3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Where do you buy your plus size clothing? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/285924-where-do-you-buy-your-plus-size-clothing.html)

Woodland 06-25-2014 12:38 PM

Thrift stores work for me. I like older styles and I'm amazed at the clean, name brand clothes I can find. It does take time to sort through things, but the bargains are amazing!

MissKoo 07-06-2014 03:27 PM

I just have to add something here . . .

I've noticed that in Target and Macy's (here in VA) the "Women's" department consists of one or two racks with a bunch of scrunched up rejects on the hangers! Seriously, I see a lot of plus-sized women around AND in those stores but the last time I went into the Macy's "women" section, I burst out laughing; it was PATHETIC. I guess they don't want my business.

I like LB for some things (don't like the "burnout" see-through fashions), J Jill, Coldwater Creek, Women with Control (QVC), Marla Wynne (HSN), Talbots. I'll pay more for well-made clothes that will last! A lot of places have cute clothes but they fall apart so quickly. Not worth it. I had tried Catherines but the clothes seem expensive for what you get and most everything was too short for me (I'm a giraffe).

Just my two cents!

2feelbetter 07-06-2014 06:57 PM

plus size clothing

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooWicky (Post 4903271)

I pretty much love Dress Barn. What a name for a store, lol! But it's so nice to walk in somewhere and see a large area devoted to plus size clothing. The associates there have always been super helpful. My favorite purchases from there have been pants. I have also been wearing some of their store brand shapewear since I have been losing weight, and I'm really pleased with it, especially for budget shapewear!

I have to try stuff on. I have never successfully ordered any clothing for myself online, lol.

I like dress barn also. Another thing to keep in mind while reading these post are people's age. For instance I'm in my 50's and would never wear anything from Torrid.

I find Macy's had gotten better since a year ago. I like kohls also but like someone said it's really about what's next to you. I don't really like to order clothes online. I guess becasue I'm near so many stores.

Here is something interesting. I got a new supervisor recently and she is a plus size. I must say she always looks very nice and crisp.
That's what you notice with good fabric. It doesn't pill or lose it's shape. I was trying to figure out where she was shopping so I asked her a question just in general about plus size stores and she said she like. Coldwater creek ( think that's the name) well someone posted here recently that they are going out of business.

I've been getting a catalog in the mail for a few months from a company call M.I.B. They have very nice clothes are it's pretty pricey. Not as expensive as Saks's Salon Z but it would be nice to get one good item from them. They also use REAL PLUS SIZE MODELS I'm talking some of the models are at least a size 24.

Also there are alot of plus size bloggers that model what they are wearing and they post where they get their clothes from.

TamTam 07-23-2014 02:22 PM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKoo (Post 5036164)
I just have to add something here . . .

I've noticed that in Target and Macy's (here in VA) the "Women's" department consists of one or two racks with a bunch of scrunched up rejects on the hangers! Seriously, I see a lot of plus-sized women around AND in those stores but the last time I went into the Macy's "women" section, I burst out laughing; it was PATHETIC. I guess they don't want my business.

Just my two cents!

We have a Cato and Stage but they are SMALL stores and I don't even bother going in there because I always get the feeling that they send "us" the clothes that don't sell any place else. So sad.

TamTam 07-23-2014 02:27 PM

I just read online that Coldwater Creek is going out of business!

jmh6251 08-24-2014 01:27 PM

Thrift stores for me. Especially Goodwill. You wouldn't believe the beautiful high end clothes you can get for a fraction of the cost

emilyroxin 08-27-2014 09:55 AM

Oldnavy, DressBarn, Lane Bryant, Avenue are best online stores for plus size clothes. I used to buy from Avenue & Lane Bryant because they have wonderful quality products for healthy women’s. Even their online coupons are the best way to get their marvelous clothing items at affordable prices. You can visit couponpark.com to find avenue & lane bryant latest coupons.

Kaneloa 08-30-2014 04:10 PM

plus size Hawaiian clothes

I just joined and this is my first post. Hopefully I can add something substantive to the conversation: If you like Aloha shirts and other Hawaiian type clothing, this place has plus sizes: rats, link won't go through. Just google "wave shoppe" and you'll find it.
I've bought several aloha shirts from them and they're great.

Kaneloa 08-30-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamTam (Post 5045301)
I just read online that Coldwater Creek is going out of business!

If you go to Coldwater Creek's website, it says it's been bought and will soon reopen.

jmh6251 09-25-2014 11:54 PM

I also buy my clothes at thrift stores. They seem to have more of a selection of clothes that I like

love2garden 11-03-2014 09:40 AM

I finally found good looking dark jeans that FIT!!!! Catherines had some that were even petite so that at 5'2" I didn't have to hem them. Also the waist that is often 4 inches too large, but the two pair I bought, one doesn't have to wear a belt!! The other is a bit looser, but the dryer may take care of that.

I'll try the dressier slacks next time I need them.

I'm small busted so the tops at Cahterines don't quite work for me. Dress Barn works very well. Also have found fantastic jacket at Macy's and some tops that fit in colors I love.

I loved Coldwater Creek clothes, colors are out of this world, but so is cost. I miss just going inside to look.

imthegoddess 01-03-2015 04:14 PM

I like Stein Mart. I buy their dress pants for work. I like their style too. I also shop at dress barn, and I love QVC's Joan Rivers Collection. I have purchased several pieces from Joan Rivers' line. They fit true to size and the fabrics are nice. I need to check out CJ Banks since I saw one here recently.

Recently I took a chance and bought these Iman tops from HSN. IMAN Global Chic Rock the Runway Luxury Draped Must-Have Top. I am really pleased with the weight of the fabric and the quality. I purchased cream, back, and orange. Sorry, I can't post links yet, but if you just search these names on the HSN website, they will come up.

I also bought these pants. IMAN Global Chic "Slip Into Slim" Stretch Denim Sleek Boot-Cut Pant They are stretch pull-ons with a buttoned waist. They are super comfortable, and I can get by wearing the grey and black to work, and they don't look like denim. I'm 5'6" and they didn't need to be hemmed.

TOgden3 01-03-2015 06:59 PM

Lane Bryant, Woman Within, Roamans, Avenue

2feelbetter 01-04-2015 04:49 PM

more plussize

I just recently started shopping at Lord & Taylor. Thats going to be my new place.
So in order of choice.

Lord & Taylor
Macy's
Dress Barn

Lane Bryant
The Avenue

Recently I've noticed there are alot of plus size blogs online. Some of them are quite inspirational. Most of them are too young for me but they point you in yhe right directions. The owner of Lane Bryant has a online site that is really really inexpensive. It's like forever 21 but it's plus size.

imthegoddess 04-16-2015 09:31 AM

Going to put this here since it is kinda related. I took some things to the tailor and it made such a difference in the fit. She took two jackets in in the sides and shortened the sleeves a bit. Before, they looked loose and frumpy. The pants needed to be hemmed, but she also took in the thigh area too.