3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   What the H***! Is this hormones? Argh! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/284563-what-h%2A%2A%2A-hormones-argh.html)

happy dance 07-09-2013 01:42 PM

What the H***! Is this hormones? Argh!

Question for my 50's ladies --

In the past I would see a weight fluctuation of about two pounds at different parts of my cycle. I didn't like it, but it was predictable. Now that I'm 52, not only is my cycle unpredictable (why can't we just have an off switch? :mad:), but my weight is bouncing around like a roller coaster. I'm talkin' five to TEN pounds - no lie!

This is beyond frustrating - not to mention depressing. I don't seem to have a lot of other menopausal symptoms, maybe a few little heat surges (I don't know if they even qualify as hot flashes). So I don't even know if this is related to hormones at all.

Does anybody else out there have a similar experience?

geoblewis 07-09-2013 01:49 PM

Oh yes! I'm 52 as well and my weight bounces up and down by 10 lbs over the course of a week. And a recent overnight gain of 7 lbs. blew my mind!

Then there's the "grand announcements" of bloating and cramps, and then no period actually happens. Weeks go by, and just when I've given my last stash of tampons to a friend, my period starts without notice.

We should be able to get medical marijuana for this!

Unicorn67 07-09-2013 03:00 PM

I hate hormones!!! I'm only 46 but I've had no end of hormone grief the last 6-7 months. And I can't seem to lose a pound (except the same ones over and over again). I can go a month or two with no period but still get the cramps etc. like geoblewis and the weight gain but then if I don't get a period I don't get the loss after.

I blame hormones for absolutely everything!

happy dance 07-13-2013 02:46 PM

AAAAARGH! No applause for peri-menopause!

kaplods 07-13-2013 03:24 PM

At twelve years old, I told my pediatrician that I could lose weight easily if it weren't for pms/tom hunger. I also had very heavy, very painful periods and a long period on a short cycle. The doctor told my mother we could try birth control, but that weight gain was more common than weight loss.

Mom and I were both too worried about weight gain to take the risk. I didn't try birth control until my mid twenties when my period had gotten so painful, weight gain was the least of my worries.

I didn't lose any weight, but I did stop bingeing and gaining, and my periods were a lot less painful and on a 28 day cycle instead of 23-25.

Now, I'm finding at 47, that even on birth control, my hormones and menstral cycle are going haywire. A few days ago, after an unexpected gain of a few pounds, I woke with severe cramps and sure enough started my period, even though it wasn't due for 8 days.

I shudder to think what the symptoms would be like if I weren't on the birth control.

The pms/tom hunger is getting worse too - not as bad as before bc, but still noticeably worse than I've had to deal with on bc before.

So far, my doctor has reassured me that all the wacky symptoms are perfectly normal, and there's not much that can be done, that I'm not already doing.

It's driving me batty (which is a short trip, I'll admit).

KayMaxim 08-23-2013 12:57 AM

Yah I'm sure its the hormones. It happens...

DLS1 09-12-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy dance (Post 4792198)
AAAAARGH! No applause for peri-menopause!

I'm with you there my friend. It truly bites. This is my first ever diet, and my poor husband doesn't know whether to blame the new eating habits, or the weirdy hormones. It's both, who thought hunger and hormones could make me so weepy?:(

Ranch Girl 02-15-2014 12:54 AM

I am 53 and I have the weight fluctuations too. I am taking bioidentical hormones but still see fluctuations. The worse part is how much harder it is to lose weight...but I won't let that stop me. I see so many success stories regardless of age or circumstance. You are definitely not alone...

Ranch Girl

Pattience 02-15-2014 03:35 AM

Kaplods you sound a lot like a friend of mine who had all those symptoms. She ended up having a laparoscopy to have lumps from her fallopian tubes removed and she was greatly improved after that. Have you ever been to a gynaecologist to have that checked out?

Whacky weight gain in a week will just be water loss/gain. What's to worry about. Of course if you are eating a lot then it will be more than just water.

Tai 02-15-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranch Girl (Post 4944228)
I am 53 and I have the weight fluctuations too. I am taking bioidentical hormones but still see fluctuations. The worse part is how much harder it is to lose weight...but I won't let that stop me. I see so many success stories regardless of age or circumstance. You are definitely not alone...

Ranch Girl

Ranch Girl, may I ask how you like the bioidenticals? I have been in menopause for about a year and a half and really need some help with the symptoms.

Hang in there and stay strong with the fluctuations!

Ranch Girl 02-17-2014 02:11 PM

Bioidentical Hormones

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tai (Post 4944600)
Ranch Girl, may I ask how you like the bioidenticals? I have been in menopause for about a year and a half and really need some help with the symptoms.

Hang in there and stay strong with the fluctuations!

I LOVE the bioidentical hormones. I went months without sleeping through the night because of night sweats and hot flashes. When I take the bioidentical hormones regularly, I do not have hot flashes. I was also prescribed Trazadone to help with the hot flashes and sleeping through the night. It has been a god send.

Definitely consult your local doctor regarding bioidentical hormones. One thing, the hormones are expensive, but not sleeping was killing me so I pay the price of the hormones.

Good luck!

Ranch Girl

lotsakids 02-17-2014 05:26 PM

I stopped having a period 5 years ago but at certain points during the last year have had 2 light periods. I went to the doctor and he did a biopsy, nothing showed. I also read that because fat stores estrogen, losing weight can cause the estrogen to get loose starting some hormonal issues. I am now having hot flashes again and a once a month weight gain/loss thing going on. I woke up to a 5 pound gain today... miserable stuff these hormones!

canadjineh 04-22-2014 04:34 PM

I'm 50 and have been taking Vitex herbal supplements by "WomenSense" for a few years to help reduce symptoms of PMS/perimenopause. Seems it works pretty good for me - only symptoms are 2 or 3 days before my period I get huge cravings to eat a pound of cheese straight and chase it with jiggers of Frank's Hot Sauce (actually drink the stuff). I don't even have to check the calendar, for both me & DH it's a sign we recognize, lol. In my case it's hard to know what actual menopause will be like since none of my living female relatives have gone through this naturally - they have all had to have surgeries for bad ovarian cysts or hysterectomies due to severe endometriosis pre-menopause - some even in their 20's. As you can imagine my docs & I keep a close eye on things, just in case. I have had a couple of light hot flashes - woke me up at night - but then again, it could be because I drank Frank's, lol. :devil:

Liana

Runundefined 05-18-2014 02:56 PM

I have had the same thing.. crazy weight fluctuations over the last few months. I just now (this month) started Bio Identical hormones. My hormones were all over the place. I also finally got a Dr. that did a full battery on my thyroid and now have a bit (only a bit) of thyroid med that hopefully will help.

I hope to see some results... Just had to share that I'm one more with you on the hormone rollercoaster!

LRH 05-19-2014 07:27 AM

There is hope! I am in menopause, the worst thing for me is the hot flashes. They are subsiding (4 a day instead of 10). I don't know what my weight was doing because I didn't weigh for most of the year--too scared! However, once I got my mind back in control, I have been averaging two pound losses per week. I was worried that losing weight would be difficult at this time of life, but, being stubborn, I wasn't going to go down without a fight. I am not taking any hormones or other meds. Just wanted to give a positive side to the subject.