Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~December Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? 70 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #2  
Bobbi

Ho Ho Ho everyone, time to think about Christmas, decorations, family and food. Skinny food that is!

You're welcome K3.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Okay! Thank you Bobbi Okay! Thank you Bobbi

This is a season of joy and lets make this month be full of the wonderful and joyful things in our lives. Instead of negatives lets look at the positives. We can do this girls! k3
Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #4  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

HaHa, HaHa, KarenFL!

Happy December, All!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good December morning GG's,

Yippee ~ only 4 more weeks left of 2013 ~ keeping positive thoughts that 2014 will be a better year

Maybe yesterday was a turn around point of things beginning to look up. It was a good day. Beautiful weather ~ about 70* and sun shining.

We did not go shopping on Thursday or Black Friday, but ventured out on Saturday afternoon. The places we went weren't too bad ~ not crowed or unruly rude people. Thank goodness. We weren't doing Christmas shopping, just some regular errands and hitting a good sale on fabric.

Fleece was on sale 70% off at Joann Fabric, so I got a piece for DD Jen's baby (due in March) one for her little girl Evie. I had made one for Evie when she was a baby, but wanted to make her one now (she is 3 yrs old) that she is a "big girl" I make those no sew blankets, you just tie knots in the fringe around the edge. I have made them for Corbin and Maddie, a baby one for Evie. They are easy to do, and fun. They are really supposed to be made of two layers of fleece tied together, but I found that one layer is plenty warm enough.

Also got a piece to make one for the big kid ~ DH. There was a piece he thought was cute and wanted to get for Evie, but DD Jen probably wouldn't have liked it, she's kind of uppity. So, I told him ~ why don't we get you a piece of the one you like, and we'll let Maddie do the knot tieing and make one for Grandpa. I guess the price was good enough that he didn't think that was a frivolous thing to do.

Then got a couple pieces for a project for Maddie to work on. She has been wanting to learn to sew, but she is not patient with herself, and is easily frustrated. She wants her efforts to turn out looking ~ not like something a beginner made, but something made by someone who has been doing it a long time. We keep telling her, that it takes practice and patience. Anyway, I found this pattern for a version of the no sew blanket ~ where you have squares like a quilt that you tie together. I showed it to Sara and she felt that that would be something that Maddie could do. There are 48 squares, so that should keep her busy for a while. She can work on it at her own pace, and if she doesn't take to it now, we can probably put it up until she is interested in it.

Found a shirt in the right size and color to finish a sewing project I was working on.

Found the hose to my air pump for the air mattress, so that was good, didn't have to buy another one.

DH had coupons for a free burger for each of us for supper.

It was a good day.

DD Sara has a friend who she introduced to DS Jason a time back. They have spent some time together the last couple weekends ~ seem to have hit it off. Maybe this one will work out for him. He seems to be "unlucky in love". So, keeping my fingers crossed for him. Also for him to find a job. His work place is closing the end of this month.

Now if DD Sara would get her head screwed on straight and leave scum boy in her dust........(sorry, K3 ~ hope that thought didn't violate the keep it positive rule for December).

Donna ~ like your December avatar pic

Come on sun shine ~ come back today.

Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 12-01-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Reporting back about the one bowl apple cake. I burned my tongue eating it hot out of the oven. It is a keeper recipe. The changes I made with Splenda brown sugar/apple sauce/half ww flour were fine. It looked like apple slices in cake batter and baked in a lump. Oh and cut the cinnamon to 1 TBsp.

I have a new 3FC role......ear worm.....If you screw up you will hear me nagging you. Right? Cajun?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Karen3, your recipe sounds good. So you used Splenda brown sugar for the regular sugar in the recipe? Also did you use egg beaters for the eggs? How much applesauce did you use for the fat?

We've had a fun day. Took the kids to the hotel where mama and daddy were staying and they took them to the park to get them all set up for the run. We went to Starbucks for breakfast and then to the run. It was fun to watch all the little ones. Our gs ran alone but his little sis "ran" with mama. At first she refused to run, so mama said ok we can skip...so they skipped then toward the end she got more enthusiastic and they ran. I think our gs (7) was in first place but it was really hard to tell for sure. They didn't award them according to place at this age (everyone got a medal and a candy cane), and I was also a bit confused about the different waves. But he was fast and certainly one of the first if not first. Very proud of him! I think it will be the first of many runs for him. So another runner in the family.

Then we went to Home Depot for a small item and left with a lighted tree. I've wanted one for a while. We got the cheapest 6.5 ft. we could get but it's fine just for us. We'll set it up sometime this week probably. Dh plans to hang the outside lights the first part of the week. Our son ended up not having time to help but he really doesn't need help, just was going to take it since it was offered.

Seems like everyone is starting Christmas early this year. Even I am beginning to get into the shopping mood although I probably wouldn't last long in the stores. Going to start looking online.

Gayle - Sounds like you had a productive day. Can't say I've gotten much done with the kiddos in the house. I got them to bed at just right time (instead of late like Friday) last night but they woke up at 5:30 talking and laughing. I thought oh, no...but then they got really quiet so guess they went back to sleep and slept til about 7:20 am....a reasonable time for us to get up and get ready to go to the run.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #8  
Want to feel better

Thinking of you K3 ~ turkey sandwich ~ yum

Thought of Donna earlier ~ steamed cabbage and polish sausage ~ again ~ yum
Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #9  

I just posted a turkey and dumpling soup I made tonight that we really liked so thought I'd share. Now all our turkey lefitovers are gone! Since we don't usually eat much, I made 1/2 the recipe except I did keep the broth the same to be sure it had enough broth. Dh likes his food pretty moist. Turned out just right.

Last edited by maryea; 12-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #10  

I everyone I had such a wonderful thanksgiving with my family,good food, and lots of laughing. it was -20 out but we were nice and warm. thurs nite my dd and grdd and I went to pre sales at wallmart. crazy but fun,everyone well behaved and respectful,i had to wait for a ridey cart. my grdd was looking for the new play station game.. she didn't get one but I scored on a cool pics Nikon camera for 49$ that I had been wanting. then sat us girls went to the craft fair( where I got a pair of beach glass earrings,and ajar of pepper apple jelley Yum ),shopping at the mall and then to bingo,it was such fun to have agirls day out. everyone left early this am. including my steve. hes having surg on his neck Monday am. since I don't drive and my dd house isn't handicapped set up and hard for me to function there without steves help. we decided it would be easier for me to stay home. my youngest was going to drive me up for the day however she couldn't get the day off. so my dd will stay with her dad and keep me informed on steve. hes suppose to be in the hosp 2 days and then we can fly him home. its a 4 hr drive but a 20 min flight from anch to kenai. im a bit apprehensive and guilty for not being there but steve understands and wants me at home safe taking care of the dogs and house where I can manage very well alone. where as my dd and her husband both work and I cant manage my dogs and my self alone at her house. as long as my dd will be there to make sure hes ok then im good with things as they are. hope you all had agreat thanksgiving rosey
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #11  
Bobbi

We're headed to the Y, so this will be short.

K3...what was the recipe you said was a keeper?

Donna...I didn't even notice the new avatar until Glynne mentioned it....how cute! The cat didn't look like she/he enjoyed getting his pic taken.
Mary...I made soup yesterday too, mine was a 5 Star recipe I printed off allrecipes.com. Turkey Taco soup, made enough for tonight's supper too. I'll check yours out when I click off.

My jeans are a tad tighter this morning, why? I'm not going to ruin my day by getting on the scale, just need to put that @#$%^&* GREAT PUMPKIN DESSERT away. I tried to make them diet friendly, used fat free evaporated milk, Stevia and egg beaters in them. The pumpkin dessert is to die for. Anyone make them for Thanksgiving? It's a basic pumpkin pie recipe for the bottom of a 9x12 pan, then top it off with dry cake mix that you've chopped up butter and walnuts in. I hide it in the back of the frig this morning so I won't see it. That works right?

Rosey...We'll all be thinking of Steve and his surgery, pray for a good doctor and his healing. We've been watching the Alaska below zero reality show, you said some of it is fiction? We still enjoy watching those folks that live on the land. The cop series from Alaska is interesting too.
Bruce is calling....bye

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-02-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #12  
Want to feel better

Bobbi ~ I have a similar Thanksgiving dessert recipe. I don't especially care for pumpkin pie, but this dessert as you say ~ is to die for. It came from one of those little tear out recipe booklets that are in magazines ~ especially at holiday time. This one from Womans Day ~ with recipes using Bisquick.

The crust part is bisquick, quick oats, brown sugar and margarine mixed together until crumbly and baked a few mintues, then pumpkin pie fixed up like pie filling and poured over top and baked a little more, then finally topped with some brown sugar, margarine and chopped nuts and sprinkled on the top and baked a little more. Refrigerate and serve topped with cool whip.

Hiding it in the back of the fridge doesn't work for this one either Bobbi.

In a similar tear out booklett ~ with recipes for Quaker oats, is a recipe I use for some of the left over turkey. A casserole ~ kind of like a stew on the bottom topped with biscuits on the top. Yum.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #13  

finally got back to the gym today. Didn't walk as fast or jog as I usually do but I walked faster on the short ends and then slowed down for the whole last lap except for places I had to jog around people. I got my mile in and then I rode the bike going to no where for 12 min. Also used the hand bike for 6 min and a couple other machines for a couple reps of 10. It was enough for first day back. I wish I could get back to being more consistent. My weight is slowly dropping back down but I have to admit I haven't really tracked my eating. I start out tracking but then forget or don't want to bother to look up ingredients for something I made. Trying to stick to it today. Talking about recipes I prepared some great St Louis Style spareribs for Thanksgiving. Everyone loved them. I only tasted a bit but it was good to me too. It was not diabetic friendly however. I'm keeping the recipe though for company/get-togethers.

We ran some errands on the way home, and since I've been home, I've been doing the first of the month budgeting, did some decluttering, cleaning and rearranging of my cupboards and pantry, and just now I put banana bread in the oven. I very rarely bake but didn't want to waste the bananas. No actual "housework" done so far today though.

Dh hung the Christmas outside lights and has brought in the new tree and decorations. Not sure when I'll get to it though.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning. The tree is up and everything decorated. I'm having a difficult time getting into the Xmas spirit. I'm feeling the effects of both our sons living in their own homes. Then came the stockings. What to do with those. I'm thinking I might buy 2 more for the girls and stuff them all. I loved watching them dig in their stockings.
Saturday only deer stand I had a buck come out in front of me but it was a little too dark to make out what kind of horns he had. So I didn't shoot. I watched 4 deer for 1 1/2 hours. The time passed quickly.

Karenfl ok here goes. Don't be too rough on me. I had a difficult weekend but I'm back on plan. Will it cost me a gain yes probably so. Weigh in is tomorrow. Hope it's not too bad.

Bobbi please send some of your Xmas spirit my way. I feel like a grinch.

Gayle it sounds like you have the Xmas spirit too. Thinking good thoughts for ds and his new friend.

Work calls. No time left. Hi to all I missed.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #15  
Bobbi

Cajun...put on some Christmas music, think of stocking stuffers for everyone and go shopping!
Quote:
Bobbi please send some of your Xmas spirit my way. I feel like a grinch.
Closed Thread