3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Restaurant Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/274277-restaurant-challenge.html)

betsy2013 01-26-2013 11:18 AM

Restaurant Challenge

We're having a birthday celebration tomorrow, and everyone but me wants to go out. I want to eat in to control the menu. But, I need to learn to eat out as well.

My dieting buddy told me that a lot of restaurants have web sites, and they often have their menu posted. So, I found the site, looked at the menu, and noticed they even had nutritional info available. After gasping at just entrees that would run between 1000-1200 calories (how can you fix tilapia so that it has 1200 calories????), I realized that meal with an entree, side, bread, and dessert would run in the 2500-3000 calorie range.

So, figured out that their Asian Chicken Salad was a little over 300 calories, their cup of french onion soup was another 150 and that was what I would eat. I'm not even going to open the menu when I get there tomorrow.

I am so glad that my friend suggested this. What tips do others have for eating out and staying on plan?

April Snow 01-26-2013 12:45 PM

Definitely exactly what you did - do the research ahead of time and figure out what you are going to have. And don't be afraid to ask them to modify things when you need.

I am doing a low carb plan, so I skip any starchy sides - I have a piece of grilled fish or meat and grilled veggies. I don't even want the starch side on my plate, why should I have to worry about using willpower to not eat it, I'd rather be able to focus on enjoying what I can have!

weight2lose 01-26-2013 01:20 PM

I'm going out for dinner tonight, and I'll eat something at home prior to going out. I'll be looking for something small and low carb at dinner.

Rob

gailr42 02-06-2013 02:25 PM

Checking the menu, as you did, and eating something before going out, as Rob suggests are terrific tips.

I eat out with a girl friend who lost 50 lbs on WW. She always takes half of her meal home for the next day's dinner. I have even heard of folks who get the doggie bag/box before the meal and immediately put half the meal away so they won't be tempted.

In my case, I have to choose a small meal, like you did, Betsy. I either can't resist eating the whole thing, or if I take it home, I eat it the minute I walk in the door. LOL. I am pretty old, but not very mature when it comes to eating.

I was very surprised to find that Costco's hot dog had almost as many calories as one slice of their pizza. The pizza is way better.

Misti in Seattle 02-06-2013 04:49 PM

I have found that most restaurants will serve you a grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies at a reasonable price, even if it is not on their menu.

KittieKat 02-06-2013 11:43 PM

I love to eat out, so this is hard for me to give it up completely. On Saturday night we go out to eat and I give myself a pass as my one meal a week to go over board a little. I've found mentally it's worth it for me to know I have Saturday night.

sdejager 02-27-2013 03:56 AM

I went to a nice steakhouse last week. When I got my filet there was a beautiful side of garlic mashed potatoes on my plate. I took a heavenly whiff of them and then politely asked the waitress to "get them the h*** off my plate!" There was no way I could look at them while eating my steak. LOL. The waitress laughed when I told her that i was TRYING to avoid carbs.

427pounder 02-27-2013 11:54 AM

How did it turn out? Did you stick to the plan? I need to start doing this as well because we eat out every Sunday.