normal weight, includes female friends, boyfriends, bosses etc etc A part of me feels really sad for the young woman I was, and for other women who go through so much of life concentrating on perceived flaws rather than enjoying being who they are.

In the past few years, with the magic of the internet, some of these people have contacted me, old boyfriend, old "best" friend, former neighbor, and I was not keen on hearing from each of them, but felt guilty for not wanting to reconnect, and slowly realized how the guilt was me not being kind to myself, and the aversion to these overtures was actually very healthy. Rambling post, sorry!!!!

EagleRiverDee 12-16-2013 02:30 PM

That's not so silly, I don't think. I say it's good to have a motivator, whatever it is, so long as it's positive and helping you to get healthy! :) I have some clothing I refuse to get rid of because *by gosh* I'm going to get into them in 2014! :)

maryea 12-16-2013 07:26 PM

The main thing is you keep trying. I have the same problem losing and gaining over and over again. What ever you can use to keep you motivated, do it. What has been helping me recently is Myfitnesspal.com. I use both the website and the phone app..both are free. Just tracking calories helps to a certain extent but with me, if I want to eat I will do it so that alone doesn't help enough. But here's a little secret that's does help me....at the bottom of the food diary there is a button that says I'm done with entries or something like that and when I click on that it tells me what my weight will be in 5 weeks if I eat like I did that day every day. For some reason that makes me think about what I'm eating (or about to eat) more than anything...I make my goal to aim for no more than where I want my weight to be or at least no more than I am currently weighing (if I really really want to eat). I try to do this before I eat anymore in the evening which is my most difficult time and this often means I have to stop eating. Somehow when I see that number and it's too high, I think oh, no, I don't want to see that number! If it's low I try different foods and see what I can eat and fit where I want to be. May seem a little silly but so far it is working for me. Whatever works for you, just don't give up!

Ranch Girl 02-15-2014 12:39 AM

Stay the course. You are doing wonderful with your weight loss. One thing I've done is join Pinterest and I post beautiful things all day long and I don't think once about a piece of clothing not fitting..like I shouldn't be allowed to pin it. But rather I think about how great it is going to be to be able to try on smaller clothes and prettier clothes as I get smaller. My pinning has changed my internal talk and let's me feel beautiful inside and out as I look at my boards and all the possibilities in front of me.

You just keep moving forward...some days are harder than others...but don't stop...

Ranch Girl