Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #46  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

KarenFL - I. AM. NEVER. COMING. TO. VISIT. YOU.

This is for Bobbi: Well, I guess you don't get the picture. 3FC wouldn't load either the original or the resized, either on Firefox or Chrome. I guess you'll have to go to FB.

Later, lovelies!

Oddly, it just won't let us use the attachment to insert a picture into the body of the message. Everything else seems to work. I'll change back to the picture of Samson after Bobbi has a chance to see this.

Last edited by jess1; 10-06-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #47  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
KarenFL - I. AM. NEVER. COMING. TO. VISIT. YOU.

Karen3 - Just what I was thinking! LOL Although I have been to Disney World a couple times. And the space place. But that was just enough of FL for me. Besides the critters you also get all those storms..so no, FL is definitely not for me!

We missed church this morning because we went across the river to cheer on our dd as she ran in the Portland Marathon. It as her first marathon and she did very well. We found a great place along the road to cheer her at the 16th mile and just before she headed up a big hill. She wanted us on the hill as knew she'd need the encouragement but it was blocked off so we chose the second best place and she really appreciated it. Doing this we got in some good exercise...must have walked at least two miles to and from our car. She passed within inches of us so it was very special.

Unfortunately we waited and waited as close as allowed to the finish line but still somehow missed her. So many people. She posted on FB she was finished so we finally got in touch with her and found out she was boarding the MAX to go to her car, so we tried to hurry (by then I was really stiff from standing so long!), and were thankful we got there in time to at least be able to see her inside the MAX and wave to her. She looks so nice and although I'm sure she was, she didn't show her tiredness at all. We are so proud of her! I haven't heard her stats yet but it appeared she made very good time.

I'm continuing my venture into eating colon-saving We ate lunch out and I was careful...few small pieces of soft chicken and fairly soft veggies and white rice and so far no pain. I did have a few twinges early this morning. I can see this is going to be a challenge but I really hope to avoid surgery.

Last edited by maryea; 10-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #48  

Hi everyone. we had such a nice day today. I felt well enuff to go to church and got to thank the folks who provided all the lovely meals this week. when we got home my dh and i made apple jelly together and we are still alive. my dh planted apple trees several yrs ago but they dont produce much. but he is so proud of his apples. last yr we got enuff for a pie. this yr he wanted to make jelly. we got about a gallon of apples and made jelly. it turned out really well and mr cranky learned its alot of work which tickeled my evil side. hoping your day was great too. rosey
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 179/172/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello all, checking in. We had friends over last night and I drank a lot of wine. so I don't feel very good this morning. In August I stopped drinking all together and have kept off the alcohol with a couple of minor exceptions since then - until last night. It's been such a boon to not drink, I hate those extra calories, and I don't like what it does to my head. So today I am drinking a lot of water and exercising.

Bobbi, I love what you wrote about gray hair - I agree, it feels good to just be my age and not appear to be trying to look different in that regard. It's only been two weeks with my new gray short hair look and I feel so good about it, what a big surprise!

I am going to try to just be in the moment today, and really taste my food and slow down. When I need to get a lot of things done, I try to go too fast and it isn't good. So today my mantra is: slow.

My mother-in-law is here for a week, and I really enjoy her. We watch old movies together and talk a lot about books. Yesterday we both got Bill Bryson's new book "1927" which is all about that year in American history. That also happens to be the year my mother-in-law was born. On Thursday night, which happens to be my birthday, we are going to go hear Bill Bryson speak. It will be fun and better than going out to a fancy dinner, which is what we were going to do.

Okay all, you are all giving me such a good feeling when I check in and read all the posts.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #50  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good morning

I'm starting a diet plan this morning, too many sweets lately that are making my jeans snug. I actually got on the scale, wasn't happy.

Rosey...nice people in your church, I'll bet they're sending desserts too.

Mary....good luck on your special diet, how long will you have to be on it?

Dee, I live with a Mr. Grouchy pants too. Our two grandkids aren't always comfortable around him. He expects so much out of them and can't understand why they don't do what their mom asks of them. Lynn's article about courtesy and respect should be read by my Mr. Grouchy/Cranky pants.
Quote:
Mr. Grouchy pants wants to go for a bike ride.
Donna...so how did you post the deer at the door picture? Is there anyway of posting pictures here? I don't do Facebook that often, mostly just to play Scrabble. KarenMo...I lied, I did watch the video of Sissy with Tim's apple pie dish and her warning growl. Cute!

We're off to the Y for exercising, my favorite thing to do...NOT.

K3...you're really giving me the creeps with your black snake story. If I turn a page in a magazine and see a snake picture, I jump in fear. I can't stand to watch them on TV, I shut my eyes. If I thought one might have crawled in the house, I wouldn't go to bed. I think I'll start looking at our mosquito infested state in a better light. You keep the snakes down there. Sleep tight my dear.

Julia....you can still be a 'hot' number with grey hair. Glad you're adjusting to it.

If I missed anyone, sorry. The cranky guy I live with wants to go to the YMCA for our torture.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #51  

Height: 5'3"

Up and Planning to go to the gym even though still stiff and sore from yesterday. I am so confused about what I can and can't eat, it's terrible! I wake up with very mild pain so how do I know? Is it just the colon trying to work or the food I ate yesterday? If it's after I eat I figure it's the food. It's always only mild now but it's all very I'm sorry it's probably in the category of TMI.
This is worse than dealing with diabetes...at least I know what to stay away from there.

Bobbi - This is for life if I want to avoid having further inflammation (diverticulitis) and infection. If I continue to have these episodes I may have to have a section of my colon removed. Doesn't sound nice at all! However what is confusing is knowing WHAT diet to be on...low fiber diets seem to be a potential for the problem but when you already have the inflammation you have to rest the colon so can't have much fiber (esp non-soluable). However when there is no inflammation, most articles recommend high fiber diet. My doctor says you just have to try foods to find out. So that's what I'm trying to do. I'm just like you about snakes and other creeping creatures be it mice or spides, lizards anything like that. A tiny spider doesn't bother me much if it's only one ..but a whole bunch of them even will freak me out. What can I say, I'm a wimp. I think you have to be really tough to live in FL.

Julia - I bet your hair is lovely..glad you are enjoying it. I'm about ready to give up on growing mine out. May not go back quite as short as my pic but am thinking of going in for a trim at least.

Rosey - Glad you're enjoying being home and able to do a bit more. Nice that you and dh had fun making jelly together! We rarely did things like that together but I do have a precious memory of all of us (6) making applesauce together one year.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey GG's. We spent our first whole weekend at the camp. Was it hot? Oh my gosh. Horrible. Then cool front came in Sunday morning. Wish I could have stayed then. We cleaned up the camp and came home. Went to church and supper at mil. It's packing time for our vacation. We leave Saturday!!!! The smokey mountain national park is still not opened but we decided to go any way and we will just go further north into Virginia. I'm hoping to trees are changing in to the fall colors. I'm making my list so I can get everything together. Dh serviced the truck and checked the brakes and all this morning. He even washed it!! Im excited. Can't wait until 3 am saturday morning!!

Be back later
Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #53  
Donna

Good Hola, Lovelies!

Bobbi - the only way I've figured to post pictures is to go to User CP and select "change signature". You can put your photo (one at a time, alas) in at the very bottom, as if you were changing your avatar. I have no idea why it won't accept pictures within text, as it always used to. WhatEVER.

Julia - you sound like you'll be a great addition to our group! Glad you're here.

Mary - good luck with the colon issues.

Rosey - glad you're home and doing so well!

Went to the PO for a certified letter, then did a little grocery shopping; now I'm crippled and am trying to get the pain to stop. I am not amused by this old age crap.

Hope you're all having a lovely day!!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

ps...I was wrong that freaky black snake is 48" long. That's a lot of lizard eating machine.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Karen---- did you name him????
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Who Mr Snake?......I really don't like them either. Having lived on the coast first in Md and now down here I have drawn a snake must not cross line and he's dead if he crosses it.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #57  
Donna

KarenFL - eiuuuuuuu, eiuuuuuuuuuuu, eiuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

My Dad always said the only good snake is a dead snake! I tend to agree with him!!

Last edited by Karen31; 10-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #59  
Bobbi

Donna....Eiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu is the correct word. We lived out in the country for about 30 years and I only saw 2 snakes in all those years. We moved to town and so far I've seen 2 snakes in our postage stamp size yard. (Creek running thru woods next to house, lots of frogs around, I think snakes must like frog legs)

KarenMo...you're dad was a smart man.
Quote:
My Das always said the only good snake is a dead snake! I tend to agree with him!!

Bruce is buying a salt block for the deer, yesterday a doe and two fawns were at the bird feeder. Donna, cute picture you posted about the doe at the door looking for seeds.

I have nothing important going on today, no Y exercising. YAH!

I did go on a half a$$ed diet yesterday. I didn't count calories like I usually do, just ate a normal breakfast. Some of us posted our menu's here daily to help keep us on track. I think I'll do that until I lose the few pounds I've put back on.
Mon.
Breakfast: Fiber One with coconut milk
Lunch: a frozen banana/mixed berry smoothie with coconut milk
Supper: Large lettuce/radish/napa cabbage/green onion/fresh apple and tuna salad with Asian dressing.

Keep on keeping on girls
Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #60  
Bobbi

Found this recipe on my email today, might make it without the fattening crust or use a Fiber One crust.
Quote:
1 9-inch pie crust
1/3 C. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
1 C. Splenda®, divided
1 1/2 C. water
4 eggs, separated
1/2 Tbs. margarine
1/2 C. lemon juice
1/4 tsp.cream of tartar

Bake the pie shell as per instructions and allow to cool.

Set oven to 400 degrees

In a saucepan, add the cornstarch, salt, and 3/4 C. Splenda. Add the water, and whisk vigorously over medium heat. When mixture comes to a boil and thickens, remove from the heat and set aside.

In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add approximately a cup of the cornstarch and Splenda mixture to the egg yolks, and whisk. Once combined, dump this mixture back into the
saucepanHYPERLINK \l "" with the rest of the cornstarch mix. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.

Remove the mixture from the heat and add the margarine and lemon juice. Whisk until combined. Dump the mixture into the cooled pie shell.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites on high until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until peaks form. Add the remaining Splenda and beat until the peaks stiffen.

Spread the meringue over the pie and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for at least one hour prior to serving.

Closed Thread