2013 Challenge - The Rest of the Story

You're on Page 6 of 28
Go to
  • todays cals-1810, exerc-body sculpt at the Y.

Gayle-I enjoyed your story about the kitty walk. Always nice to have company.

Marie-Okay 1800 is about as close as I can get to your 1400 cals. I would be a whiny, crying baby on 1400 cals. I am suffering on 1800-not from hunger actually-I am just craving a sugar fix. Oh well, tonight reason prevails and I am sticking at 1810 calories for the day.
  • Gayle at the kitty story but LOVED that you were dedicated and got in a bike ride. Way to go!!!!

Tera, you don't want to be me. Your metabolism is way better. And I didn't get my 1400-1500 cals today. I ended at about 1570 cals. I had the sugar cravings like you did when I got home from work. But I'm still happy with less than 1600 calories. And you did your 1800 calorie goal. That is excellent. We're all on track now. Now the goal is to stay there.

I rode my bike this morning for 30 minutes. I was supposed to yoga and got carried away with figuring out my quilt square directions. Hmmm. And then I did Duolingo (really cool way to re-learn a foreign language). I'm re-learning my college French. So the yoga got totally forgotten. C'est la vie. Tomorrow is a non-yoga day and I will instead do today's routine.
    Marie
  • todays cals-1955, exc-step class. Okay day. At least I am under 2000. I said no to myself when I wanted to go out to eat instead of cooking and also refused to allow myself the extra liquid calories I was considering when I was making my dinner. Life is tough!!

Gayle-Hi! Hope you are out there having fun riding your bike!

Marie-I have a confession-I ate more food after posting last night. I made chili to take for my lunches this week and could not resist eating some. I will keep aiming for the illusive 1800 number though. Perhaps I should aim for 1600 and then maybe I would hit 1800! You use your evenings for such interesting things-yoga, quilting and now foreign language. Neat. I usually read but now and then-like tonight-I watch TV. Tonight is Nashville!
  • Hi all, I will finish the day at 1531 cals and I did a vigorous elliptical workout. My legs are still tired 13 hours later. I know I said I'd yoga but... my friend's mother (very elderly) fell and broke her arm and my friend boarded her son's husky when she went to her mom. That's expensive since the dog is actually her adult's son's dog and he can't keep him (at least for the present) because of living arrangements. So I offered to pick up Coal and let the boy play with my girls. So all three huskies are the same age (5-6) and haven't stopped playing since I brought Coal home. I'm thinking yoga on the floor sounds dangerous. I will yoga tomorrow morning and if they're still trotting around, I'll set up my computer in my craft room and close the gate. But for now, I don't want to lock myself away from them. Having a visitor is new for my pups.

Tera, at least chili is healthy. at aiming for 1600 so you might hit 1800. I felt that was when I entered my cals for the day. I wanted 1400-1500 and I will be over a little. C'est la vie. All done with my French lesson for the evening. I will work on cutting out the strips for the log cabin blocks for my quilt.
    Marie
  • I haven't done so well the last couple days. Did not get my bike ride in either day. Didn't eat so well today.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Feeling kind of blue. Don't know why. Kind of goes in cycles. My sister thinks it has something to do with the full of the moon. Maybe

I think partly, I feel kind of lost sometimes. I lost my job back in August. My husband is trying to work it out so I can retire. I really want that, but guess I am having a hard time adjusting to that. Also, I used to talk to my mom every day ~ 2 or 3 times a day. Usually on my way to work, on my way home from work and right before I went to bed. We joked about that ~ I told her I was calling to get tucked in. But now with my mom in a nursing home, I don't get to talk to her that much. Not always every day, and not for that long of a time. So, maybe after years of talking to her every day ~ I am kind of lonely. Even though she has alzheimers, we were still able to talk and have fun. She has always been a good listener, and she never lost her sense of humor. We joked that she was my therapist.

I get kind of tickled with her ~ she will talk to me for about 10 minutes, then she gets to itching (nosey ) to get back over by the other people to see what is going on. I am glad for her though that she likes to be around the other people and not just sit in her room all alone.

I have friends I can talk to, but the topic eventually turns to my troubles ~ lately with my brother. It just kind of all spills out. So, I hesitate to talk to my friends, I don't want to drive them away by venting about my troubles. They probably get tired of that. Hopefully someday, I will be able to visit with my friends and have a pleasant conversation.

Oh well. Thank you for listening. Writing therapy I guess.
  • todays cals-2060, ex-body sculpt at the Y. I did okay especially considering I attended the neighborhood bookclub meeting tonight and there were lots of goodies. I tried to be moderate and not greedy. My calories may be low since I had to guess on the slice of pie from said meeting-hopefully I am not too far off but as a wise woman once said "c'est la vie".

Glynne-I am sorry about the troubles. Glad you took the opportunity to vent. Life is throwing you some doozies. I have been in and out of jobs several times in the last few years so I am familiar with that bit of unpleasantness. Plus you have the family stuff as well. It is nice you have such a sweet mom-I can see how you would miss the talks. I hope things get better with your brother. For what it is worth- I have four brothers and my philosophy is "take them as they are".

Marie-How nice of you to take in Coal. It sounds kinda fun. How long will he be staying? With that many animals you will surely be induced to take some long walks. That could help make up for missing the time on the yoga mat.
  • Gayle, you can always vent with us. If you're lonely, you'll know we care about what you write. Of course we can't resolve the problem and loss you feel at having your mom in the nursing home, but knowing people care is mighty important. One thing to remember that exercise has been proven to release those endorphins that make one feel better. Even if you don't feel like it, 99 times out of a 100, if you force yourself to move, you will feel better.

Tera, moderation is good. Très bon. I can't imagine living my life eating perfectly. It is never going to happen. I like food way too much for that. It's enjoyment and fun. Making that go away would be like losing a best friend. So moderation is where my aim is. So I think you did great.

Today I did a great job on my food. I travelled over the mountain for a conference. They had a catered lunch. Thankfully I brought a protein bar. The food seemed healthy but both types of wraps had soy foods in them. So I just had a little salad and my protein bar. I'm ending the day at 1430-ish calories. Woot. And I did yoga this morning (brought my macbook into the craft room and did the routine in there. I also road my bike and did my French lesson. So a good day on the food, exercise and strengthening brain (French). And tomorrow is FRIDAY! Woots.
    Marie
  • Thank you Marie and Tera for your kind words. Eventually things will get better. So, I just take one day at a time and if I do ok ~ good, if I don't do so good ~ well tomorrow is a new day.

Eating today was so-so. Bike ride did not get beyond the thinking stage. I did look at the "Y" schedule and there is a deep water aerobics M-W-F at 8:30 in the mornings that I am thinking about trying out. It would kind of change things up a little bit. I love the water.

Saw this pic on Facebook today ~ a good thought to hold on to.

• Gayle, it is a good thought. I bet you'd love the deep water aerobics. I did aqua-jogger at our Y several years ago and it was wonderfully fun. If I wasn't working, I'd do it again.

Tera, hope all is going well. How is your new (not so new anymore) job? I haven't asked in a while.

I will end the day at 1486 calories. Truthfully, I'd be at 1436 but since I could still be under 1500 and have a dark chocolate truffelette, I figured, give me the chocolate. Today would normally be an elliptical day but on Wednesday, my workout irritated the asthma and my legs were exhausted. So I decided a nice long hike with the 3 pups was in order this morning. Coal was so-so on the walk but we had fun. Tomorrow I will elliptical and yoga. I'll walk the pups if it isn't raining. If it's snowing (definitely possible) the Siberian Huskies will love trotting through it. And TGIF!!! Work was so hectic, I'm exhausted from sitting at my desk all day. Stress is tiring, there is no doubt.
    Marie
  • 30 minute bike ride. I'm back on track with that for today. Food, I hope to do right. Feeling frustrated ~ and wanting to chew the walls ~ LOL. Working on the unemployment stuff and it is frustrating and stressful ~ I want to chew something LOL.
  • Last night when I was reading in bed I realized I got side tracked when I grabbed my laptop to post here. I'd looked up I was at 1686 cals and was going to report in. But something sidetracked me. If I'd had my iPad instead of my kindle to read in bed, I'd have posted. Since the pups were already settled in their beds I decided not to get up for my iPad. I was tempted though. I also had a good elliptical workout yesterday. Then I ripped the new yoga DVD so I could put it on my iPad and have it play anywhere with ease. That will make using it easier.

Gayle good job on the bike ride. I laughed at the chew the walls. I was that way yesterday morning. I hate when I feel like pacman wanting to munch my way through the day. I hope we both don't have that feeling today.
    Marie
  • todays cals-2200. Enjoyed a great weekend with the family. I went "Christmas" shopping on Saturday and ended up buying myself a new coat, a pair of black boots, a red sweater and snowflake earrings. My kind of Christmas shopping! Eating this weekend was on the high side but I made cabbage soup tonight so maybe I can be good this week to help make up for it.

Gayle-Try not to sweat the unemployment stuff too much. It gets easier with time and practice. Trust me, I have had a lot of experience with unemployment. It is not any more pleasant even with practice but you can get in the groove of sending resumes and going on interviews and making good use of your time in the meanwhile.

Marie-Great job with the cals and exercise. My new job is keeping me busy. I think I am being useful to them. I am getting a new computer this week which will make my life ten zillion times better. I got kicked out of the accounting software last week and only half an entry was recorded. Having never had experience with getting kicked out and half entries, it took most of a day to find the error and that was only after backing up two days. Thus the new computer, yea!!!
  • I missed yesterday ~ the exercise part. Did only so-so with the eating.

Walked 30 minutes on the treadmill (in 3 ten minute chunks) and got a bonus 10 minutes on the bicycle. Eating has been pretty good today.
  • Hi Gayle, you're doing well with the exercise.

Tera, sounds like you job is going well. That's great news. It's frustrating when technology that is supposed to save us loads of time takes forever to figure out where it messed up. I do like your Christmas shopping.

I am at 1550 cals for the day. I cannot say they were overly healthy calories. I need to do better with the munching. I'm on a caramel kick - you know the Kraft ones that you melt for caramel apples. I just unwrap them and let them melt in my mouth. And they are addicting. I did have a really good elliptical workout this morning. At least I stopped the cals before they took me off path.
    Marie
  • yest cals-2230, ex-step class. I missed posting yesterday because I was feeling a bit low. My dear aunt died. She was very old and very ill but it was still sad.

Gayle-You posted a pretty decent day. Keep up the good work.

Marie-Yumm, caramels. I would have a very hard time stopping with those also. So perfect for the season too. Those food scientists know what they are doing! I say enjoy and then back to the hard work of weight loss!