2013 Challenge - The Rest of the Story

You're on Page 16 of 28
Go to
  • cals-2055 (630), exerc-step class at the Y. Not a terrible total for me but not so good on the calories from sugar. Oops.

Gayle-Sounds like an eventful bike ride-you got through it though. Good for you for getting in your exercise despite the obstacles.

Darcy-Congrats on the loss-excellent! Keep it goin' Girl, you are an inspiration.

Marie-Yep-lets just keep rowing that boat-we'll get there eventually.

Lucinda-Thx for the happy vibes-I can always use those!
  • Yummy protein shake for breakfast
    Took a salad w/ avocado ansd salsa to work for lunch w/ a tea
    Coffee w/ sweet n low, blue berries on a bed of greens and peppers/mushrooms for snack
    Dinner- chipolte/ vegan mayonnaise dressing on red cabbage , chestnut salad.
    I am not a strict calorie counter, I am avoiding sugar and wheat base carbs...
  • cals-1750 (390), ex-body sculpt class at the Y. Fairly decent day. I feel like I am getting closer to where I need to be. I think tracking the "sugar" calories is rather helpful-that is where I mainly get into trouble.

Lucinda-Now you have a healthy, smart menu. Sugar calories-0!
  • Hello all,

I'm sorry I don't post much lately. I guess I am feeling a little guilty because I haven't been consistent with either the eating right or the exercise. And feeling bad that I am not a better support to you all.

Some stressful family stuff ~ but maybe we (please God) are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Another challenging day (in the beginning anyway ~ got better as the time went on) with Maddie. She is 6 Marie. I attribute her acting out to the turmoil she has had in her little life with her parents separation and divorce last year. Sadly, scum boy (ex-son-in-law) has too much influence in that family.

Take care
  • cals-2450 (1340). exerc-none (left work too late and had to clean the house) Wow, those were some bad choices. Oh well. I am heading out of town tomorrow for a long weekend and went a little crazy after cleaning. I started the vacay a little early

Gayle-Don't worry, be happy (whenever possible). Just keep trying.
  • Eating was not so good, but it was a beautiful day weather wise. We (DH, Maddie and I) rode our bikes to the park. Maddie and another little girl played together. DH and I had a nice visit. Thankful for such nice days.

I've been working on ~ what started out to be ~ one of those photo memory quilts ~ for my mom. My sister suggested maybe it would be better for it to be a wall hanging, so that it wouldn't get washed and washed and eventually worn out. I had laid the squares out on my bed to sort of get a preview. I decided it was too big for a wall hanging, so I came up with another version/arrangement of the photo squares, that should work better for that purpose. I was gonna have a heart shape in the middle square, but didn't know how I was gonna be able to do what I wanted to do with an odd shaped piece, so I found something else I ended up liking even better.

Donna (from over on the GG's thread) wondered if my mom (who has dementia) would know who the people were in the pictures, and wondered if there was a way to put the names on with the pictures. So, I have figured out a way to do that.

Here are pics. #1 ~ the photo squares as a quilt. #2 ~ the photo squares as a wall hanging. #3 ~ the thing I found for the middle square

• Gayle, I love the picture quilt wall hanging. How did you get the pictures on the fabric? It's a wonderful idea. I' so glad that you had a nice bike ride with Maddie and DH. I get having former children-in-law that are scum.

Tera, I hope you have a fun weekend and you're doing great with the exercise.

Lucinda, you're so vibrant in your picture. That's awesome and you look great!

I'm doing well. Still walking the dogs every morning for my exercise. The asthma is fractionally better and the climbs I'm starting to push a little harder to get some aerobic out of it. I think I will be reunited with my elliptical eventually. I can't imagine how much fitness I lost because of the trip, asthma and illness. But it is what it is and I'll build it back.
    Marie
  • Marie ~ the pictures are printed on fabric. I got it at JoAnn Fabrics. It came in a pack of 10 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets. You put a sheet (cotton fabric with a paper backing on it) of it right in your computer printer and print a picture from your computer onto it ~ just like you would print it onto a page of paper. You let it dry a few minutes then peel off the paper and trim it. You can then iron onto the back of it some of that fusible webbing stuff, to iron it on and stick it to the fabric block you are placing it on. You can't wash it ~ dry clean only. The instructions are on the packet they come in. I put 2 ~ 5 x 7 pictures on each sheet.
  • Gayle, I think what you making is awesome. I'm currently making a couple quilts. One is a Quilt of Valor (google that for the website). It's a non profit that has people making quilts for returning war veterans. One is a Saturday quilting club sampler that I'm going to give to my sister. And lastly is my log cabin sampler quilt. Last weekend I finished a 24" x 60" mini quilt for my electric piano/keyboar to cover and protect it from dust. I LOVE quilting!!!!

The asthma seems minutely better. I've picked up the pace on the doggie hike. Dear pups and I did the 1.7 mile loop this morning in 31 minutes. that's pretty good for all the mountain inclines we do and of course stopping for puppy breaks. Eating hasn't been horrendous. Certainly not either.
    Marie
  • Hello all,

Marie ~ I think when I was reading online about quilting (this is my first time to attempt one) I read something about a special foot for the sewing machine called a "walking foot". Do you use something like that? Does one have to? Is it possible to do it with just the regular foot that comes with the machine. I'm not attempting anything fancy. Just real simple.

Hello Tera, Lucinda and Darcy.

Eating today ~ so - so. Not as good as it could have been, not as bad as it has been at times.

Exercise ~ had been going bike riding to the parks with DH and Maddie. I opted out today. Some of the parks have restrooms and others don't. I think I am gonna have to work something out with them ~ to either go to the parks that have a restroom, or that I opt out like I did today if they go to the ones that don't have facilities. Also, need to try harder to get in the exercise before Maddie gets home and then if I skip the park I won't have done nothing that day. The trip to the park could be bonus time

DD Jen (our youngest) had her baby today. The baby was due on Sunday, but didn't come. She had had a C-section with her first child and wanted to try to have a natural birth this time. They gave her until today and if the baby didn't come, a C-section again. So, we have a new little grandbaby. A little boy this time. Colin Carmichael 8 pounds 6 ounces. They live in NC, so it will probably be a while before we get to see him ~ other than pictures.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.
  • Gayle, congrats on the new grandson. I bet you're excited!!! A walking foot - I own one but have never used it. Sounds like a nice idea but as I said, I never used one. I can see where it would make stitching in the ditch easier for finishing a quilt. After the last one I machine quilted, I swore I was never doing it again. I plan to have my quilts done by a long arm quilter. In fact, I'm bringing two quilts to be long arm stitched tomorrow. In other words, I have two tops done. okay's project is to get the backing done.

Hi Lucinda, Darcy and Tera!!!

Still walking the dogs as exercise. I'm going on a 3 day ski mini-trip to Tahoe on Friday. I have a feeling it is going to kick me on my butt. I've lost so much fitness since I got sick. DH mentioned trying the elliptical this week and I rolled my eyes. The asthma won't let me and I don't think there's enough time before Friday to kick my butt back to the former level of fitness. But I do think I will try the elliptical at a reduced pace just because I need to regardless if my bronchial tubes don't agree.
    Marie
  • Oh Gayle ! Congratulations on becoming a grandmother again! I am being patient with my adult children but my own mother was a grandmother 5 times over when she was my age!
    My Dh and I went out to dinner with a group of friends, all of whom except for us have been friends for years. Two of the women noticed I have lost weight and were so supportive. I drank no wine/booze, I had called the restaurant ahead of time and they made me an enormous fresh vegetable salad with grilled portobello mushrooms, no sauce/oil or animal products. Every one oohed and ahhhed when my meal arrived.
    It was a triumphant moment.
  • Lucinda, WTG on being proactive on the meal out. You are doing great.

Another doggie hike this morning in the dark. I liked the full moon better as the moon is waning. I think it's waning... Food, not so bad at all today.
    Marie
  • cals-1975 (370), exerc-step class at the Y. I had a great time on my long weekend with my hubby in New Orleans. What a crazy place. Of course we had to eat all the Cajun goodies-jambalaya, muffaletta, beignet, Ferdi Special, pralines etc. We split a lot of that so the damage was minimal. We also did lots and lots of walking all over the French Quarter and a Sunday stroll around the garden district. But now I am especially motivated to get serious. The weather is warming up and I am too big for all the clothes I bought a year ago!

Gayle-Congrats on the new grandbaby. Lucky you!

Marie-Glad to hear you are mending and eating well. Keep it goin' !

Lucinda-good job with the planning. I am very into salads these days too. I went to the store this morning and loaded up on several greens and different add-ins for lunches this week. Yummmmm. I am also working on limiting the alcohol but I am not committing to that yet. After seeing the crazy behavior in New Orleans I am a bit more inclined to skipping those extra calories.
  • cals-2165(385) exer-body sculpt class at the Y. I am ready to admit I am a stress eater. Yesterday I was all chill and happy and ready to rumble on this weight loss thing. By the time I finished work today, I was an unhappy wreck in need of a food fix. I know, I know--time to look for a new job---again! That would be my fourth job in three years. Waaah. Not fair. I really should not count my "30 day" job but it certainly was part of the experience.